BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> British Music Experience - Spice Girls Exhibition, The launch of an official massive exhibition
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 12th January 2024, 11:20 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

From the British Music Experience announcement

Zigazig ah!
We're so excited to announce that our next temporary exhibition will be celebrating 30 years of the most important girl band in British history - the Spice Girls.
In March 1994 an ad was placed in The Stage asking "Are you street smart, extrovert, ambitious, and able to sing and dance?". The rest is history. The Spice Girls debut single Wannabe topped the charts in 31 countries in 1996, they sold 80 million records and had nine UK Number One singles. The exhibition celebrates the story of how Sporty (Happy 50th birthday today Mel C!), Baby, Scary, Ginger and Posh became one of the most successful girl groups ever and enjoyed phenomenal global success.
Girl Power! Spice Girls at 30 will run from 7 February to 8 September and will tell the band’s story through outfits from the extraordinary collection of independent curator Liz West, who is the foremost collector of Spice Girls memorabilia and merchandise in the World. Liz’s Guinness World Record breaking collection boasts many iconic costumes all beautifully hand-made by international designers or specially commissioned by the Spice Girls themselves.

Stay tuned for more information on our launch event tomorrow ⭐️

Link: https://www.britishmusicexperience.com/spic...gjdse74Vg1JrPR8
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th January 2024, 02:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

I will defo go and make a weekend of it in Liverpool. Should be great for tourists over the summer.

Anything that shows off their legacy and impact is a good thing.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th January 2024, 03:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

My main question on this at the moment is if it is a Spice-backed project at all, done in partnership with the group's team?

At the moment it reads like it is just Liz' exhibition with some added sound-based features, which is somewhat underwhelming... Plus the girls' social media has yet to say anything. But yeah, I will be in the UK in Spring and will definitely go too. Plus, never been to Liverpool so it should be fun

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 12th January 2024, 03:42 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th January 2024, 06:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Looks to me like it is the Liz exhibition again, I saw it in Leeds so debating whether to go. Don’t get me wrong it was great but I’ve seen it not sure I need to again?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th January 2024, 06:23 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jan 12 2024, 07:10 PM) *
Looks to me like it is the Liz exhibition again, I saw it in Leeds so debating whether to go. Don’t get me wrong it was great but I’ve seen it not sure I need to again?

To be fair, the PR does state that there is more to it, including specific sections related to their music where you can have a more immersive experience. But yes, would be good to know more.

The PR does point towards more information in a proper announcement being shared soon, so hopefully more details will come through.

I would thkn that a prestigious place such as the BME would do a proper new exhibition though... Hopefully it is that and Liz's stuff is included s well, rather than it being the focus point. blink.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th January 2024, 07:16 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm sure it will be the best exhibition the Spice Girls have ever had that is for sure. It will be more than just Liz collection.

There was talk of a Spice Girl or two helping to launch it, not sure if that is tomorrow or an 'opening day/night'. See what tomorrow brings. Either way it is a big honour and the girls and their team should fully embrace it. Interesting to see it says there will be merch.

+Quote this post
colinn
post 12th January 2024, 07:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,033

I still say they need to bring an official exhibition to the St Pancras Hotel with a boozy brunch and Union Jack sightseeing bus. It would surely be a hit.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th January 2024, 07:30 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

This article says there will be a launch night on the 7th Feb, a Spice Girls tribute act will perform. I think that is when they will aim for a Spice Girl to officially open it.

https://pressat.co.uk/releases/girl-power-s...b720f66a29019f/

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 13th January 2024, 12:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It's sad that it is not an official exhibition in partnership with the girls, but hope it is successful

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th January 2024, 01:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The outfits on display will be complemented by audio visual elements, including a stage show montage of Spice Girls hits and listening stations. We have a season of activity planned to support the exhibition including film screenings, conversations, acoustic music and a special quiz night. Finally, the Museum’s merch store will be selling a range of Spice Girls apparel and giftware. LINK HERE

​Interesting. I guess they would have needed the girls' permissions for the merch at least, and to license their music for the activities planned since they are also selling tickets for attendance to the exhibition.

I would hope at least Mel C, since she is from Liverpool, would go to the opening next month. Maybe also Mel B since she is also 'up North'?

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 15th January 2024, 01:15 PM

+Quote this post
Rebel
post 15th January 2024, 02:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 140,886

Mel B will be too busy in LA I think

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 10th February 2024, 12:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Aparently this is quite terrible, from a few fan's posts on Spice Circle... I cant link the pictures here but it does look very low budget and 'this will do' type of thing...

Displays: there was basically 3 display cabinets with outfits in, 1 set of dolls and a jigsaw (no mention of the 'sound experiences')
Merch: black spice hoodie, 2 t shirts, wooden key ring, wooden coasters and a cartoon type print (all new apparently, but probably not 'Spice official' since they seemingly have had no input in the exhibition)

Shame. Could have been much better!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 10th February 2024, 01:04 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 10th February 2024, 04:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

From what I have seen of the pictures, one of the cabinets with a set of outfits, the dolls and the jig-saw were already there from it's original museum anyway (it was in the O2 for a few years before it moved to London) so actually the additions are basically a few more outfits. Don't get me wrong, it's worth it as there is tons more from other British acts, however it's certainly not worth the hype the BME were promoting.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 10th February 2024, 04:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

All those 30 years celebrations are falling to pieces from the looks of it lol, Typical Spice Girls.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 10th February 2024, 06:01 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 10 2024, 04:54 PM) *
All those 30 years celebrations are falling to pieces from the looks of it lol, Typical Spice Girls.

This exhibition hasn’t been endorsed by the group it doesn’t seem to be an ‘official’ part of any celebration if we get one.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th February 2024, 11:41 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Feb 10 2024, 06:01 PM) *
This exhibition hasn’t been endorsed by the group it doesn’t seem to be an ‘official’ part of any celebration if we get one.

yeah I agree. It doesnt seem like it is an official band-endorsed venture. It feels like BME jumped on the '30 years of Spice' bandwaggon. Wasn't it supposed to be last year too, but then got delayed because of Eurovision being done in Liverpool?

Anyway, it seems a bit meh so unless I definitely go to Liverpool, I probably wont make it along

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:43 PM