BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's EOY ● 2023, 100-1 complete! full list: page 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post 14th January 2024, 02:55 PM
Post #81
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Glad that you like "One Of Your Girls" reaching the top 20 of the year for you!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 03:48 PM
Post #82
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 14 2024, 01:10 PM) *
2 songs that I'd not heard in full yet from this section (hoping I will have already heard all of the top 10 but we'll see!) - both tracks that I had a good idea would be good based on your recap clips and the artists involved and indeed both not letting me down, those being SWIM (yass more melancholy bangers inject these into my veins x) and the always amazing Daniel Avery, bonus points to the latter for having a whole amazing jungle switchup on the back end which wasn't spoiled by that recap clip *.*

After being more critical than I'd like to have been about some of Overmono's other songs on the list let me gush about 'Blow Out' which is definitely my favourite song to date from them (so yay for it also being their highest here!), really perfecting their formula imo with their stickiest vocal sample yet and effortlessly somehow incorporating both some of their grimiest and hardest sounding production with some of their most serene and beautiful wub.gif My other big faves from this section are the two gothy song contest faves who I'm very happy to see continuing to get hits in your chart, especially House Of Harm ofc since they are a proud alumnus of Persephonia, 'Roseglass' is another masterpiece of The Cure worship from them. And then I definitely appreciated the switchup to a more dancefloor ready sound from Vandal Moon on 'Heroine Dancer', yass them serving more tunes this year after their excellent 2022, although they do seem to have gone a little quiet again now without sign of a new full album just yet, hopefully 2024! Both of these bands need to escape obscurity ASAP pls xx

The Jessica Winter track as I alluded to earlier is an absolute bop music.gif I knew I recognised the name Jonathan Snipes when I first saw it but took me Googling it to remind myself he was from clipping., this one is quite a departure from the sound he curated for them but we stan the versatility! And 'The Deal' is another great pick from the Mitski album, builds to an almost Chelsea Wolfe esque level of intensity *.* 'Echolalia' is one I actually underrated a fair bit when it first came out (not that I disliked it but it didn't immediately stand out to me nearly as much as the other singles from Yves' album) but it's sounding a lot better to me now! And 'Out There' is, as with all things yunè pinku, another goodun, Cameo Blush are definitely a name I need to look out for in the future as well based on the couple of songs you've charted from them.

Obviously you know my thoughts on the Troye song, we're all allowed one miss ph34r.gif sorry, I tried to like it xx

Soooo glad that you enjoyed both the SWIM and Daniel Avery songs! I had a good feeling about the latter, due to Daniel being a good friend of your playlists/charts too, but you never know.

I agree that 'Blow Out' is incredibly sticky, relentlessly so *.* glad you've been on board with that one to such an extent. I'd definitely recommend checking out Good Lies as part of an eventual album catch-up even if that song isn't part of it! I am eternally grateful that your nation introduced me to House of Harm! 'Feel My Heart Beat' and now 'Roseglass' have been two particularly special post-contest songs from them. I'm unsure if Vandal Moon are capable of putting a foot wrong tbh. Oh yes, this is a good point though, where are they thinking.gif hopefully more to come soon!

music.gif yes I was really shocked by the revelation that he was from clipping. based on the (amazing!) stuff I knew by them as well, what an unexpected but fab team-up. Oh yes, I see what you mean with the Mitski/Chelsea comparison, that ending is just wild in the best way <3 ooooh happy to hear that 'Echolalia' has grown on you further now, more good news on top of you making a good discovery out of 'Lovely Sewer' in this countdown. Cameo Blush definitely seems promising so far, agreed! I think I only know three songs but all good'uns.

Lol, indeed kink.gif no worries, it was a tall order as soon as the 'Nightcall' comparisons started coming in laugh.gif

thank you Brer for the comment *.*

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 14 2024, 02:55 PM) *
Glad that you like "One Of Your Girls" reaching the top 20 of the year for you!

cheer.gif a good result for Troye especially considering it was released quite late in the year.

Thanks Sergej happy.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 03:50 PM
Post #83
Group icon

TOP 100 SONGS: 10-01

10. Vandal Moon - Satellite | 440 points
09. bar italia - Nurse! | 451 points
08. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? | 452 points
07. Temples - Meet Your Maker | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 15)
06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16)
05. Confidence Man x Daniel Avery - On & On (Again) | 478 points
04. Men I Trust - Ring of Past | 556 points
03. Lana Del Rey - A&W | 578 points
02. Temples - Cicada | 633 points
01. Heartworms - Retributions Of An Awful Life | 896 points winner.gif

Vandal Moon are the only act who can boast a top 10 position in both my 2022 and 2023 EOY countdowns, so being prolific paid off. 'Satellite' feels like a punchier cousin to 'Heroine Dancer' this era, with it clocking in at less than half the run-time of that. I'd say the throwback sound this time shifts more to the 90s, with an incredible industrial feel. Vandal Moon slap the listener around the face immediately with a harsh synth-punk execution. They keep up this exciting energy for most of the run-time, save for a short cool down to maximise the effect of the drop. Their lyricism slips into intense fantasy as usual with the opening words stating: "Satellite, you control me just like a dream would". Once again Blake Voss has one of the most commanding vocal styles around. I'd say his delivery here is less gloomy than in 'Heroine Dancer' as it suits this track better. I also enjoy the raw visuals that even include a couple of swift appearances of a grey cat, the way to my heart. bar italia, a three-piece band who recently signed with label Matador, were brand new to me in 2023 thanks to 'Nurse!' being playlisted by 6Music. I was intrigued by this song and it quickly scraped into my chart. However, this was only scratching the surface and in time it blossomed into a multi-week number one. 'Nurse!' appears to be a good entry point into the group as all three members have a share of the vocals. Nina Cristante starts proceedings with an unorthodox, detached but charming vocal style that reeled me in, alongside equally peculiar yet dreamy sounding guitar choices. I quickly fell for their lo-fi pop meets art rock style. The baton then passes over to fellow band members Sam Fenton and Jezmi Tarik Fehmi, who keep up the good work. The former takes on the chorus in a low-key yet seductive way as he details a thrilling moment in time with a partner. The lyrics: "You said, "I'm coming alive", haven't felt this way since you were twenty-one" ignite a particular euphoric feeling within me. Fehmi then moves the track to a more intense place for the climax, with an angsty delivery of "I can't leave it alone and get you out of my head" on top of a layered, noisy backing. It's amazing that a song that is so laidback for the most part conveys so much feeling but these guys just have a certain magic about them. The video is simple but effective too as they watch the world go by together. 'What Was I Made For?' by Billie Eilish has the honour of being the only song in my top 10 that I own on cassette. She sold this format for a generous 99p in a bid to achieve a U.K. #1 single and indeed made it happen, another soundtrack chart-topper following 2020's 'No Time To Die'. I thought emotive piano ballad 'What Was I Made For?' was beautiful from day one but appreciated it even more after its impact within the Barbie movie. The story arc for 'stereotypical' Barbie reaches a point where she feels disillusioned by the world and her purpose in it as a woman. She meets the creator of the dolls who tells her to close her eyes and just... feel, this is enough. A montage of feminine euphoria then ensues, set to this beautiful song, which later inspires her to take control of her own life. The emotional weight of it all hits hard, with the existential song itself encapsulating Barbie's spiritual journey and Billie's own struggles with finding a purpose. Her angelic vocals have never sounded better in such a stripped back form. The video is also memorable as well, as she is dolled up like a Barbie and chooses miniature outfits, but is hit by unpleasant weather phenomena throughout. This song was a wonderful contrast to the otherwise mostly upbeat soundtrack that feels more akin to the colourful, fun world of Barbie. I first discovered the band Temples through BJSC but their latest album, Exotico, was the first record of theirs that I checked out in full. It is a concept album about a mythical island which was perfect escapism to accompany my holiday earlier this year. 'Meet Your Maker', which places at #7 in the countdown, was an immediate album track highlight and multi-week #1 in my chart. It feels clearly influenced by Egyptology with lyrics such as "Dancing closer to the fire, water higher than the Nile" plus production with an Eastern flair. The execution is magnificent throughout, with the instrumentation providing a psychedelic edge and the vocals sounding urgent, riding the melodies of the production effectively. It is a dark, exciting moment on the album that I wish would get a single push. Peggy Gou achieving a commercial break-through was certainly not on my 2023 bingo card, but loved to see it. The stunning 'I Go' was a top 3 hit in my chart a few years ago and she finally got that #1 with '(It Goes Like) Nanana', a fabulous introductory track for a wider audience. She managed to peak at #5 in the U.K. chart with an impressive long run to boot. While 'What Was I Made For?' may be the only song in my top ten that I have on cassette, it is Peggy who receives the accolade of sole vinyl single that I own from this upper echelon. '(It Goes Like) Nanana' was the dance anthem of the summer. It transports the listener back to the 90s with its Eurodance sound which feels very reminiscent of ATB. The feel-good lyrics are extremely catchy and Peggy makes them feel hypnotic with her vocal delivery. The sun-kissed rave chords, drums and synths matched with a beachy video (albeit, one that was released in late September) shall provide the soundtrack of many warm days to come.

Daniel Avery achieved the highest placement in this countdown for a song that didn't make #1 in my weekly chart, with 'Going So Low'. However, he didn't have to wait much longer for a chart topper, as 'On & On (Again)' alongside Confidence Man did go all the way; now it kicks off the top 5 of my 2023 EOY list. This collaboration has come a long way in my affections, as I originally snubbed it in the relevant Electronic Track of the Week poll in favour of a Four Tet song that didn't even make it to my top 100 in the end. The power of a grower! I am a fan of both acts individually but didn't know how much I needed Confidence Man and Daniel Avery on a song together until now. The former bring their charismatic brand of electro-pop to the table with more of a club-ready feel than previous material that I am familiar with. Daniel Avery provides stomping progressive house beats to rave the night away to. There is a touch of unsettling ambience during the verses but such a fun, banging chorus - nicely complimenting real, multi-faceted lines such as "I don't know anything but the way I feel", a sentiment both anxiety-inducing but self-assured. Of course, the repetition of the titular lyric is ridiculously catchy. This is a perfect blend of styles that feels pretty timeless. There is a huge jump in points for #4 song 'Ring of Past' by Men I Trust, now into the 500s. This is another subtle song, like 'Nurse!' by bar italia, that initially crept into my top 40 but completely flourished in time and hit the top spot in the end. The band first came to my attention in 2017 when I was searching for the perfect entry to debut with in anonymous guitar-based competition Nuggets and found 'Lauren'. I sent this entry and the rest was history, I had indeed found just the right starting point and won the contest. 'Ring of Past' is definitely more electronic than I'm used to from them but it still retains a familiar groovy bassline, plus a bit of guitar and drum beats. The relaxing synths and soft delivery from lead singer Emmanuelle Proulx both feel like a warm hug. She is in a reflective, nostalgic mood - looking back on a past flame and wondering if they may ever reconnect, as shown through lines such as: "Solace in believing that we will repeat". The music video also feels nostalgic with its rollerskating themes that compliment the slight disco influences of the song nicely. Lana Del Rey is now nine albums into her discography yet she is still serving career highlights for me. I can recall my first listen of 'A&W', the second single to be taken from Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd, so well. I went in completely blind on a walk during my lunch break and couldn't quite believe how this song progressed! It begins with tales of childhood innocence that slowly disintegrates, with the opening line: "I haven't done a cartwheel since I was nine" particularly painting a picture of this. She then walks us through adulthood, detailing traumatic subjects such as rape culture along the way. Her takes on society feel oh-so Lana, with the line: "Did you know a singer can still be looking like a sidepiece at thirty-three?" immediately jumping out at me as a quotable response to society's way of deeming women as over the hill so quickly. This song is a complex, experimental 7 minute journey that truly leaves no room to breathe. The lyric "Jimmy, you should switch it up" feels apt when this song switches up so boldly. It begins as an acoustically driven number but descends into dark trap beats, with the odd string break, so you can imagine how taken aback I was on that aforementioned first listen when I had no idea it was coming. This was an extremely easy #1 in my chart and Lana's most exciting song in a while. 'Cicada' by Temples is one of two songs to surpass 600 points and settles for this year's runner-up position. Temples are the only act who achieved more than one #1 single for me in 2023 and they also have the unique feat of registering two songs in my EOY top 10 this year. 'Cicada' was released as the second single from the Exotico album and was another track that was a bit of a slow burner. It achieved an impressive chart run which only grew stronger post-album release; 'Cicada' really put up a fight despite 'Meet Your Maker' stealing some of that first album listen spotlight. The band were literally influenced by the insects mentioned in the title when writing this song. They were inspired by the way the creatures emerge from underground after being suppressed for a while. They wanted to channel that uncontrollable energy into a dance beat and they achieved that very well, alongside psychedelic Arabian influences in the guitars and percussion. The chorus is such an earworm, with hindsight it's surprising that this song wasn't more instant for me as it's so obviously hooky. It was brought to my attention that the melody sounds like 'The Show' by Girls Aloud and now I cannot unhear that upon a relisten. I'd definitely say that in time this chorus was the one that was lodged into my brain the most in 2023. It does remain a mystery why Spotify Wrapped omitted this from both mine and Jim's lists, though! My 2022 EOY #1 ('Widow' by Working Men's Club) felt pretty clear cut as it had such a dominant chart run. This year seemed a little bit more unpredictable. However, Heartworms have still absolutely smashed it with almost 900 points for my favourite song of 2023, 'Retributions Of An Awful Life'. This single is incredibly unique sounding and stopped me dead in my tracks the first time I heard it. 'Retributions Of An Awful Life' adopts an unorthodox structure, beginning with a very long instrumental that has a metallic goth sound mixed with fierce post rock/punk guitars, cymbals and other dark rumblings in amongst all that texture. The unmistakable vocals of Heartworms are introduced after mentally equipping herself for words as dark as: "these aren't even men, just losses, hands of evil touch colossus, so much blood, the grass just glosses, ready flags with crooked crosses" </3 the black and white visuals are simple but effective, as she pushes herself out of her comfort zone, especially where the deep water is concerned. The "look at me, I can fly..." chorus is particularly addictive with the closest thing to a melody here. The structure is unpredictable right up until the end, with a bridge shifting Heartworms' style into less of a spoken delivery and more of a sung one, which then morphs into a towering instrumental break and finally one more chorus. Phew! This is the best song I've heard from her to date and I cannot wait for an album to eventually materialise.

-x-

So... that is it for 2023! It's a turn up for the books that I've completed this so quickly considering that I still wrote as much as I wanted to like last year. This has been great fun, I feel the most inspired I have in a while after not really feeling like writing much at all last year, so I'm thrilled about that. Thank you for all the comments along the way, have loved responding to them heart.gif

I'll post the full top 100 list shortly and might as well throw together a playlist, even if only for my own benefit tongue.gif

winner.gif EOY #1s hall of fame:
2022: Working Men's Club - Widow
2023: Heartworms - Retributions Of An Awful Life

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 04:08 PM
Post #84
Group icon

Jade's EOY 2023
01-100 ● full list

01. Heartworms - Retributions Of An Awful Life | 896 points gold.gif
02. Temples - Cicada | 633 points
03. Lana Del Rey - A&W | 578 points
04. Men I Trust - Ring of Past | 556 points
05. Confidence Man x Daniel Avery - On & On (Again) | 478 points
06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16)
07. Temples - Meet Your Maker | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 15)
09. bar italia - Nurse! | 451 points
10. Vandal Moon - Satellite | 440 points

11. Cameo Blush - Out There (feat. yunè pinku) | 411 points
12. Troye Sivan - One Of Your Girls | 394 points
13. Daniel Avery - Going So Low | 387 points
14. Jessica Winter & Jonathan Snipes - All I Need | 383 points (peak: #1)
15. Vandal Moon - Heroine Dancer | 383 points (peak: #3)
16. Mitski - The Deal | 379 points
17. House of Harm - Roseglass | 377 points
18. Yves Tumor - Echolalia | 372 points
19. Overmono - Blow Out | 368 points
20. SWIM - U Were Mine | 345 points

21. Everything Everything - Cold Reactor | 341 points
22. Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha | 340 points
23. Caroline Polachek - Billions | 338 points
24. Overmono - Good Lies | 336 points
25. yunè pinku - Night Light | 325 points
26. bdrmm - Mud | 318 points
27. Headache - The Beginning of the End | 317 points
28. Avalon Emerson - Astrology Poisoning | 316 points
29. The Killers - Your Side of Town | 313 points
30. Odd Nosdam - Kill Tone | 311 points

31. HighSchool - Colt | 303 points
32. Eartheater - Pure Smile Snake Venom | 297 points
33. Taylor Swift - Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) | 295 points
34. Doja Cat - Attention | 284 points
35. Waterbaby - Strawberry Jam | 275 points | (peak: #1)
36. ROSALÍA & Rauw Alejandro - VAMPIROS | 275 points (peak: #3)
37. Slowdive - the slab | 266 points
38. Beyoncé - AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (feat. Kendrick Lamar) | 265 points
39. ROSALÍA - LLYLM | 258 points
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points

41. Daughter - Be On Your Way | 253 points
42. Zanias - Simulation | 252 points
43. KOMPROMAT - Niemand | 250 points
44. Mr. Sosa - Tamagotchi Fantasy | 249 points
45. Mitski - I'm Your Man | 246 points
46. Kap Bambino - Forever | 245 points
47. James Blake - Fall Back | 241 points
48. RAYE - Escapism (feat. 070 Shake) | 238 points
49. FLESH & PEAKi - Veiled | 236 points (peak: #5)
50. Sam Quealy - Seven Swords | 236 points (peak: #10)

51. Zach Bryan - I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves) | 233 points
52. Austin Millz & Sabrina Claudio – Inhale / Exhale | 231 points
53. MRD & TDJ - Memories of You | 229 points (peak: #8)
54. Clark - Clutch Pearlers | 229 points (peak: #10)
55. ROSALÍA - TUYA | 225 points
56. Art School Girlfriend - Waves | 221 points
57. Sufjan Stevens - Shit Talk | 217 points
58. NNHMN - Nrl | 213 points
59. Drab Majesty - Vanity (feat. Rachel Goswell) | 212 points
60. Rosegarden Funeral Party - Gates of Heaven | 205 points

61. Everything Everything - The Mad Stone | 203 points
62. Romy - The Sea | 202 points
63. Shygirl & Cosha - ​​thicc | 201 points (peak: #2)
64. The Chemical Brothers - Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck) | 201 points (peak: #7)
65. Tara Lily - Double Time | 199 points
66. Yves Tumor - God Is a Circle | 196 points (peak: #1)
67. Fat Dog - King of the Slugs | 196 points (peak: #5)
68. Heartworms - May I Comply | 193 points
69. Luke Black - Samo mi se spava | 192 points
70. Overmono - Sugarushhh | 191 points (peak: #7)

71. Doja Cat - Demons | 191 points (peak: #10)
72. Joanie - Kerosene | 189 points
73. Geo22 - Alchemy | 184 points
74. Kesha - Eat The Acid | 183 points
75. Heartworms - 24 Hours | 182 points
76. Aphex Twin - in a room7 F760 | 180 points
77. DJ Koze - Wespennest (feat. Sophia Kennedy) | 178 points (peak: #7)
78. Clark - Vardo | 178 points (peak: #13)
79. Overmono - Is U | 177 points
80. Julien Bracht - Counting Days | 176 points (peak: #3)

81. VTSS - Make You Scream (yunè pinku Remix) | 176 points (peak: #5)
82. The Kills - 103 | 173 points
83. The Smile - Bending Hectic | 172 points
84. 1tbsp - Best of Me | 171 points
85. Lana Del Rey - Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis) | 170 points (peak: #7)
86. Villager - Never Gonna Be | 170 points (peak: #9)
87. Radost Moja - Pej Solntse | 169 points
88. Depeche Mode - My Cosmos Is Mine | 166 points (peak: #10)
89. Overmono - Arla Fearn | 166 points (peak: #15)
90. Snow Strippers - Just A Hint | 162 points

91. Lana Del Rey - The Grants | 160 points
92. Caroline Polachek - Butterfly Net | 158 points (peak: #3)
93. Vitesse X - Right Now | 158 points (peak: #8)
94. Jasper Tygner - Limes | 158 points (peak: #10)
95. Yves Tumor - Lovely Sewer | 155 points
96. TETRICA - Brujería | 154 points (peak: #6)
97. Björk & ROSALÍA - Oral | 154 points (peak: #10)
98. The Beatles - Now And Then | 152 points
99. THUS LOVE - Repetitioner | 149 points
100. Chelsea Wolfe - Dusk | 147 points

xxx

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th January 2024, 08:34 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Happy to see "(It Goes Like) Nanana" and "What Was I Made For?" in the top 10 of the year for you!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 10:01 PM
Post #86
Group icon

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 14 2024, 08:34 PM) *
Happy to see "(It Goes Like) Nanana" and "What Was I Made For?" in the top 10 of the year for you!

Yay! Happy to have connected with two top 10 smashes so much this year happy.gif

thank you for commenting!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th January 2024, 10:09 PM
Post #87
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Oh my, you've put me to shame with your speed of posting DeadBanana.gif Congrats on finishing and with some wonderful commentaries to boot x

Great number 1, that was one of my favourites too, so dark and intense and a wonderful build up. Confidence Man, Peggy Gou and Billie Eilish are my other favourites from the top 10, was wonderful seeing the latter two become chart hits and Daniel Avery continues to have a wonderful dance style.

Some other selected comments:

23. Caroline Polachek - Billions - this actually took a while to fully click with me too, but hearing the album, it really hit me. Strong Massive Attack vibes throughout and the conclusion is wonderful *.*
25. yunè pinku - Night Light - I prefer Fai Fighter but really enjoy this too, great soundscape.
34. Doja Cat - Attention - What a shame this didn't take off like her other songs, great to hear an established star take more of a trip-hop route
35. Waterbaby - Strawberry Jam - An 18 for me in BJSC and my favourite of yours this year <3 they've certainly been listening to a lot of Bjork and Kate Bush. The second best song this year to mention Strawberry Jam magic.gif (don't know if you've heard denver luna but it's a tune x)
37. Slowdive - the slab - was lovely to hear from them again after only really discovering them last year with my BJSC entry, this is beautlful <3
41. Daughter - Be On Your Way - One of my favourites of the year too, hadn't really heard from them since the side project, Ex:Re, but this was rivalling Youth as the best thing I've heard from them.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 10:58 PM
Post #88
Group icon

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 14 2024, 10:09 PM) *
Oh my, you've put me to shame with your speed of posting DeadBanana.gif Congrats on finishing and with some wonderful commentaries to boot x

Great number 1, that was one of my favourites too, so dark and intense and a wonderful build up. Confidence Man, Peggy Gou and Billie Eilish are my other favourites from the top 10, was wonderful seeing the latter two become chart hits and Daniel Avery continues to have a wonderful dance style.

Some other selected comments:

23. Caroline Polachek - Billions - this actually took a while to fully click with me too, but hearing the album, it really hit me. Strong Massive Attack vibes throughout and the conclusion is wonderful *.*
25. yunè pinku - Night Light - I prefer Fai Fighter but really enjoy this too, great soundscape.
34. Doja Cat - Attention - What a shame this didn't take off like her other songs, great to hear an established star take more of a trip-hop route
35. Waterbaby - Strawberry Jam - An 18 for me in BJSC and my favourite of yours this year <3 they've certainly been listening to a lot of Bjork and Kate Bush. The second best song this year to mention Strawberry Jam magic.gif (don't know if you've heard denver luna but it's a tune x)
37. Slowdive - the slab - was lovely to hear from them again after only really discovering them last year with my BJSC entry, this is beautlful <3
41. Daughter - Be On Your Way - One of my favourites of the year too, hadn't really heard from them since the side project, Ex:Re, but this was rivalling Youth as the best thing I've heard from them.

kink.gif I set myself the challenge of finishing it by the end of the week after I was at the half-way point, giving myself a break on the two days where I was either the most busy or sleep deprived laugh.gif I seem to thrive most with some kind of routine and am so happy I managed to follow it through, especially after being so slow last year :') guess I got into a good flow this time. Thank you anyway, that is so sweet, really enjoyed revisiting all of the songs and writing away.

yahoo.gif was of course very happy to see 'Retributions Of An Awful Life' turning up in your countdown too, the build-up never gets any less thrilling. Intrigued to see where Billie will end up for you if I read into your Barbenheimer comment correctly... cool.gif I don't think I've ever heard a Daniel Avery song that I didn't like, definitely one of the best producers around at the moment.

Okay it makes me feel much better that I wasn't the only one who didn't immediately love 'Billions' laugh.gif we both saw sense in the end, sorry Caroline. I did not expect Doja Cat to also go down the trip-hop route but was very much here for it, a #37 peak is criminal :'(

Oh yes, was very pleased to get your 18 that contest *.* plus that of others, was lovely to see such strong support for it. 'Strawberry Jam' immediately reminded me of Kate Bush as well which is pretty much the highest compliment you could get tbh. Oh I actually have heard 'denver luna' but just the once so will have to revisit it.

Your Slowdive entry was beautiful, gave it a silver medal, that was a great reminder of them before the new era arrived <3 glad you took to 'the slab' as well.

Forgot that Ex:Re was a Daughter side project! I only discovered 'I Can't Keep You' by them last year (after checking out one of Cillian Murphy's shows that he did for 6Music, the man has very good taste kink.gif) but love that now. 'Be On Your Way' is my favourite by Daughter overall for sure out of what I know but should really familiarise myself with more.

Thank you for commenting <3

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th January 2024, 07:29 AM
Post #89
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Oop there were still 2 in the top 10 I'd not heard yet, all caught up now though! Final couple of belated first listens then were Confidence Man/Daniel Avery and Temples' 'Meet Your Maker', both of which were sounding great and super catchy on first listen so well deserved #1s for you, I've been mixed on Confidence Man's output to date but they brought their A-game for the Avery collab (sounds a little outside his usual wheelhouse for the most part but can still hear a bit of his influence), Temples have been pretty consistent in bringing the psychedelic bangers lately though, I don't think I paid attention to them at their commercial prime but a shame their stock has fallen with the last couple of albums, loved the unexpected acid house twist on this track *.* I did at least know 'Cicada' already though and that is a major tune too although yes can never unhear the comparison to 'The Show' haha, blame someone on PopJustice pointing that out when the song was sent to PJSC laugh.gif

Anyways, I suppose I should have been able to guess Heartworms would be #1, forgot just how dominant a run this song had on your chart ohmy.gif It is excellent like everything else I've heard from her so far (had forgotten this was another song like 'May I Comply' that really gives the instrumental a lot of room to breathe before the vocals kick in!), particularly love the part in the second half that you highlighted in your recap clip, although I think I stand by that I love the other 2 songs from her in this countdown even more so it's kind of a second year in a row where I'm stanning the artist pick for your EOY #1 but just not necessarily the song I'd have picked, can totally see why this would be anyone's favourite though! (And I do like this a fair bit more than 'Widow', just a compliment to how fantastic her other songs are really).

Elsewhere 3 of the very best commercial hits of the year here, counting 'A&W' here despite it being cruelly denied a top 40 peak but absolutely agreed that is up there with Lana's career highlights, even just the first part of the song on its own would be great but of course it's made by the descent into unhinged madness after the beat switch cheeseblock.png Peggy Gou having a major commercial hit may well be a one off but she made it count with one of the most joyous and hook-dense dance tracks of the year which has resisted ever losing an ounce of its appeal to me no matter how many times I've heard it! And kind of on the opposite end of the joy spectrum lol but the Billie song is absolutely stunning, a much better representation of her catalogue's overall quality than her other UK #1 so was very pleased it eventually snuck 1 week there (and I helped by buying that cassette to donate to your music collection magic.gif kink.gif)

Men I Trust don't always hit for me, obviously loved your Nuggets entry from them and 'Billie Toppy' but a lot of their other stuff has bordered on a little boring, 'Ring Of Past' is another good one though although probably my least favourite of this top 10. I've still only heard this one song from bar italia iirc but they are another post-punk adjacent act making a strong first impression so need to keep an eye out for the future (although I've seen they released two full albums last year so I won't blame them if they take some time off now haha), a nice contrast of both vocal and instrumental styles throughout this song. And finally agreed on 'Satellite' being the best of Vandal Moon's handful of singles of the year, pulling off the more aggressive/raw punk style excellently *.* both this and 'Heroine Dancer' being slight departure from the style of 'Queen Of The Night' so interested to see where they go next!

Well done for managing to complete so many detailed writeups so quickly, has been a fun and informative read again + nice to finally force myself to catch up on hearing a lot of these songs cool.gif

(Now ought to go catch up on everyone else's EOYs again oop, I was doing well at keeping up for a while but got a few days behind again ph34r.gif)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th January 2024, 06:50 PM
Post #90
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Hiya Jade heart.gif heart.gif songs I know and like from your list!

06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16) bop!
08. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? | 452 points heart.gif a beautiful moment in an amazing film
33. Taylor Swift - Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) | 295 points
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points yuuuuuge flop!
67. Fat Dog - King of the Slugs | 196 points (peak: #5) what did you just call me? x
74. Kesha - Eat The Acid | 183 points The final minute or so of this is insanely good!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 17th January 2024, 11:40 PM
Post #91
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Well done on finishing this so quickly! cheer.gif

From your top 20, the 80s synth-laden 'Roseglass' and hectic acid house (with occasional Blondie) influences in 'All I Need' were fab discoveries from your chart. Neither of those Daniel Avery songs quite made my chart, but I knew both well - I always think the line after "going so low" sounds like "Lily Allen" laugh.gif 'Heroine Dancer' was an unexpected shift into dance from Vandal Moon that I was glad to hear in BJSC, I approve of it getting your 18 there! 'Satellite' from them opening your top 10 is pretty cool, that industrial sound was more immediate for me. 'Nurse!' and 'Ring Of Past' were also discoveries from your chart I went back to, the first as you'd given it such a long run at #1 and some of it reminds me of Radiohead, and the second I came around to after recalling that synth riff at random. Billie's second official #1 feels more in keeping with her creativity than her first, and '(It Goes Like) Nanana' feels like a #1 as it became such an essential for any summer playlisting!

Two of your top 3 made my top 100 - 'A&W' as you've seen, I may have slightly preferred 'The Grants' by the time the album came out as a representation of the NFR style, but have to agree that the most exciting track this era was already there. 'Cicada' may well make an appearance soon, a psychedelic trip that's riotously catchy (and until Bré commented I was wondering who mentioned it sounding like 'The Show' as I'd certainly thought that! laugh.gif ) and I enjoyed the whole album so it's great to see represented twice in your top 10. That just leaves your #1, which I didn't chart but have plenty to admire about it, especially Heartworms' delivery and turns of phrase over the crashing production.

Thanks Jade for sharing your commentaries, it's an absolute talent to be able to write like this and it's something that doesn't come naturally to me, but I can tell you've put a lot of time into deconstructing and researching the context behind the songs, and it's made for an excellent read!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 18th January 2024, 08:51 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Nice to see Peggy in the Top 5 - a great dance song that was a really welcome addition to the charts! Nice to see Cicada so high as well - should definitely have paid that more attention when it was out.

Thanks for posting Jade - I've really enjoyed following along!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 18th January 2024, 09:48 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Hey Jade, from the rest of your year end then..

06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16) what an absolute bop
35. Waterbaby - Strawberry Jam | 275 points | (peak: #1) well this came higher in mine kink.gif

grand stuff! happy.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th January 2024, 10:38 PM
Post #94
Group icon

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 16 2024, 07:29 AM) *
Oop there were still 2 in the top 10 I'd not heard yet, all caught up now though! Final couple of belated first listens then were Confidence Man/Daniel Avery and Temples' 'Meet Your Maker', both of which were sounding great and super catchy on first listen so well deserved #1s for you, I've been mixed on Confidence Man's output to date but they brought their A-game for the Avery collab (sounds a little outside his usual wheelhouse for the most part but can still hear a bit of his influence), Temples have been pretty consistent in bringing the psychedelic bangers lately though, I don't think I paid attention to them at their commercial prime but a shame their stock has fallen with the last couple of albums, loved the unexpected acid house twist on this track *.* I did at least know 'Cicada' already though and that is a major tune too although yes can never unhear the comparison to 'The Show' haha, blame someone on PopJustice pointing that out when the song was sent to PJSC laugh.gif

Anyways, I suppose I should have been able to guess Heartworms would be #1, forgot just how dominant a run this song had on your chart ohmy.gif It is excellent like everything else I've heard from her so far (had forgotten this was another song like 'May I Comply' that really gives the instrumental a lot of room to breathe before the vocals kick in!), particularly love the part in the second half that you highlighted in your recap clip, although I think I stand by that I love the other 2 songs from her in this countdown even more so it's kind of a second year in a row where I'm stanning the artist pick for your EOY #1 but just not necessarily the song I'd have picked, can totally see why this would be anyone's favourite though! (And I do like this a fair bit more than 'Widow', just a compliment to how fantastic her other songs are really).

Elsewhere 3 of the very best commercial hits of the year here, counting 'A&W' here despite it being cruelly denied a top 40 peak but absolutely agreed that is up there with Lana's career highlights, even just the first part of the song on its own would be great but of course it's made by the descent into unhinged madness after the beat switch cheeseblock.png Peggy Gou having a major commercial hit may well be a one off but she made it count with one of the most joyous and hook-dense dance tracks of the year which has resisted ever losing an ounce of its appeal to me no matter how many times I've heard it! And kind of on the opposite end of the joy spectrum lol but the Billie song is absolutely stunning, a much better representation of her catalogue's overall quality than her other UK #1 so was very pleased it eventually snuck 1 week there (and I helped by buying that cassette to donate to your music collection magic.gif kink.gif)

Men I Trust don't always hit for me, obviously loved your Nuggets entry from them and 'Billie Toppy' but a lot of their other stuff has bordered on a little boring, 'Ring Of Past' is another good one though although probably my least favourite of this top 10. I've still only heard this one song from bar italia iirc but they are another post-punk adjacent act making a strong first impression so need to keep an eye out for the future (although I've seen they released two full albums last year so I won't blame them if they take some time off now haha), a nice contrast of both vocal and instrumental styles throughout this song. And finally agreed on 'Satellite' being the best of Vandal Moon's handful of singles of the year, pulling off the more aggressive/raw punk style excellently *.* both this and 'Heroine Dancer' being slight departure from the style of 'Queen Of The Night' so interested to see where they go next!

Well done for managing to complete so many detailed writeups so quickly, has been a fun and informative read again + nice to finally force myself to catch up on hearing a lot of these songs cool.gif

(Now ought to go catch up on everyone else's EOYs again oop, I was doing well at keeping up for a while but got a few days behind again ph34r.gif)

Very pleased that you enjoyed both 'Meet Your Maker' and 'On & On (Again)' so much on first listen *.* your own stanning of 'Gamma Rays' made me pay more attention to this Temples era than I otherwise would've done, turns out I'd like two more songs from the album even more than that one! The absolute taste of someone on PopJustice sending 'Cicada' to their contest.

I suppose the Heartworms run could've been easily forgotten when the song 'only' achieved a few weeks at #1, while something like 'Widow' last year had a lengthy run at the top. I'm happy that you enjoy her sound too even if our favourite song doesn't quite match laugh.gif I haven't heard a bad track by her though tbh, so any choice of favourite is valid.

'A&W' stalling at #41 was sooooo frustrating cry.gif would've been epic to have something so left-field played on the chart show. At least she did get in the top 40, in fact top 10, in some capacity with 'Say Yes To Heaven', queen of TikTok. I agree that the first half of the song is wondrous in itself before the transition even happens, with that taking it even higher. What a moment for Peggy, any further success would just be a bonus, but yeah this one song will definitely cement itself as a modern dance essential! Thanks again for the Billie 99p casserole donation kink.gif glad you love the song so much as well and you haven't even seen the Barbie scene as far as I'm aware.

Oh yes 'Billie Toppy' was an absolute tune from them too! I need to revisit that. I can't believe I missed the memo about bar italia releasing two albums last year, need to belatedly check out the one I haven't heard yet. I can't wait to see where Vandal Moon go next too. I feel like Blake Voss could sell anything! Well, perhaps not throat singing.

Thanks so much!! I'm thrilled that you've been such an engaged participant, your detailed thoughts have been much appreciated *.*

kink.gif I have fallen behind myself a bit but slowly catching up too.

QUOTE(JosephChalamet @ Jan 16 2024, 06:50 PM) *
Hiya Jade heart.gif heart.gif songs I know and like from your list!

06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16) bop!
08. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? | 452 points heart.gif a beautiful moment in an amazing film
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points yuuuuuge flop!
67. Fat Dog - King of the Slugs | 196 points (peak: #5) what did you just call me? x
74. Kesha - Eat The Acid | 183 points The final minute or so of this is insanely good!

Hey Joseph heart.gif heart.gif

Happy to see the Caroline appreciation after she was played to you IRL last year *.*

Agreed that both the Billie song and the accompanying film were great. Going to see Barbie may have been my most fun cinema experience to date with everyone dressed in pink!

Flopini or Flopiana - choose your fighter x

thank you for commenting!! <3

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 17 2024, 11:40 PM) *
Well done on finishing this so quickly! cheer.gif

From your top 20, the 80s synth-laden 'Roseglass' and hectic acid house (with occasional Blondie) influences in 'All I Need' were fab discoveries from your chart. Neither of those Daniel Avery songs quite made my chart, but I knew both well - I always think the line after "going so low" sounds like "Lily Allen" laugh.gif 'Heroine Dancer' was an unexpected shift into dance from Vandal Moon that I was glad to hear in BJSC, I approve of it getting your 18 there! 'Satellite' from them opening your top 10 is pretty cool, that industrial sound was more immediate for me. 'Nurse!' and 'Ring Of Past' were also discoveries from your chart I went back to, the first as you'd given it such a long run at #1 and some of it reminds me of Radiohead, and the second I came around to after recalling that synth riff at random. Billie's second official #1 feels more in keeping with her creativity than her first, and '(It Goes Like) Nanana' feels like a #1 as it became such an essential for any summer playlisting!

Two of your top 3 made my top 100 - 'A&W' as you've seen, I may have slightly preferred 'The Grants' by the time the album came out as a representation of the NFR style, but have to agree that the most exciting track this era was already there. 'Cicada' may well make an appearance soon, a psychedelic trip that's riotously catchy (and until Bré commented I was wondering who mentioned it sounding like 'The Show' as I'd certainly thought that! laugh.gif ) and I enjoyed the whole album so it's great to see represented twice in your top 10. That just leaves your #1, which I didn't chart but have plenty to admire about it, especially Heartworms' delivery and turns of phrase over the crashing production.

Thanks Jade for sharing your commentaries, it's an absolute talent to be able to write like this and it's something that doesn't come naturally to me, but I can tell you've put a lot of time into deconstructing and researching the context behind the songs, and it's made for an excellent read!

Thanks Jim cheer.gif it makes a change from me dragging things on for ages laugh.gif (I really want to get back to my top 40 hits thread, just need a bit of a break, but definitely feeling inspired to write again)

Ooh yes I can hear the Blondie influences in 'All I Need' now you mention it! Funnily enough, Lex also said he could hear Blondie in 'Gates of Heaven' when I sent it to BJSC, so their sound is clearly en vogue right now, alongside that U2 song that sounded like 'Atomic' and BJSC winner 'Midnight Rapture' laugh.gif omg I'm going to have to listen out for "Lily Allen" next time I put on 'Going So Low'! It always cracks me up when people come up with random lyric suggestions during BJSC sessions when we get loopy dance songs with unclear words. Yeah Vandal Moon's sound shift this year was surprising but very much welcome <3 I'm glad you were still into their stuff this year (especially 'Satellite') after making a good discovery in 'Sweet Disaster' last year! No wonder I was so drawn to 'Nurse!' with Radiohead comparisons, always an excellent moodboard. Speaking of which... bring on The Smile's new album next week *.*

'A&W' feels like Lana's most experimental song in years in terms of both sound and length, the buzz around it was incredible when it dropped wub.gif hahaha my mind is well and truly blown by the comparison to 'The Show', I'm off to see Girls Aloud in June so perhaps 'Cicada' will run through my brain when they perform that song now kink.gif happy you enjoyed the accompanying album, I remember being pleased when you mentioned it in a 'best albums of the year so far' style thread in The Lounge however many months ago. At the time I think it was just outside my top 5 of the year but I went back to it so much in 2023 that it only feels right to bump it up higher now. Heartworms' style feels so refreshing, obsessed with her!

Oh wow, thank you so much, that is incredibly kind to say <3 I love being able to present random facts as well as thoughts - especially when such a big fan of electronic music, just have to find out what certain samples are if I don't already know them laugh.gif am enjoying your own countdown a lot too!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 18 2024, 08:51 PM) *
Nice to see Peggy in the Top 5 - a great dance song that was a really welcome addition to the charts! Nice to see Cicada so high as well - should definitely have paid that more attention when it was out.

Thanks for posting Jade - I've really enjoyed following along!

I'm glad you're a fan of Peggy's song too wub.gif really happy that it caught on in such a way. I was expecting my top two to be Heartworms and Lana before number crunching so was shocked that 'Cicada' actually beat the latter, forgot how much I loved it but my strong appreciation for it came flooding back when revisiting <3

Aww I'm really pleased that you enjoyed following along! Thank you for your comments throughout happy.gif

QUOTE(Roba. @ Jan 18 2024, 09:48 PM) *
Hey Jade, from the rest of your year end then..

06. Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana | 465 points (peak: #1, weeks on chart: 16) what an absolute bop
35. Waterbaby - Strawberry Jam | 275 points | (peak: #1) well this came higher in mine kink.gif

grand stuff! happy.gif

Hey Roba hi.gif

Great to see all the love for Peggy in here and in other people's EOYs *.*

Omg at 'Strawberry Jam' placing higher in yours laugh.gif I'm a flop Jadakissnia stan, with both Headache and Vandal Moon placing higher than my own entries. tongue.gif

Thank youuuuu <3 x

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th February 2024, 09:37 AM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Not so much overlap as per usual these days with my more mainstream personal charts, but even so, I bought 8 of them and 2 of them topped my personal charts yahoo.gif smile.gif

08. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? | 452 points top 10 for me
29. The Killers - Your Side of Town | 313 points number one for moi
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points top 10 for me
51. Zach Bryan - I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves) | 233 points still climbing, a bit late on this, me
64. The Chemical Brothers - Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck) | 201 points (peak: #7)
91. Lana Del Rey - The Grants | 160 points
98. The Beatles - Now And Then | 152 points number one oc for me biggrin.gif

Insightful as always in the analysis' dance.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:15 PM