BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Selma
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 19th January 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Previews today in honour of Martin Luther King Day, official UK release is 6th February.

Can't deny the significance and importance of the story told, but it's not one of my favourite movies. One where 'enjoy' wouldn't really be the right word with the violence that takes place. The most shocking part for me was when a white man was murdered just for supporting the marches.

Say what you like about John Legend but I REALLY hope that "Glory" goes on to win the Oscar for Best Original Song, coming off the back of picking up the Golden Globe. It sounded really powerful at the end of the movie with the events of Ferguson referenced in the lyrics.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 19th January 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Seeing this this week. It'll be the last major film of Oscar season that I need to see.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 27th January 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

Just finished watching this and I thought this was absolutely incredible. Compelling and heart-wrenching but telling such a wonderful story. I can get why some may not find it "enjoyable" due to all the brutality and hard issues to deal with but I loved it due to how fantastic the story-telling was along with the outstanding performance by Oweloyo which really carried the film into a different league.

A real shame it is such an outsider for the Oscar. I don't necessarily think it should win but it should be up there in the contest anyway, at least for me (how the utterly static and morally questionable American Sniper is deemed to have a better chance than this is beyond me).

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th January 2015, 12:56 AM
Post #4
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Seeing this in a couple of weeks and can't wat wub.gif
Only got this, American sniper and boyhood to watch of the best picture nominees now

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 13th April 2015, 09:13 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"Selma" was released on my city's cinemas two months ago, but there was a lot of competition that time and it had quite a disappointing start. "Selma" was one of the eight nominated films in the category for "Best Film" at the Oscar but it hadn’t a chance to win the Gold Statuette. This does not mean that the film is not good but "Boyhood" along with "Birdman" had already collected the majority of the awards such as "Golden Globes" and "Bafta". "Selma" was nominated for four Golden Globes and won in the category for "Best Original Song" while it had been nominated for two Oscar awards, in which it won the "Best Original Song". It wasn’t advertised as the other nominated movies and the promotion was not the best but the choice of the Oscar made me not ignore this film.
"Selma" is based on true events and it takes place in the homonymous city of Alabama. There, Martin Luther King is trying to convince the local African-Americans to begin a march to Montgomery to convince the American President Lyndon Johnson, to sign into law the Civil Rights Act. Do not forget that up to that time (1965), African-Americans could not vote in the Southern States of America and that was something that made them become active as soon as possible. His speeches of visionary Martin Luther King definitely played a major role in the psychology of African-Americans because he was one of the greatest personalities of his time! The film moves slowly but occasionally there were some very strong scenes that caused us strong emotions. The Afro-American director of the film Ava DuVernay, although she has not particularly filmography to her credit, did a great job in this movie. Do not forget that this is the first African-American to receive a nomination for "Best Director" at the Golden Globes and is the first African-American to have a candidate film for "Best Picture" at the Oscar. So, "Selma" managed already too many achievements. Of course, there were many people who criticized the American Academy Awards this year, because they didn’t suggest Ava DuVernay for "Best Director" at the Oscars. Also, there were many who reported the absence of black actors on 20 nominations for performances (it had not occurred since 1998), although David Oyeloyo could be a contender based on his performance. He was very good in his role and convinces as Martin Luther King. The second roles were quite good without any particular interpretation and the soundtrack was remarkable. The movie has some real video documents and the additions of them gave a higher value to the overall effect of the film while the part of the art direction did a very good job!
"Selma" is a remarkable production, but the fact that "12 Years a Slave" starred last year, it played a role in the inability to gain the attention of this year's Oscar. However, it could have gained the support of the American Film Academy after "Selma" has much in common with the dramatic events in Ferguson last August. Maybe that vindicated somehow the residents of this city. However, Selma received very positive reviews and has been loved by many viewers who saw it as receiving a high average score in IMDb (7,6). Nevertheless, I believe that it had been harmed by a large section of the public due to the very low earnings worldwide. I wouldn’t say that it was between my top films of last year but it’s a powerful story which deserves the attention of movie-goers.

I loved this song from the movie :

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 13th April 2015, 09:14 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:14 AM