BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Oscars x 2016 x The Contenders, Part 2: What Films Are Going For Glory?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 01:07 AM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Hello and welcome to the first of many threads to come! This thread will see me and Jahq take an in depth look at some of the following films on the list below and their chances for Oscar glory. I will start with the first few tomorrow smile.gif Also if anyone wants to contribute reviews to these posts, please pm me or Jahq and we will include them in the post smile.gif I will give an example on how this will look/work a bit later if I am awake enough!

Key Films We Will Probably Start On:
Beasts Of No Nation
Black Mass
Bridge Of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
Concussion
Creed
Inside Out
Joy
Love And Mercy
Mad Max: Fury Road
Room
Sicario
Son Of Saul
Spotlight
Star Wars 7
Straight Outta Compton
Steve Jobs
Suffragette
The Big Short
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
The Martian
The Revenant
Trumbo
Youth
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 02:06 AM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: A young Irish woman attempts to build a new life for herself in Brooklyn, only to find herself torn between the life she once had and the life ahead of her in America.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Best Director (John Crowley), Best Actress (Saoirse Ronan), Best Supporting Actor (Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson), Best Supporting Actress (Julie Walters), Best Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design, Production Design, Cinematography, Film Editing, Original Score
Distributor: Lionsgate & Fox Searchlight

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 98% (170, 3). Top Critics: 100% (35, 0)
Critics Consensus: Brooklyn buttresses outstanding performances from Saoirse Ronan and Emory Cohen with a rich period drama that tugs at the heartstrings as deftly as it satisfies the mind.

BOX OFFICE:
UK- A fantastic opening of £1.04M this weekend with the highest grossing weekend in Ireland in over 20 years. Set for a fantastic box office run, believe it may already be over £2M! It is also supposedly having a fantastic hold this weekend!
US- Very strong numbers in limited release so far with fantastic weekly averages of 37k and 21k. Should expand very well at this rate!
International- Not opened that wide yet.

Why It Might Succeed: The film is having a fantastic box office run so far which can help buzz for a movie so much. The film is being critically lauded by everyone who is watching the movie and has fantastic reviews. Buzz around Saoirse Ronan is massive at the moment and the film is increasing buzz so quickly by the day.
Why It Might Not Succeed: There is a small chance but still a chance that buzz could fall and it could struggle in its wide expansion at the American Box Office. Also I can't see it getting into many of the big categories!

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (though think Picture/Ronan/Adapted Screenplay/Costume will all definitely happen!)
Buzzjack's Reviews:
Ultraviolence1989: Possibly my favourite movie of the year. The film is utterly beautiful to look at and the plot and script are charming and gives the movie life. The acting on the whole is absolutely incredible, from Saoirse Ronan who keeps you captivated throughout the entire movie and should be getting her 2nd Oscar nomination for Brooklyn to newcomer Emory Cohen who makes you root for his character and is stunning in his role. Julie Walters steals every scene she is in during the dining table scenes and gives charm at all occasions and the whole ensemble is fantastic and work amazingly well together. This is really one of the most beautiful movies in recent years and Ronan carries this film perfectly. 10/10
Joe: Genuinely one of the most moving films I've seen this year. It's quite simple but Sursha is brilliant in it. It's marketed as a love story but it's so much more than that.
Jahq: It's definitely a contender for me! Fantastic, Julie Walters and the dinner table scenes were wonderful. It was funny, charming, touching. I was already a fan of Domhnall Gleeson but we saw less of him and he came second so I was definitely rooting for Tony (despite having to leave her mother and her sister being dead it still felt like an happy ending and it was so perfect). Her talk about homesickness and the struggle between America and Ireland, I managed to find very relatable with my own circumstances. Would love it to ride a probable Best Picture nomination all the way to a win. I could gush all day, it really had it all.
Josh: What a performance from Saiorse Ronan, each facial expression and word was thought about, it wasn't a larger than life character or an over the top performance but yet it left such a lasting impression. Glad she made the right decision in the end, was gettin worried with all the pressure put on her.

Hope you like this and if this goes down well I'll do it for more with Jahq. Also remember to contribute any reviews if you want to?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 02:46 AM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: A young boy loses all his family during a war and is made to join one of the armies.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Best Director (Cary Fukunaja), Best Actor (Abraham Attah), Best Supporting Actor (Idris Elba), Best Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing
Distributor: Netflix

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 91% (97, 10). Top Critics: 80% (20, 5)
Critics Consensus: Critics Consensus: Beasts of No Nation finds writer-director Cary Fukunaga working with a talented cast to offer a sobering, uncompromising, yet still somehow hopeful picture of war's human cost.

BOX OFFICE:
UK- Tiny opening so not noteworthy.
US- Struggled in its very small release earning under a £100k total.
International- Was opened on Netflix in most countries!

Why It Might Succeed: The film has got great reviews and the performances have been very well regarded. Also Netflix numbers have reportedly been impressive.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Three words. The release strategy. The film being on Netflix means many people won't get to see the movie and that the film will fall under the radar as not many people will see it.

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (though thinking complete snub may happen at the moment, Elba is the best bet for a nomination if it does get one!)
Buzzjack's Reviews:
Ultraviolence1989: The first half an hour or so is one of the strongest for movies in ages and is a fantastic and heartbreaking film, giving us a beautiful insight into Agu's life and how everything turns to worst possible scenario for him during half an hour. However unfortunately from here, the quality drops quite drastically as it gets repetitive, confusing and quite boring with only one or two scenes making a lasting impression e.g. Agu shooting the woman and feels like it ends incredibly suddenly, I was expecting there to be quite a lot more of the movie left. So it starts strong and I wish the film continued the excellence of the first part to be a fantastic movie worthy of Oscar nominations. 06.5/10

Hope you like this and if this goes down well I'll do it for more with Jahq. Also remember to contribute any reviews if you want to?!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 16 2015, 03:04 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Loving this. I wrote 'Brooklyn' off as I'm not one to be too into love stories, but I think this does look like it could actually be worth a watch, at the very least. Looking forward to getting around to 'Beasts Of No Nation'.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 16 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Aw, I guess Burnt's bad reviews really have put Cooper out the picture, I know he basically just played Gordon Ramsay but it was still impressive for him to bring so much tension to every scene - whether he would scream or not when tasting something in the iamspamspamami

Brooklyn for a lot of noms I hope, don't think Ronan will win at this stage (might be Larson, Blanchett or Lawrence) but she deserves the recognition. Cohen too if he's in the running, such a charming character!

Love this already UV!

This post has been edited by Josh.: Nov 16 2015, 07:58 AM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Adding reviews for movies if they have a thread and people have posted reviews in there (e.g. look at the Brooklyn reviews part for example) smile.gif Aiming to do 3 more tonight and hope these are helpful heart.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: The film is about a struggling single mom of three children, Joy Mangano, who invented the "Miracle Mop" and is the President of Ingenious Designs, LLC.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Best Director (David O'Russell), Best Actress (Jennifer Lawrence), Best Supporting Actor (Robert DeNiro, Edgar Ramirez (may be going lead), Bradley Cooper (reportedly a cameo though), Best Supporting Actress (Isabella Rosselini), Best Original Screenplay, Best Costume Design, Best Editing
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 61% (22, 14). Top Critics: 69% (9, 4)
Critics Consensus: N/A

BOX OFFICE:
Not opening till Christmas Day (USA), 1/1/16 (UK)
UK- N/A
US-
International-

Why It Might Succeed: Hype is very big on this and the few people who have seen it have praised it heavily. David O'Russell is on a role with Silver Linings Playbook/American Hustle/The other one I can't remember and Jennifer Lawrence looks to give another fantastic performance which should result in another nomination for her!
Why It Might Not Succeed: There is a small chance the film could turn out to be bad and struggle with nominations. Also could be more of a big box office hit rather than an Oscar contender

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (should do well, Jennifer seems like a lock again!)
Buzzjack's Reviews:
N/A

Hope you like this. Also remember to contribute any reviews if you want to?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 16 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: It follows Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy), who joins forces with Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) to flee from cult leader Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne) and his army in an armoured tanker truck, which leads to a lengthy road battle.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Best Director (George Miller), Best Actress (Charlize Theron), Best Original Screenplay, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Editing, Best Make-Up/Hairstyling, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects, Best Original Score
Distributor: Warner Bros

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 97% (321, 10). Top Critics: 97% (35, 1)
Critics Consensus: With exhilarating action and a surprising amount of narrative heft, Mad Max: Fury Road brings George Miller's post-apocalyptic franchise roaring vigorously back to life.

BOX OFFICE:
UK- Again a gigantic success opening with £4.5M and finishing on around a £20M total to be one of the biggest hits of the year.
US- Gigantic hit. Opened with a fantastic $45M and finished with a great legs to $153M which is fantastic for a film with such a bad development hell. Had very good holds against many big blockbusters
International- Once again fantastic, big numbers in South Korea/Japan/Australia/Russia etc

Why It Might Succeed: This has been praised from practically everybody that has seen the movie and this has received so much internet hype to be ignored. Also Charlize Theron's role has been repeatedly praised as one of the best of the year.
Why It Might Not Succeed: It's a summer blockbuster. The academy rarely go for blockbusters let alone ones released in the summer so that's why I think it will struggle in the main categories unfortunately.

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (probably just technical categories but hoping Charlize can sneak in!)
Buzzjack's Reviews (A LOT!!):
Jonjo: This was INSANE! Pretty much from start to finish. Not usually a fan of the violent, post apocalyptic, free world sort of stuff (usually they lack substance and just use violence for the sake of violence) but in this they used it well and used it to it's advantage. Often OTT, but not too off putting and a surprising amount of plot and purpose to the story! Highly recommended! Also a VISUAL TREAT. So aesthetically pleasing. Stunning shots all throughout!
Hadji: Just seen it. Thought it was absolutely brilliant.
Joe: Fantastic. Worked on so many levels. Feminist banger. Tom , Nick and Charlize were all outstanding.
PopChartFreak: Enjoyed it the cast were good the dialogue minimal. All about the action and design really backed up with special effects. Not exactly heart-warming though and not much on banter. 6/10
Frank!: Absolutely LOVED this. Visually stunning and entertaining throughout. Lets face it though, based on the plot, this should have been called Mad Furiosa, especially since Charlize stole the show.
Severin: I think generally speaking people need to calm down a bit with this one. It's very good but repeated viewings and time will highlight it's weaknesses. For example Tom Hardy/Max - I didn't think he was anywhere near as good as Gibson in the role (and it is, frankly, impossible not to make comparisons). He lacked presence and it could easily have been a different character (Max Rockatansky Jr? I could buy that). There was virtually zero character arc for him too and the film needed to decide whether we should have a back story or not rather than some half hearted attempt at it. Yeah, he softened mildly over the 2 hours but that was it. The script was poor and the plot was almost non existent and worse still it was really predictable all the way through the film. I did like the so-called 'feminist agenda' even if it was rather thinly veiled but they spoiled it a bit by having the wives a bit too much like supermodels. It's a tad overlong and sags a little during any scenes that aren't action based. On the plus side however, the cinematography and production design are exceptional and I can see Oscar talk at some point but it'll fail due to genre prejudices. The costume designer also deserves recognition for exemplary work. Charlize Theron steals the show throughout the movie and the action sequences are among the very best committed to celluloid particularly with almost no CGI use. All in all a fabulous popcorn/boozy night in movie that I will watch again and for sure, but not too often. Better than the third and maybe the 1st, but not the 2nd.
Jahq: Visually good but on the whole I didn't really 'get' it. Too much action and not enough plot/dialogue and I didn't know what was going on all the time. Don't entirely see what all the hype is about from critics. laugh.gif It was OK but not something I'd choose to watch a second time.
Insomnio: "Mad Max: Fury Road" is definitely one of the most exciting adventures I've ever seen on the big screen! The protagonist of the film is Tom Hardy, who is considered a worthy replacement for Mel Gibson while Charlize Theron was the one who impersonated Furiosa and she was perfectly suited for her role. The new chapter of Mad Max had also excellent cinematography, atmospheric photography and very loud soundtrack. "Mad Max: Fury Road" has a very meticulous production, in which many factors worked in order to come out a perfect result. "Mad Max: Fury Road" is already one of my favorite films this year! It had consecutive scenes actions to such an extent that you cannot get bored even one minute. The leading pair was one of the best for these kinds of movies, which played an important role in the overall result.
Ultraviolence1989: Absolutely adored this movie so much! Saw it in an outside cinema and it was incredibly fun! The acting was so good, especially Charlize Theron who stole the show as Furiousa and the action was so fun, I also liked the story heart.gif What a fun film and easily one of my favourites this year. 10/10

Hope you like this. Also remember to contribute any reviews if you want to?!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 16 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I can see 'Mad Max' getting quite a few of the technical/special FX awards. Deservedly so too. Such a beautifully shot film!

Excited for 'Joy' too. Adored 'Silver Linings...' so hopefully this has the same heart and depth as that.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 17 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

*Favourite To Win Best Picture At The Moment*

Brief Synopsis: A series of abuse cases alerted the attention of the Boston Globe and, when they started digging, they had no idea how big a scandal they would stumble upon.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Best Director (Thomas McCarthy), Best Supporting Actor (Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo), Best Supporting Actress (Rachel McAdams), Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing
Distributor: Open Road Films

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 97% (168, 5). Top Critics: 93% (28, 2)
Critics Consensus: Spotlight gracefully handles the lurid details of its fact-based story while resisting the temptation to lionize its heroes, resulting in a drama that honors the audience as well as its real-life subjects.

BOX OFFICE:
UK- Opens in January.
US- Absolutely gigantic numbers in limited release. Averages of 59k and 22k and earned $1.3M this week in really limited release! Should expand very well at this rate. Had a very similar 2nd weekend average/gross wise to last years best picture winner Birdman ohmy.gif
International- Not really opened anywhere yet.

Why It Might Succeed: Reviews are fantastic and hype is big. Favourite to win best picture at the moment and strong box office numbers so far in limited release.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Early hype could fade, could struggle to expand well at the box office and it's from a small studio so can it compete with the high profile movies from the big studios.

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (a lot of nominations including a good shot at winning best picture!)
Buzzjack's Reviews (None yet!):

Hope you like this. Also remember to contribute any reviews, information or predictions if you want to?!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 17 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon
'Spotlight' is one of my most anticipated films of the awards season. Such an interesting story to cover and I really hope it delivers and doesn't do a 'Foxcatcher' and completely underwhelm!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 17 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #12
Group icon
c:
Back to Brooklyn, hope Gleeson comes nowhere near to a nom, compared to Cohen he had no interesting qualities, wit or charm and was just totally boring, was questioning why she'd even want to stay in Ireland apart from the good job.

Excited to see Spotlight 'cause it does look like an interesting plot, worried about it not being shown in a nearby cinema though. Same goes for stuff like Trumbo, Youth and Room where I'm worried they're not going to be big enough releases.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 21 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: Stars Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel as best friends who reflect on their lives while vacationing in the Swiss Alps. It is a story of the eternal struggle between age and youth, the past and the future, life and death, commitment and betrayal.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Actor (Michael Caine), Best Supporting Actor (Harvey Keitel), Best Supporting Actress (Jane Fonda, Rachel Weisz), Best Original Screenplay
Distributor: Fox Searchlight (USA), Studio Canal (UK)

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 71% (62, 25). Top Critics: 70% (19, 8)
Critics Consensus: Gorgeously filmed and beautifully acted, Youth offers an enticing -- albeit flawed -- opportunity to witness an impressive array of seasoned veterans combining their cinematic might.

BOX OFFICE:
UK- Opens in January.
US- Opens in December.
International- Did well in Italy when opened earlier this year.

Why It Might Succeed: Great reviews and an all star cast.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Not much buzz, could get lost in the race.

Current Predictions: TBA. Will post later when I do predictions (not sure this will get anything at the moment!)
Buzzjack's Reviews (None yet!):

Hope you like this. Also remember to contribute any reviews, information or predictions (box office or Oscar) if you want to?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 21 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Also out of interest is there any movies on the list in the 1st post you would want me to do first/before other movies? smile.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 21 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #15
Group icon
c:
I'd personally like to see write-ups on films that are already out first so there's more to discuss (so Suffragette, The Martian, Inside Out, Sicario, Steve Jobs etc.) then the one's that are out soon (like Black Mass, Bridge of Spies, Carol etc.)! Loving this so far though, Youth is on my watchlist when it comes out,

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 22 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(Josh. @ Nov 21 2015, 07:54 PM) *
I'd personally like to see write-ups on films that are already out first so there's more to discuss (so Suffragette, The Martian, Inside Out, Sicario, Steve Jobs etc.) then the one's that are out soon (like Black Mass, Bridge of Spies, Carol etc.)! Loving this so far though, Youth is on my watchlist when it comes out,

OK sure will do that then! Jahq will be doing Inside Out and I'll do either The Martian or Steve Jobs next!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 29 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Will continue with this next week as have so many tests at the moment smile.gif

Will probably add Anomalisa & Creed to this as both are starting to pick up strong buzz!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 5 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #18
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Looking for what songs will be nominated for Best Soundtrack Song biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Dec 5 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
c:
Hmm, I reckon maybe See You Again and Love Me Like You Do have the best chances? The former winning would be yet another lovely tribute.

Lots of mainstream songs like Earned It, Writing's on the Wall, Flashlight, Towards the Sun, Phenomenal, Better When I'm Dancin could be nominated but they like less mainstream stuff too so maybe we'll only get one or two.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Dec 7 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
Just watched Danish Girl...I hope it gets some recognition, it was so beautiful and so emotional :sniff:

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 AM