BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> X ● album discussion, 10th album ● 2007
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 2007's X.

1. 2 Hearts
2. Like a Drug
3. In My Arms
4. Speakerphone
5. Sensitized
6. Heart Beat Rock
7. The One
8. No More Rain
9. All I See
10. Stars
11. Wow
12. Nu-di-ty
13. Cosmic
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Worst first single, I hate wow, The One should have been single 1 or 2 and I actually really like All I see

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

There are some great qualities from X but it has a disconnected sound that leaves the album patchy and directionless.
It houses some unexpected great songs mixed with songs that leaves you wondering how they ever got album selection.
The One, Wow and Like A Drug are Kylie classics.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 8th May 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

I actually REALLY like this album although I didn’t appreciate it enough at the time due to the horrendous choice of lead single drama.gif (And to be honest ‘Wow’ wasn’t great either but a vast improvement on the lead!).

Still remember ‘Wow’ being stuck in the 20s region of the charts for ages until her XF performance boosted it. Considering the tragic lead single the album is home to 2 of my ultimate favourites - In My Arms & The One wub.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 11:18 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I loved wows chart run, took a few weeks to peak and stayed in the charts for ages, I've always liked wow and still do.I think the one in her fanbase is universally loved and prob would be the same to many others if it was the lead single. In my arms I had mixed feelings about but have got to appreciate it more in the last while but like a drug is much better than it, I was so disappointed when I heard in my arms was 3rd single as I was fully expecting like a drug or the one and I kinda resented it for that. Its def her stand out album for totally getting the singles wrong.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 8th May 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I think this is possibly her best album. There are a couple of duds on it (Nu-di-ty for example) but everything else is above par for her I think, I really liked 2 Hearts as a comeback single so I'm against the tide somewhat on this and always liked The One and In My Arms - Wow I didn't really care for at the time but it's grown on me now. Album tracks wise, Like a Drug and Speakerphone are two of my absolute favourites from her.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(___∆___ @ May 8 2020, 11:45 AM) *
Still remember ‘Wow’ being stuck in the 20s region of the charts for ages until her XF performance boosted it. Considering the tragic lead single the album is home to 2 of my ultimate favourites - In My Arms & The One wub.gif

Her X Factor performance is what made it enter at #32, could you mean her BRITs performance?

The handling of 'Wow' as a single was clearly really successful for Parlophone! Using the X Factor final as a chance to promote a song that has a classic Kylie feel was a great way to kick off the campaign, then radio quickly took to it which helped keep it stable in the chart, then video release shortly before a big impact week of a BRITs performance and the physical release. It all just came together really well and gave Kylie her best performing post-album single in the digital age. Probably the only 2007 onwards single they didn't mess up in some way! laugh.gif

Here are the chart runs for the official chart, radio and TV:

32-28-43-29-27-26-22-20-18-05-05-11-17-21-25 Sales
00-48-43-14-06-04-03-02-03-03-02-08-22-33-45 Radio
00-00-00-00-00-00-00-06-01-01-02-05-10-16-24 TV

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

What frustrated me with X was kylie had everyone behind her with her cancer battle, everyone was willing her on to beat it and there was a genuine goodwill and joy when she overcame cancer and announced her comeback. Myself included when I heard 2 hearts I was like I really want to get behind kylie more than ever but for the comeback it was it didnt have the hallmark of a great pop Kylie song and I think alot of people felt that way. I think people who didnt necessarily follow kylie had a small interest in seeing her back in the limelight after what she had gone through and 2 hearts didnt help connect people with that emotional return.
Wow I think could have done that as the lead single it was pop, it was fun and also very Kylie and its success and the way it was handled shows that. If the one was the lead single I honestly think Kylie could have had one hell of a return to the spotlight and the song would have been huge and that song connects you to kylie when you listen to it. It hallmark kylie and so radio friendly so they messed up badly by not going that route. X isnt a bad album at all, it has some great songs but I just think it was handled badly in many parts.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love '2 Hearts' and from a personal preference I do think it works as a lead single, but it clearly wasn't the case for the majority. 'The One' was exactly what people would have wanted, I can't believe they neglected that!

I had a look back through the forum and the hype for new Kylie music was huge, especially when about 5 songs leaked in full around early Summer 2007. 'In My Arms' was one of them and seemed to be regarded as the best. A press release confirming '2 Hearts' and its release date was announced in September 2007, then the song and video premiered on 10 October. From early summer to October, that's a long time of hype building up only to be totally undone by a song people were disappointed by.

I don't think it ever recovered from that, even if people did start warming to it. It got good radio and TV support yet it could only achieve a #4 peak when it was a big #1 contender (I don't think she'd have achieved #1 anyway given 'Bleeding Love' was still reigning at #1 with 74k that week, but #2 should have been achieved with some ease). It did start off at #2 on the Tuesday and Wednesday mids, but slipped to #3 on Thursday and #4 on Friday.

I'd definitely have had 'The One' released instead. I think it should have been released about a month earlier and the album released to coincide with her ITV show, although that would have put her at more direct competition with 'Bleeding Love' (I did notice that October 22 got 'confirmed' on a website during my look back of the threads, which was when 'Bleeding Love' got released, so maybe it got pushed back).

I was reading on another forum that, although it would have been a relatively new concept back then, Kylie's team should have shown some initiative and responded to the 5 song leak in the Summer by releasing 'In My Arms' there and then as a download-only. A bit of a buzz single ahead of the proper comeback later in the year. They only ended up messing up its release as third single by having it impact in some countries when 'Wow' was impacting in the UK and other territories, so why not make it available when the buzz was high.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The minute people heard the one they fell in love with it, there was a big buzz around it so the decision to ignore that was costly. The leak prob did do damage but as you said they should have responded to it, in my arms didnt have a great chart run either and the momentum was losing fast around then. 2 hearts does have its fans but i think as an albun only track it would be liked alot more today than it is. I can give kylie credit for 2 hearts in that she once again came back with something no one was expecting and its in some ways a unique single as it doesnt really sound like any of her other singles. 2 hearts was probably the singles that was needed for Impossible princess and it wouldnt too much out place on that album either.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 8th May 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

2 Hearts was the wrong song to lead this album and it's performance supports this.
A strong album track is where it should have been left.
X is a daring album and provides some great Kylie moments with great electro pop sounds but the tinge of r&b on tracks like All I See leave parts of the album underwhelming.
There is some sound continuity from Body Language on the album which isn't necessarily a positive comment.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 9th May 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #12
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

This would be my X tracklist (revised again), & think that this would have been far better received than it was =

1. Magnetic Electric
2. Like A Drug
3. In My Arms
4. Speakerphone
5. Sensitized
6. The One
7. Sexual Gold
8. Rippin' Up The Disco
9. Cherry Bomb
10. Wow
11. Lose Control
12. Stars
13. Do It Again
14. Ruffle My Feathers
15. Carried Away
16. White Diamond

Singles Run
The One
Wow
In My Arms
Like A Drug

Speakerphone [USA Release]

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 9th May 2020, 08:07 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 9th May 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I honestly think 2 Hearts did okay, ten weeks top 40 is pretty good for a Kylie single. I don’t think that killed the album, I think the Body Language era killed it before X even began. She would have had to have something absolutely killer to bring the casual fans back after Body Language alienated them all.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 9th May 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Body language did alienate fans but some of those could have brought back with a better lead than 2 hearts.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 9th May 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 9 2020, 10:30 PM) *
I honestly think 2 Hearts did okay, ten weeks top 40 is pretty good for a Kylie single. I don’t think that killed the album, I think the Body Language era killed it before X even began. She would have had to have something absolutely killer to bring the casual fans back after Body Language alienated them all.

I remember all the hype and pre-release build up to ‘2 Hearts’ and I was so ready for it and then I heard it huh.gif

I’ll try and dig out the Parlophone press release for ‘2 Hearts’ from my collection - it’s like they were announcing the 2nd coming laugh.gif I’m sure it also claimed it would be a sure fire #1.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 9th May 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

They did say a sure fire number 1 but the press were so behind her with the return. Was the one ever even rumoured to be tbe lead single,?

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 9th May 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Body Language had absolutely no impact on X, I believe in you and the greatest hits still did well, wow did well, I do think 2hearts is what killed momentum for the album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 9th May 2020, 10:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I believe in you is lead single material and only missed number 1 as it was up against band aid but ya the kylie popularity recovered well throughout ultimate kylie which became her 4th and most recent million seller. X needed this type of successful lead single.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 10th May 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I think the fact that there was a 49 song demo disc for this album floating around says it all - it's like they spent too much time on it and ended up with an album that just feels like a bunch of tracks thrown together. Mind you, some very good tracks and possibly some of the best of Kylie's career, but it really doesn't feel like a body of work like say Light Years, Fever, Aphrodite and yes, even Body Language.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 10th May 2020, 10:11 AM
Post #20
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My X review =

2 Hearts
We get our first taste of this new album in the form of its lead single, and yes its something very different, more pop/rock than anything Kylie's ever done before, very quirky with a deep chorus and can take some getting used to and as an opening track it feels at odds with the rest of the album as it doesn't really set the tone. But on a positive note its great seeing Kylie so alive and vibrant again.

Like A Drug
Now this is more like it, mixing intense dance bass with some real intense beats and high register of voice. Feeling more like we're in familiar territory with some pop/dance Kylie and its simply sublime, as well as beginning the album properly and the sensuality in the song is really intoxicating and WHY wasn't this a single, at the very least it would have SMASHED...

In My Arms
The synths, the glorious electronic energy fill your head with blazing vibes and abundance of sounds that coat you in joyous ecstasy. Along with Kylie's commanding vocals and Calvin Harris's cool production, we are guided through three and a half minutes of pure pop perfection. A fantastic single choice.

Speakerphone
Some more electronica here, its another fresh new sound to this already growing number of pop/dance tracks. Another strong track here and in my opinion would have made a better lead single for the U.S. market.

Sensitized
A slight change now, with a groovy dance tune and some funky R&B tones on this rather okay/decent number where Kylie vibrates with every verse and chorus. This track has grown on me through time and its quite fun.

Heart Beat Rock
Some more funky dance now which has that cheerleader chant vibe to it with some hot stuttering beats and some more decent production by Calvin Harris.

The One
Probably the best track on here as this commands and stands high above its surroundings. With this one song, Kylie was back. It’s familiar, it’s comforting and above all it’s Kylie at her absolute best. Angelgic and power vocals dominate the final minute of this four minute epic. This should have been the lead single and could/would have given Kylie her 8th #1, pure pop perfection.

No More Rain
The tone goes down with this rather personal number that shimmers and radiates with class and style. Okay it doesn't really fit here but its still really good and emotional.

All I See
This would be the R&B attempt on the album with this very low key number, and while it does have a rather nice groove to it and Kylie's vocals are smooth and soothing. This doesn't fit at all and maybe one of the many fabulous B-Sides would have fitted better.

Stars
Back to the more familiar chilled dance/pop sound now with this gorgeous laid back track that has a really nice rhythm to it.

Wow
Definitely one of the best tracks on here with the rush of synths that opens the first verse to the almighty fun chorus that just bursts with so much life and energy, and also a great example of updating a pop song with 21st century glitz.

Nu-Di-Ty
Blunt and straight to the point on this very experimental song that feels very mechanic and rigid. But at the very least its short and doesn't leave a lasting impression.

Cosmic
Closing the standard edition on a very soulful note, heartfelt, wistful and quite touching. But not one of the better moments on here and quite bland in my opinion.

Rippin' Up The Disco
The CD-Rom bonus track comes in the form of this futuristic mix of bass driven music, and this should have been included on the main edition as it would have been more than welcome.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 10th May 2020, 10:12 AM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 30th April 2024, 09:18 PM