BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Prodigy “Charly”, MIEOW
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post Aug 13 2021, 08:44 AM
Post #1
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

So “Charly” was released as a single in the UK on 12 August 1991, 30 years ago - it made a huge impact by debuting straight inside the Top 10 at number 9.

Here's what I said a few years back in the 'Dance Chart Number Ones 1990 - 1999' thread:

”Charly” is one of, if not THE definitive rave anthems of early 1990s, becoming synonymous with the drug fueled British rave scene and firmly launched the Braintree lads into the mainstream when Mark Goodier announced it as a new entry straight in at #9 on 18th August 1991. “Charly” served as the introduction to a group that adapted with ease to the fast moving dance music landscape throughout the entire 1990s, always remaining both relevant and exciting - they managed to navigate the fine line between artistic merit and mainstream visibility, with more flair than most, if not all other dance groups.

The group, the brainchild of then 18 year-old Liam Howitt, was formed in 1990 when Liam met nominal frontman Keith Flint at a rave in the nearby club in Braintree called ‘The Barn’, and it was the rave scene from which the band, in its first forms, emerged into the UK singles chart later during the following year. The group were quickly snapped up by indie label XL at Christmas and although “Charly” was their first hit single, “What Evil Lurks” was the first actual release and went on to sell over 7,000 copies and made #31 on the UK dance chart - impressive for a virtually unknown band.

“Charly” was the first single from the band’s 1992 debut Experience, a unique blend of old-skool jungle, breakbeat and hardcore techno. The track famously built around the sample taken from the Charley Says - stranger danger public information films for children, broadcast in the 1970s and 1980s, however this merely detracts from the excellent production on the track - taking the bassline from Meat Beat Manifesto’s white label “Radio Babylon” (also later used by Future Sound of London on 1992’s “Papua New Guinea”) the breakbeat from Bobby Byrd’s “Hot Pants” and opening vocal from James Brown’s “Godfather Runnin' the Joint”. In August 1992, the group were essentially blamed for ‘killing rave’ by Mixmag, and in retaliation the band burned stacks of the magazine in the music video for “Fire”, Mixmag eventually apologised 10 years later…

You can hear the iconic moment that the group first made the Top 40 here on 18 August 1991: https://www.mixcloud.com/1869300/uk-top-40-...th-august-1991/

I was watching some old interviews from the early 90s and Keith Flint comes across as such a warm, kind soul. Truly a really sad loss. RIP Keith. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Aug 13 2021, 09:08 AM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I was exposed to 'Charly' a lot when growing up as it's one of my dad's favourite songs by them! Safe to say that this is the case for me too. The Prodigy have a very standout catalogue in general but this is one of the first songs that would come into my head if I had to name something of theirs. Love the relentless rave production and crazily catchy looping wub.gif

I'm happy that the U.K. had enough taste to send it straight into the top 10. Bring on the corresponding TOTP repeat *.*

+Quote Post
Colm
post Aug 13 2021, 09:27 AM
Post #3
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

I had quite a long conversation about The Prodigy last night with one of my mates. We found it hard to come up with another band that were as original and as relentless exciting as The Prodigy were in the 90s

Charlie is still phenomenal. 10/10.

I had it on 12" but somehow it went missing.

This post has been edited by Colm: Aug 13 2021, 09:28 AM

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Aug 13 2021, 09:22 PM
Post #4
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Love the Prodigy, interesting it debuted top 10 which must have been a rarity for a new band at the time.

The Prodigy really are the Rolling Stones of the rave scene!

+Quote Post
Smint
post Aug 14 2021, 02:09 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 124,514
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steve201 @ Aug 13 2021, 10:22 PM) *
Love the Prodigy, interesting it debuted top 10 which must have been a rarity for a new band at the time.

The Prodigy really are the Rolling Stones of the rave scene!

The chart it debuted on also had a new entry at 21 for Oceanic with the massive end of year top 10, albeit dated now rave anthem “Insanity” and the first hit from rave sample giants Utah Saints at 26. Very futuristic chart

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 14 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

What a banger. I wish there was an edit/single release of Charly on streaming though

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 30 2021, 07:44 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Aug 14 2021, 02:30 PM) *
What a banger. I wish there was an edit/single release of Charly on streaming though

I've got an HQ of the 7” edit of the Alley Cat Remix (3:39) if you'd like it?

I had to source it for a 1991 compilation that I'm putting together. : )

QUOTE(Smint @ Aug 14 2021, 03:09 AM) *
The chart it debuted on also had a new entry at 21 for Oceanic with the massive end of year top 10, albeit dated now rave anthem “Insanity” and the first hit from rave sample giants Utah Saints at 26. Very futuristic chart

“Insanity” was a joint new entry at number 21 with something else, but IIRC over 60% of its sales were from the Liverpool area. *.*

+Quote Post
Smint
post Aug 30 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 124,514
   No Gallery Pics

Sophie Lawrence’s ‘Loves Unkind’ (remember that lol) was the other 21. What was really shocking was that on the Network chart ‘Insanity’ entered in the 60s I think whilst Level 42’s ‘Guaranteed’ was at no.9 but in the official BBC chart ‘Insanity’ was just one place lower than ‘Guaranteed’ at 20. That was remarked on in Music Week at the time about the huge difference in chart positions between the two charts. Maybe Network charts didn’t sample Liverpudlian stores.

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Aug 31 2021, 09:20 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

^The network chart included airplay aswell, which may explain the disparity in positions as Insanity wouldn't have gained hardly any airplay.

This post has been edited by fiesta: Aug 31 2021, 09:21 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:50 AM