BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
68 Pages V  « < 65 66 67 68 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> King Rollo's Top 1000 Songs Of All Time, Completed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post Dec 6 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #1321
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
No problem,Pete. Thanks for the comments.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 6 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #1322
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
16. I'm Not In Love - 10cc (1975)

I keep your picture upon the wall
It hides a nasty stain that's lying there
So don't you ask me to give it back
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me

10cc's masterpiece that almost didn't happen. Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman wrote it and recorded it as a bossa nova song but it was rejected by Godley & Creme and the tape was erased. After members of their staff continued to sing the melody as they were walking around the studio,the group went back to it with Kevin Godley suggesting they record it with voices instead of musical instruments. It took them three weeks to record all the voices using quite a complicated tape loop process but the results were breathtaking at the time and still sound wonderful now. The "be quiet,big boys don't cry" bit was added at the last minute with their secretary being persuaded to speak it after they decided that her voice would be perfect.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 7 2018, 07:52 PM
Post #1323
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
15. Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea - Genesis (1983)

Shadows but no substance,in the shape of men
Round and down and sideways they go
Adrift without direction,eyes that hold despair
Then as one they sigh and they moan

Taken from Genesis' eponymous twelfth album,this is a tale of a burglar who breaks into a house only to find that it's haunted by ghosts who don't allow him to leave. It's another song I could have entered into the Halloween spinoff but I didn't think an eleven minute song sung by Phil Collins would go down very well. The second half is mainly instrumental with the lead vocal coming back at the end. I love the combination of keyboards,guitars and drums here,commercial prog at its best.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 8 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #1324
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
14. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1975)

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch,Scaramouch,will you do the fandango
Thunderbolt and lightning,very very frightening me
Galileo Galileo Galileo Galileo Galileo Figaro

This shares much in common with 'I'm Not In Love'. They came out in the same year,they are roughly the same length and they both used up a lot of recording tape. As a 10 year old,I found both songs to be captivating. Written by Freddie Mercury,'Bohemian Rhapsody' seemed to be too long and barmy to be played on the radio but it took off after Kenny Everett played it 14 times in 2 days on his Capital Radio show. It's a song that people either love or hate and I still love it.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 9 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #1325
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
13. Sao Paulo - Guillemots (2006)

So hush the shadows in the oak tree
Be still the curlew on the moor
My heart has fallen by the wayside
I cannot claim her anymore

The fourteenth and final song by Guillemots on my chart. It's the sprawling twelve minute epic that closes their fantastic debut album 'Through The Windowpane'. I love the piano and orchestration on this and the double bass plays the notes you would normally expect to be played on the bass guitar. Fyfe Dangerfield puts in a great performance on vocals while at the end of the song,the orchestra are instructed to make as much noise as they can,it doesn't matter if it's in tune or not.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 10 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #1326
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Hi Rollo, pleased to see Innuendo in the 20, it's one I under-rated at the time but it has charms that came out in later years and is one of those tracks awaiting an excuse to re-enter my charts and get a decent chart run. Bo Rap OTOH I've just OD'ed on - bought it and loved it at the time, had a huge run on top, and again in 1991, adored the video, the ambition - but 44 years of non-stop play on radio, film, TV has just numbed me to it now. I know every single part of the track and need a break from it for a decade. No chance of that ever happening! It's also high in my all-time chart too, though, and Innuendo isn't in at all! laugh.gif

10CC oh what a classic that is! ELO oh what a classic that is too! Both in Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, which gave me a perfect excuse to have them top my charts again and climb higher in my top 850 listings. smile.gif

Frankie's a goodie too, I didn't know about Trevor's buddies having a hand but it makes sense - the decline in quality post-Horn was dramatic and sudden.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 10 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #1327
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Hi John,thanks for commenting. Yes,I also try and avoid hearing Bo Rap as much as I can so it doesn't lose its appeal. I don't listen to the radio much these days or watch films or the TV music channels so it's quite easy for me to avoid it.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 10 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #1328
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
12. Mama - Genesis (1983)

You're taking away my last chance
Don't take it away
Can't you feel my heart?

Just three places above 'Home By The Sea' is another track from the same album. It was the first single from it,giving Genesis what is still their highest singles chart placing of number 4. I like the tribal sounding drum machine rhythm that runs through the first half of the song. It's then replaced by Phil Collins' trademark gated drum sound for the second half. Phil's vocal is outstanding here. His sinister laughing was inspired by the Grandmaster Flash song 'The Message'. Some of the lyrics could be interpreted to be about abortion but the song is actually about a teenager's fixation with a prostitute.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 11 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #1329
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
11. Dr Mabuse (12 inch version) - Propaganda (1984)

He's devoted to the devil
Fascinated by crime
Glamorous death is his destination
Eternal passion his gain

Propaganda's debut single about the character from the Fritz Lang films which were based on the novels written by Norbert Jacques. I love Trevor Horn's big wall of sound production on this 12 inch single which is basically the 7 inch version with another five minutes of mainly instrumental added on. It was a pleasant surprise for me to see this finish as high as 5th when I entered it into the BJSC.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 12 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #1330
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Dr. Mabuse was a real discovery for me when you sent it to BJSC so thanks for introducing! Bohemian Rhapsody is of course a classic and one that's back in the charts now after the musical!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 12 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #1331
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
10. And I Will Kiss - Underworld featuring Dame Evelyn Glennie (2012)

The top 10 starts with the highest placed instrumental track. You will know it from the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games in London where it accompanied the Industrial Revolution section. It's a stunning epic piece of music with so much going on during its 17 minute length. It features almost a thousand drummers led by Dame Evelyn Glennie who has been deaf since the age of 12,a brass band and a steel band. In total almost 1200 people contributed to the recording. I'm pleased to see that before I joined the forum,this was the winner of the BJSC instrumental spin-off.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Dec 12 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #1332
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Dr Mabuse is a great tune, the first half is epic then some great experimental beats then a nice ending tune!

'Mama' is a fantastic song!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 13 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #1333
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
9. Eldorado - Electric Light Orchestra (1974)

Take to the road
To the north there lies the chills of cold
To the south there lies the tales untold
But in between there lies the place to close your eyes

From the 'Eldorado' album,this was the song that started off the controversy about satanic messages that I've mentioned before when American Christian Fundamentalists claimed that the lyrics "here it comes,another lonely day,playing the game,I'll sail away,on a voyage of no return to see" when played backwards sound like "he is the nasty one,Christ you're infernal,it is said we're dead men,everyone who has the mark will live". I've just found a youtube clip that plays the lines backwards and while I can hear the resemblance,it's only because I'm already looking at those words. The whole thing is preposterous and I can see why Jeff Lynne made fun of it by including backward messages in subsequent albums. They must have been playing every pop record they could find backwards until they found one that fitted their agenda. Jeff puts in possibly his finest vocal performance here,especially on the final chorus and the choral/orchestral arrangement make the song sound as if was written for a 1930s Hollywood movie.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 13 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #1334
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Genesis is also in my listings, their finest moment for me, just spine-tingling, and Mabuse didn;t quite make my list but deserves to, epic and haunting, just like Mama. Eldorado I need to revisit properly, channeling John Lennon a bit there I think in places. Certainly filmic, yes!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 14 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #1335
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
8. Feel The Benefit - 10cc (1977)

If all the people in the world lost their reason
What would we see,where would we be?
If all the entertainers in the world lost their music
What would they play,what could they say?

Taken from 'Deceptive Bends',the first 10cc album to be released after the departure of Godley & Creme,this is the longest song that the group ever recorded,it's almost twelve minutes long. It's divided into three sections. The first one,'Reminisce and Speculate',has a beautiful string arrangement,a superb lead vocal from Eric Stewart and a Beatlesque sound to it,especially the part from 2.28 to 3.45. The second section 'A Latin Break' has a faster reggae beat to it which was a foretaste of their number 1 single 'Dreadlock Holiday' from their next album. The final section 'Feel The Benefit' reprises much of the music from the first one with the addition of a fantastic guitar solo towards the end layered over the orchestral parts. The song is rightly a fans' favourite and is still regularly performed along with the more well known hit singles by the version of 10cc that is still going today.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 15 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #1336
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
7. Lonely Soul - UNKLE (1998)

I'm gonna die in a place that don't know my name
I'm gonna die in a space that don't hold my fame

From UNKLE's debut album 'Psyence Fiction',this track features co-writer Richard Ashcroft on vocals. The lyrics and sound of the song are quite dark but there's a beauty to it as well. Most of the vocals are packed into the first four minutes with a trip hop drum sound and sinister sounding strings. This is followed by the quiet bit with various sound effects which leads into the classical sounding orchestral part. Then at 6.25,comes pure musical perfection when the drums and vocals come back in.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 16 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #1337
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
6. One Night Stand:The Long Night And The Samba (Ashley Beedle Remix) - The Aloof (1996)

Why am I lying here and what was her name?
I feel nothing at all,I feel no shame

So I'm driving my car and switch on the radio to Pete Tong's Friday evening Radio 1 show and I hear this for the first time and get blown away by it. He played all 14 minutes of it and I actually reached wherever I was going but I had to stay in the car till it finished to find out who it was. I wasn't the only one as he said people had been ringing in wanting to know the same thing. Once I knew it was The Aloof,I then had to wait another six weeks before it was released to buy it so I could hear it again. The shorter single version (just called 'One Night Stand') was played a few times on Radio 1 in the meantime and when it came out reached number 30 giving The Aloof their only top 40 hit. 'The Long Night And The Samba' is one of the extra tracks on the CD single. It's not really a remix,more of an extended version of the 7" single. The string parts are what makes this stand out,they were recorded at Abbey Road Studios. The track also features what sounds like bongo drums and maracas and also submarine sound effects. This is just the third song on my chart by The Aloof so they've done quite well to be as high as number 6.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 17 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #1338
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
If you have enjoyed reading this thread over the course of the year,please nominate it for Best Topic in the Buzzjack Awards. You don't have to nominate in all the other categories.

Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 17 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #1339
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
5. Untouchable - Anathema (2012)

I had to let you go
To the setting sun
I had to let you go
And find a way back home

I thought I had finalised my top 10 until I discovered this song around October of last year. I couldn't stop playing it and decided to enter it into BJSC100 in place of the 'Dr Mabuse' 12 inch version by Propaganda which I had planned to enter. It also pushes 'Dr Mabuse' out of my top 10 but at least Propaganda finshed 5th in the BJSC when I finally entered them this year. 'Untouchable' only finished 23rd. It still sounds wonderful a year later and I'm quite happy it's as high as number 5 above songs I've known a lot longer. Divided into two tracks on the 'Weather Systems' album,part 1 starts with acoustic guitars which are then augmented by a wall of electric guitars. Daniel Cavanagh's vocal gets more passionate as this part progresses. The song slows down and part 2 starts with a beautiful piano chord and Daniel's plaintive vocal. He is then joined by a female singer,Lee Douglas,who represents the other person in the song's lyrics. Her vocal is outstanding and adds so much to the song. The strings come in and there is a rousing climax.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Dec 18 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #1340
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
4. Driving The Last Spike - Genesis (1991)

We followed the rail,we slept under the stars
Digging in darkness,living with danger
Showing no fear of what lies up ahead
They'll never see the likes of us again

In the 19th Century,Britain's railways were built by mainly unskilled labourers called navvies whose working conditions were not very safe and many of them were killed,especially when constructing tunnels,something to think about the next time you go on a train journey. The lyrics to this song were written by Phil Collins and are from the viewpoint of one of these men who leaves his family behind to work on the railway. It's from the number 1 album 'We Can't Dance'. I always like a song that tells a story and Phil puts in a fantastic vocal here supported by the guitars,keyboards and his own drums.

+Quote this post

68 Pages V  « < 65 66 67 68 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:31 PM