BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Will we ever have a footballer come out, Jake Daniels comes out
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 28th February 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Just got me thinking, in my mind.

Do you think we will ever have a footballer who plays in the top four divisions of the English Football League come out?

There are currently no footballers in the top four tiers of English football who are gay at all.

I think only Thomas Hitzlsperger is the only openly gay footballer who has played in the Premier League.

And also the tragedy of Justin Fashanu who become the first professional footballer to come out as openly gay.

Is it still a taboo subject?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 28th February 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 28 2018, 09:04 PM) *
Just got me thinking, in my mind.

Do you think we will ever have a footballer who plays in the top four divisions of the English Football League come out?

There are currently no footballers in the top four tiers of English football who are gay at all.

I think only Thomas Hitzlsperger is the only openly gay footballer who has played in the Premier League.

Is it still a taboo subject?

Justin Fashanu was the only gay top flight footballer to come out whilst still playing, although his story didn't have a very happy ending.

I'm sure there will be a top flight footballer who comes out within the next few years, although I imagine it'll be one whose career is already on the wane who may hope that doing so will help to keep his career going - the first one to come out will be showered with literally all the praise, glory, and yes, all the money. (As well as a lot of abuse as well, unfortunately).

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 28th February 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon

Unfortunately there will be an awful lot of abuse from fans when it happens.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 28th February 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

It must happen eventually, although I have a feeling the first will be a footballer who's 'outed' before they're comfortable with that information being public which would be pretty sad but I'm sure would make big headlines. I can't see the football community becoming any less homophobic until players do face the fire and eventually it'll become more normal - it just needs to be a big discussion point in the eye of the GP before attitudes start changing I believe.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 28th February 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I hope it does't happen because a player is about to be outed by the press. It has to happen because a player thinks that is the right thing to do.

It is inconceivable that there are no gay players in the premier league. It is even more inconceivable that there are none in the other three divisions. Many players must know that they have at least one gay team-mate and many gay players must surely know about others at other clubs. Therefore, it may need one of two things. Either a player comes out with a number of team-mates saying something along the lines of "Of course I knew, but so what?" or a group of players from a number of different teams coming out collectively.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 2nd February 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon

BUMP

When do you think this will happen?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd February 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #7
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(ukchartstatsfan @ Feb 2 2019, 04:21 PM) *
BUMP

When do you think this will happen?

I still think we're ages away from a current Premier League footballer coming out. Football fans have no mercy, I mean look at all of the racism stuff that's happened this year. It's only a few in the minority, but this is what makes the news. Rightly so, I suspect players are advised not to do so. There have long been rumours about certain players - I supect once a couple retire they will probably 'come out'. But I'd be shocked if something happened in isolation, I think it would require several at once to come out.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 16th May 2022, 07:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Not sure if this deserves a new thread but what a brave teenager coming out as gay in professional football

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/16/jake-...ball-blackpool/

Hoping Jake Daniels won't be subject to horrible abuse smile.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th May 2022, 08:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon

I hope and trust things will be better for Jake Daniels than they were for Justin (RIP)

+Quote this post
Smint
post 16th May 2022, 09:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Great news - and I think despite my reservations that things are going bad for LGBT people in the UK generally he'll be ok. Fact he did it at age 17 shows intense bravery.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 16th May 2022, 10:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

The interview was remarkable. He seemed slightly nervous but also had a quiet confidence about him

I want him to have a successful career, but more than anything I want him to have a happy career. What happened to Justin Fashanu should not happen again

Interestingly, a lot of social media related to it has had its comments switched off/restricted. I assume that has been done deliberately to allow his coming out to run smoother.

I don’t mind going to watch football matches, but one thing I really hate is the offensive/childish/pathetic chants. I really hope this doesn’t happen to Jake but I fear it will only be a matter of time. Saying that he pretty much said he wouldn’t be phased by it

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:58 AM