BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
34 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Ranking the new series episodes, Worst to best, 108 stories... // back for a 2018 update
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post 22nd June 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #641
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Heaven Sent and The Army Of Ghosts/Doomsday 2 parter are both brilliant episodes.

"Get out of my pub, ghost!" was a pretty hilarious moments and I loved the battle between the Daleks and the Cybermen

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd June 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #642
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Right winner out of the top 2, Stolen Earth felt like a real moment, as much as I like to think of it as overdoing it, it brought up almost all of the loose ends from the first 4 series and had a wild ride of an adventure that got to use so many characters well, I did find it really enjoyable watching it, the groupings of all the characters, a TV show can always do well when it has lots of characters to draw upon. Army Of Ghosts was good too but not quite as, though it was tense I wasn't so invested in many of the characters at that point.

Thank you for running this Joseph, it's been lovely to see a TV countdown thread so well read and commented, given me quite a bit of nostalgia and your commentaries have been outstanding to read, thanks very much for putting in all of that glorious effort *.*

+Quote this post
777666jason
post 23rd June 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #643
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,687

Only 3 episodes left of moffat who I don't know if he can come close to that series 4 finale but i hope he can come close yes I know RTD had the specials afterwards

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #644
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Great countdown, I really need to rewatch the S2 and S4 finales because I remember them both being amazing, not surprised they're so high on the list.

Think I may have put Doomsday ontop but it has been literally years since I've watched them.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 24th June 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #645
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

The right end given the remaining options, I don't think I've ever been so sad at an ending as when Donna had her mind wiped. She'll never remember that she featured so prominently on this countdown. sad.gif

This has been such an enjoyable read Joseph, I've only commented a few times but I've followed the whole thing - my favourite Buzzjack thread in ages. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th June 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #646
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

NO

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th June 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #647
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jun 24 2017, 09:48 PM) *
The right end given the remaining options, I don't think I've ever been so sad at an ending as when Donna had her mind wiped. She'll never remember that she featured so prominently on this countdown. sad.gif

This has been such an enjoyable read Joseph, I've only commented a few times but I've followed the whole thing - my favourite Buzzjack thread in ages. wub.gif

The bit in bold is really lovely to read, thank you so much for the kind words D*, and everyone else for that matter. It's been so much fun geeking out over my absolute favourite TV show and reliving so many great memories!

+Quote this post
Slick
post 2nd July 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #648
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

Thank you Joseph for a very enjoyable and nostalgic thread. It's made me want to rewatch the series from the beginning!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd July 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #649
Group icon

QUOTE(Slick @ Jul 2 2017, 10:29 PM) *
Thank you Joseph for a very enjoyable and nostalgic thread. It's made me want to rewatch the series from the beginning!

No problem, I am really glad you've enjoyed! I've actually started doing exactly that, I'm watching an episode a day right now, today's episode was The Long Game. So many amazing memories with these early episodes!

+Quote this post
Slick
post 2nd July 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #650
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 2 2017, 10:31 PM) *
No problem, I am really glad you've enjoyed! I've actually started doing exactly that, I'm watching an episode a day right now, today's episode was The Long Game. So many amazing memories with these early episodes!

I've decided to rewatch the finale episodes from each series - I don't know if I can start all over again!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 2nd July 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #651
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

The last two episode right ups were amazingly done and great to read. I love the top two episodes both very thrilling and great to watch heart.gif Not much else to say that you have not said but also the scene where Donna (or Doctor Donna) saves the day is so much fun and great to watch heart.gif

Great work one of the best threads I have seen on this site heart.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th February 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #652
Group icon

*dusts thread off*

hi.gif guys

I'm currently in the process of rewatching series 10 for the first time, since I got it on DVD at Christmas. I'm hoping to give my ranking an update this year now we're at the end of both the Capaldi and Moffat eras! I won't be counting down the list from scratch again, but I'll be slotting in the new episodes where I feel they fit and posting a commentary on each one, and maybe reshuffling other older episodes within the list too.

The episodes we'll be adding this year:

The Pilot
Smile
Thin Ice
Knock Knock
Oxygen
Extremis
The Pyramid at the End of the World
The Lie of the Land
Empress of Mars
The Eaters of Light
World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls
Twice Upon a Time

I hope you'll all be joining me once again! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 12th February 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #653
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I too am currently rewatching for the first time, I actually now have a greater appreciation for Knock Knock (possibly helped by watching with the binaural thing on)! The ending is still weak but I enjoyed the rest of it!

The Return of Doctor Mysterio was still a bit all over the place and uneventful.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 12th February 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #654
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I should probabalt rewatch the latest series, I can barely remember anything that happened tongue.gif The ending & the disappointing Zygon episode are memorable but not so much the others for me rn

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 18th February 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #655
Group icon

Right then, let's have a look at my revised list...

111 99 The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
112 100 Hide
113 104 In the Forest of the Night
114 101 The Woman Who Lived
115 107 The Crimson Horror
116 102 The Rings of Akhaten
117 103 Nightmare in Silver
118 105 Sleep No More
119 106 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
120 108 Love and Monsters

We've got a total of 120 episodes this time, with 12 new additions, meaning that Love and Monsters remains in last place. There's a little bit of a reshuffle at the bottom, as Dinosaurs on a Spaceship becomes the lowest episode from the now-complete Moffat era, and The Crimson Horror jumps up a bit as I realise I was quite harsh before. Series 7 still sees a culling in the bottom 10 though, it loses a whopping five episodes! None of the newies have appeared just yet...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th February 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #656
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I SWEAR IF THAT DEVIL EPISODE ISN'T MOVED ALL THE WAY DOWN I WILL SKALP

KNOCK KNOCK AND EATERS OF LIGHT STILL IN?!

AMMA BOUT TO SKALP

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 18th February 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #657
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Devil episode is a classic tho, as discussed.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st February 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #658
Group icon

101 NE The Eaters of Light
102 92 Robot of Sherwood
103 NE The Lie of the Land
104 91 The Doctor’s Wife
105 93 The Snowmen
106 94 Let’s Kill Hitler
107 95 Fear Her
108 96 42
109 97 Kill the Moon
110 98 The Girl Who Died

Scroll down for commentary on the new series 10 episodes! Otherwise in this section, there's little change but I've swapped Robot of Sherwood and The Doctor's Wife. Despite the latter being a fan favourite, I just cannot get into it much and whilst I'll always appreciate Doctor Who for trying new things, this one just didn't work for me. At least Robot of Sherwood gave me a few smiles.

103 The Lie of the Land
Series 10, Episode 8
Doctor: Twelfth
Companion: Bill Potts, Nardole

Finishing in last place out of the new episodes is the third episode within the loosely-connected Monk trilogy. The Lie of the Land sees Bill reunite with Nardole as they track the Doctor down in a world that has been taken over by the Monks. Despite only being there six months, the Monks have brainwashed the world to believe they have been instrumental in the evolution of humanity. Nardole helps Bill arrive at the ship where the Doctor is supposedly working for the Monks. Despite their success in making it on board, there were a few close calls for them both. When they arrive, the Doctor reveals it was all an elaborate plan, even after faking a regeneration. The Doctor and Bill visit Missy, who advises him to kill whoever the source of the issue is - of course, that's Bill herself. Alongside the troops the Doctor has gathered, the TARDIS team make their way back into the Monks' pyramid, and through the strength of her mum, Bill saves the day by correcting the course of human history.

As you'll find out later, I rather enjoyed the first two Monk episodes (to varying degrees), but this one falls short of the mark. Perhaps I'm being harsh in saying it's the worst of the series, but it's undoubtedly the most disappointing. Until Bill arrives with the Doctor, it's a solid episode with some interesting concepts presenting themselves. Missy is superb as always too, Michelle Gomez is forever captivating. However, it collapses at the fake-out regeneration. It's a ridiculous idea, I don't believe Bill would ever have shot the Doctor and I think it was a total waste of time. Ultimately it came across as little more than a publicity stunt. The resolution to the Monks felt underwhelming too, I found it cute when the Doctor gave Bill some photos of her mum in The Pilot but I don't think it was followed up too well in this episode. Ultimately, the concept was big and interesting but the execution was beyond messy.

101 The Eaters of Light
Series 10, Episode 10

When the Doctor, Bill and Nardole arrive in 2nd Century Scotland, they part ways to prove each other wrong. The Doctor and Nardole head off to look for the dead bodies of the Ninth Legion of the Imperial Roman army, while Bill is adamant they're alive. Bill ends up cornered by a creature, described as a "light eating locust", and shelters with, luckily, soldiers of the Ninth Legion. The Doctor and Nardole meanwhile meet the locals - a Pict tribe, guarding a mysterious gate within a cave. Once a generation, a soldier goes through the portal to keep any creatures at bay. The Doctor explores, and while he's inside for a matter of seconds, days have passed outside. As Bill and the soldiers escape, both the Romans and the Pict tribe learn to put their differences aside and together they manage to trap the creature back through the portal in which it came from. Both sides enter the portal, much to the Doctor's annoyance, to keep the creature away from humanity forever.

A cute episode before the finale, the strength of this story lies mainly within the core cast. Bill and Nardole prove themselves as brilliant additions to the TARDIS team for different reasons. Nardole is excellent comic relief throughout the episode thanks to Matt Lucas' great comic timing, and Bill's conversations with the Ninth Legion are lovely moments in the calm before the storm of the finale. The plot isn't massively exciting and that's why this episode's relatively low, but it's pretty cute all round.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #659
Group icon

91 81 Night Terrors
92 82 A Good Man Goes to War
93 83 Cold War
94 85 Into the Dalek
95 NE Empress of Mars
96 86 A Christmas Carol
97 87 Victory of the Daleks
98 88 The Return of Doctor Mysterio
99 89 The Name of the Doctor
100 90 The Curse of the Black Spot

Little movement going on here, with episodes mostly being shunted down 9 or 10 places (although one episode has vacated this group and has jumped up!). New episode Empress of Mars lands midtable...

95 Empress of Mars
Series 10, Episode 9

Another series 10 episode drops out, only just in the top 100. Empress of Mars is one that suffered from a rewatch actually. After the Doctor sees the words "God Save The Queen" written on the surface of Mars, he investigates and finds a colony of Victorian soldiers, who have befriended an Ice Warrior named Friday, who they rescued from a crashed spaceship on Earth and in return, Friday helped the soldiers travel to Mars to mine the planet. The Doctor realises Friday is using them to access his species' hive, and sure enough, the tomb of the Ice Empress is uncovered. Selfish soldiers attempting to steal the gemstones leads to Iraxxa, the Ice Empress, being revived and declaring war on the humans. The Doctor and Bill befriend Despite Colonel Godsacre, who is overthrown by Captain Catchlove. With Friday's help, the Doctor breaks free of captivity and Godsacre sacrifices himself so that the war could end. Iraxxa spares him on the basis that he and the other soldiers pledge themselves to the Ice Warriors.

For such a standalone episode with little ties to the rest of the series in its main plot, Empress of Mars is actually quite confusing. Having seen it twice, I still had to read the Wikipedia article to gain an understanding of exactly what was going on in certain parts. Credit to Iraxxa, who I find quite interesting as the Ice Empress, and I enjoy her asking Bill, the only woman present, for her opinion. The way the Ice Warriors kill people is brilliantly brutal too. However, I find the soldiers quite clichéd and the plot just falls flat in the end. Whilst it was decent on first listen, it didn't keep my attention as much on a rewatch and it's ended up lower than it otherwise would have. Shoutout to the surprise cameo of Alpha Centauri though - a real Easter egg for classic Who fans!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd March 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #660
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

PLOT?! WHAT PLOT!

It literally doesn't even make sense!

At all!!