BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
48 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Two
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
richie
post Jun 6 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
A disappointing number of repeats from recent shows - even Tubeway Army - and not really much else. Those Legs & Co routines are getting worse with every week. Not long until they're amputated for good...

I didn't realise it was the John Williams version of Cavatina at the end - got so used to hearing the Shadows.

At least it won't be long until the great Patrick Hernandez is on the programme.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 19 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
So, a choice this evening between TOTP and the build up to the England game. The latter is on ITV so it’s a simple choice. Time for the (almost) weekly dose of nostalgia.

Ooh, a new BBC Music graphic before the Sex Pistols version of C’mon Everybody over the chart.

Another showing for Squeeze gets things properly underway. They really were rather good for a time.

On to Lene Lovich. I still think Money was her finest hour.

Someone called Thom Pace now. Who? Apparently this got to number 14 but I have no memory of it at all.

Quantum Jump are back. Yes, another airing for taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, the longest word in a chart hit. Unless anyone knows better. Apparently it is the name of a hill. Blimey, how long are the names for mountains?

Yet another repeat now with Janet Kay and that high note. All over the country expensive glassware is now lying shattered on the floor.

I do believe this Thin Lizzy song is the first one not to have been on a previous show.

UK Subs flying the flag for punk. If you can fly a flag on a sub. And the BBC demonstrate their latest effects gadget.

Gerry Rafferty next with a top ten hit not called Baker Street. The second singer tonight no longer with us.

Tubeway Army at number one! It was a fairly big surprise when this got anywhere at all but for it to go all the way to the top was a massive - and very pleasant - surprise. Wonderful stuff.

Slick over the closing titles. TIme to turn over for the footie. Fingers crossed.

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post Jun 19 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629
Funny they were still doing Top 30, more than 6 months after the main Sunday Chart on Radio 1 started doing Top 40.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post Jun 20 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232
quite good this week especially Squeeze, Gerry Rafferty & Gary Numan

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 26 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We interrupt the World Cup for another edition of Top of the Pops. We’ve skipped a week because of a Jimmy Savile programme so there may be a few repeats from last week.

Slick over the chart before an immediate improvement with Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Oh gawd, we’ve got this Thom Pace thing again. It sounds even more boring than it did last week. Twitter suggests he looks like Peter Kay with a bad beard.

The Beach Boys with a rather different sound for them with a bit of Bach to boot.

A very young looking Sting from his Police days. I think you need to improve your miming Gordon.

Rickie Lee Jones. Oh dear. Capital played this to death at the time so I got rather bored with it. I’m now being reminded why.

Public Image Limited with a song that isn’t Rise. That means it isn’t very good.

We’ve been spared Janet Kay this week so the glassware is safe - until the full-length repeat of course.

On to Supertramp. Still don’t like them. Sorry.

Chantal Curtis in this week’s “Who?” slot. Apparently it got to number 51. She also fills this week’s “Why?” slot.

Anyway, on to Judie Tzuke with her one and only hit. Now I know what inspired Luis Suarez’s teeth.

And a third week for Tubeway Army at number one so that’s something to celebrate.

Donna Summer over the credits. This is no I Feel Love.

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post Jun 26 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629
Interesting for me Siouxsie Soux grew up in Chislehurst, very near I did in Orpington, she was actually born in Guys Hospital, London.

Judie Tzuke's Daughter (Bailey Tzuke) did the song by Freemasons - Uninvited, back in 2007.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 26 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Time for me to stick up for the gals - Rickie was smooth jazz, judy haunting, and Donna was a bad girl, beep beep. All were great singles!

Slick was fab disco, loved it still do, Siouxsie's was probably her worst ever single, PIL's was excruciating at the time to listen to. 35 years on, it's reassuring to know that with the passage of time - it's still excruciating!

Police, on the way to pop superstardom with a fantastic pop record, I played most days for a few weeks (along with Tubeway Army and The Beach Boys).

Thom Pace, I concede, was dreadful then and dreadful now. I prefer "Insipid" though, as description. Supertramp, jolly ragtime rock, it was OK. I don't remember Chantal Curtis at all! Yes it's that forgettable. I wonder if I charted it.... Answers in about 2 weeks when I dig out my charts laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 26 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'll give you one out of three for your first sentence. The Judie Tzuke song was very good. I loved the production at the time and it still sounds good. The other two, no but each to his own.

+Quote this post
richie
post Jun 27 2014, 06:54 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 26 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Public Image Limited with a song that isn’t Rise. That means it isn’t very good.

????

Death Disco is blimmin' marvellous! Much better than Rise.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Jun 27 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(richie @ Jun 27 2014, 07:54 AM) *
????

Death Disco is blimmin' marvellous! Much better than Rise.

Both me and the wife looked at each other when it was on. Just awful, couldn't tell a word he was singing. rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 27 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
it's harrowing. i know it's supposed to be (about his mother's death, I think i read once) and that's why I find it unlistenable, I prefer the more influential or rivetting Public Image, or some of the poppier later singles.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post Jun 27 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232
enjoyable show this week. I went out of the room during John Lydons screeching rant.

Well done to Smiffj who answered this week pop quiz question before I asked it smile.gif

This post has been edited by fiesta: Jun 27 2014, 12:24 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 3 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Here we go then with the Pistols over the chart. This seems to be a regular thing.

That wasn’t the real thing (Eddie Cochran having been unable to perform for 19 years by the time this was shown) but we now get The real Thing. Unfortunately.

Donna Summer with the usual weirdness from Legs & Co and a dog. No doubt somebody thought it was a good idea at the time.

Darts next. Still missing Den Hegarty (sob) but this is one of their better post-Den singles.

UK Subs on again. They thought about sending someone else to take their place.

The excellent Pretenders - yeah!!! Doesn’t Chrissie Hynde look young? And why didn’t The Pretenders follow The Real Thing? They missed a trick there.

Some soft rock from The Knack.

Oh dear, it’s The Dooleys. Aaargh, I’m starting to remember this execrable rubbish now. I had successfully forgotten its existence until this unwanted reminder. Please make it stop.

The BBC can never be forgiven for editing out Sparks and inflicting The Dooleys on us.

And so now we get The Korgis. More dogs albeit with poor spelling. Then again, did you ever meet a dog that could spell?

Another appearance for Abba showing they know two words of French.

A fourth week at the top for Tubeway Army. Who would have thought it?

Chic over the closing credits. Not such good times.

+Quote this post
richie
post Jul 4 2014, 06:52 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
Is Patrick Hernandez in the top 30 rundown yet? I do hope he's not cut due to a Savile / Travis episode.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 4 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'm in Spain, so missed this till I get home. The run-down sounds classic, love 'em all except for the UKSubs. Oikrock nursery rhymes, I always thought. Sorry lads.

Patrick? Borrrrrrn. Born. Born. Born t be aliiiiiiive. Hope it's not missing it's one of the fun eurodisco summer hits!

+Quote this post
richie
post Jul 4 2014, 10:46 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jul 4 2014, 10:18 AM) *
Patrick? Borrrrrrn. Born. Born. Born t be aliiiiiiive. Hope it's not missing it's one of the fun eurodisco summer hits!

Don't forget the weird gig-gig-giggity-gig-gig backing vocals.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 10 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We’ve skipped another week so we are already into August. Not a great start with The Dooleys over the chart.

A typical TOTP contrast as Sham 69 are the first proper act. Hersham Boys was to be their last top ten (and indeed top 40) hit.

On to the “don’t remember this at all” slot with the Olympic Runners. With luck I will have forgotten its existence again by the end of the evening and will never be reminded again (apart from when I watch the full-length version, probably in a few weeks’ time - at least then I will be able to skip it).

The Korgis next. The first of the repeats from last week.

Another repeat now with Abba.

Ah, it’s good old BA Robertson. Bang Bang indeed. Lots of people thought this was rubbish but I rather liked its quirkiness.

Legs & Co doing their thang to Earth Wind & Fire. Not sure what the surf boards are for. Maybe they were expecting the Beach Boys.

Back to quirkiness now with the quirkiest of quirks. It’s the Sparks show! Brilliant of course. Maybe they’ve sacked the idiot who cut this last week. Russ Mael has since changed his name to Joachim Löw and is now managing the German football team very successfully. Sorry to any Brazilians.

The Specials making their TOTP debut and still sounding damned good.

Now these Gibson Brothers outfits just defy description. Some iamspamspamamisomewhere is wondering where all their cheap bacofoil went.

We missed the first week at number one for I Don’t Like Mondays last week but at least we get it this week. Geldof’s finest hour.

Only TOTP could follow a song about a murder with a song called Born To Be Alive as we get a brief snatch of Patrick Hernandez. There's your answer Richie.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 10 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
again, classics all to me, bar Sham 69 (dross) and Olympic Runners (OK). Never try and use the word that begins with k that you will always find me in, in parties, it seems to just produce spam, I have found on buzzjack, for some inexplicable reason...

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 10 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jul 10 2014, 08:58 PM) *
again, classics all to me, bar Sham 69 (dross) and Olympic Runners (OK). Never try and use the word that begins with k that you will always find me in, in parties, it seems to just produce spam, I have found on buzzjack, for some inexplicable reason...

That word is changed automatically because of the amount of spam we often get from people trying to sell new k-you-know-whats.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 10 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jul 10 2014, 09:18 PM) *
That word is changed automatically because of the amount of spam we often get from people trying to sell new k-you-know-whats.

Ah. thats going to cause my May June 1980 charts a problem to resolve laugh.gif

+Quote this post

48 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:57 PM