BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> thank u, next vs 7 rings
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
thank u, next vs 7 rings
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
JosephBoone
post May 19 2019, 03:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Two huge smashes, but there's a couple of questions above. Which do you prefer, and which do you think had the biggest worldwide impact? I'm not necessarily talking about sales or weeks at #1, but all-round impact, including social media.

I prefer 7 rings personally, though I do love TUN as well. I'd say the latter has more impact though - I still hear people saying "thank u, next" even in real life. 7 rings was pretty hot on the meme scene too, particularly the "relatable" versions of the song that everyone was posting at the time. TUN will likely be more remembered as time goes on and I think it paved the way for 7 rings to have such a massive opening week on both sides of the Atlantic, but both are absolutely massive of course.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post May 19 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Prefer thank u, next and it's definitely had the bigger impact of the two I'd say!

I never really got the hype for 7 rings, and although I'll happily go back and listen to it a fair bit now, it's far from her best. sad.gif

+Quote this post
post May 19 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I prefer TUN and I love 7 Rings too and bop hard, but it's low key trash and Thank U Next is a beautifully written pop song. It made me emotional the first time I heard it.

TUN clearly had a bigger impact too. I actually think it'll always be Ariana's biggest hit now.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post May 19 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
lol.

7 rings is the better song for me, although it got "old" (I hate that word) quite quickly. There's no denying thank u, next had more cultural impact though, the hype for the video was massive

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post May 19 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
I definitely prefer 7 Rings

thank u, next was bigger culturally

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 19 2019, 04:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
7 Rings easily from those 2.

This post has been edited by dobbo: May 19 2019, 04:04 PM

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post May 19 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
7 Rings for one I prefer but thank you next had the bigger impact for sure <3

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post May 19 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
Tricky question as both had a massive impact. I think Thank U Next will be remembered better and was arguably bigger in the public eye when it was at #1 versus 7 Rings. As for my own opinion, both songs are neck and neck! 7 Rings was way more instant but TUN kept growing so I have a feeling that might be my favourite in the long run.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post May 19 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #9
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089
Adore both of them but thank u, next for both heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 19 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
My favourite of the two is definitely '7 rings'! It was extremely instant and soon shot into my top 3 favourite Ariana songs. I was worried about it being gimmicky when I heard about what the interpolation was, but it somehow worked so well. I wasn't actually sure about 'thank u, next' at first but it turned out to be a real grower and the video is a highlight of her career due to the fun factor, despite some shoddy editing in places. Okay I'm biased, 'Mean Girls' is my favourite film.

I did vote for 'thank u, next' in terms of impact though. The memes were insane from the day it premiered, from the title itself to the "one taught me love, one taught me patience and one taught me pain..." ones with humorous images alongside. Aside from that, it was also a huge talking point in a more emotional sense due to the name-dropping of her exes. The Malcolm line particularly hits hard. Then the hype for the video was out of this world - she nailed that with all of the promo leading up to the video. I do think there was probably a little too much revealed beforehand though so it wasn't really a surprise at all when watching it. But she sure got the world talking and that was clever. I feel like '7 rings' has had its fair share of impact too though. Like Joseph said, there was a big 'relatable' twist on the lyrics on social media. "You like my hair? Gee thanks, just washed it" for instance. She really knows how to craft quotable songs for our generation!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post May 19 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
7 rings is definitely the better song for me but thank u, next undoubtedly had the bigger cultural impact.

I do have a feeling 7 rings might be better remembered in the long run though? I'm not sure why, but I just see it having more endurance and lasting impact.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 19 2019, 11:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
tu,n x2 for me.

Although I prefer at least 5 other tracks from the album over both of these!

In terms of "impact" I think, although 7R was huge in it's own right, the fact tu,n was the first new single, 4 months after an album release and was a behemoth of a hit, the cultural relevance of that song was just huge. Especially because of the video!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 20 2019, 12:39 AM
Post #13
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
I would say 'thank u, next' is my fave, but it's not too far ahead! I really love both. As for cultural, I'd say tu,n has the edge there too.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post May 20 2019, 01:44 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
I really couldn't decide which I preferred, depends on my mood completely! However my streams for thank u, next are much higher, so I picked that.

thank u, next definitely had a huge cultural impact, I still often hear people are quoting it, whilst I feel 7 rings is kind of referred to "That song that copies the Sound of Music."

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post May 20 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
Very close between them but I just about went for 'Thank U, Next' for both questions.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 20 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I prefer '7 Rings;, but 'Thank U, Next' had way bigger impact. It's became such a widely used catchphrase now.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post May 22 2019, 10:25 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

thank u, next I’ll admit was a grower though where as 7 rings was very instant. I probably listen to 7 rings the most of the two.

Culturally thank u, next I think will be more remembered.

But NTLTC and One Last Time id say are her signature songs inpaticular One Last Time especially in the UK.

However whenever I go out to bars and clubs I hear 7 rings more than I do thank u, next but I guess that’s because it’s the bigger party / anthem of the two.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:05 PM