BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Ranking the new series episodes, Worst to best, 108 stories... // back for a 2018 update
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Slick
post Apr 24 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #21
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
This is a good idea! I've tried to do a list like this so many times but it's so hard to compare episodes - there is so much variety across each season, let alone across the whole 9.

All episodes so far are understandably low, though I did quite like The Crimson Horror.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 24 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #22
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
1. Series 4 (10/Donna)
2. Series 3 (10/Martha)
3. Series 1 (9/Rose)
4. Series 2 (10/Rose)
5. Series 5 (11/Amy)
6. Series 9 (12/Clara)
7. Series 8 (12/Clara)
8. Series 7 (11/Amy/Rory + 11/Clara)
9. Series 6 (11/Amy/Rory)

Tennant > Eccleston > Smith > Capaldi (although Capaldi's material is better than Matt ever got)
Martha > Donna > Rose > Clara > Amy > Rory (Donna is quite close behind Martha for me these days I must say, and I don't dislike any of these at all)

I think it's quite clear that I prefer the Russell T. Davies era to the Steven Moffat days laugh.gif that'll definitely be reflected in the countdown too.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 24 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Sleep No More was definitely an odd one, I have to say laugh.gif

I remember The Crimson Horror now you've described it I did quite like that one (but definitely not a standout)

I don't remember Dinasours on a Spaceship whateveer heehee.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 24 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #24
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
oh mess I forgot Season 8 was Peter Capaldi, put that above Season 7 now (though basically the first 5 seasons >>>)

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 24 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
The only thing I'm certain of is that the season with Donna was the best one, I remember being incredibly sceptical about the whole thing and then found myself thinking wow at nearly every episode - it had everything from scary horror, ridiculous laughs, distinctive one off ideas and all topped off with a genuinely emotional ending.

As for the episodes featured so far, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is probably the worst episode of the lot for me. However THAT moment at the end of the Peter Kay one with the slab of pavement suggestion is by far and away the single worst thing out of any Who episode ever.

This post has been edited by dandy*: Apr 24 2017, 05:48 PM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 24 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #26
Group icon
The Donna series was the first one I ever watched - I wasyoung so don't remember much of it but hoping for my memories to be jogged!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Apr 24 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #27
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
The Ninth Doctor arc and anything with Arthur Darvill are my favorites *.*

the latter is one reason why I was so into Legends Of Tomorrow

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 24 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(danG @ Apr 24 2017, 05:40 PM) *
oh come on this thread is asking for it so let's get it out of the way
  1. Season 2 (David Tennant + Rose)
  2. Season 1 (Christopher Eccelston + Rose)
  3. Season 4 (David Tennant + Donna)
  4. Season 3 (David Tennant + Martha)
  5. Season 5 (Matt Smith + Amy)
  6. Season 6 (Matt Smith + Amy/Rory)
  7. Season 9 (Peter Capaldi + Clara)
  8. Season 8 (Peter Capaldi + Clara)
  9. Season 7 (Matt Smith + Amy/Rora / Clara)
Tennant > Eccelston > Capaldi > Smith
Rose > Donna > Martha > Amy > Clara

(yes I rank Matt/Amy above Capaldi/Clara, though I prefer Capaldi as the Doctor, Clara and the writing let it down)

WRONG!!!!

1. Rose/ Eccleston
2. Matt/ Amy/ Cory
3. Tennet/ Rose
4. Tennet and Donna
5. Matt/ Clara

6. Tennet/ Martha Jones SHIT!!!
7. Capaldi/ Clara SHIT!!!!!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 24 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Any list that has Martha higher than 2nd last is WRONG. Terrible.

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 24 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #30
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
but the Martha series has great episodes like the Human Nature 2-parter, Blink and the John Simm Master finale ;o

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 24 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #31
Group icon

104 In the Forest of the Night
Series 8, Episode 10
Doctor: Twelfth
Companion: Clara Oswald
Also starring: Danny Pink

The second Capaldi episode in a row now, with the lowest episode of his first series as the Doctor. In the Forest of the Night was the first Doctor Who episode penned by Frank Cottrell-Boyce, who also wrote Smile, which aired on the Saturday just gone. The episode sees Clara and Danny on a school trip with students at the London Zoological Museum, where they spent the night. They wake up to find London is covered in forest, and one of their students, Maebh, wanders off. She finds the Doctor, who has landed in Trafalgar Square. Clara later explains that Maebh has heard voices in her head ever since the disappearance of her sister Annabel. Maebh wanders off again, and when they find her safe, they are confronted by animals that have escaped from London Zoo. Maebh's medication wears off and the Doctor believes she's communicating with something. He activates a gravity field around Maebh and sees a number of glowing bug-like creatures that speak through her, and admit to growing the forest. As a solar flare is about to impact Earth, the Doctor gives Clara and Danny a choice - they can either stay behind, or take the students and leave with him to ensure their safety. They decide to stay behind, believing the trees will save them from the solar flare, although this is being hindered by the government's plan to remove the trees. With the help of the Doctor, Maebh reads a message composed by the students informing the government of the solar flare, and asks for her sister to return home. The trees later dissipate and the students return home, and Annabel returns home to be reunited with Maebh and her mum.

This episode has been called one of the all-time worst episodes by some Doctor Who fans and it's not particularly difficult to see why either. It feels a lot like a filler episode just before the all-important finale. The suggestion that humans will just "forget" about the trees before long feels silly too, alongside the escaped zoo animals. Ultimately it just doesn't do the trick, I don't hate it as much as many do but it's a long way from being a favourite.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 24 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #32
Group icon
QUOTE(Tippin Virginia @ Apr 24 2017, 07:02 PM) *
Any list that has Martha lower than 2nd best is WRONG. Amazing.

Fixed for you kink.gif

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 24 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #33
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Series 4 - I loved the dynamic of The Doctor and Donna and the final three episodes were incredible. Every episode was really enjoyable
Series 1 - again the dynamic between 9 and Rose was really nice, very matey. I loved all the episodes as well, it was a very consistent series!
Series 5 - the revamp felt very fresh and exciting
Series 3 - apart from Martha being too lovesick, the story arc was fantastic. Very well crafted!
Series 2 - I enjoyed 10 and Rose but it felt too involved in their dynamic this series
Series 9 - The writing for 12 was much better this series and the story arc in general was much better
Series 7 - a real mixed bag, some really fantastic episodes and some real duds
Series 6 - the writing back to complicated and self indulgent here, it put a damper on the show for me
Series 8 - it didn't work very well, the writing for 12 was quite appalling and Clara became too dominant

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 24 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Tbh I quite liked In the Forest of the Night. I think it was the fact that I despised Matt Smith with a passion, so anything that came after that was amazing laugh.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Apr 24 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Series 3-Martha wasn't the most amazing companion but this was the tightest series with inspired stories and genuine shocks.
Series 4-Tennant/Tate is my favourite pairing. Some amazing episodes.
Series 1-loved Eccleston as a Doctor. Amazing recvival.
Series 5-another tight series. Moffat tried something new for the finale and it worked.
Series 8-warmed to Clara more in this series
Series 2-like a lesser series 1.
Series 6-got a bit soap opera but it was great to see lots of River.
Series 7-Amy/Rory got boring and Clara's initial story was lame.
Series 9-hated Capaldi and Clara in this, they were so tiresome.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 24 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #36
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Quite the mammoth task you've got here, but I'm looking forward to it! (Martha will always be dull though x)

The Crimson Horror I didn't dislike but I barely remember it at all so not crying to see it out. The others were all awful, the preachy and dull Forest... and utterly pointless Love and Monsters in particular are dreadful.

QUOTE(Tippin Virginia @ Apr 24 2017, 05:12 PM) *
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship too. Doctor Who NEVER kills.

Yeah, this is why I utterly hate the episode. It's stupid enough as it is with dinosaurs, cartoony villains, robots on spaceships and all, but that was a majorly out of character moment for The Doctor which clearly showed the complete lack of authenticity and knowledge of the series that the script had at all. Let's hope the writer isn't let near another episode.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Apr 24 2017, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 24 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #37
Group icon
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Apr 24 2017, 07:36 PM) *
Quite the mammoth task you've got here, but I'm looking forward to it! (Martha will always be dull though x)

The Crimson Horror I didn't dislike but I barely remember it at all so not crying to see it out. The others were all awful, the preachy and dull Forest... and utterly pointless Love and Monsters in particular are dreadful.

Yeah, this is why I utterly hate the episode. It's stupid enough as it is with dinosaurs, cartoony villains, robots on spaceships and all, but that was a majorly out of character moment for The Doctor which clearly showed the complete lack of authenticity and knowledge of the series that the script had at all. Let's hope the writer isn't let near another episode.

Thanks Chez biggrin.gif and to everyone else for the great comments again, loving all the discussion so far!

Believe it or not, the writer of Dinosaurs is actually Chris Chibnall, the next showrunner mellow.gif laugh.gif (thankfully he's better episodes for both Doctor Who and Torchwood)

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 24 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(danG @ Apr 24 2017, 07:06 PM) *
but the Martha series has great episodes like the Human Nature 2-parter, Blink and the John Simm Master finale ;o

That John Simm shit was ATROCIOUS.

Martha literally is a blackhole of personality. You can observe the writers meant for her to have one by her presence on the show sucking all the fun out of it, but it is unobservable.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 24 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #39
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I've already said it to Joseph but I really like 'Sleep No More'. sad.gif I understand the hate, with the found footage, the monster winning and the Doctor basically just running away for like the first time ever BUT I thought the whole thing was creepy and atmospheric. I genuinely really liked the final few moments too in respect that YOU watching were now infected. I thought it was a really creepy angle, it is a shame that there will be no resolution really. I also love 'Kill the Moon' from Series 8 which is like universally hated as well haha. I wonder which Series 10 episode I'll love while everyone hates!

'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' is such a random episode. Definitely overcrowded, still don't see why they added those two extra side characters whilst the robots REALLY didn't work. They were just Mitchell and Webb...as robots.

'In the Forest of the Night' is probs my least favourite episode lmao. There's like no plot, no threat and no purpoae to any of the characters. The trees just go anyway and they leave the place immaculate :')

Where is 'The Rings of Akhatan' tho? unsure.gif

-x-

omg I can never do the series ranks. Possibly: 4 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 6 > 9 > 7

Series 2 is literally when I became OBSESSED with the show, even though I saw Series 1 when it came out, so that always will have that special connection for me. Series 4 just benefits from not having a weak episode really, maybe 'The Doctor's Daughter' but that still has some interesting elements where as Series 2 of course has Love & Monsters and Fear Her. The Slitheen kind of cast a negative shadow over Series 1 for me now, they definitely feel more like SJA villains now haha, I do still like the political aspect of the two-parter though.

Series 7 & 9 are quite similar for me in that they have some really strong highs (mainly in the first half for Series 7) but also some really low lows. I never got into the character of Me as much as they wanted me to and Clara's run of episodes in Series 7 is the worst the show has seen since its inception.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 24 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(JosephStyles🐶 @ Apr 24 2017, 07:40 PM) *
Thanks Chez biggrin.gif and to everyone else for the great comments again, loving all the discussion so far!

Believe it or not, the writer of Dinosaurs is actually Chris Chibnall, the next showrunner mellow.gif laugh.gif (thankfully he's better episodes for both Doctor Who and Torchwood)

Oh no mellow.gif mellow.gif

+Quote this post

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:56 AM