BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Female R&B/hip-hop the next big trend in music?, a discussion~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 15th October 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

As we all know, music trends come in cycles. It seems like a while since we've had urban females properly breaking out but over the past month alone the likes of Cardi B, Stefflon Don, Mabel and others starting to make quite a splash. On a night out yesterday they played most of these songs were played and it seems like the tide is changing to a more female dominated landscape.

Who else could be set to get a hit in this field? Is this going to be the trend that takes over from guitar-ballads/generic dance/whatever else we've been saturated with recently? I, for one, am TOTALLY HERE FOR IT. *.*

DISCUSS~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th October 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I think this can definitely happen! Urban music in general is taking over the charts thanks to its popularity on streaming, and we've already seen the likes of Kendrick, Stormzy, Future, Drake and of course Post Malone at the moment benefit hugely. However, it seems songs like Hurtin' Me and Finders Keepers are popular across both formats - sales and streaming - so could have wider appeal!

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 15th October 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

I think it's an exaggeration to say females are taking over urban music - I think only Beyoncé, Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are on the same level as the leading males of the genre. And the biggest names of the moment are still male (Drake, Skepta, Stormzy, Kendrick, J Hus, Future, Post Malone etc).

However, I am pleased more females are getting success while making urban music. Stefflon Don was always someone who looked poised to crossover in a big way, while on the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if Cardi B was a one hit wonder. I'd add the likes of Jorja Smith, Ray BLK and RAYE as urban females who could have big success while sticking to making urban music. Also a shame that M.O. have seemingly collapsed because Dance On My Own, Preach and Who Do You Think Of? were all solid. It's when these artists try and make straight pop music that I switch off. On that note, I've heard Stefflon Don's next single features Skepta which is very promising.

To answer the post, I wouldn't mind seeing more urban females crossover but only if they remember their roots. Songs like 'Hurtin Me' and 'Finders Keepers' are great at being both commercial and credible and that's the trick I think.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 15th October 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

I think we're a long way from female R&B/hip-hop dominating but we're definitely making the steps in that direction. A lot of the names mlhammer said (i.e. Stefflon, Jorja, RAY BLK, RAYE are all names who I'd expect have a good chance of breaking through). It's nice to see "Hurtin' Me" really becoming huge and hopefully it will set up Stefflon nicely to continue to become bigger!

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th October 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I am totally here for more female urban hits. I wouldn't call it a domination just yet though, the urban field will always be male dominated I think anyway.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th October 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I was actually think just last night how urban music seems to be becoming the next big thing. I was out last night when the likes of 'Congratulations' and 'XO Tour Llif3' were playing on the jukebox and people my age are really into it and know all the lyrics. It's definitely very male-orientated at the moment but I do think female artists will start breaking through as well. Unfortunately, the likes of 'Bodak Yellow', 'Finders Keepers' and 'Hurtin' Me' aren't appealing to me at all. The latter two are just quite bland whilst the former has no redeeming features at all. I'm not crazy over the male hip-hop songs either but I can certainly see the appeal and why they're catching on.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th October 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I'm really hoping Jessie Reyez can get a hit soon! She has a really interesting sound/voice and I think given the right song, should could breakthrough in a pretty big way!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 15th October 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

I was actually think just last night how urban music seems to be becoming the next big thing

I wouldn't say urban is becoming the next big thing, I would say it already is the dominant trend at the minute, 19 songs in the UK top 40 this week are urban and the majority of songs in the US Billboard Hot 100 are too. The UK chart is certainly almost as urban dominated now as in 2009, although nowhere near as enjoyable for me as the production is so minimal and 'underground' sounding in urban these days.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 15th October 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(The Burbadook @ Oct 15 2017, 02:59 PM) *
RAYE

The Line was amazing, should have been a big hit in the UK.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 15th October 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The fact that these urban chart hits do sound 'underground' is something to be celebrated surely? It's much better than rappers were doing dance-pop songs with David Guetta.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th October 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(HissingSparkler @ Oct 15 2017, 09:16 PM) *
I wouldn't say urban is becoming the next big thing, I would say it already is the dominant trend at the minute, 19 songs in the UK top 40 this week are urban and the majority of songs in the US Billboard Hot 100 are too. The UK chart is certainly almost as urban dominated now as in 2009, although nowhere near as enjoyable for me as the production is so minimal and 'underground' sounding in urban these days.

That's true, I just mean instead of seeing sleeper hits and long running hits with low peaks like the aforementioned 'Congratulations' and 'XO Tour Llif3', we'll be seeing these sort of songs receive quicker success and be appearing further up the charts. 'rockstar' seems to be the start of this change.

I'm referring to the UK here, too. I'm aware this sort of music has always done well in the US.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 15th October 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Oct 15 2017, 09:23 PM) *
The fact that these urban chart hits do sound 'underground' is something to be celebrated surely? It's much better than rappers were doing dance-pop songs with David Guetta.

Yes but I do like more maximal productions in urban music (We Own It (Fast and Furious) was a favourite of mine back when it was released for example and I still really like it), the productions just sound very minimal and dull these days.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 15th October 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(HissingSparkler @ Oct 15 2017, 09:27 PM) *
Yes but I do like more maximal productions in urban music (We Own It (Fast and Furious) was a favourite of mine back when it was released for example and I still really like it), the productions just sound very minimal and dull these days.

'Slide' is my favourite song of the year and that has a maximal production. Or something like 'Big For Your Boots'.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 15th October 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

It's not a domination, yes, but I'm with Bal I don't think I've seen this many female led R&B hits in a while!

I think Nicki Minaj, Rihanna & Beyoncé could all come back bigger than ever (if Beyoncé does Spotify anyway). I think if M.O. ever get their arses into gear, they could get a hit with a more R&B leaning hit like 'Who Do You Think Of'. I also think Stefflon, Cardi & Mabel will continue to just get bigger and bigger.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 16th October 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jack @ Oct 15 2017, 11:21 PM) *
It's not a domination, yes, but I'm with Bal I don't think I've seen this many female led R&B hits in a while!

I think Nicki Minaj, Rihanna & Beyoncé could all come back bigger than ever (if Beyoncé does Spotify anyway). I think if M.O. ever get their arses into gear, they could get a hit with a more R&B leaning hit like 'Who Do You Think Of'. I also think Stefflon, Cardi & Mabel will continue to just get bigger and bigger.

Rihanna has been the best at adapting to the current trend for dancehall-influenced urban with Work and Wild Thoughts being two of the biggest hits of recent years and I do think the Lemonade album would have done even better in the chart with Spotify backing. 'Sorry' had more impact than many of the Top 10's of 2016.

I agree Stefflon Don will be huge - this time next year I reckon she'll be one of the biggest stars in UK music.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 16th October 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Females dominating urban would be refreshing to see I think.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:55 PM