BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Fences', Starring Denzel Washington, Viola Davis
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Sep 27 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Looks outstanding. Viola and Denzel could both be favourites to win awards, surely!? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Sep 27 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Excellent trailer, about time we saw something of this. They each won a Tony award for the play so if I was putting money somewhere, they'd be my top picks right now (although I've seen a couple of mutterings that Viola could go Supporting to cement a win unsure.gif)

+Quote this post
Regina
post Sep 27 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
QUOTE(J▲hq @ Sep 27 2016, 04:59 PM) *
Excellent trailer, about time we saw something of this. They each won a Tony award for the play so if I was putting money somewhere, they'd be my top picks right now (although I've seen a couple of mutterings that Viola could go Supporting to cement a win unsure.gif)

She better, Slaymy is coming....

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Sep 28 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
Viola has this.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Sep 28 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
OMG that trailer...Viola got me on tears cry.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Feb 12 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Very much a performance movie, in general it felt too play-like (of course, it is based on one..). The acting all round was great but having seen all the Best Picture nominees now, I think this will be bottom of my rank.

+Quote this post
JackJones
post Feb 12 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15
The worst of the nine films nominated for the best picture by far. Terrible.

This post has been edited by JackJones: Feb 12 2017, 10:58 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 13 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Mainly agree with Jahq on this one, Viola & Denzel were amazing and both deserve awards, but I wouldn't say the film itself is worthy of a Best Picture nom. It was farrr too long for what it was and nothing felt especially cinematic about it or suggesting it was anything more than just a filmed version of the play (maybe that was the point, but still, I feel every adaptation should have some differences as it may as well just stay as it is otherwise!)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Feb 13 2017, 12:36 AM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Feb 21 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #9
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Agree with the other comments that this was basically liked watching a filmed play, I still enjoyed it but it was a little on the long side and I'm sure the live atmosphere would have kept me more interested than I was here. My mind was wandering in the middle when not much was really going on but it brought be back in with third act, the scene where the affair was revealed and Viola was incredible, despite Denzel having the showier part (and doing a good job of it too), I was definitely more drawn to her and she killed it in the emotional scenes. Much like Manchester by the Sea, I liked how real it felt and the ending with not-so-perfect family situation is just how things work out sometimes and I think the fact it didn't feel very cinematic worked in its favour in that aspect at least. The performances were great and kept the film interesting but the plot (aside from a few bright moments) was a little on the dull side for me.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:10 AM