BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ** Hitstastic Top 40 Singles **, Chart of 2010
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

Into the top 20 and we kick things off with...

20. Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls [#3]

In 2008 Katy Perry became one of the most successful new artists to emerge. Debut single 'I Kissed A Girl' was tongue n' cheek and spent three weeks at #1 in my chart. Then 'Hot N Cold' was released and despite peaking at #3, the track ultimately performed better overall and overtook 'I Kissed A Girl' as Katy's biggest hit. 'California Gurls' was the triumphant return of Katy Perry and this track peaked at #3. To see the track selling over 123k in its first week of release in the UK was quite an achievement.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Sundream

19. Hurts - Wonderful Life [#1]

I was introduced to 'Wonderful Life' after seeing the track enter GD's chart in late 2009. Then I noticed it was getting a limited 7" release in January 2010. Even though the track didn't make any impression in the UK charts back in January, it got off to a solid start entering my chart at #1. However, when the track was given an official UK release back in September, I decided to re-enter the track purely as a last minute boost to gain the track some extra points towards the YTD chart - and also because I still think it's a brilliant track. The track may have only peaked at #21 in the UK but it became a much bigger hit in Europe. Once again, Europe get it right. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Sundream

18. Keri Hilson - I Like [#1]

Keri Hilson had been pretty much been a nobody in my personal chart before 2010. Her most successful chart appearance was as guest vocalist of Timbaland's 2007 hit 'The Way I Are' which peaked at #7. 'Knock You Down' which some people, for some reason, regarded as the best song of all time (really?!!! blink.gif ) just scraped into my top 40. Now it seems the tables have turned as I thought 'I Like' was a great track. It hadn't even been given a UK release but regardless it took hold of my chart for a fortnight at the start of 2010. Most people don't think this is Keri's best single but I definitely think it's her best. Each to their own...

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Sundream

17. Taio Cruz - Dynamite [#1]

Taio Cruz took my chart by storm when 'Come On Girl' was released peaking at #2 in my chart back in February 2008. Since then it's safe to say Taio Cruz has become one of the most successful British male artists over the past 12 months. He owes a lot to 'Break Your Heart' which I didn't think was much cop (it got to no. 11 in my chart) but first the Americans loved it, then the Australians, then Europe. It really was mind boggling stuff!!! laugh.gif At least Taio Cruz went on to release the far superior 'Dynamite' which spent a fortnight at #1 becoming his biggest hit in my chart.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Sundream

16. Sia - Clap Your Hands [#1]

I'm not entirely sure what happened with 'Clap Your Hands' in the UK. The track was already becoming a reasonably big hit in Europe and made its way into the HET30. Then I noticed the track on the release schedule and upon its week of release, Sia stormed at no. 1 in my chart. However it seems the track's release in the UK was cancelled at the last minute. Not entirely sure why as I think this is an incredible slice of disco pop; think Goldfrapp meets Moloko in 1979 and you have 'Clap Your Hands'. Also gotta love the Fraggle Rock-esque music video. Maybe it will get an official release sometime in 2011? I'm not holding my breath though.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Sundream

15. Kylie Minogue - All The Lovers [#2]

Considering the amount of love shown to 'All The Lovers' in various YTD charts other members have posted, it's astonishing to think this stalled at #2 in the Buzzjack Multichart. As for my personal chart, Kylie spent three weeks at #2 but was close to taking the no. 1 spot one particular week but ended up just missing out. Alas, this is one of Kylie's best singles in her career to date and easily her best "comeback" single, imo, since 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'. I've not yet seen my top 14 singles of 2010 so I'm guessing this is the highest placed #2 of 2010.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Sundream

14. Rihanna - Rude Boy [#1]

Whilst the UK was loving Tinie Tempah's 'Pass Out' for two weeks, I was much prefering the track that was occupying the no. 2 spot. Rihanna is reknowned for scoring multiple hits that have peaked at no. 2 in the UK. Right up there alongside Kylie Minogue and Madonna. 'Rude Boy' doesn't have intelligent lyrics but for me it doesn't matter. What the song does have is an infectious melody and catchy chorus that you hear once, and it's firmly lodged in the brain for hours.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Sundream

13. Alicia Keys - Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart [#1]

The track that was no. 1 in gooddelta's personal chart this week 12 months ago. biggrin.gif Having heard the song for the first time thanks to GD, I thought this was a fantastic piece or urban pop - much better than 'Doesn't Mean Anything' which was in the UK charts this time last year. 'Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart' got released across Europe and whilst the track was being cherry picked off the album on UK iTunes, the track didn't peak until June following Alicia's performance of the track during one of the Britain's Got Talent semi finals.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Nice to see you were introduced to both Wonderful Life and Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart by me biggrin.gif Both are amazing songs which fully deserved their success, be it in the UK or across Europe as it were.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Sundream

12. B.o.B. feat. Bruno Mars - Nothin' On You [#1]

The track that introduced both B.o.B. and Bruno Mars in the form of 'Nothin' On You'. A brilliant fusion of rap, pop and soul sounding like Outkast at their finest. The track rocketed to no. 1 where it stayed for three weeks. 'Airplanes' may have become the most popular/bigger selling single for B.o.B. but for me, this is his best single.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 06:04 PM) *
Nice to see you were introduced to both Wonderful Life and Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart by me biggrin.gif Both are amazing songs which fully deserved their success, be it in the UK or across Europe as it were.

Most personal charts come in useful as it reflects the different tastes of each member. It's only if I look at a personal chart and Miley Cyrus, Cheryl Cole and Justin Bieber are occupying the top 3 then I don't even contemplate reading the rest. In those cases, I've already read more than enough!!! kink.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Sundream

11. Owl City - Fireflies [#1]

The track that rounded off 2009 as my brand new no. 1 was still there well into 2010. Owl City spent a total of five weeks at no. 1 with 'Fireflies' - the latter three weeks in 2010. I was first introduced to this track last summer when we had Unknown Pleasures on ChC Media. Terrypops (is he a member on Buzzjack?) entered the track and I gave the track top points - can't remember the results though but don't think Owl City won. drama.gif As it goes, 'Fireflies' started climbing up the US Billboard Hot 100 a couple of months later and I was really shocked when the track eventually peaked at #1 there as it didn't seem like the type of track I'd expect to see topping the US chart. Surprising, but pleasing nonetheless.

Coming up; the Hitstastic Top 10 Singles of 2010... dance.gif

Predictions? biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 06:15 PM) *
11. Owl City - Fireflies [#1]

The track that rounded off 2009 as my brand new no. 1 was still there well into 2010. Owl City spent a total of five weeks at no. 1 with 'Fireflies' - the latter three weeks in 2010. I was first introduced to this track last summer when we had Unknown Pleasures on ChC Media. Terrypops (is he a member on Buzzjack?) entered the track and I gave the track top points - can't remember the results though but don't think Owl City won. drama.gif As it goes, 'Fireflies' started climbing up the US Billboard Hot 100 a couple of months later and I was really shocked when the track eventually peaked at #1 there as it didn't seem like the type of track I'd expect to see topping the US chart. Surprising, but pleasing nonetheless.

I won that, with Robots In Love by Beautiful Small Machines wub.gif Fireflies only came 5th (ohmy.gif) but I gave it my top points as well and it quickly got to #2 in my chart in summer 2009! biggrin.gif My smash radar obviously told me that it was a hit of the future heehee.gif

Owl City were never going to win anyway. CHC was far too 'indie' and all of the indie posters hated him for his claims that he 'wasn't influenced by The Postal Service'. Personally I judge music by its own merits and not by the views or arrogance of the artist behind it but each to their own I guess laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 29 2010, 06:18 PM) *
I won that, with Robots In Love by Beautiful Small Machines wub.gif Fireflies only came 5th (ohmy.gif) but I gave it my top points as well and it quickly got to #2 in my chart in summer 2009! biggrin.gif My smash radar obviously told me that it was a hit of the future heehee.gif

Owl City were never going to win anyway. CHC was far too 'indie' and all of the indie posters hated him for his claims that he 'wasn't influenced by The Postal Service'. Personally I judge music by its own merits and not by the views or arrogance of the artist behind it but each to their own I guess laugh.gif

Oh, was that the same contest? ohmy.gif I entered Sally Shapiro 'Love In July' which I remember was winning until the last couple of votes were announced then 'Robots In Love' overtook and ended up winning. So we held the top 2 positions. biggrin.gif

As for the whole The Postal Service claims, I'd never heard of them anyways when I heard 'Fireflies' for the first time. Even then. when someone did post a YouTube clip for one of The Postal Service's music videos, my reaction to the song was that yes it did proved that Owl City was heavily influenced by them, but their own song wasn't anywhere near as catchy or memorable. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Sundream

** "it's the final countdown (do do doo doo, do do do do doo, etc...) **

Time to reveal the order of my top 10 biggest hits of 2010:

10. Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up [#2]

So Kylie's 'All The Lovers' isn't my highest placed #2 of 2010. Looks like that acolade goes to Eliza Doolittle with the sublime 'Pack Up'. It was also great to see this track gaining in popularity as the track climbed its way up to #5 in the UK charts. Definitely one of my fave tracks of the year and glad it's made my Chart of 2010 top 10.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Sundream

09. K'naan - Wavin' Flag [#1]

Whilst most other people regarded 'Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)' as their World Cup 2010 anthem, I much prefered this track which spent the duration of the World Cup at no. 1 in my chart and defined June/July for me. During the summe, I heard several different versions of 'Wavin' Flag'; the original albeit slower version, the David Guetta & Will.I.Am. mix (which got a fair amount of video airplay) and all those other language versions. For me, it was all about the Celebration Mix.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Sundream

08. Timbaland feat. Katy Perry - If We Ever Meet Again [#1]

Before releasing her second studio album, Katy Perry was busy keeping her UK profile high by featuring on tracks such as 'Starstruck' by 3Oh!3 and this brilliant track courtesy of Timbaland. Oh, and dating Russell Brand whom she married in October. Timbaland has been quite inconsistant in my chart having only one previous #1 in my chart ('Apologize'). Even though this was the second single taken from 'Shock Value II', I couldn't bring myself to chart 'Morning After Dark' purely because Timbaland sounds retarded on the track like he's being electricuted whilst singing. Tragic!!! smile.gif Alas, I also didn't chart 'Carry Out' because it lacked the most important ingredient; a song!!! kink.gif

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Sundream

07. Plan B - She Said [#1]

I have never compiled an album chart but if I did, Plan B's 'The Defamation Of Strickland Banks' would be my #1 album of 2010. It's a fantastic concept album with some cracking tracks including the singles 'Love Goes Down', 'Stay Too Long' and 'She Said' which topped my chart for two weeks. When I first heard 'She Said' it screamed "massive hit" and when I saw the video for the time that cemented how much I thought this was going to be a massive hit. What happened? It was outsold in its first week by Scouting For Girls 'This Ain't A Love Song'!!! manson.gif Not that I have anything against the track but it's not that good and typical of the UK charts in 2010, it's 'She Said' that has rightfully gone on to be the bigger selling single.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 29th December 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Sundream

06. Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World) [#1]

Mikey, you were wrong!!! tongue.gif

The most recent no. 1 in my personal chart to make an apperance is 'Only Girl (In The World)' by Rihanna. There's no denying that Rihanna has completely owned 2010. Despite 'Rated R' having a lukewarm start, the album produced its most successful single in 'Rude Boy' back in March. Then Rihanna kept herself in the public domain thanks to another song yet to appear. happy.gif Thus leading to the 'Loud' era which thanks mainly to this track and current single 'What's My Name?' has helped Rihanna to become one of, if not the biggest selling female artist of 2010.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th December 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Dec 29 2010, 06:28 PM) *
Oh, was that the same contest? ohmy.gif I entered Sally Shapiro 'Love In July' which I remember was winning until the last couple of votes were announced then 'Robots In Love' overtook and ended up winning. So we held the top 2 positions. biggrin.gif

As for the whole The Postal Service claims, I'd never heard of them anyways when I heard 'Fireflies' for the first time. Even then. when someone did post a YouTube clip for one of The Postal Service's music videos, my reaction to the song was that yes it did proved that Owl City was heavily influenced by them, but their own song wasn't anywhere near as catchy or memorable. sad.gif

Yep that was the one, Love In July would have got my 10 points wub.gif Both Fireflies and Love In July made my chart for quite a few weeks!

I had heard of The Postal Service and their abomination of a cover of Against All Odds but I completely agree, I think another thing that people didn't like is that it was like 'The Postal Service for kids', because most people favour lyrics over catchy melodies. Sadly I'm more shallow and prefer a catchy chorus when I'm listening to pop music. If I want words I'll read books heehee.gif

I don't see what the big fuss over the whole thing was myself, hundreds of songs/artists sound the same...so what if he refused to admit that he'd been influenced by them, I'm sure my LB9 songs sound like a load of dance I've listened to in the 90s/early 00s but I wouldn't say that 'ah yes, BBE were a huge inspiration of mine', because frankly they weren't. You may have subconsciously been influenced by something even if you're not necessarily a fan/loon of it in the first place.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:00 PM