BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Light Years ● album discussion, 7th album ● 2000
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 2000's Light Years.

0. Passsword (Hidden Track)
1. Spinning Around
2. On a Night Like This
3. So Now Goodbye
4. Disco Down
5. Loveboat
6. Koocachoo
7. Your Disco Needs You
8. Please Stay
9. Bittersweet Goodbye
10. Butterfly
11. Under the Influence of Love
12. I'm So High
13. Kids (with Robbie Williams)
14. Light Years
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Love this light years/ turn it into love medley. Light years is just Kylie for me in every way, just loved everything light years related but this medley and performance is a big fave of mine.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 7th May 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
This is up there with ‘Your Disco Needs You’ - pure camp fun pop song ‘Light Years’

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632
Spinning around I skip, kids is dire, your disco needs you shouldn’t have been a single but disco down should have, on a night like this is perfection

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Light Years is put together perfectly and is the best reflection of why I am a fan of her as an artist.
The album celebrated who Kylie is as an artist and it has a nod to the Kylie who started out her music journey in 1988.
Light Years never grows old and remains her best album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
It was a brill time, I loved the press interest in the comeback and the press were really behind her which was a big help. The links with robbie was in her favour aswell as he was huge then. I know kids isnt popular here but I was sure it would go to number 1 as they both had strong fan bases.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 9th May 2020, 11:20 AM
Post #7
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Time for my Light Years review =

Password
The album officially begins with a hidden bonus track (you literally have to rewind from the beginning of 'SA' to get it), never worked for me and didn't hear this until many years later. Its a funky little pop number that has a very 'Groove Is In The Heart' by Deee-Lite feel to it. A nice little track, although not entirely necessary, but an ok start.

Spinning Around
This is where things really take off with this explosive disco/pop comeback anthem that brought back a career that was on life support, and gave us the modern pop sound that everybody wanted and needed from Kylie at the time. Assisted with a simple but effective music video and of course those iconic gold hotpants probably helped just a little and after a 10 year absence, this put her back on top and re-crowned as the princess of pop. Imagine if co-writer Paula Abdul lapped this song up for herself, then how different would things have been. But thank god that never happened as this suits Kylie so much better.

On A Night Like This
The awesome pop carries through to this brilliant harder edged dance/pop number that has more of a euro pop feel to it. Beginning with breathy, whispering vocals words then builds to unleash her full vocal power in the middle eight and of course this became the 2nd single and showed no signs of slowing down by becoming another smash hit, and of course helped by yet another classy and cool music video and reaffirming Kylie's renewed popularity.

So Now Goodbye
The disco sound continues with yet another cracking tune that's just very fun and camp, with some strong hooks that makes this an all-round great sing-a-long track.

Disco Down
The quality of greatness continue with this rocking disco number where the whole thing builds and builds beautifully, as well as capturing that 70's sound perfectly thanks to its funky futuristic production and soaring chorus. This is just simply amazing and the first of many tracks that could have easily been a single, I mean just imagine how the music video could turned out.

Loveboat
Some camp disco pop with this fun little number that pretty much sums up this whole album. Its such a joyus affair with a very summery feel to it and really pops when performed live. Ultra camp, ultra fun.

Koocachoo
Back to or just remain on the dancelfoor with this slighty rockier and fun little kooky number that bops along quite nicely, although I wouldn’t rank this as one of my faves on here, its fine.

Your Disco Needs You
Perhaps the greatest Kylie single that never got a UK release. This riotus pop/disco number turns the camp factor up to a 100 and its just glorious, a true gay anthem for the ages. The highlight comes at the end where Kylie takes her voice to its absolute zenith and goes into operatic mode, holding that note till the epic end of this song. This is now a staple of her live performances and concerts, and every time Kylie pulls it off to a standing ovation from her audience.

Please Stay
Some cool shimmering pop now with this classy track that differs slightly from the rest of the album with its Latin tones and Spanish guitar sound, but still has that hint of disco/pop sound and flows really well with the album.

Bittersweet Goodbye
Things slow down with this beautiful heartfelt piano ballad that offers a nice refreshing change of pace from the uptempo numbers and is certainly the most emotional, beautiful song and her voice simply shines here.

Butterfly
So it’s back to the floor with this high octane electro-dance number thats full of life and vitality with its cool club feel, very eurphoric and definately ranks as one of the best and strongest tracks on here, another missed single opportnity.

Under The Influence of Love
The sole cover on this album and its pretty good with lush swirling opening bars and builds into a sophisicated summery little number that’s catchy and bounces along freely for its short duration and is placed perfectly on this album.

I'm So High
One of the more fillerish moments on here with this slightly rockier psychedelic number that has a nice cool vibe to it. An okay moment but wouldn’t call it a standout by any means.

Kids (Ft Robbie Williams)
I know this isn’t well liked amongst Kylie fans, but it did give Kylie another smash hit and did help sell the album, and honestly I quite like it, a glorious show stopping epic and the chemsitry by both artists are on point and lyrically well crafted and just oozes sex appeal. Yeah its more Robbie than Kylie, but its still a hell pf a lot of fun.

Light Years
The closing and title track with this strong offering and its back to the 70’s disco vibe with a classy sparkly beat that’s a slight nod to everything thats come before and therefore ending things on an almighty high. An amazing end to an incredible album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I agree with your views on nearly everything here, the album just rolls out brilliant songs one after the other. Koochchoo and love boat are the weakest on the album but they arent bad either. I also love all the art work for light years.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 10th May 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Kylie delivered an album a large percentage of her fans craved for numerous years.
Kylie's focus was pop music and she captured so much delightful pop music on one magnificent album.
It was Kylie saying, if it's pop you want I am delivering pop perfection.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 11:06 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I think when kylie made this album she knew it could be her last shot at reviving her career so it was a well thought out album and they nailed it. Really wish it went number 1 though.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 11th May 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It is the Kylie album that should have Number 1 status and it remains disappointing it failed.
That said, Number 2 and half a million sales was more than huge progress from both Kylie Minogue 94 and Impossible Princess.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 11th May 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
How much did Kylie loose out to madonna on her second week at number 1?

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th May 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 11 2020, 07:04 PM) *
How much did Kylie loose out to madonna on her second week at number 1?

Madonna sold 84k and Kylie sold 43k.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 12th May 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It was never a battle to begin with based on those sales figures.
Did Light Years have an early midweek Number 1?

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 12th May 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
From my memory no, I had great hope's of number 1 and remember been disappointed by midweek reports.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th May 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
After listening to the album for the first time.....

1. Password 5/10 - Didnt appreciate this, i am surprised it is track one but understand now after reading wiki.
2. Spinning Around 9/10
3. On A Night Like This 10/10 - i adore this now and it may be my fav ever Kylie song, i appreciate it a lot more now than when released
4. So Now Goodbye 4/10 - Sounds like a B Side
5. Disco Down 8/10 - Instantly a catchy song
6. Love Boat 7/10
7. Koochacoo 6/10
8. YDNY 8/10 - What Kylie does best
9. Please Stay 7/10 - Should not have been a single but its pleasant. Was it chosen because Biff wrote/produced it?
10. Bittersweet Goodbye 5/10
11. Butterfly 9/10 - love this , could have had an amazing video too !!
12. Under The Influence Of Love 7/10
13. Im So High 7/10
14. Kids 9/10 - why does every Kylie hardcore fan hate this song? Its an anthem !!
15. Light Years 9/10 - reminds me of 'I Feel Love' by Donna Summer (dont like the speaking part)

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th May 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
From the scores you have allocated to the songs you enjoyed the second half of the album the most.
I would in large agree with many of your scores with the exception of Bittersweet Goodbye.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th May 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Light Years and Butterfly are great songs in the closing out part of the album and i would have loved either as single, under the influence and disco down were others i wanted as a single aswell, i prefer these 4 and bittersweet goodbye more than any of the singles but as much as i love bittersweet goodbye i never wanted it as a single, it was always a song that belonged as an album track. Your disco needs you ( i see it as kind of a single) but i also prefer this to the 4 main singles from the album.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th May 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The mixture of many great quality songs always made the decisions around selecting singles very hard.
The path taken with singles is understandable.
That said, a 5th single could have made it and if backed with a strong campaign could have secured Kylie a 5th Top 10 single from Light Years.
Light Years offered a high benchmark of quality choices.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th May 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'd have loved the 5th single from light years as I was a bit disappointed none of my faves were singles, I also enjoyed that brilliant run of top 10 singles that came after so the 5th single ideally would have also went top 10.From all my faves I think disco down would have made the best single but I also think that woukd have been a better 4th single than please stay.

+Quote this post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:08 PM