BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Album tracks that were helped by a single release., Songs that you didn't like originally...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 23rd March 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Couldn't think of a better title BUT...

Are there any tracks from an album that you didn't think too much of on first few listens of the album, so when they were announced as singles you thought "WTF?!", but then come video release/single release they really hit you hard, make you think "ahhh this makes so much sense as a single" so much so that you'd say they are "essentials" by that particular artist now?

Make sense? Probably not but for example (not restricting this to just "pop" btw - any genre is welcome).

My faves are:

Nicole Scherzinger - Right There:

Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love:

They're the two biggest examples that come to my mind. I remember being well pissed off when Nicole announced RT as the single to follow 'Don't Hold Your Breath'. I was thinking "are you actually SERIOUS?! blink.gif" especially as she had the likes of 'Wet', 'Say Yes', 'Club Banger Nation' & 'Desperate' ready for release. So I wasn't happy at all, despite enjoying 'Right There' a little bit (6/10 kinda way, but it was one of my least favourites!) And then the video got released and suddenly the release seemed perfect and I now consider it to be my favourite from her.

'Dance Like We're Making Love' has always been a good song, but in comparison to what else was on the album and the amount of single ready songs, it never even crossed my mind it'd make a great single. 'That's How I'm Feeling', 'Kiss & Tell', 'One Woman Army' are the "hits" on that album, imo and everything else were just great songs on an album. However, again thanks to the video, 'Dance Like We're Making Love' seemed like the most logical choice in the end. Such a fantastic song that's gone on to become a firm favourite of mine and I don't know why I was upset at it ever being announced as a single!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd March 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Kylie's 'Better Than Today' from Aphrodite always springs to mind. I (and everyone else on Buzzjack) wanted either the title track or 'Cupid Boy' so it was pretty underwhelming to hear 'Better Than Today' got chosen, since it wasn't one I paid the slightest bit of attention. However, hearing it on radio and the X Factor performance turned things around big time. I still wish 'Cupid Boy' had been a single but things could have turned out a lot worse.

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 23rd March 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
tempted by kings with the finest of things
User: 21,231

For me I never really dug Dark Side by Kelly, until it was released as a single, and I was forced to see how glorious it was. When Little Mix said they were releasing How Ya Doin' over Red Planet, or Stereo Soldier, I was seriously like WTAF?! but the single version with Missy Elliot is one of my favourite things they've done, so that. And I would say I raised an eyebrow when Rebecca Ferguson announced Too Good To Lose as her second single from Heaven, but now I adore it wub.gif

+Quote this post
post 23rd March 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It used to be skippable on Prism for me, but after it was released, hearing it in clubs, seeing the video it's become one of my all time favourite Katy songs.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd March 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'This Is How We Do' has always been one of my faves. 'Birthday' is the single that shouldn't have been imo. I guess I understand why due to it being the most radio friendly hit off the album, but it is still my least fave off that album.

I was gonna say 'How Ya Doin?' but it's not my favourite of their singles so didn't include it haha. Also, 'Cupid Boy' and 'Closer' are the best non-singles from the 'Aphrodite' era for me. Such missed opportunities, the former more than the latter especially.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 23rd March 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Better Than Today was an average album track and a piss poor single, liam I expected better from you.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 23rd March 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Pixie Lott - Gravity

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 23rd March 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I agree with "How Ya Doin?", I hated it originally but now consider it to be the best single from the first era. And I'd say "Birthday" to an extent for Katy, think it was more a case of not paying it enough attention as an album track but it was a bit 'over Walking On Air???' and now it's a PROPER jam <3

"Blank Space" was initially one of my least favourites from 1989, based on the first couple of listens, so I was side-eyeing a bit when that was announced as single #2 so soon.

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 23rd March 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
tempted by kings with the finest of things
User: 21,231

Blank Space for me too as well, I was really shocked when tay tay announced that as the second single, because on the first couple listens I was sure it was a filler album track, but then when it was released I completely fell in love with it. As for Katy, I always loved Birthday and This is How We Do, Birthday was actually my favourite off the album (still is) I think Unconditionally was my biggest surprise single for Prism, again though really love it now.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd March 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Firstly I always liked 'Better Than Today', as an album track it's great, but as a single, I'd say it's NOT, 'Aphrodite', 'Cupid Boy' or 'Closer' were all much better choices.

When this was first announced, I was initially disappointed, as I found it rather damp and limp, but when it got slightly altered for it's single release, It started to grow on me, and I actually quite love it. While it's far from being one of their best singles, it's still decent enough. But there were better songs on the album than this though 'Feels So Good', 'Walking On The Water' or even 'Love Won't Wait', all would have been better choices.

At first I wasn't keen on this song, and always found it an odd single choice, especially over tracks like 'Free Xone' or 'What About'. And to be honest I find it a kinda safe choice that backfired badly, when it flopped. But now honestly I love the song, it's so beautiful and it does show another side to the fantastic 'Velvet Rope'.

I always wanted 'Fever' to be the final single from this album, and still think it would have been a better choice. But now this song has grown on me through the years and it does have a sophisticated sound to it.

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 24th March 2016, 11:33 PM
Post #11
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

I thought 'Blank Space' sounded like the possible next single. 'Wildest Dreams' on the other hand didn't sound like single material to me when the album was recently released back in 2014.

Also, I imagine remixes or single versions of album tracks don't count because they were different ('Light It Up', 'Bang My Head', etc.)?

This post has been edited by FM11: 24th March 2016, 11:34 PM

+Quote this post
Jake.
post 25th March 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,580

I felt this way about Girls Aloud's 'Whole Lotta History' back before it was released as a single. How wrong of me, I know, but being quite young at the time, I can understand why I didn't like it and although I definitely appreciate it more now, it's probably my second least favourite on the Chemistry album (my least favourite being somewhat obviously 'See the Day').

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 26th March 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #13
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

Most recently 'Piece by Piece' by Kelly Clarkson that was performed on American Idol. I actually didn't think much of the performance but I gave the album and single versions a chance and I now officially love the song.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 26th March 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #14
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

Just checked my libary so here's a few more:

Beyonce - Love on Top
Charli XCX - Doing It (feat. Rita Ora)
P!nk - Glitter in the Air