BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hey You (Free Up Your Mind) or Sophisticated Lady?, Solo B Sides with backing vocals from another Spice Girl!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which is your favourite?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
-Jay-
post 1st October 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Two of the solo B Sides have backing vocals from another Spice Girl. Emma's 'Hey You (Free Up Your Mind)' features backing vocals from Melanie C, while Mel B's 'Sophisticated Lady' has Emma on backing vocal duty!

Which song do you prefer? biggrin.gif

Previous Polls:

We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight or Crickets Sing for Anamaria? [Last singles from Emma's first two albums that missed Top 10]
Who Do You Think You Are or Holler [Uptempo songs from Double A Side singles]
Mama or Let Love Lead the Way [Ballads from Double A Side singles]
Outer Space Girls or Walk of Life [Too Much B Sides]
Downtown or Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) [Children in Need Charity Singles]
Never Be the Same Again or I Turn to You [Melanie C UK #1 Singles]
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st October 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Sophisticated Lady is pretty ace actualy! It would have been a really nice addition to Hot in my opinion. Better than some of the songs in there, for sure. x

+Quote this post
dachiki
post 1st October 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 78,056

Sophisticated Lady

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 2nd October 2019, 02:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

Sophisticated Lady

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd October 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I chose Sophisticated Lady too (even though I dislike how she sounds singing "GO DEXTER, GO DEXTER DEXTER"!)

It's definitely the most British sounding song she created throughout her first era. Maybe she made a mistake going in an Americanised direction on Hot?

+Quote this post
southernstar
post 2nd October 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 41,834

Oh gosh...I love them both! I've voted for Hey You (Free Up Your Mind)….

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd October 2019, 12:11 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Sophisticated lady.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 4th October 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

I like the vocal melodies and instrumentation of 'Sophisticated Lady'. But the sparse lyrics are about sex rather than being a sophisticated lady. To me it seems very hastily thrown together.

'Hey You (Free Up Your Mind)' feels like it was a day's work away from being a single contender. Just needs a little more tempo. So I voted for that one.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: 4th October 2019, 08:27 AM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st October 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Sophisticated Lady.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 2nd November 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Oct 4 2019, 03:26 AM) *
'Hey You (Free Up Your Mind)' feels like it was a day's work away from being a single contender. Just needs a little more tempo. So I voted for that one.

I think this too. Free Up Your Mind is a strong song...that needed more oomph in the production. It's a little wimpy as it is. If Rhett Lawrence gave this track the same love he clearly gave Never Be the Same Again, it could have been a hit...and a highlight of Emma's solo career.

So. As it's a more substantial song...I vote Free Up Your Mind...but I actually really like Sophisticated Lady too. I love those early releases from Mel B's solo career. I Want You Back, Word Up and Sophisticated Lady all share a certain dark vibe (the recently leaked I Got My Eye on You has it too). It sounded like we were getting a really cool Scary Spice album. I realize Sophisticated Lady being so lovey about Jimmy meant it would never end up on Hot. But. I like it quite a bit better than more than half the album. Too much of Hot sounds anonymous. Sophisticated Lady sounds like Mel B through and through. I just wish there were something more to the song.

Side note. Besides Emma, why were the guest vocalists during Mel's Hot recordings so obscure? She had the biggest producers in the world working with her...and she was singing with people no one's heard of...

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 3rd November 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

QUOTE(Piers @ Nov 2 2019, 08:44 PM) *
Side note. Besides Emma, why were the guest vocalists during Mel's Hot recordings so obscure? She had the biggest producers in the world working with her...and she was singing with people no one's heard of...

Actually still quite enjoy 'Pack Your Shit'. For some reason I remembered that as a duet with Sisqo. I must've been wrong there.

I reckon, with a clean language version it could've been a single. 'Pack your Filth' maybe? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Piers
post 3rd November 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Nov 3 2019, 07:45 AM) *
Actually still quite enjoy 'Pack Your Shit'. For some reason I remembered that as a duet with Sisqo. I must've been wrong there.

I reckon, with a clean language version it could've been a single. 'Pack your Filth' maybe? laugh.gif

If memory serves correctly, it was Hell No and Hotter that Sisqo was involved with...but the relationship soured and he had his name removed when Mel made changes to the production.

I don't especially like the three Teddy Riley songs. Mel said they didn't get along. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have said another producer on Hot told Mel she couldn't sing...and it really seems like it's Riley. He's a brilliant producer, but I think he saddled Mel with leftover tracks. ABC123 is way too boring for Mel B...and I Believe is about twice as long as it should be and certainly qualifies as the most redundant thing a Spice has done. Pack Your Shit's the best of them...but in the context of the rest of Hot...I always thought it was trying too hard to be edgy or something. Though...I do like how she sings "...come round here no MAHHHH..."

This may be a rare opinion...but to me, the forgotten gem of Hot is Step Inside. I think it's catchy and interesting beginning to end. I even think it's better than what most consider to be the big missed opportunity for a single (Hotter) and it certainly towers over Lullaby. Paired with a dark, weird video in the vein of I Want You Back, I think it could have been a cool project.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:07 AM