BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: #13, namaste! allez! + minaj a deux + 15 new entries
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 27th March 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Jason falls away, Coldsmokers take the bronze for another week, and Nicki’s No Frauds comes in second as Calvin Harris’s Slide holds on to #1 for a second week running. Notably, I haven’t bought the track yet, it’s made it to the top spot from streaming alone. Swalla dips to #4 and becomes the joint longest-runner in the top 10 along with Una Healy’s Battlelines, reversing its drop from last week to grab another week there. Dreezy, J Sutta, and Cold War Kids’ Can We Hang On? rise to join last week’s holdovers, and are met by this week’s highest new entry at #10, 2017’s first Eurovision charter, Francesco Gabbani’s Occidentali’s Karma, which will compete for Italy this May. It’s already been making waves through Europe.

This week sees 14 other new entries as well as Gabbani; these come from, respectively, The Midnight, Inna, Era Istrefi, Duran Duran and Kiesza, Gaga, London Grammar, Paces, Pitbull and Leona Lewis (!), Brooke Candy, Airling, Vera Blue, Zhu, and another Eurovisioner, Latvia’s Triana Park. After so many dropouts for new entries this week and last, long-runners are thin on the ground; this week, Sophie Ellis-Bextor becomes the longest-running track in the chart (now there’s a phrase I didn’t think I’d be saying in 2017) with the #6-peaking Wild Forever.

Here’s the big list then now, the top 40 for this last week of March. Check out my further posts down below for new entry track videos, which I think due to the number, I’ll be splitting in two this week. Also feel free to check out my Spotify playlist! A good way to discover new tracks biggrin.gif

01 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos - Slide [20-10-1-1]
02 Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne - No Frauds [11-2]
03 Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This [34-15-3-3]
04 Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj - Swalla [34-3-2-2-4]
05 Flume ft. Beck - Tiny Cities [7-6-5]
06 Dreezy - Wasted [24-6]
07 Una Healy - Battlelines [29-20-5-4-10-7]
08 Cold War Kids - Can We Hang On ? [18-8]
09 J Sutta - Pushed Me [14-9]
10 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma [N]
11 Bebe Rexha ft. G-Eazy – F.F.F. [33-7-8-5-11]
12 The Midnight - Synthetic [N]
13 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16-13]
14 Rainy Milo - Swimming On Me [25-19-14]
15 Inna - Gimme Gimme [N]
16 Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow - Redrum [N]
17 Duran Duran ft. Kiesza x Louis Vivet - Last Night in the City [N]
18 Lady Gaga x Andrelli - Million Reasons [N]
19 KATO & Sigala ft. Hailee Steinfeld - Show You Love [26-17-12-19]
20 Steps - Scared Of The Dark [37-20]
21 Alina Baraz ft. Khalid - Electric [19-13-21]
22 Maggie Rogers - On and Off [30-22]
23 Lorde - Green Light [37-23-23]
24 ALMA x Branchez - Dye My Hair [28-34-24]
25 Gavin Turek - It's The Light [20-20-25]
26 The XX - Dangerous [28-26]
27 Tove Lo - Keep It Simple [39-27]
28 Brooke Candy - Paper or Plastic [N]
29 Paces ft. Esther Sparkles - Sometimes [N]
30 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Wild Forever [14-7-6-8-12-31-30]
31 Little Big Town - Don't Die Young, Don't Get Old [N]
32 London Grammar x THRDL!FE - Big Picture [N]
33 Pitbull ft. Leona Lewis - Only Ones To Know [N]
34 Triana Park - Line [N]
35 Lana Del Rey - Love [12-6-5-4-35]
36 Elle King - Wild Love [29-36]
37 Charli XCX ft. M0 - Pull Up (3am) [38-37]
38 Vera Blue - Private [N]
39 Airling - Not A Fighter [N]
40 ZHU - Nightcrawler [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 27th March 2017, 10:40 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
toffochews
post 28th March 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,120

16 Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow - Redrum [N]
17 Duran Duran ft. Kiesza x Louis Vivet - Last Night in the City [N]
loving these

great chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 28th March 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #3
Group icon

A lot of changes in the chart as the season changes and it finally feels like spring this week. Inna, Era, and Pitbull and Leona Lewis bring a spot of sunshine, while the Eurovision tracks debuting so early make it feel later in the year than it is. And also I have some time off this week, so maybe that’s helping too!

Just over half of the chart has dropped out and been replaced by new entrants over the last two weeks, so anyone looking for some new tracks, take your pick. Hopefully some of you enjoy what I’m sharing here biggrin.gif

So without further ado, here’s a few of those new entries; I’ll make a second post to cover the rest later on!

Highest new entry this week goes to Eurovision. Tis the season...just about. Occidentali's Karma is a lot of fun, sung by the adorable slightly older man Francesco Gabbani, featuring a cute silly dance and a gorilla, as well as a really strong chorus hook. It's in Italian, but really, once you get into it, that doesn't matter. There's a version going around youtube right now with English subtitles, but honestly I prefer the original although I don't understand a word.

Second-highest new entry this week is also The Midnight's second entry ever. It compares pretty favourably and similarly to The 1975's slower moments, e.g. Change of Heart, This Must Be My Dream. Any fans of that band should check The Midnight out. I'd love to see them do well this year. Their retro 80s feel also reminds me of Phoenix and the TV show Stranger Things.

Inna returns with more of her usual fare, an interesting new take on a dance/party sound, classic party lyrics, a fun video, sun, and great costumes. It's a third consecutive charter for the Romanian on my personals following Heaven (#1) and Say It With Your Body (#3) from last year. It's not an instant song, but it grows on you strongly.

Following-up last year's hit BonBon, it's Era Istrefi. Era looks gorgeous and powerful in the video, and is singing in English. She's the latest of a wave of Albanian-Kosovan female singers to cross over, following the steps of Rita Ora, Bebe Rexha and Dua Lipa. It's less instant than BonBon, but a grower.

Gaga's fourth charter from the Joanne era, and the chart debut of any version of Million Reasons for me, despite Gaga's almost manic promo of the track. Altough I've enjoyed live performances, the studio version of the base song just doesn't compare. This remix by Andrelli really elevates it though. It's the producer's chart debut.

A delayed charter for Brooke Candy that released in 2016 but at a time when I was still obsessed with her previous release Changes. It's an interesting track with a stylized, cult-classic-esque video, and is another step in Brooke's evolution from trash rapper to mainstream girl rapper. The transformation deepens with her most recent track, Living Out Loud, which features Sia and should impact for me later this month.

My journey into the country pop crossover fandom continues in 2015. It's a journey started by Eurovision entrants The Common Linnets back in 2014 and Pink's You+Me album, and it's been an interesting ride. This is the chart debut for male-female country pop harmony group Little Big Town, and has a tone of wisdom to it. It lifts from their most recent album The Breaker.

The second remix to chart this week, this time by THRDL!FE. The remix speeds up and adds some bounce to London Grammar's second consecutive ballad release following Rooting For You, a top 10 on my charts. The original track may still grow on me, but this one suits me more for now.

The long-awaited (by Leona fans) Leona-Pitbull collab finally materialised on the rapper's latest album, the newly released Climate Change. It's actually a pretty good song and could revitalise Leona's career if it makes it out the gates as a single. I've been saying for years that she should be doing features as she has exactly the qualities to do well that route; a great voice and little to no identity of her own, so can slot in anywhere. Good to see her going for it.

More of these to come. If you have comments or thoughts, I'd love to hear em! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 28th March 2017, 02:51 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 28th March 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Hiya Jupiter!

Calvin doing well here then, looking forward to his upcoming collab?

Busy week! That Occidentali song is really weird especially with the video but I quite like it, great to see Gimme Gimme debut, such a fun track.

Pitbull x Leona is certainly an eye-raising collab!

Nice chart.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 29th March 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Hey Jupiter! Here's what I like from your chart:

01 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos - Slide [20-10-1-1] Must admit I'm not fully on board with this, I don't mind it but I prefer his club bangers.
03 Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This [34-15-3-3]
04 Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj - Swalla [34-3-2-2-4] Kinda growing on me, I find it both anonying and catchy in equal measures lol
13 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16-13]
20 Steps - Scared Of The Dark [37-20] Nice climb! If only they'd achieved that same climb officially last week...
23 Lorde - Green Light [37-23-23]
24 ALMA x Branchez - Dye My Hair [28-34-24]
35 Lana Del Rey - Love [12-6-5-4-35] WTF at that crazy fall from No. 4?!? Did you just totally go off it? unsure.gif

Good stuff smile.gif

+Quote this post
seven.
post 30th March 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #6
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

Hi Jupiterrrr

liking this chart lots- Calvin's best song in ages #1, eurovision stuff (Occidentali's Karma is easily one of the highlights)

should hear that one from The Midnight, based on the two great tracks they had in the buzzjack song contest

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 1st April 2017, 03:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon

Part 2 of video links! Thanks for all your comments, I feel very popular :3 - I will get to replying to them smile.gif

From a newly-released remix EP that appeared in my Spotify recommendations, comes the unlikely combination of Canadian 2014 one-hit wonder Kiesza (yes, she’s trying to build on it) and 1980s band Duran Duran. It’s a great track, sounding both retro and modern, and even better on the remix by Louis Vivet which is the version that caught me the most. Really reignited my interest in all the artists involved. It definitely sounds like a soundtrack song too, they should license it.

Straight from the alt-electronica Majestic Casual stable, this one. Esther Sparkles (great name!), the vocalist, is a new name to me, but it’s just another charter for Paces, who’s previously appeared alongside Kucka and Chela. A little bit of research shows the Australian’s also produced remixes for, among others, Years and Years, and Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, who I’ve seen mentioned on here before.

Second Eurovision charter so far this year goes to Latvia’s Triana Park. Odds-wise, there’s already questions over whether this will make it to the main event through the semis (unlike Occidentali’s Karma above, which auto-Qs), but it’s one of the first entries to really gel with me. Line runs the line between electro and edgy, slightly rocky, a bit similar to Dragonette or the Veronicas.

Possibly Vera Blue’s first charting appearance. She’s one of a few acts I often get mixed up, along with Luna Blake, Luna Aura, Luna Shadows, and Verite. They fish in quite similar pools. This one’s a bit more active and upbeat, striking, than the usual thoughtful indie tracks the group put out.

Airling’s debut solo charter after previously appearing on tracks by #1 Dads and Japanese Wallpaper. It’s pretty typical early indiegirl material, chilled out, with light indie-synth intstrumentation, probably falling somewhere under dream pop. It's cute.

This is Zhu’s first charter for a while. The media-shy producer recently collaborated with AlunaGeorge and usually features guest singers on his tracks that chart for me, but this one’s a rare solo credit. It's pretty similar to something the Chemical Brothers would put out.

And that’s (finally!) the week! Please comment if you have thoughts! Comments make me smile! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:11 PM