BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's EOY 2018, now COMPLETED. who won...?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Dec 11 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I'm doing it guys! Even though I didn't finish my 2017 I swear I'll finish this one! Maybe I'll go for less commentary or something...

Anyway this will be done by PLAYS through the year, because I've been here 3 years and I still don't understand the points things. (If someone could explain to me or give a go, that would be fab! and I could maybe give that a spin for 2019!)

As we speak the top 2 are continually in flux and we'll be keeping tracking plays as we go through, so ultimately what they are when I finish might not be the same as when I start! All solid tracks though.

We have a nice diversity of genre this year and no huge dominance by any one act like we've had in previous years by Rihanna (2016) and Lana and Nicki (2017). Expect some representation from pop, latin, country, dance, metal, r&b, rap, pop rock, rock, and of course a few BJSC discoveries wink.gif The vast majority of my #1s through the year will be charting, and I think just about everything in the top 100 charted at some point during 2018, which isn't always the case. (on my personals that is - this year I veered WILDLY away from what's generally been popular in the official charts in the UK and around the world). To date this year only 2 UK #1s have been chart toppers for me, and tho I've charted 9 of the 15, only 6 of those have been even top 20 for me. Diversity!

Right, I will start this proper in a few days or maybe a week to give everything just a little more time to build up steam, and because I'm torn between discomfort starting this before the year ends, and no-one reading it because it's horribly out of date and no fun if I do it in 2019 :')

In the meantime, feel free to predict or guess what artists might be charting! Or have a chat with me biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by TheJüpreme: Jul 13 2019, 04:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 11 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #2
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I had the discomfort of finishing my EOY in March last year and no-one commented until about a week after when I'd put a link to it in my weekly chart tongue.gif

Looking forward to seeing what's here anyway and hopefully making some discoveries!

(I don't think there's a set-in-stone points system, for your chart I guess it would be 40 points for your #1 and 1 point for your #40 but I found that gives some horribly inaccurate results because some parts of the year were really active/really dull so I tweaked quite a bit of it!)

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Dec 11 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Really excited for it!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 12 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #4
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Looking forward to this

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 14 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #5
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Hyped for this <3 Haha I'm in the same situation of not finishing 2017 so let's both try & get through it this year laugh.gif kink.gif

Hopefully Lana will turn up with Mariners here as she dominated 2017 <3

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 15 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks guys!

To start us off I will actually list the top 100 of 2017!

I debated going back to finish it now but I'm not really in the space any more to even have anything to say about half of the songs, it's too long ago :')
To be fair to me the main reason I didn't finish it was being hospitalised for a big chunk of last January. Talk about a momentum killer. Hopefully that won't happen this year!

(thread with commentary of the first 80 here)

01 DJ Khaled/Rihanna - Wild Thoughts
02 Gaga - The Cure
03 Garrix/Lipa - Scared to be Lonely
04 Jason/Nicki - Swalla
05 Chainsmokers/Jhene - Wake Up Alone
06 DuaLipa - Be the One
07 Syn Cole/Nevve - Sway
08 KP - Chained to the Rhythm
09 LanaDelRey/Wknd - Lust for Life
10 Katy/Migos - Bon Appetit

11 Inna/Erik - Ruleta
12 Inna - Gimme Gimme
13 XX - Seasons Run
14 LM/Stormzy - Power
15 Paperwhite - Only Us
16 Era/Felix Snow - Redrum
17 Calvin/Migos/FrankO - Slide
18 Jhene Aiko - OLLA
19 Halsey/LaurenJ - Strangers
20 Garrix/Troye - There for You

21 LittleBigTown - Don't Die Young
22 Jax/Demi/Stefflon - Instruction
23 Smltwn/Lisa - Erased the Night
24 Young Summer - Alright
25 Guetta/Nicki - Light My Body Up
26 Blackpink - Playing with Fire
27 Grace/Yachty/Cassidy - Honor
28 Cashmere/Jhene - Plz Don't Go
29 Sophie EllisB - Wild Forever
30 Infernal - Hurricane

31 Lorde - Green Light
32 FOB - Young and Menace
33 Nicki/Wayne/Drake - No Frauds
34 CleanBandit/Zara - Symphony
35 Katy/Nicki - Swish Swish
36 Haim - Little of your Love
37 LonGram - Rooting for You
38 LanaDelRey - Coachella
39 CharmingHorses/GraceGrundy - You Get What You Give
40 Una Healy - Battlelines

41 Sigrid - Plot Twist
42 Rita Ora - Anywhere
43 Tinashe - Flame
44 Whethan/XCX - Love Gang
45 Blackpink - As If It's Your Last
46 TOLD - Return Forever
47 Luis Fonsi - Despacito (original)
48 MuraMasa/XCX - 1 Night
49 Emily Zeck - Two Cents
50 LM - No More Sad Songs

51 YoGotti/Nicki - Rake It Up
52 XX - Dangerous
53 TN&F - Last Forever
54 Shura - What Happened To Us?
55 Dua Lipa/Wale/Lazer - My Love
56 Jhene Aiko - While We're Young
57 Dulsae/Elsa&Emelie - Chains of Promises
58 G-Eazy/Bebe - FFF
59 Youngr - Monsters
60 LOLO - Shine

61 XCX/Uffie - Babygirl
62 MisterWives - Coloring outside the lines
63 M0 - Nights With You
64 BearsDen - Broken Parable
65 Sage Gem - Reverse
66 Sia - Move Your Body
67 Lana Del Rey - Groupie Love
68 Joseph&Maia - Pouring Light
69 Brooke Candy - Volcano
70 Lorde - Sober

71 Deaf Havana - St Paul's
72 LM - Touch
73 Sage Gem - Now and Later
74 Nelly Furt - Paris Sun
75 Carly Rae - Cut to the Feeling
76 Nelly Furt - Magic
77 Smallpools - Million Bucks
78 Alt-J - 3WW
79 Dej Loaf - No Fear
80 St Clair - Heavy on my Heart

81 Pink - What About Us
82 Weeknd - I Feel it Coming
83 Marian Hill - Wild
84 Little Big Town - Lost in California
85 Lana Del Rey/Stevie Nicks - BPBP
86 Stefflon Don/French Montana - Hurtin Me
87 Blanche - City Lights
88 Lana Del Rey - Cherry
89 The Naked & Famous - Higher
90 2NE1 - Goodbye

91 Miniature Tigers - Crying in the Sunshine
92 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
93 VERITE - Saint
94 Rachel K Collier - Ships
95 Lil Debbie - Work With That
96 Goldfrapp - Anymore
97 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma
98 London Grammar - Wild Eyed
99 Lana Del Rey - Love
100 Yungen/Yxng Bane - Bestie

A quick look at this list reveals we will be seeing at least 25 of the above artists in 2018's countdown, and some big gaps from none of the above releasing anything this year, most notably last year's leader, Rihanna!

Countdown looking to start perhaps sometime during this week biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 15 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Lots of mainstream tracks in your 2017 Top 10, from what you've said we probably won't get a repeat of that this year ohmy.gif

Nice to see Hurricane there, I think that was my favourite from the mini-revival of Infernal last year! A solid dance tune.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 18 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 15 2018, 07:12 PM) *
Lots of mainstream tracks in your 2017 Top 10, from what you've said we probably won't get a repeat of that this year ohmy.gif

Nice to see Hurricane there, I think that was my favourite from the mini-revival of Infernal last year! A solid dance tune.

Weeellll there will be some, but not as mainstream as an official UK #1 at the top of the tree!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 27 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Okay folks, time to start! Slight delay as I've had a main internet detox for the last few days. Back in the saddle now though.

In terms of appearances, this year's leaders will be two sets of collaborators interestingly enough; Sean Paul, Jhene Aiko, Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande have landed three appearances each on 2018's countdown.

As I'm a little late, I'll be dropping the first 10 songs all at once in this first set!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 27 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

100) BROOKE CANDY, MYKKI BLANCO, PUSSY RIOT + MNDR - MY SEX

2018 peak: #6

Starting off with a bang! Brooke Candy dropped her rap-pop persona this year to fall into electroclash and riot grrl, suggesting she might be moving to follow the path of another of my fave queer party starter artists, Peaches! Brooke continues her run of appearing in my top 100s by the skin of her teeth, landing her fourth in a row this year despite releasing hardly anything every year. An EP might be coming in 2019 though, and she's just leaked a load of her own songs too. Azealia who?? A fun list of collaborators here too show her learning from previous collab pal and BuzzJack fave Charli XCX.

99) ALT-J, MR JUKES, THE AGE OF LUNA - PLEADER (REMIX)

2018 peak: #31

A low-peaker that picked up solid plays through the year returns Alt-J here for a second year running, although not reaching the heights of their very successful 2014 and 15. The remix album wasn't unfortunately as solid throughout as this cut from it. More leftfield collabs like Hunger of the Pine (ft. Miley Cyrus) in 2019 please guys!

98) G-EAZY, ANNA OF THE NORTH - PICK ME UP

2018 peak: #3

On the flip, this was a great leftfield collab. G-Eazy had a very strong 2018 in general, landing three more top ten hits off the back of the Cardi B-starring No Limit released at the tail end of 2017. Anna of the North contributes a catchy chorus hook here very unlike her previous work, but more along these lines would be welcome! Since around 2016 she's been on my radar, but until now I'd struggled to really gel with any of her work. This was a great find from G-Eazy's (very solid) latest album.

97) DEAF HAVANA - SINNER

With pure alt rock Deaf Havana got me right on board in 2017, but I had thought for a band with moderate but not much better success nearing a decade in the industry, they might not go on to release anything much else. Could I have been more wrong? 2018 saw the group immediately follow-up 2017's album with a new one released this summer, which has landed several tracks in this top 100. I was sure on first hear of this one it might be their first #1 for me - infectious energy - but unfortunately at the time it was blocked by a few big hitters. Nevertheless, they managed one this year - which is still to come a bit higher up!

96) JORJA SMITH - BLUE LIGHTS

2018 peak: #5

Former BJSC hit (apparently, before my time) which saw a re-release this year, giving Jorja by far her highest charter on my personals. Once again, she got a pity chart in early 2018 following her Sound Of win, but I had thought after that she'd sink like a stone before coming out with this classic. Her album was surprisingly solid too although a little melancholic for my tastes. Eager to see what she brings us in 2019, though.

95) PALOMA FAITH - KINGS AND QUEENS

2018 peak: #2

I didn't expect to see Paloma Faith having a successful 2018 for me at the end of last year, knowing that she takes long album cycles. The singles released before her latest album The Architect made little to no impact on my charts, so I was resigning her mentally to having lost the plot a bit this year, but the album had some hidden gems! Kings and Queens was the first standout track to me on first listenthrough of the album and actually challenged for the top spot this spring. Paloma followed upthrough the year with a chart topper anyway (still to come) and two further top tens (which aren't), with possibly another, Final Breath, threatening to crack my top ten this week. Definitely one to check out even if you didn't like the singles!

94) SMALLPOOLS - STUMBLIN HOME

2018 peak: #13

A surprise two years running appearance for indie boys Smallpools who started me off on BJSC just a little before this time last year, as follow-up Stumblin Home was a moderate hit with me this year. A version of this featuring The Aces was also sent for me to BJSC - but I do prefer, and am used to, the solo!

93) SAY LOU LOU - GOLDEN CHILD

2018 peak: #24

The girls are back! And with quite a lowkey return. SLL's first album was pitch-perfect dream pop and nearly every track from it was a hit on my personals, but they've stepped back a bit since then. After several years of radio silence and sporadic covers, they dropped short album (EP?) Immortelle this October, and it's...definitely different. They've gone for a HAIM-ish retro/soundtracky sound this time round, which is different but not bad. This one has a spooky vibe that gives it good replayability. Also on the album you'll find both pop rock and trip-hop. Check it out! This was another long-runner, pinballing between #40 and its peak of #24 for around seven or eight weeks without making it any higher.

92) J BALVIN, NICKY JAM - X (SPANGLISH VERSION)

2018 peak: #10

First slice of Latinx music this year with the addictive X by J Balvin and Nicky Jam. I can't recall whether this was a hit in the UK or not, but it definitely got good music channel rotation, I used to always see it on at my previous job. Expect to see Balvin again a bit higher up with everyone's favourite flavour of the month rapper Cardi B!

91) MGMT - WHEN YOU DIE

2018 peak: #1

And finally for these first ten, our first #1 of 2018 (that made it in to the countdown) drops out. (If you're interested, those that didn't make it are the current holder - Nicki and Lil Wayne's Good Form, Nicki again with Majesty, Inna's Nirvana, Eminem's River, Simian Ghost's Eat the Rich, and if something else takes the final #1 of the year! In any case, this was a welcome return for MGMT and was a minor hit on my 2017 charts that rose slowly over ten weeks of growing on me into the top ten, top 5, and finally to taking the #1 spot. As many of its plays were accrued in 2017, they've been discounted, which is why such a long-runner only manages this low. 2019 might be prime time to revisit the album for any more gems!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 27 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #11
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Love Blue Lights

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 28 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #12
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

Oh I didn't actually realize 'Stumblin' Home' was originally just a Smallpools song! I'll give that version a listen, and will check out 'Pick Me Up' too as a G-Eazy and Anna Of The North collab sounds randomly intriguing ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 28 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Was great to see Blue Lights in the chart, a one-of-a-kind song I think! Stumblin' Home is the only other one I think I've heard and it's nice enough but not something I go back to really.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Dec 29 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

X was not a hit in the UK, but you'd certainly not believe it if you ever went out regularly in London like myself - I don't think it's physically possible to avoid hearing it!

I like the production on Blue Lights but not the vocals sadly.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 29 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

So many comments guys! Ah great thoughts biggrin.gif can't believe X wasn't a UK hit either! The public have no taste...

More incoming shortly!

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Dec 29 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

I stand corrected, turned out it just scraped the top 75!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Dec 29 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

90) ANNE-MARIE - 2002

2018 peak: #15

A nice return for Anne-Marie who has been once again - though still not that convincingly - challenging for main pop girl status in 2018, at least by UK standards. This was a cute wee bop that was unlucky in my personals, landing between 15 and 20 for six weeks running, but unable to progress beyond that. I still don't really *get* Anne-Marie, but she's not bad. I will eat my words - I was deeply critical of this before it came out, but it's cute and inoffensive and I'm not bothered by it. At least it's an Ed co-write and not a feature!

89) ARIANA GRANDE - BREATHIN

The second of our frequent appearers makes her first appearance now following Deaf Havana's in the last batch. Breathin was a solid third single from Ari's fourth album which she's already quickly moved on from into a new era coming in 2019, but also easily my least favourite of those three singles. Predictably, the other two are still to come, but will be a LOT higher up.

88) THE SHIRES - ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE

2018 peak: #9

Our first foray into country pop now at #88, for one of just a few times this year. The Shires are a UK duo, still quite a small niche in the UK country music, but growing every year it seems.

87) SOPHIE - IT'S OKAY TO CRY

2018 peak: #7

Didn't come across SOPHIE properly until this year though I knew OF her, it was my impression she was solely a producer and didn't do her own stuff. This was a fab discovery, dark and light at once, a shimmery sad song that could be Robyn if she was going for a vocoder sound this time round. More like this in 2019, please!

86) LYKKE LI, AMINE - TWO NIGHTS

2018 peak: #21

Actually Ms Li's lowest peaking track for me this year is the one that makes it highest into the countdown thanks to continual small plays. Lykke charted also Deep End and Jaguars in the Air this year from her unexpectedly trap (!) 4th studio album as a solo artist. The swedish songstress has a long history on my personals, being on my radar more than a decade now, from her first EPs. Nothing from this era made it beyond top 20, but in the past she had a run of 5 top 10 singles between 2010 and 2012 culminating in a #1 with I Follow Rivers (The Magician Remix). Still a fave, anyone know it?

85) BIRTHDAY BOY, TRISH - MAGIC

2018 peak: #7

Lounge music made a big comeback for me in 2018 (and into 2019 too, I think), and this is the first of its genre to drop in this countdown. Both Birthday Boy and Trish are relative unknowns to me, although they've since charted another collab for me (Golden Medal) and have a full collaborative EP out, on spotify and youtube too.

84) WEEZER - AFRICA

This was a fun bop. Who doesn't like Africa, and it's always nice when a band does what their fans want of them!

83) M0, DIPLO - SUN IN OUR EYES

M0 returns with this to the top 3 after a rollercoaster few years that saw her reach the top spot with Lean On, go pop, release a string of non-album singles and leftfield collaborations, and finally return with a second album several years too late to capitalise on her brief moment in the sun as a pop girl. Oh well. This was still a solid track though and a cute video even despite her awful Ellen Degeneres circa 1999 hair!

82) CARLY RAE JEPSEN - PARTY FOR ONE

Carly's welcome return and first chart topper for me is next to drop. The video gets you hooked on this song at first - before its own hooks complete the sell. As a late in the year release this does well to get this high - testament to the power of Carly Slay. Get her a sword!

81) SEAN PAUL, JHENE AIKO - NAKED TRUTH

2018 peak: #4

First dropper now for both Sean Paul and Jhene Aiko, the third-last and second-last of my top artists to appear this year and lose one of their three entries in this year's 100. (Predictably for this stage, it's Nicki Minaj that still has all three of her three appearances to come). One of the highlights of Sean Paul's 2018 EP, Jhene contributes a solid hook and chorus to this collab which is a bit of a slow jam by Sean Paul's standards, with a slinky and self-assured beat. This seems to - yeah, really late now - be getting a push as a single now, but it's already well been and gone on my personals. Solid from both though, and is Jhene's second-highest peaking song of 2018.

This post has been edited by M˙rtleSnow: Dec 29 2018, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 1 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Giving Magic a listen - definitely sounds like a grower, liking the chilled vibes! Accidentally on Purpose is sounding really nice as well, haven't heard much Shires this year ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 4 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

80) SABRINA CARPENTER - ALMOST LOVE

2018 peak: #12

A frequent player for Sabrina starts off this batch. The young singer launched a nice comeback this year following her acoustic era that debuted her on my charts with a #1 and nothing else, diversifying into both dance songs - like this one - and retro throwback pop towards the end of the year. Her other dance collab this year, Alien, will be appearing too a little further up. Intrigued to see if she makes the transition to pop princess in 2019.

79) AVICII, ALUNAGEORGE - WHAT WOULD I CHANGE IT TO

To date this is unfortunately the young tragically passing DJ's swan song entry, peaking within my top ten following his death and finding more poetic space with the mellow and somewhat fatalistic lyrics. This also picked up plays towards the end of the year, sounding better in the mellow and reflective winter months of this year. AlunaGeorge make their first appearance since topping 2016's list.

78) FEMME EN FOURRURE - SEER

A wonderful find late in the year from my BJSC entry from last Spring. That entry will be appearing too here, higher up. No promises I won't self-recycle this for BJSC at some point!

77) CARDI B, BAD BUNNY, J BALVIN - I LIKE IT

J Balvin's second appearance and our first appearance for a female rapper this year. Much as I'm neutral to Cardi personally (gosh, she seems like such an awful person sometimes, and the defenses of her as if she was a troubled teen, not a mid twenties divorced millionaire mother are just really fatiguing) this was a grade A bop and such a summery hit. If she can throw out more tracks like this and less shoes and shade, she might win me over right into her camp yet. If.

76) RITA ORA - LET YOU LOVE ME

The hit Rita needed to redeem the controversial 'Girls' from earlier this year makes it all the way to here despite being a late in year release. Rita has most definitely won me over and her finally-released 6 years on 2nd album was a solid pop effort, cementing her as one of my pop faves tbh. It's one of two top 5s she landed for me this year, the other - For You, with Liam Payne - just misses out landing in the top 100 after a strong start in the Spring.

75) PRIDES - ON OUR OWN

The Scottish duo - formerly trio - got their highest peaking track this year after racking up a string of top 20s and 40s since their chart debut, is it five years ago now? Would love to see them getting a mainstream or indie hit single in 2019, they deserve it with their solid releases so far.

74) KREWELLA, VAVA, YELLOW CLAW - NEW WORLD

Another BJSC act of mine lands here alongside the first of two tracks for Krewella. The producer-singer duo made an unexpected chart comeback four years on from their previous peak (Enjoy the Ride - a solid gym song) and having released plenty songs I was tbh underwhelmed by in the interim. Vava's BJSC entry fell just short of the top 100 this year. The girls have yet to come a #1.

73) DJ KOZE - PICK UP

Another BJSC one - and not one of mine! The divisive track by DJ Koze quickly became a fave for me in its contest and beyond, despite its odd video.

72) GOLDFRAPP, DAVE GAHAN - OCEAN

2018 peak: #22

This remake of Ocean was a slow burner on my charts and picked up a late surge towards the end of the year. Gahan brings something more to the track than Alison's original IG solo version released back in 2017. Purity Ring vibes tbh.

71) AZEALIA BANKS - TREASURE ISLAND

2018 peak: #6

And it's another lady rap song. Azealia had such strong output this year, including the zany Christmas EP she dropped without warning in December which has her actually singing standards! I know. She's still an interesting character personally, but she does make good points mental health and gender wise that many of the things she gets slammed for are things that people turn - or turned - a blind eye to coming from Kanye or Eminem in his heyday. In any case, she's hella talented and makes great music, which has been the case since her debut to now. I still support that, at least.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 5 2019, 05:15 AM
Post #20
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

'Almost Love' was not quite as amazing as 'Thumbs' or 'Why' IMO but still catchy and one I came back to a lot. People really do need to stop overlooking Sabrina though, she's a talent for sure!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:46 PM