BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My Top 40 Fave Top 40 Hits Year By Year..., 1960-1999 all done
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #181
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,410

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 6 2020, 11:16 AM) *
ooh, 1998 down to a mere 2 chart-toppers from me there - Madonna's Power of Goodbye, Cher. Though lots of goodies, more madonna, Ramirez, Stardust, Ace Of base, Tin Tin Out (stood next to Shelly Nelson and her mum backstage at Radio 1 roadshow that year. Didn't say anything, too shy), Garbage, Green Day.

T'others I loved: Millennium/Let Me Entertain You, If You Tolerate This..., To The Moon & Back, Push It, Stay (Bernard Butler), Human beings (Seal), Uninvited, Carnaval De Paris, Last Stop: This Town (Eels), Alane, When You're Gone, Robyn's Show Me Love and many more

My mum sorted the whole smoking issue with me when I was 10 - she and dad both smoked, and gave me one to try. Totally hated it and never touched one again in my life, also got fed up breathing in second-hand smoke for the first 30 years of my life. I'm sure that's why I'm so short (compared to 21st Century generations that is, I was quite tall for the Middle Ages) laugh.gif

My mum also had me do the fag running from a young age, Liverpool 1966, 8 years old and earlier, she gave me a fiver to go and buy some from the local Newsagents (and that was like half the week's rent on the flat in those days, a huge amount of money) and I lost it (or was diddled by the shop-owner, hard to remember now, I was so upset and worried about it). Still, she gets her own back these days, refusing to do what I need her to do when she needs showering.

laugh.gif Mothers eh?

Only 2 chart toppers this year? ohmy.gif Of the ones you mentioned I also really like If You Tolerate This, Stay, Carnival De Paris, Stay (although my fave Bernard Butler track was A Change Of Heart which criminally missed the Top 40) and Alane.

Cheers John wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #182
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 7 2020, 06:39 PM) *
I like your no.1 by Karen Ramirez but it doesn't make my top 20. Your no.2 & no.3 are here. For 1998 by Binary Finary,the Matt Darey mix is the best one to listen to while for Cafe Del Mar,it's the Three 'N One mix.

1. Binary Finary -1998
2. Massive Attack - Teardrop
3. Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar
4. Radiohead - No Surprises
5. Faithless - God Is A DJ
6. Massive Attack - Angel
7. Madonna - Frozen
8. Faithless - Take The Long Way Home
9. Pulp - This Is Hardcore
10. Rest Assured - Treat Infamy
11. Eels - Last Stop This Town
12. Air - Sexy Boy
13. BT - Flaming June
14. Lucid - I Can't Help Myself
15. Air - All I Need
16. Depeche Mode - Only When I Lose Myself
17. Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
18. Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel
19. Air - Kelly Watch The Stars
20. Da Hool - Meet Her At The Love Parade

I like every single track here! Thrilled Lucid are here too. And agree with the Café Del Mar/1998 mixes. For Meet Her At The Love Parade, it's the Nalin & Kane mix for me.

Cheers Rollo wub.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #183
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(The Snake @ Jun 8 2020, 07:29 PM) *
The Karen Rameirez track is very nice and makes a good #1. Mysterious Times is so relevant lyrically at the moment and easily my favourite of Sash's songs. Ace of Base - Life Is A Flower I already mentioned but brings back good memories of hearing it on the radio when I was younger, likewise the Tin Tin Out and Shelley Nelson song I remember a lot from when I was younger, liked it back then and its still a good chilled dance track. Remember It's Like That too from the time, it still sounds like a fierce dancefloor track. I also really like Jason Nevins follow up featuring Holly James I'm In Heaven in 2003, which is a really nice chilled dance track. The Corrs and Nalin and Kale tracks are good, Green Day's brief experiment with folk music turned out to be one of their best songs in my opinion. Aqua's Turn Back Time is a really nice song, its like a completely different group to their other songs!

Would add Flaming June, Meet Her At The Love Parade (although I think I prefer the 2001 version), Frozen and God Is A DJ from King Rollo's list to my 1998 favourites and When You're Gone by Mel C and Bryan Adams and the excellent To The Moon And Back by Savage Garden (which is like their sort of version of Wet Wet Wet - Wishing I Was Lucky in being more interesting than most of their other hits imo - the production also reminds me of it a bit in style too come to think of it) to my favourites from popchartfreak's list.

Would also add Camisra - Let Me Show You (it reminds me of the Cha Cha Slide for some reason too laugh.gif ), Encore - Le Disc Jockey and also Touch and Go - Would You because I remember that great brass instrumental from when I was younger.

Also remember Horny by Mousse T at the time and hated it because I was only 6 at the time and embarrassed me as I knew it was a rude song. Same with Sex On the Beach by T-Spoon. laugh.gif

I've completely forgotten the 2001 mix of Meet Her At The Love Parade ohmy.gif I love the Nalin & Kane mix from '98. Will have to youtube the '01 version to rejog my memory.

I bought the Camisra and Encore singles at the time. Like Horny, not too fussed on Sex On The Beach. To The Moon And Back is the best Savage Garden track imo.

Cheers for the comments wub.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #184
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jun 8 2020, 06:31 PM) *
Some great tracks in both charts guys!

I always for some reason thought 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack was released in like 1992 or something!

Cheers Steve wub.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #185
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jun 9 2020, 07:21 AM) *
the Karen Ramirez hit was originally an EBTG b-side right?

It was the lead track of an EP which only got to No.72 in 1993. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 10th June 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #186
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Coincidentally, I'm posting the 1999 list on a special anniversary. 10/06/1999 was the day I met my first boyfriend, and was the first time I ventured out, alone, to a gay bar. Queer As Folk had just been shown on C4 and had a huge impact on me, which gave me the bottle to hop on the train to Charing Cross. It took over an hour of pacing up and down the road before I finally stepped in. My first thought when everyone inside turned around and stared at my visibly terrified and shaky self was "oh, how friendly they all seem." Of course, now I realise I was just "fresh meat", but I had a ball regardless. There is a funny story about how I got with my first boyfriend that night, but it's not exactly family friendly, so let's move on.
A couple of months prior to this I was on holiday in Cyprus with my best mate from primary school and our families. One night, we had a stupid row over something and I stormed off (or minced off, whichever way you look at it) to our apartment. Having finished chatting up every available female that night, he came back and caught me...erm...having fun....alone, if you know what I mean. And that's how he found out I was gay. I remember it well. I was crying "please don't hate me" whilst he kept going "f**king hell!" After 20 minutes of this, he said "right, dry your eyes. We're going Bubbles (a bar)". Britney Spears' Baby One More Time was playing when we got there. He took my hand and led me to the dancefloor and danced with me. "You're still my best mate and always will be." Bless him, he was right. And I've not been able to get shot of him ever since.
Many things happened to me this year. Some good, some bad. This thread would be much longer if I listed them all. I left school and somehow passed my A Levels (only just). I came out to my Dad, who took it very badly. I thought that was it for our relationship. Happily, he eventually accepted me and we have a close and fantastic relationship now. Otherwise in this year, I went from geeky shy simpleton to a total slag. Honestly, I was easier than the alphabet in those days. Oh youth, how I miss thee.

64 tracks to whittle down this time including Madonna, Melanie C, Geri Halliwell, Mariah Carey, S Club 7, New Radicals, Bran Van 3000, A1, Chemical Brothers and Britney (despite the sentiments attached to BOMT, I've heard it way too much).

My Favourite Top 40 Hits Of 1999

1. Chicane Feat. Maire Brennan Of Clannad - Saltwater
2. ATB - 9pm...Till I Come
3. Babybird - Back Together
4. Humate - Love Stimulation
5. DJ Jurgen Presents Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
6. Manic Street Preachers - Tsunami
7. B*Witched - Blame It On The Weatherman
8. Semisonic - Secret Smile
9. Three 'N' One Presents Johnny Shaker Feat. Serial Diva - Pearl River
10. Placebo - Every You Every Me
11. William Orbit – Barber’s Adagio For Strings
12. Mr Oizo – Flat Beat
13. Groove Armada – At The River
14. Alena – Turn It Around
15. Beth Orton – Central Reservation
16. Greece 2000 – Three Drives
17. Pet Shop Boys – I Don’t Know What You Want But I Can’t Give It Anymore
18. All Seeing I Feat. Phil Oakey – 1st Man In Space
19. Lucid – Stay With Me Till Dawn
20. Cuban Boys – Cognoscenti Vs Intelligentsia
21. Cher – All Or Nothing
22. Len – Steal My Sunshine
23. Phats & Small – Turn Around
24. Pete Heller – Big Love
25. Tin Tin Out Feat. Wendy Page – Eleven To Fly
26. Eminem – My Name Is
27. Doolally – Straight From The Heart
28. Yomanda – Synth & Strings
29. Supergrass – Moving
30. Tina Cousins – Killin’ Time
31. Cassius – Cassius 1999
32. Shanks & Bigfoot – Sweet Like Chocolate
33. Semisonic – Closing Time
34. Catatonia – Karaoke Queen
35. Lucid – Crazy
36. All Seeing I Feat. Tony Christie – Walk Like A Panther
37. Jennifer Lopez – Waiting For Tonight
38. Blondie – Maria
39. Blur – Tender
40. Catatonia – Dead From The Waist Down

This post has been edited by AH Gold: 10th June 2020, 08:50 PM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 11th June 2020, 07:32 AM
Post #187
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

from your list my fav is ATB-9pm, I loved that song and was totally obsessed with it. From your list I also loved the Chicane song,
Blur - Tender, the Manics - Tsunami and the Placebo song.

When I think 99, first thing that comes to mind is Britney - Baby one more time and Christina - Genie in a bottle, surprised they're not on your list. Pop perfection debut singles and both classic and iconic. Pop divas were doing very well cos 99 was also Shania Twain's year, That Don't Impress Me Much is still a crazy fantastic song... and we also had the return of Whitney, with My Love is your Love, possibly her best single ever.

Best Indie music in 99 for me was Travis, The Man Who is a classic album and my fav song of theirs is Why Does it Always Rain On Me. Best indie dance was The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl, also possibly their best single ever.

Other songs I really liked were Lauryn Hill - Ex-Factor, Drinkin in LA, Better off alone, Cranberries - Promises, Robbie - Strong
Skunk Ananasie - Secretly, anything by Beverly Knight, and EBTG - Temperamental (even if it flopped)

but 99 also had lots of acts I hated at the top of the charts, Westlife, Geri Haliwell, 5ive, Vengaboyz, Eiffel 69, Steps, B'witched, that kind of pop was not really my thing...

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 11th June 2020, 11:16 PM
Post #188
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Saltwater is a great song as your no.1 and it's in my top 20 as well. 1999 was a good year for The Chemical Brothers and they have three of my top 4.

1. Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
2. Chemical Brothers - Out Of Control
3. Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
4. Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
5. UNKLE featuring Ian Brown - Be There
6. William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings
7. System F - Out Of The Blue
8. Humate - Love Stimulation
9. Supergrass - Moving
10. Solar Stone - Seven Cities
11. Groove Armada - At The River
12. Underworld - Push Upstairs
13. Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
14. Travis - Writing To Reach You
15. Chicane featuring Maire Brennan - Saltwater
16. The Cardigans - Erase/Rewind
17. Pet Shop Boys - New York City Boy
18. Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
19. Mario Piu - Communication (Somebody Answer The Phone)
20. Bryan Adams - Cloud Number 9

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th June 2020, 07:57 AM
Post #189
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

1999, oops just one chart-topper for me on your list! (Pet Shop Boys natch).

My biggies, 4 Texas tracks, You Get What You Give, That Don't Impress Me Much, Larger Than Life, Unpretty, You Don't Know Me, Give It To You, Baby One More Time, Drinking In LA, She's In Fashion, Beautiful Stranger and many more smile.gif

I did see Semisonic in concert around that time, and Blondie.

Your journey was a bit similar to my 2001 journey, that was the start of my clubbing and bars days, only I was more matured (but just as shy) fresh meat laugh.gif Not nearly as in demand as fresh chicken teresa.gif The big shock to me was how not-in-demand being nice is, but how very-much-in-demand physical attributes are. Who knew men were so shallow!? Who knew gratuitous behaviour was so easy!? Who knew everyone on local gay scenes knew everyone else's business and slagged them off behind their backs!? Many illusions shattered.... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 12th June 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #190
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Saltwater is great, remember it from when I was younger. ATB's song is a great summery dance tune. Oh I do I wish trance would return as a chart trend soon....with other great trance tracks from Three Drives and William Orbit there in your top 40. For trance tracks I would also add DJ Sakin and Friends - Protect Your Mind and System F - Out Of The Blue.

I also like Flat Beat, the first ever electro house song making making the UK chart before the excellent Azzido da Bass - Dooms Night in 2001. At The River by Groove Armada is a great chillout track, likewise Moby - Why Does My Heart... from King Rollo's list. Doolally Straight From The Heart is a good funky garage tune and for garage I would also add Shanks and Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate which I remember from the time. Yomanda Synth and Strings is a very different sounding dance track, I also like his track Sunshine from 2000 and his cover of Ultra Nate's You're Free from 2003.

Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight I remember liking when I was younger, it, Vanessa Amorosi - Absolutely Everybody and Kylie's On A Night Like This from 2000 really is dance-pop at its best.

I notice Bryan Adams Cloud Number Nine from King Rollo's list too, nice song from him, Ultrabeat's song Feelin' Fine from 2004 really reminded me of that whenever it came out and still does, like a dance version of it almost. That will make my 2004 list as it is a nice track too.

I always used to think Blondie - Maria sounded like a Christmas song as it has bells in it! Was surprised to learn recently it wasn't released at Christmas after all. One of their best songs though, I think.

Would add The Offspring - Pretty Fly (I really liked that one when I was younger), New Radicals - Get What You Give which I also remember from the time, and the euphoric You Don't Know Me by Armand van Helden and Duane Harden. Would also add Two Times by Ann Lee and Bus Stop - Jump and from King Rollo's list - Chemical Brothers - hey Boy Hey Girl.

This post has been edited by The Snake: 12th June 2020, 12:28 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th June 2020, 12:50 AM
Post #191
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Some great dance songs in 1999 especially 'Out Of Control' by the Chemical Brothers!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 19th June 2020, 12:55 AM
Post #192
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Greece 2000. heart.gif
That song was part of my rave.dj mashup with Disclosure's Bang That back in 2017.

+Quote this post
mick745
post 21st June 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #193
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 17,441

QUOTE(AH Gold @ May 9 2020, 02:15 AM) *
1986 will always be a hugely special year for me. Firstly, I bought my very first single this year at Cruisin' Records in Welling. It was Farley Jackmaster Funk's Love Can't Turn Around, which I'm sure you'll agree is very credible for a 5 year old. The next single was Sinitta's So Macho. Make of that what you will. Both feature here, in Sinitta's case, mainly for Cruising, which is the superior track in my opinion.
Secondly, 1986 saw the arrival of my little sister. Mum suffered a miscarriage the previous year, so was obviously overjoyed I now had a sibling. She was born to the sounds of Europe's The Final Countdown blaring from the hospital radio. I always felt Ave Santini from The Omen would have been far more appropriate. As happy as Mum was, she had no inkling her daughter would go on to cause her just as much headaches and agony as me! And little did I know, that in our 30s we'd end up living together (No one else would tolerate living with her I'm afraid, so she was dumped on me....I'm only joking. Ish. I love her really. Ish.)
I also started primary school this year. All throughout my childhood, I had adults constantly tell me whenever I moaned (was, shockingly, was often) that "you'll look back on your school days as the best years of your life." Even then I knew they were lying. See, I was clever and observant, despite what all my school reports said.

As this was such a special year for me as a first time record buyer and as more memories begin to form, this was the hardest Top 40 to compile. My initial longlist was 67 tracks! I won't list all of them, but the ones I had to cut out include Communards, Steve Winwood, Falco, Jim Diamond, Bangles, Alexander O’Neal, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Grace Jones, Janet Jackson, Smiths, Simply Red, Billy Ocean, Kate Bush, Jaki Graham, Erasure & Madonna’s True Blue.

My Favourite Top 40 Hits Of 1986

1. Kim Wilde – You Keep Me Hangin’ On
2. Dead Or Alive – Brand New Lover
3. A-ha – The Sun Always Shines On TV
4. Nu Shooz – I Can’t Wait
5. Pet Shop Boys – Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money)
6. Farley ‘Jackmaster’ Funk – Love Can’t Turn Around
7. Mel & Kim – Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend)
8. Pete Wylie – Sinful
9. Pet Shop Boys – Love Comes Quickly
10. Gwen Guthrie – Ain’t Nothin’ Goin’ On But The Rent
11. Status Quo – In The Army Now
12. Nick Kamen – Each Time You Break My Heart
13. Bananarama – Venus
14. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
15. Human League – Human
16. Madonna – Borderline
17. Queen – Who Wants To Live Forever
18. Madonna – Live To Tell
19. Sinitta – So Macho/Cruising
20. Debbie Harry – French Kissin’ In The USA
21. Princess – I’ll Keep On Loving You
22. Wham! – The Edge Of Heaven
23. Madonna – Papa Don’t Preach
24. Madonna – Open Your Heart
25. Depeche Mode – A Question Of Time
26. Sly Fox – Let’s Go All The Way
27. Doctor & The Medics – Spirit In The Sky
28. Prince & The Revolution – Kiss
29. Pet Shop Boys – Suburbia
30. Madness – (Waiting For) The Ghost Train
31. Bucks Fizz – New Beginning (Mamba Seyra)
32. Cameo – Candy
33. Amazulu – Too Good To Be Forgotten
34. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – (Forever) Live And Die
35. Paul Hardcastle – The Wizard
36. Red Box – For America
37. Five Star – Rain Or Shine
38. Housemartins – Think For A Minute
39. Berlin – Take My Breath Away
40. Swing Out Sister – Breakout

1986 was the first year i was into the chart in a big way i taped the top 10 of the countdown on casette tape most weeks and wrote the top 10 down every week in a little book. As the weeks and months went on i got known at school as something of a chart expert.

That christmas naturally i asked for the guinness book of british hit singles. I only knew such a book existed after seeing it mentioned on the Little and Large show.

On christmas day one year i hid in my bedroom listening to the top selling album chart of the year on radio 2 rather than sitting with my family watching the OFAH christmas special (1987 or 1988?).

This carried on for about four or five years until the chart became dominated by acid house music.

+Quote this post
mick745
post 21st June 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #194
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 17,441

To add to my above post just think if this forum had been around in the late 1980s i dont think i would have got any school woek done at all!!!!

+Quote this post
jszmiles
post 5th July 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #195
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,161

oh Chicane <3 fantastic tune! Karen Ramirez did really god job with EBTG song (my ultimate best band of alltime).

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 18th August 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #196
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Before I eventually move on to the 21st century, let's go back to the years I didn't exist. The good news being there'll be no dreary mini autobiographies! Hoorah!

Starting with the first half of the 60s. Just my Top 5 for 1960 and Top 10 from 1961-1964.

1. Percy Faith – Theme From ‘A Summer Place’
2. Everly Brothers – Cathy’s Clown
3. Johnny Kidd & The Pirates – Shakin’ All Over
4. The Shadows – Apache
5. Drifters – Save The Last Dance For Me

1. John Leyton – Johnny Remember Me
2. Shirelles – Will You Love Me Tomorrow
3. Del Shannon – Runaway
4. Craig Douglas – A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
5. Johnny Tillotson – Poetry In Motion
6. Bobby Vee – Take Good Care Of My Baby
7. Dion – Runaround Sue
8. Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs – Stay
9. Rick Nelson – Hello Mary Lou
10. Roy Orbison – Cryin’

1. B. Bumble & The Stingers – Nut Rocker
2. Chris Montez – Let’s Dance
3. Billy Fury – Once Upon A Dream
4. Gene Pitney – Town Without Pity
5. Susan Maughan – Bobby’s Girl
6. Everly Brothers – Cryin’ In The Rain
7. Dion – The Wanderer
8. Sam Cooke – Twistin’ The Night Away
9. Chubby Checker – Let’s Twist Again
10. Brenda Lee – Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree

1. Ronettes – Be My Baby
2. Gerry & The Pacemakers – You’ll Never Walk Alone
3. Skeeter Davis – The End Of The World
4. Crystals – Da Doo Ron Ron
5. Billie Davis – Tell Him
6. Chiffons – He’s So Fine
7. Beatles – She Loves You
8. Crystals – Then He Kissed Me
9. Four Seasons – Walk Like A Man
10. Four Seasons – Big Girls Don’t Cry

1. Dusty Springfield – I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
2. Honeycombs – Have I The Right
3. Shangri-Las – Remember (Walkin’ In The Sand)
4. Dionne Warwick – Walk On By
5. Cilla Black – Anyone Who Had A Heart
6. Gene Pitney – Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa
7. Petula Clark - Downtown
8. Doris Day – Move Over Darling
9. Beach Boys – I Get Around
10. Dusty Springfield – I Only Want To Be With You

+Quote this post
Colm
post 18th August 2020, 03:39 PM
Post #197
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jun 1 2020, 09:52 AM) *
funnily, despite Tori Amos being my #1 singer, I do hate Professional Widow, in its original form the song is already bad, but that remix made it even worst, a 0/10 for me :/

I grew to like it. I hated the original. I was quite neutral when I heard the remix in mid-1996 but when it was re-released I started to enjoy that it was a proper hit and it brings me back to that time.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th August 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #198
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Runway by Del Shannon and Ronettes - Be My Baby are great. Probably my favourite songs you have posted of the 60s ones so far (of the ones I know that is).

Cryin by Roy Orbison is good (I knew the song but I didn't know it was by Roy Orbison) but my favourite from him is his cover of I Drove all Night, which I prefer to the Cyndi Lauper version that was recently in the TOTP catchups.

Two entries for the Everly Brothers. I am hoping a song by another set of brothers make your list for 1967.

Cilla Black Anyone Who Got A Heart I only discovered through Sheridan's Smiths version of it on the ITV Cilla drama that was on a few years ago. Its a very good song. Walk On By is a great jazz pop song, her voice in the song actually is quite similar in style I think to Sade's quite a bit later.

This post has been edited by Flopiday: 20th August 2020, 06:10 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 21st August 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #199
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Fab 60's choices, many of them huge when I was a kid, many of them huge faves still.

Records that have topped my personal charts since 1968 (as reissues or oldies):

Summer Place (lined up to be a BJSC entry at one time smile.gif )
Nut Rocker
Be My Baby
Apache
You'll Never walk Alone
I Just Dont Know What To Do
Walk On By
Anyone Who Had A Heart
Downtown
Move Over Darling

Your number one choices for 1960, 1963, 1964 are probably the same as mine - though I'd need to check on that biggrin.gif

Many of the rest have hit my number one spot in a "My Number Ones Of The 60's" feature I'll run shortly. These are the tracks I liked during the 60's when I was a kid, songs I remember being mad on - so it will have some really bizarre and unexpected and unknown tracks to anyone who wasn't around at the time - and also some classics.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 21st August 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #200
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

There's a few songs I like there and some big sellers that will feature on my own chart. Will say that these get better as the year progress for sure. My two favourite tracks here are in 1962 and 1964 respectively smile.gif

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:01 PM