BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Misleading highest peaks?, highest peak that isn't their signature song
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
coi
post 14th April 2021, 10:12 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
Surprised Whoddy didn't mention that! laugh.gif Two Door Cinema Club would be another, their highest peak (and only top 40 hit!) is #33 with Changing of the Seasons but I'm pretty sure What You Know (which only got to #64) is their signature hit now, probably followed by Something Good Can Work (#56).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 14th April 2021, 10:15 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55
Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia reached #2, but songs such as Born In The USA and Hungry Heart are definitely better known.

Weezer reached #9 in 2005 with Beverly Hills, but the #12-peaking Buddy Holly is better remembered.

Embrace had 2 top 3 hits in 2006 (Nature's Law only narrowly missing out on #1), but I would certainly say Gravity (which peaked at #7) is better remembered.

Morrissey reached #3 in 2004 with Irish Blood English Heart and in 2006 with You Have Killed Me, but tracks such as Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday are more well known.

Primal Scream are best remembered for Loaded and Movin' On Up in the 1990s, but their only top 10 hit was 2006's Country Girl.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th April 2021, 10:15 PM
Post #43
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300
'Changing Of The Seasons' has always been one of my least favourite singles from TDCC, so many of their other songs deserve a top 40 peak over that. 'What You Know' seems to be the chosen song of Spotify playlists (with it going on to be one of the most consistently streamed songs of the entire year it came out let alone of their discog) but that's also honestly probably one of my less favourite singles from them as well, at least from their first couple of albums.

'Something Good Can Work' deserves

+Quote this post
Smint
post 14th April 2021, 10:20 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514
Couple more:

Erasure: highest peaking ‘Abbaesque’ (1) best known ‘A Little Respect’ (4)
Robbie Williams has 7 no.1s but best known for ‘Angels’ (4)

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th April 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #45
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
QUOTE(coi @ Apr 14 2021, 11:12 PM) *
Surprised Whoddy didn't mention that! laugh.gif Two Door Cinema Club would be another, their highest peak (and only top 40 hit!) is #33 with Changing of the Seasons but I'm pretty sure What You Know (which only got to #64) is their signature hit now, probably followed by Something Good Can Work (#56).

I did think about it haha. Somebody Else is probably the only single of theirs I'm not fussed about at all! Never got the love for it particularly.

I think Too Shy would have felt bigger if they didn't go on a break right after the album came out, it never had an actual performance! Which was a shame given how much hype their was for it on their tour and its release

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th April 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #46
Group icon
On the topic of indie bands I feel like Vampire Weekend might qualify for this as well - they had 2 top 40 hits with 'Oxford Comma' and 'Cousins' but I think the #55 peaking 'A-Punk' is probably more relevant now and arguably was even at the time it came out. Cba to check the Spotify numbers to confirm though xx

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th April 2021, 10:29 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Radiohead’s signature hit Creep (#7) is behind the likes of Paranoid Android, The Pyramid Song and There There which are all less remembered.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th April 2021, 10:32 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Cher, Chrissie Hynde And Neneh Cherry With Eric Clapton - Love Can Build A Bridge

^ this was Neneh and Eric's only UK #1! Rapidly fading from public consciousness with no streaming presence.

'Layla' seems to be Eric's most referenced song? that only reached #45 in live version ohmy.gif + probably 'Buffalo Stance' or '7 Seconds' for Neneh

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th April 2021, 10:39 PM
Post #49
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 14 2021, 11:29 PM) *
Radiohead’s signature hit Creep (#7) is behind the likes of Paranoid Android, The Pyramid Song and There There which are all less remembered.

I would say Paranoid Android is still pretty highly regarded amongst their singles, it's listed in many best songs of all time lists, granted Creep would definitely be the one most of the public would identify easier.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 14th April 2021, 10:46 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705
Looking back to the Ultimate Number 3s contest, as well as The Killers there’s the Chemical Brothers with Hey Boy Hey Girl and Galvanize vs their 2 #1s, and Outkast with Hey Ya vs their #2 Miss Jackson.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th April 2021, 10:47 PM
Post #51
Group icon
It always seems weird to see Don Broco with a #39 single in 2013, it feels largely forgotten about amongst the fans + their most popular songs on Spotify now are all from their 2018 album (with 'Technology' being the highest)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th April 2021, 10:50 PM
Post #52
Group icon
I'd be pretty confident in stating that the overwhelming response if you asked anyone to name a Don Broco song would be 'who?'

(I only vaguely know who they are because I remember the pre-order for the 'You Wanna Know' EP performing randomly really well on iTunes for weeks before it was released, the #39 position was actually somewhat underwhelming after that iirc)

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 14th April 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214
Sarah Mclachlan - Silence made the top 5 and Adia made the top 20 but Angel is her best known song

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th April 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 14 2021, 11:50 PM) *
I'd be pretty confident in stating that the overwhelming response if you asked anyone to name a Don Broco song would be 'who?'

Actually that was my silent reply when I read that post, although I’m less educated than WhoOdyssey when it comes to names.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th April 2021, 10:53 PM
Post #55
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
LeAnn Rimes always pops into my head for some reason. 'How Do I Live' was her biggest hit at the time (I assume 'Can't Fight the Moonlight' has overtaken in the digital/streaming era?) it was her biggest seller despite "only" peaking at #7 and 'Can't Fight the Moonlight' being a big #1. But as I stated earlier, I'm not sure whether CFTM has overtaken or not, but I assume it'll be close.

Busted can also make a claim for this as both 'What I Go to School For' and 'Year 3000' peaked at #3 & #2 respectively whilst they had 4 #1's after!

'Anywhere' by Rita is another one. Although I imagine 'I Will Never Let You Down' is right behind it, but I think 'Anywhere' has largely become Rita's signature hit.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th April 2021, 10:53 PM
Post #56
Group icon
QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 14 2021, 11:50 PM) *

Of course haha, making the top 40 all the more random tbh for 2013. They did play arenas on their last tour though!

+Quote this post
Rush
post 14th April 2021, 11:10 PM
Post #57
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 15 2021, 07:36 AM) *
La Roux - Bulletproof (a big No.1 but In For The Kill is her signature song)

Nero - Promises (this really doesn’t feel like a No.1 or their biggest hit - Guilt and Me & You feel more memorable)
For what it's worth these are both easily their most played songs on Spotify - in Nero's case even their 2nd most played song is 'Promises' too (the Skrillex remix). La Roux could be different in the UK alone though as 'Bulletproof' was a far bigger international hit.

A few more:
- Eurythmics' #1 hit is not 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)', which has 11 times as many Spotify plays as any other songs of theirs
- Bryan Adams' biggest song nowadays is 'Summer Of '69' which peaked at #42
- The Cranberries had 2 #13 hits and 2 #14 hits; the #14s are their 2 most popular songs ('Zombie' and 'Linger') and the #13s are nowhere near ('Salvation' and 'Promises')
- Pearl Jam's only top 10 hit is 'Spin The Black Circle' (the lead single from their 3rd album), which isn't even in their top 20 biggest songs on Spotify
- I don't know if it would be different with just the UK, but Steps' biggest song on Spotify is '5, 6, 7, 8', their lowest peaking single from their original run (but ironically the opposite in Australia, where it was a #1 hit - I presume the difference is in part because the Australian charts weren't focused on first-week peaks so it was able to grow)
- 'Stay The Night' is Zedd's highest charter mostly just because it got a held-back release whereas 'Clarity', 'Break Free' and of course his 2016-onwards hits did not
- 'Sign Of The Times' is clearly not Harry Styles' biggest hit at this point
- Kodaline's biggest song on Spotify by far is 'All I Want', which peaked at #67 (later followed by 4 top 40 hits)
- The Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac's posthumous #1s
- J Hus' highest charter is the #5 hit 'Must Be', which spent far less time in the chart than the #9-peaking 'Did You See'
- Kelly Clarkson's #1 hit 'My Life Would Suck Without You' is definitely not as big as several other songs of hers, particularly 'Since U Been Gone' and 'Because Of You'
- Chris Rea has a #10 hit called 'The Road To Hell (Part 2)' which I have never heard of, while the best 'Driving Home For Christmas' has managed so far is #11

Fleetwood Mac take the cake for the best answer to this thread imo!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th April 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Interesting r.e. Nero! I may be wrong on that then.

But I’d stick by the La Roux one for the U.K., interesting Bulletproof was the bigger hit worldwide though.

Some great examples there. The Road To Hell is quite well known but nowhere near as much as Driving Home For Christmas at this point. I guess some other Xmas songs are good examples of this too, like Wizzard’s No.4 I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day, even though they also had two No.1s which are barely played now.

For Steps, I’ve always thought their U.K. signature hit is Tragedy, their only million seller and a sort of school disco classic. But I’d agree that 5,6,7,8 is up there too as maybe a joint signature hit, especially as it has more streams now.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 14th April 2021, 11:22 PM

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 14th April 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383
QUOTE(Jamie Barkley @ Apr 14 2021, 09:59 PM) *
A-ha's #1 single being the (still brilliant) The Sun Always Shines on TV and not Take On Me is my big one for this.

“Which band had a UK #1 with Take On Me?” is a great pub quiz question

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 14th April 2021, 11:25 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665
I saw Nero being discussed in the "favourite single of the 2010's" thread, but I think they're a funny case because 4 of their singles all sold a relatively similar amount (about 150,000) at least in the recent aftermath of their release, (I don't know what their sales are now). And their peaks were something like 15, 8, 1, 32 iirc.

That said, I think Promises probably is their most famous song now. It's the one that they decided to release in the US (which had a knock-on effect to the UK public, especially on the Internet), it has Calvin Harris and Skrillex remixes, and it has the #1 status.

This post has been edited by Eric_Blob: 14th April 2021, 11:27 PM

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 02:56 PM