BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ** Hitstastic Top 40 Singles **, Chart of 2010
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

dance.gif ** Hitstastic Top 40 Singles - Chart of 2010 ** dance.gif

It's that time of the year where everybody is busy posting their End of Year charts and I'm no exception. Coming up over the next couple of hours, I shall be counting down my top 40 tracks of 2010. biggrin.gif

Before I start my countdown, here's a look back at my #1 hits of 2010:

Owl City - Fireflies (3 weeks) (02/01/10 = 16/01/10)
Hurts - Wonderful Life (1 week) (23/01/10)
Keri Hilson - I Like (2 weeks) (30/01/10 = 06/02/10)
Timbaland featuring Katy Perry - If We Ever Meet Again (2 weeks) (13/02/10 = 20/02/10)
Alicia Keys - Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart (2 weeks) (27/02/10 = 06/03/10)
Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission (1 week) (13/03/10)
Rihanna - Rude Boy (2 weeks) (20/03/10 = 27/03/10)
Plan B - She Said (2 weeks) (03/04/10 = 10/04/10)
Paul Weller - No Tears To Cry (1 week) (17/04/10)
Stromae - Alors On Danse (4 weeks) (24/04/10 = 15/05/10)
B.o.B. featuring Bruno Mars - Nothin’ On You (3 weeks) (22/05/10 = 05/06/10)
K’naan - Wavin’ Flag (4 weeks) (12/06/10 = 03/07/10)
Yolanda Be Cool & DCup - We No Speak Americano (3 weeks) (10/07/10 = 24/07/10)
Travie McCoy featuring Bruno Mars - Billionaire (2 weeks) (31/07/10 = 07/08/10)
Eminem featuring Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie (1 week) (14/08/10)
Sia - Clap Your Hands (2 weeks) (21/08/10 = 28/08/10)
Taio Cruz - Dynamite (2 weeks) (04/09/10 = 11/09/10)
Robbie Williams & Gary Barlow - Shame (1 week) (18/09/10)
Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are (2 weeks) (25/09/10 = 02/10/10)
Cee Lo Green - Forget You! (3 weeks) (09/10/10 = 23/10/10)
Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World) (5 weeks) (30/10/10 = 27/11/10)
Nicole Scherzinger - Poison (2 weeks) (04/12/10 = 11/12/10)
Crystal Castles featuring Robert Smith - Not In Love (2 weeks) (18/12/10 = 25/12/10)

Any predictions for #1 of 2010? biggrin.gif The chart will be starting around 14:00pm tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Seeing as (I assume) this is based on points, I'm guessing it will be weighted more heavily to the songs from the first half of the year. Stromae for #1 please cheer.gif That is a largely amazing list of #1's though so your top 10 could be very special indeed wub.gif

If it had been based on opinion rather than points I'd predict a Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World) #1 but I guess it hasn't been around long enough to capitalise unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 29th December 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I'm going to predict Rihanna Only Girl (In The World) as your official #1 of 2010 magic.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Sundream

Cheers GD/Mikey,

I also encourage running commentary from anybody who can be bothered. Will be interesting to read your thoughts as we progress. Share your delight or disgust as we proceed. tongue.gif

As always before counting down the top 40 singles of 2010, here's a look at the ten tracks that narrowly missed out:

41-50

41. Scissor Sisters - Fire With Fire [#4]
42. Alex Gaudino - I'm In Love (I Wanna Do It) [#2]
43. Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite [#2]
44. Kelis - Acapella [#3]
45. Yeasayer - O.N.E. [#2]
46. Alexis Jordan - Happiness [#3]
47. B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes [#4]
48. Erik Hassle - Hurtful [#4]
49. ATB - Could You Believe [#4]
50. Frida Sundemo - Towers [#3]

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Sundream

40. Train - Hey, Soul Sister [#2]

Whilst the track floated around the UK top 40 for ages settling at #18 and never peaking higher, the track fared a lot better in other countries including Ireland where 'Hey, Soul Sister' hit the #1 spot. The track peaked at #2 in my chart back in May.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Sundream

39. Shakira feat. Freshlyground - Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) [#5]

Since 2004, Shakira has scored a number of hits in my personal but has only ever topped my chart once ('Beautiful Liar' with Beyonce in 2007). 2010 saw Shakira record the official World Cup song 'Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)' went has become one of Europe's biggest selling singles of the year.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Sundream

38. Florence & The Machine feat. Dizzee Rascal - You Got The Dirtee Love [#3]

Every year The Brit Awards includes a one off performance where two artists come together and perform a chosen track. This year saw Florence Welch team up with Dizzee Rascal as they combined their two most recent hits 'You Got The Love' and 'Dirtee Cash' and alas 'You Got The Dirtee Love' was born. The track was then released to iTunes mid week and charted at #2 for a fortnight.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Sundream

37. Fyfe Dangerfield - She's Always A Woman [#2]

Back in the summer, John Lewis introduced their latest advertising campaign showing a baby girl growing up and experiencing life through to retirement in the space of 90 seconds. The advert was accompanied by 'She's Always A Woman', originally by Billy Joel. Fyfe Dangerfield scored his most successful chart hit with his cover of the track after its use in the John Lewis advert. Prior to 2010, Dangerfield's most successful hit in my chart had been with his group Guillemots when 'Get Over It' peaked at #14 in March 2008.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Sundream

36. Robbie Williams & Gary Barlow - Shame [#1]

Oh, how a title of a song can be so apt!!! This track had everything going for it; the mass media attention, the exclusive first play on all UK radio stations on the same morning, the Broadback Mountain style video. Sadly, the only thing 'Shame' didn't have was a record company willing to release this early whilst there was still enough buzz to send the track to #1 even if it would've only been for a week (ie; when 'Start Without You' by Alexandra Burke was no. 1 for her second week). Alas, the track did go to no. 1 in my chart as I honestly thought it was a great track - it just got boring fairly quickly. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Sundream

35. Paul Weller - No Tears To Cry [#1]

Probably the most un-Buzzjack type track to appear in my Chart of 2010. I don't think many other Buzzjackers would approve of an aging mod rocker appearing in their own chart but for me 'No Tears To Cry' is a great track. The former Jam/Style Council singer has had a successful solo career since the mid 90s. Paul Weller did also hit #1 in my chart back in 2005 with 'From The Floorboards Up' but this is a far better crafted slice of rock. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Sundream

34. Iyaz - Replay [#3]

I remember it well, checking the iTunes thread and seeing the massive popularity bars for 'Replay' and 'Riverside' and people debating which track deserved to be #1. All along I prefered 'Replay' and still do. I even posted that the track could potentially sell over 100k which seemed a bit of a long shot but it managed it. ohmy.gif Unlike in the UK, Iyaz struggled to have any successful follow up singles. 'Solo' scraped into my chart at #40 whilst 'So Big' fared slightly better peaking at #37.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Sundream

33. Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner - Written In The Stars [#4]

The track that won me over. Have to admit, when people were predicting 'Pass Out' to be a UK #1, I honestly thought people were having a laugh. I'd seen the video on The Box and it just failed to make any impression on me whatsoever - it seemed like a SMASH #18 before its inevitable plummet. Alas, it did make #1 and I was AGOG at this. It's grown on me since but I still wouldn't consider it as a "classic" at all. As for 'Frisky', let's not go there... smile.gif So when 'Written In The Stars' was released, I finally heard a song that sounded decent. I later found out that this was produced by someone else (Labrinth produced 'Pass Out' and 'Frisky'). The subtle synths, the piano melody, the electric guitars - all adds to this track really effectively and derserved to be #1 in the UK. It's also become Tinie's breakthrough hit across Europe.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Sundream

32. The Rasmus feat. Anette Oleon - October And April [#2]

In 2004, The Rasmus scored a massive hit in my chart with 'In The Shadows' although I'd known that tracks for months by that point. I just didn't compile a personal chart in 2003. Fast forward six years and The Rasmus scored a surprise hit for me in January with 'October And April'. The track had been relatively big in their native Finland amongst other countries in late 2009 entering the HET30. Having listened to the track and liking it, I decided to chart it too.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Sundream

31. Leona Lewis - I See You [#4]

Back in February Leona Lewis released 'I Got You', the follow up to 'Happy' which had made #1 in my chart in 2009. As I thought 'I Got You' was a terrible choice of single, I decided to chart 'I See You' from the Avatar OST. It seemed like a hit in the making. This track had been getting a fair amount of video airplay and I thought 'I See You' was a brilliantly well written track. It was just made "Album Only" when the track was available to buy on iTunes. drama.gif

Stick around (if anybody is actually reading this tongue.gif ). Top 30 coming up shortly.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Hello?

Nice to see Shakira and Robbie/Gary in the top 40 - I still love both songs biggrin.gif Shame has regrown on me a lot now, got a lot more hate than it deserved, although I guess ours were the only two personal charts it topped laugh.gif The real 'Shame' I suppose is that The Flood never managed to get to #1 in your chart, where Shame did...as for the ones that missed out;

43. Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite [#2] Great to see it top 50, such an infectious pop song and great ESC winner!
48. Erik Hassle - Hurtful [#4] Ridiculous that this missed the UK top 40, what is up with this country sometimes?
49. ATB - Could You Believe [#4] Still never really got into this at all sad.gif The last thing I loved by him was I Don't Wanna Stop way back in 2003!

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Nice to see Shakira and Robbie/Gary in the top 40 - I still love both songs biggrin.gif Shame has regrown on me a lot now, got a lot more hate than it deserved, although I guess ours were the only two personal charts it topped laugh.gif The real 'Shame' I suppose is that The Flood never managed to get to #1 in your chart, where Shame did...as for the ones that missed out;

43. Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite [#2] Great to see it top 50, such an infectious pop song and great ESC winner!
48. Erik Hassle - Hurtful [#4] Ridiculous that this missed the UK top 40, what is up with this country sometimes?
49. ATB - Could You Believe [#4] Still never really got into this at all sad.gif The last thing I loved by him was I Don't Wanna Stop way back in 2003!

Cheers Richard.

I will post a full recap of the top 40 at the end. One thing I need to add is that I don't even know the order of my own Chart of 2010 (and yes, I still use a points system). I avoid checking the YTD spreadsheet as it can spring many surprises that I don't expect. biggrin.gif

'Satellite' did well to make my top 50 of 2010 - despite peaking at #2, it did tail off fairly quick after this.

I wasn't sure if this was going to feature. I saw it on your chart and it brought back memories of January. Iirc, I predicted it would peak at #2 in the UK. drama.gif Got that wrong didn't I? heehee.gif

I'm just a big fan of Europop!!! laugh.gif It always reminds me of being a teenager when Europop and Eurodance dominated the charts during the 90s. The thing I liked about this track was the way it built up right up to the final chorus which was full of Euphoric gloriousness. biggrin.gif Yes, the vocals were slightly ho-hum but I still liked it.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Cheers Richard.

I will post a full recap of the top 40 at the end. One thing I need to add is that I don't even know the order of my own Chart of 2010 (and yes, I still use a points system). I avoid checking the YTD spreadsheet as it can spring many surprises that I don't expect. biggrin.gif

Nasty surprises I expect as you find your favourite song of the year at #12 and something you overrated in a dead period for music at #1 heehee.gif I compiled an alternative version of my EOY chart using a points system out of curiosity and The Flood would have been #10 rather than #3, purely because it wouldn't have had enough time to rack up points to get it higher, whilst further down, Niamh Kavanagh would have been #12 with It's For You, whereas realistically it ended up at #28, I just tend to overrate some of the Eurovision entries in the months prior to the contest, just because I listen to them so much in March-June drama.gif Even so, these changes aren't as drastic as those in the likes of Theo and Jonjo's charts, where you see songs that they peaked at #22 in their weekly chart getting to #15 in their EOY chart or something ohmy.gif My opinion never changes *that* drastically but even so, I think a points system just wouldn't work for my EOY - I'm too fickle or easily pleased at the time with some songs, before looking back and thinking 'they weren't all that' laugh.gif

Poor Erik, I recall your #2 prediction for it and thought it was a bit optimistic but even I hadn't expected it to miss the top 40! My favourite way off prediction of this year was almost everyone expecting Echo by Girls Can't Catch to go to #3/#4. I thought it did well to get top 20 to be honest! They're not exactly a big name, and the song was too generic to stand out.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 03:13 PM) *
Nasty surprises I expect as you find your favourite song of the year at #12 and something you overrated in a dead period for music at #1 heehee.gif I compiled an alternative version of my EOY chart using a points system out of curiosity and The Flood would have been #10 rather than #3, purely because it wouldn't have had enough time to rack up points to get it higher, whilst further down, Niamh Kavanagh would have been #12 with It's For You, whereas realistically it ended up at #28, I just tend to overrate some of the Eurovision entries in the months prior to the contest, just because I listen to them so much in March-June drama.gif Even so, these changes aren't as drastic as those in the likes of Theo and Jonjo's charts, where you see songs that they peaked at #22 in their weekly chart getting to #15 in their EOY chart or something ohmy.gif My opinion never changes *that* drastically but even so, I think a points system just wouldn't work for my EOY - I'm too fickle or easily pleased at the time with some songs, before looking back and thinking 'they weren't all that' laugh.gif

Poor Erik, I recall your #2 prediction for it and thought it was a bit optimistic but even I hadn't expected it to miss the top 40! My favourite way off prediction of this year was almost everyone expecting Echo by Girls Can't Catch to go to #3/#4. I thought it did well to get top 20 to be honest! They're not exactly a big name, and the song was too generic to stand out.

I think I've mentioned this in the past but when I add the weekly points onto the spreadsheet, whenever a track enters my top 20 it gets bonus "position" points. So for eg; if a track goes straight into my chart at #1 it gets 20 points for the week plus an additional 20 bonus points. That applies to all chart positions between 1-20. So a new entry at #2 collects 38 points, #3 gets 36 points etc... So those tracks that enter high up will always benefit.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 03:20 PM) *
I think I've mentioned this in the past but when I add the weekly points onto the spreadsheet, whenever a track enters my top 20 it gets bonus "position" points. So for eg; if a track goes straight into my chart at #1 it gets 20 points for the week plus an additional 20 bonus points. That applies to all chart positions between 1-20. So a new entry at #2 collects 38 points, #3 gets 36 points etc... So those tracks that enter high up will always benefit.

Ah yes, I do recall you saying that now. I guess that makes sense. Out of interest though, have you ever had a song top your EOY chart which wasn't your favourite song of the year opinion wise? I guess it could be entirely possible if your favourite song of that year didn't surface until November ohmy.gif

The problem with EOY charts is that they obviously only track a specific 12 month period, I look back at my 2007 EOY chart and Take That's Shine was #1. But now I'd rank all three of Love Song, Believe Again and Rule The World above it ohmy.gif All four though would feature in my top 15 of all time, late 2007 was an extraordinarily strong period for music imo. Bleeding Love and About You Now both stalled at #2 in my chart because of these other songs that I loved all floating about and would have been EASY #1's at almost any other point! drama.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Sundream

Time to crack on with this...

30. Katie Melua - The Flood [#2]

That's right, Katie Melua returned in 2010 with a track that is considered "credible"!!! drama.gif I've always regarded Katie Melua as a guilty plesaures although some of her tracks over the years have been so MOR they slipped across to the other side. sad.gif The track, produced by William Orbit, was originally going to be considered as one of the UK's entries in this years Eurovision Song Contest alongside other acts including Hurts. In the end, the BBC showed their true colours (ie; HA!!! We don't want to waste money on a turgid music show that has no relevance on UK music). So they got Pete Waterman to dust down an old Big Fun album track reject from 1990 as the UK's Eurovision entry. No wonder the UK do so badly at Eurovision!!! drama.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:59 PM