BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ** Hitstastic Top 40 Singles **, Chart of 2010
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Ah yes, I do recall you saying that now. I guess that makes sense. Out of interest though, have you ever had a song top your EOY chart which wasn't your favourite song of the year opinion wise? I guess it could be entirely possible if your favourite song of that year didn't surface until November ohmy.gif

The problem with EOY charts is that they obviously only track a specific 12 month period, I look back at my 2007 EOY chart and Take That's Shine was #1. But now I'd rank all three of Love Song, Believe Again and Rule The World above it ohmy.gif All four though would feature in my top 15 of all time, late 2007 was an extraordinarily strong period for music imo. Bleeding Love and About You Now both stalled at #2 in my chart because of these other songs that I loved all floating about and would have been EASY #1's at almost any other point! drama.gif

No, the songs I like the most always stick around the top 20 for ages whilst other tracks come and go. If anything, I have a situation where my fave song of the year has been released too late in the year to build up enough points to be my YTD #1. Best example was last year where 'Bad Romance' had 9 weeks to build up its points in my Chart of 2009. It ended up 5th and only needed two more weeks and it would've overtaken 'Poker Face' which was my #1 of 2009 (not that I think 'Poker Face' didn't deserve to be no. 1, but I regard 'Bad Romance' as the better song). As it is, 'Bad Romance' collected enough points in early 2010 to overtake 'Poker Face' in my All Time chart. Yes, I have another database that combines all the chart data from 2004-2010. drama.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 03:32 PM) *
No, the songs I like the most always stick around the top 20 for ages whilst other tracks come and go. If anything, I have a situation where my fave song of the year has been released too late in the year to build up enough points to be my YTD #1. Best example was last year where 'Bad Romance' had 9 weeks to build up its points in my Chart of 2009. It ended up 5th and only needed two more weeks and it would've overtaken 'Poker Face' which was my #1 of 2009 (not that I think 'Poker Face' didn't deserve to be no. 1, but I regard 'Bad Romance' as the better song). As it is, 'Bad Romance' collected enough points in early 2010 to overtake 'Poker Face' in my All Time chart. Yes, I have another database that combines all the chart data from 2004-2010. drama.gif

At least we have best of all time charts to rectify these things biggrin.gif If I did that based on points, Set You Free would be so far ahead of the pack it would be untrue, it spent 26 weeks in my top three alone laugh.gif Although Hips Don't Lie got ten weeks at #1 and five weeks at #2 so maybe it would be closer than I expect.

Bad Romance ended up 4th in my EOY 2009 chart with Poker Face 10th. I'd probably have Bad Romance 3rd now, but I still prefer the Agnes and Alcazar songs that were #1 and #2 in my EOY chart last year (yes really! heehee.gif)

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Sundream

29. Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang [#4]

Mark Ronson took my chart by storm in 2008 when he scored two #1 hits ('Stop Me' and 'Valerie'). His 2010 comeback 'Record Collection' isn't a patch on 'Version' imo. I bought 'Version' as I was impressed with most of the tracks on the album. A mate at work lent me 'Record Collection' one weekend a couple of months back and I didn't think it was much cop. The curse of the dreaded second album syndrome continues... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 29th December 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

41. Scissor Sisters - Fire With Fire [#4] Got bored with this
47. B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes [#4]
50. Frida Sundemo - Towers [#3]

Not a lot yet, I'm sure it gets better at the top just like British Rail on a typical Snowy day.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(M!key @ Dec 29 2010, 03:38 PM) *
41. Scissor Sisters - Fire With Fire [#4] Got bored with this
47. B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes [#4]
50. Frida Sundemo - Towers [#3]

Not a lot yet, I'm sure it gets better at the top just like British Rail on a typical Snowy day.

Oh Mikey what happened? sad.gif You used to be so radio friendly on Cool Clarity. tongue.gif laugh.gif

Let's see if you approve of my #28...

28. Lemar - The Way Love Goes [#2]

I guess not then!!! biggrin.gif

I'm probably going to be in the minority of people where 'The Way Love Goes' has ended up in their top 40 of 2010. To be fair though, I think Lemar released a decent track in 'The Way Love Goes' and was pleasantly surprised that Lemar had been able to make the UK top 10.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Sundream

27. Caro Emerald - A Night Like This [#4]

The track that took Holland by storm. Caro Emerald has been dominating the charts in her native Netherlands throughout 2010. I read an article on the BBC News website about how Caro was apparantly "bigger than Michael Jackson". Upon reading the article it became clear very quickly this wasn't really the case. Basically, Caro's debut album 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor' spent more weeks at #1 in Holland's album chart than 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson managed in the early 80s. I bet 'Thriller' has sold a lot more copies though!!! kink.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Hello?

Great to see Caro here, it's getting a UK release in two months and is sure to get on the Radio 2 A-list. I'm sure that will translate into a SMASH #258 peak for the song :/

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Sundream

26. Marina & The Diamonds - Hollywood [#2]

Twelve months ago, most people would've been predicting massive success for Marina Lambrini Diamandis but it ended up falling short. In fact, Marina had already had three top 20 hits in my chart in 2009 ('I Am Not A Robot' #13, 'Mowgli's Road' #18 and 'Obsessions' #18). You could say Marina was a semi-established chart act for me by January 2010. happy.gif However, Marina & The Diamonds did manage to take advantage of a disappointing start to 2010 in the UK charts and 'Hollywood' peaked at #2 in my personal chart.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Great to see Caro here, it's getting a UK release in two months and is sure to get on the Radio 2 A-list. I'm sure that will translate into a SMASH #258 peak for the song :/

Knowing the UK, 2011 will most likely continue the trend set in 2010. All big European hits will peak between 21-30 and we'll look back at the UK #1s of 2011 in 12 months time and think "i can't believe this got to no. 1 over **song** which peaked at #2 and sold 5 times as many copies". kink.gif

Ie; 2011; another year for non #1s!!! drama.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Knowing the UK, 2011 will most likely continue the trend set in 2010. All big European hits will peak between 21-30 and we'll look back at the UK #1s of 2011 in 12 months time and think "i can't believe this got to no. 1 over **song** which peaked at #2 and sold 5 times as many copies". kink.gif

Ie; 2011; another year for non #1s!!! drama.gif

Hopefully not! Although 16 of the 20 biggest sellers of the year did actually get to #1, so it hasn't been as bad as everyone makes out. I guess a lot of them should have spent longer than a week at the top though heehee.gif The likes of Dirtee Disco, The Club Is Alive and Beautiful Monster should never have gone anywhere near #1...

I can only envisage it getting worse though, I think we're lucky that the likes of Satellite, Waka Waka, Wonderful Life, I Like and Alors On Danse even made the top 40 here considering they had next to no support from radio or music channels drama.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Sundream

25. Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission [#1]

In the words of Aled, poor BRAVE Gabriella!!! sad.gif Forever will always be remembered for her 2008 gem 'Sweet About Me' but you never see 'Warm This Winter' selling well on iTunes every December do you?!!! mad.gif Anyways, 'On A Mission' was the introduction to Gabriella Cilmi's second album and on first listen, I thought this was a brilliant track. Nothing groundbreaking but I don't think that was ever going to be the case. It just went rapidly downhill when the record company decided to release 'Hearts Don't Lie' as the follow up single. That has to be one of the worst tracks I've heard in all my entire life. The definition of "great to grate" lies here. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 04:08 PM) *
Hopefully not! Although 16 of the 20 biggest sellers of the year did actually get to #1, so it hasn't been as bad as everyone makes out. I guess a lot of them should have spent longer than a week at the top though heehee.gif The likes of Dirtee Disco, The Club Is Alive and Beautiful Monster should never have gone anywhere near #1...

I can only envisage it getting worse though, I think we're lucky that the likes of Satellite, Waka Waka, Wonderful Life, I Like and Alors On Danse even made the top 40 here considering they had next to no support from radio or music channels drama.gif

...but there's been 34 UK #1s in 2010. drama.gif In 2008 there were 20 - and the vast majority of those songs were brilliant tracks that people will most likely remember for years to come. If we've had 34 no. 1 hits in the UK, I'd expect the top 20 biggest selling singles to come from these 34 tracks. It's just sad that tracks like 'The Club Is Alive' by JLS sold less than 'Dog Days Are Over' by Florence & The Machine which peaked at #23. ohmy.gif

As for 'Alors On Danse' and 'Wonderful Life', I did see the video for these two tracks quite a lot on the music channels so I know these two at least got a fair amount of video airplay.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 04:11 PM) *
25. Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission [#1]

In the words of Aled, poor BRAVE Gabriella!!! sad.gif Forever will always be remembered for her 2008 gem 'Sweet About Me' but you never see 'Warm This Winter' selling well on iTunes every December do you?!!! mad.gif Anyways, 'On A Mission' was the introduction to Gabriella Cilmi's second album and on first listen, I thought this was a brilliant track. Nothing groundbreaking but I don't think that was ever going to be the case. It just went rapidly downhill when the record company decided to release 'Hearts Don't Lie' as the follow up single. That has to be one of the worst tracks I've heard in all my entire life. The definition of "great to grate" lies here. sad.gif

I agree with you completely there. The only more fitting 'great to grate' example I can think of is Spiller's transition from Groovejet to Cry Baby drama.gif I was flabbergasted to see it in the top ten of the year on this forum;

http://auspop.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-pop-2010-no08.html

They must be listening to a different song to you and I laugh.gif 'One of the best choruses you heard all year' wacko.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 04:16 PM) *
...but there's been 34 UK #1s in 2010. drama.gif In 2008 there were 20 - and the vast majority of those songs were brilliant tracks that people will most likely remember for years to come. If we've had 34 no. 1 hits in the UK, I'd expect the top 20 biggest selling singles to come from these 34 tracks. It's just sad that tracks like 'The Club Is Alive' by JLS sold less than 'Dog Days Are Over' by Florence & The Machine which peaked at #23. ohmy.gif

As for 'Alors On Danse' and 'Wonderful Life', I did see the video for these two tracks quite a lot on the music channels so I know these two at least got a fair amount of video airplay.

Hmm...I guess we can put Alors On Danse's flop down to being French then, and Wonderful Life's flop due to an absence of taste in the UK music buying public biggrin.gif

Satellite's flop can be put down to 'the Eurovision curse' and I Like didn't get any exposure whatsoever, so I can't believe that became a hit at all! As for Waka Waka, what the hell went wrong? She didn't get much airplay but it was everywhere all summer long, you couldn't escape hearing it throughout the World Cup! I guess it was just too weird for the UK, but that hasn't stopped Shakira having hits here before laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Sundream

24. Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars - Billionaire [#1]

I wasn't exactly a massive fan of Gym Class Heroes so this really took me by surprise when I first heard it. Admittedly, it's ridiculously American and has no resemblence to UK pop culture whatsoever - but I like it!!! biggrin.gif Well, I thought it was brilliant when it was first released and had hoped it'd get to no. 1 over The Wanted 'All Time Low'. Not that I didn't like 'ATL', I just thought 'Billionaire' was by far the better song - and still do. Despite everything, Travie McCoy scored his first #1 in my chart but Bruno Mars bagged himself a second chart topper for me as a featured vocalist.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 04:20 PM) *
I agree with you completely there. The only more fitting 'great to grate' example I can think of is Spiller's transition from Groovejet to Cry Baby drama.gif I was flabbergasted to see it in the top ten of the year on this forum;

http://auspop.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-pop-2010-no08.html

They must be listening to a different song to you and I laugh.gif 'One of the best choruses you heard all year' wacko.gif

Oh dear!!! laugh.gif Well, if the sound of a cat being strangled is music to their ears they can keep it. Then again, they're probably biased because Gabriella hails from Australia anyways. I personally find nails running down a blackboard much more enjoyable. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 04:22 PM) *
Hmm...I guess we can put Alors On Danse's flop down to being French then, and Wonderful Life's flop due to an absence of taste in the UK music buying public biggrin.gif

Satellite's flop can be put down to 'the Eurovision curse' and I Like didn't get any exposure whatsoever, so I can't believe that became a hit at all! As for Waka Waka, what the hell went wrong? She didn't get much airplay but it was everywhere all summer long, you couldn't escape hearing it throughout the World Cup! I guess it was just too weird for the UK, but that hasn't stopped Shakira having hits here before laugh.gif

I think the UK media is just ignorant towards other countries biggest hits. We've lost what made 1999 such a brilliant and diverse year for UK #1 hits. Whether you loved them or loathed them, we'll never have another Italian dance act like Eiffel 65 scoring a big UK hit. We'll never have another German womanizer like Lou Bega boasting about how many fit girls he'd slept with. We'll also probably never see another pop act from America come to the UK and with just a great song and unique image/music video sell just short of 500k in her first week of release like Britney Spears did. Oh, and how could I forget we'll never have an aging pop star turn a prayer into a UK #1 smash like Cliff Richard achieved. Maybe some things are best left in the past. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Sundream

23. Mumford & Sons - The Cave [#4]

It may have missed out on #1 and even the top 3, but Mumford & Sons scored by far their biggest hit in my chart when 'The Cave' was released back in February. What's surprised me more though is how successful Mumford & Sons have been in other countries. Their debut album 'Sigh No More' was #1 in Australia, and they've been successful in Europe (particularly Belguim). Now they're hovering around the lower regions of the US Billboard Hot 100 with 'Little Lion Man'. I would've preferred to have seen Mumford & Sons win the Mercury Music Prize 2010 over The XX. I'm sure others will disagree - that's just my opinion.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Sundream

22. Lady GaGa feat. Beyonce - Telephone [#3]

Up next is the GaGa who dominated my personal chart in 2009 with four no. 1 hits - three of which appeared in my Chart of 2009 top 10. 'Poker Face', as already mentioned finished #1, 'Just Dance' was #3 and 'Bad Romance' was #5. 'Paparazti' finished #20 in my Chart of 2009. Into 2010 and even with its massive budget 10 minute music video, 'Telephone' wasn't able to get past the competition and top my personal chart. As it were, the track stalled at #3 for four weeks.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Sundream

21. Take That - The Flood [#2]

Whilst 'Shame' managed to spend one week at no. 1 in my chart, Take That's massively high profile return with Robbie Williams saw 'The Flood' fall short of topping my chart and ended up stuck at #2 for three weeks. As of this week, 'The Flood' is still riding high in my top 20 so any extra points collected in early 2011 should help Take That rise higher in my All Time chart.

...and on that note, I'm taking a short break. Will return with the top 20 soon... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:53 PM