BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Politician Of The Year 2017
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Jan 13 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
(Bit late but why not)

I think that even though I didn't vote for his party and have no intention of doing so, it has to be Jeremy Corbyn. He started a revolution in English politics like nothing seen recently.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 13 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
LIKE I SAID ALL ALONG!!

You were ALL laughing at me rolleyes.gif

*hair flick* but who's laughing now? Who's laughing now?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 14 2018, 06:55 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Andrew. @ Jan 13 2018, 04:24 PM) *
(Bit late but why not)

I think that even though I didn't vote for his party and have no intention of doing so, it has to be Jeremy Corbyn. He started a revolution in English politics like nothing seen recently.

You might want to rethink that criteria a bit, as it could equally be applied to Nigel Farage. heehee.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 14 2018, 09:40 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Jeremy Corbyn has yet to prove he has started a revolution. His main achievement so far has been to silence his own party members, attract new left-leaning Momentum members (which is effectively a new political party taking over an old one), successfully ignore the issue of Brexit letting it destroy the Tories without having an actual clear policy on it himself, and run a good election campaign against one of the worst-ever Tory campaigns so that his expected whipping turned out to be just a close loss.

Now had he run a similarly energetic campaign, as he should have done as leader of a party who had a pro-Brexit stance as democratically-decided by members and unions, one might argue the entire mess the country has been in since wouldnt have happened. Let's not beat about the bush, Corbyn hates the EU and always has done. Nothing has changed. That his young adoring fans fail to recognise that basic fact shows it's a cult of personality. He's not the Messiah, as I have said before, he's a very naughty boy who has made a career out of voting against his own party but can't take it when others democratically-elected do the same.

De-selecting demonstrates intolerance, and doesn't bode any better than most of his questionable parliamentary performances so far might indicate. "Keep a low profile, with the occasional bit of ya-boo bloody Tories" is not a man going out of his way to try and right all the wrongs that are going on right now and due to get worse.

Farage has done his damage, and as one good article pointed out this week, he's back-tracking because he knows he's going down in history as the man who caused serious harm to the UK. Plus he needs his 100k a year plus salary, apparently 78k pension isn't enough to get by on.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 14 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jan 14 2018, 09:40 AM) *
Jeremy Corbyn has yet to prove he has started a revolution. His main achievement so far has been to silence his own party members, attract new left-leaning Momentum members (which is effectively a new political party taking over an old one), successfully ignore the issue of Brexit letting it destroy the Tories without having an actual clear policy on it himself, and run a good election campaign against one of the worst-ever Tory campaigns so that his expected whipping turned out to be just a close loss.

Now had he run a similarly energetic campaign, as he should have done as leader of a party who had a pro-Brexit stance as democratically-decided by members and unions, one might argue the entire mess the country has been in since wouldnt have happened. Let's not beat about the bush, Corbyn hates the EU and always has done. Nothing has changed. That his young adoring fans fail to recognise that basic fact shows it's a cult of personality. He's not the Messiah, as I have said before, he's a very naughty boy who has made a career out of voting against his own party but can't take it when others democratically-elected do the same.

De-selecting demonstrates intolerance, and doesn't bode any better than most of his questionable parliamentary performances so far might indicate. "Keep a low profile, with the occasional bit of ya-boo bloody Tories" is not a man going out of his way to try and right all the wrongs that are going on right now and due to get worse.

Farage has done his damage, and as one good article pointed out this week, he's back-tracking because he knows he's going down in history as the man who caused serious harm to the UK. Plus he needs his 100k a year plus salary, apparently 78k pension isn't enough to get by on.

I actually agree with most of this - except for the last paragraph, of course. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 14 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
Yup, this has turned into a car crash already.

Corbyn is the obvious candidate as no one really saw the 2017 election result coming, and he deserves credit for confounding expectations having been pretty dire for about 18 months after he first became leader.

Of course Theresa May would probably be an equally good contender, as it was her general uselessness as much as Labour's great campaign that made the result happen (and obviously she called the result in the first place).

Doug Jones is the new Democratic Senator for Alabama. He deserves a mention just because of how improbable the last sentence would have seemed for most of 2017, or indeed most of the last 30 years.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 14 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Jan 14 2018, 02:32 PM) *
Doug Jones is the new Democratic Senator for Alabama. He deserves a mention just because of how improbable the last sentence would have seemed for most of 2017, or indeed most of the last 30 years.

I don't really follow US politics at the state level - is it normally a Republican stronghold then?

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 14 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 14 2018, 02:56 PM) *
I don't really follow US politics at the state level - is it normally a Republican stronghold then?

Yes, I wouldn't have said it otherwise.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 14 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #9
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
For me it is Emmanuel Macron. Successfully transformed the French political system and started a political movement that not only kept Le Pen out but earnt himself a place in history as France's youngest ever President. What he achieves with this 5 year presidency is of course yet to be seen, and he certainly has his work cut out (exceptionally high youth unemployment and state debt) but whatever happens he was the political success story of 2017.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 14 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Jan 14 2018, 02:32 PM) *
Yup, this has turned into a car crash already.

Corbyn is the obvious candidate as no one really saw the 2017 election result coming, and he deserves credit for confounding expectations having been pretty dire for about 18 months after he first became leader.

Of course Theresa May would probably be an equally good contender, as it was her general uselessness as much as Labour's great campaign that made the result happen (and obviously she called the result in the first place).

I saw it and was told to shut up and that I was wrong rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 14 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 14 2018, 04:02 PM) *
For me it is Emmanuel Macron. Successfully transformed the French political system and started a political movement that not only kept Le Pen out but earnt himself a place in history as France's youngest ever President.

Not that hard to win an election when the only opposition is an unrepentant racist, though..

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 14 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 14 2018, 04:17 PM) *
Not that hard to win an election when the only opposition is an unrepentant racist, though..

Tell that to Hillary Clinton.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jan 14 2018, 04:18 PM

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 14 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
QUOTE(Shia LeMuffQueef @ Jan 14 2018, 04:16 PM) *
I saw it and was told to shut up and that I was wrong rolleyes.gif

That's because you were, and are, unbearably annoying.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 14 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 14 2018, 04:18 PM) *
Tell that to Hillary Clinton.

Can I amend that to 'leader of an openly racist party' then?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 14 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 14 2018, 05:02 PM) *
For me it is Emmanuel Macron. Successfully transformed the French political system and started a political movement that not only kept Le Pen out but earnt himself a place in history as France's youngest ever President. What he achieves with this 5 year presidency is of course yet to be seen, and he certainly has his work cut out (exceptionally high youth unemployment and state debt) but whatever happens he was the political success story of 2017.

If chosen on the impact they made in 2017, Macron would've been my choice too. Taking a political movement that was only a few months old into power in both the office of the Presidency and within the parliament, defeating three of the old guard parties of the French system in the process is a phenomenal achievement. Whether he'll be held in such high regard by the time he finishes remains to be seen - his Thatcher-esque economic reforms will no doubt cause much consternation, and since taking power he's proven to be somewhat of a big ol' racist.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 14 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Alabama tho

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 14 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Ohhhhhhh Jeremy Corbyn

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 14 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
My vote for Politician of the year goes to the eternally fabulous future Gay Icon Emily Thornberry *.*

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 14 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

He beat all his opponents in the first round.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 14 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Justin Trudeau. For being a decent human being and wearing a Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy T shirt

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:15 AM