BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ALBUM COVERS QUIZ - THE RESULTS, Results on p3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mangø
post 1st March 2021, 10:37 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Adam & The Ants - Kings Of The Wild Frontier

Up next is the second album by the 80s fashion icon that is Stuart Goddard and his team of ants.

Correct guesses: 19/27

Florence + The Machine - Lungs

Another album that I've featured previously in an Album Covers quiz, 'Lungs' seems to have caught quite a few people out.

Correct guesses: 18/27

The Darkness - Permisson To Land

This cheeky album cover belonged to The Darkness for their debut album 'Permission To Land'.

Correct guesses: 21/27

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

And now we arrive at what is basically THE best album ever recorded *.* obviously an extremely recognisable cover, only one person didn't manage to identify it.

Correct guesses: 26/27

Blur - Parklife

The third of four albums that were correctly guessed by every player!

Correct guesses: 27/27

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st March 2021, 10:38 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'Kings of the Wild Frontier' wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif that was the album that helped me figure out the connection as I was so intrigued by its inclusion laugh.gif

I adore that Oasis album as well, of course.

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 1st March 2021, 10:39 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

QUOTE(Mangø @ Mar 1 2021, 10:37 PM) *

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

And now we arrive at what is basically THE best album ever recorded
*.* obviously an extremely recognisable cover, only one person didn't manage to identify it.

Respect cool.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 1st March 2021, 10:41 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

I was fortunate I only just clocked Florence + The Machine when I listened to a Rabbit Heart as part of AF Idol recently! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 1st March 2021, 10:54 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Adele - 21

And now we have the last of the four albums that were correctly guessed by everyone. Hardly a surprise!

Correct guesses: 27/27

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

This is by far Coldplay's best album!

Correct guesses: 26/27

Dido - No Angel

As debut albums go, this was a pretty good one and most of you managed to identify it.

Correct guesses: 23/27

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The third Arttics album in the quiz and it's still the fastest selling debut album ever, a record that is now unlikely to ever be broken.

Correct guesses: 25/27

Stereo MC's - Connected

And finally we come to the album which was the least correctly guessed, with only 10 of you recognising it. Not surprisingly really, it was probably the most difficult one I included and it's possibly not a very well known album and hasn't sold anywhere near as much as some of the others, despite the fact that it won Best Album at the 1994 Brit Awards. Which leads us on to the connection...

Correct guesses: 10/27

The Connection

So 11 out of the 27 players managed to get the connection.
Some of the incorrect guesses were:
- they were all UK #1 albums (not true e.g. The Manics' 'Everything Must Go' only reached #2)
- they were all albums by British artists (not true: Barbra Streisand and Michael Jackson definitely aren't British)
- they were all UK top 2 albums (even if that's true, it's not specific enough because then you could just say they all reached the top 40!)

The connection was that they all won the British Album of the Year Award at the Brit Awards.

There have been exactly 40 Brit Award ceremonies, starting in 1977 when the when the British Album of the Year Award was won by 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. The next ceremony didn't take place until 5 years later and they have been held annually since. Oddly, 'Memories' and 'Thriller' picked up the awards in 1983 and 1984 respectively despite not being by British artists. I think it may have been something to do with them being the best selling albums of those years.

Well done to the following players for spotting the connection: CianS, vibe, JulianT, Jade, dandy*, StoneDragon, Colm, Riser, Cremey, CJK, LewisGT.

The Album that doesn't fit the Connection

Of course, once you got the connection, it was easy to fill in the blanks and find the album that didn't win the Album of the Year Award, which was 'Hounds Of Love' by Kate Bush (which was nominated in 1986 but lost out to Phil Collins). Everyone who correctly guessed the theme also correctly guessed the album - that is, everyone apart from Riser who obviously failed to do his research and put 'Connected' by the Stereo MC's kink.gif

Incidentally the album that should have been there in place of Kate Bush to complete the set of 40 Brit Awards winning albums is Adele's '25'.

How many albums will be correctly guessed by everyone?

The answer, as we've already seen, is 4 (Ed Sheeran, The Beatles, Blur & Adele) and well done to the THREE people who correctly predicted this for a bonus 3 points!
They are: CianS, Riser and Ansel.

(The most popular answer was 5, which was actually looking like the correct answer right until the end when 'Brothers In Arms' lost a correct guess!)

Which album will be the least correctly guessed?

The least correctly guessed album was #40 ('Connected' by the Stereo MC's) which was correctly predicted by 8 people for a bonus 3 points!
They are: JulianT, Jade, Riser, Cremey, CJK, Bjork, LewisGT and jimwatts.

Which album will be the most correctly guessed?

Everyone went for either Ed Sheeran or Adele here which means everyone picks up 3 bonus points cheer.gif

And that's your lot! Hope you enjoyed taking part, it was fun hosting it. Leaderboard coming shortly smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mangø: 1st March 2021, 10:57 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st March 2021, 10:58 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Alone and wounded

So happy that the connection came to me *.* as I said, the Adam and the Ants inclusion intrigued me so I tried to think about the credentials of that album. At first I remembered that it was the best-selling album of 1981 in the U.K. so I went down that EOY #1 route... however quickly hit a dead end with some of them! Then I remembered that it won a BRIT Award so checked that list of winners and bam - The Beatles, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Dave... had to be *.*

Pleased that I got acceptable answers for most and least guessed albums too, yay!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 1st March 2021, 10:59 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Ah so that’s what the connection was, I didn’t clock that at all. And I would never have got that final album as I’d never seen the cover before! laugh.gif

Thanks Mango as always for a flawless quiz! It’s always appreciated and I enjoyed participating rather than hosting one of these quizzes! biggrin.gif

Congrats everyone who made that connection.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 1st March 2021, 11:00 PM
Post #48
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Oh no! Somehow I must have convinced myself that Hounds Of Love was on the BRIT Awards' winners list, and must have overlooked Stereo MCs...no idea how that happened laugh.gif

Got the other bonuses though, so I'm liking my chances for a good score!

+Quote this post
coi
post 1st March 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

It's great to finally know what the theme is after all that time waiting and wondering laugh.gif and I don't think it was one I was going to get either, my knowledge of Brit Award winners isn't anywhere near good enough for that!

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 1st March 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,005

Ahhh that is a good theme indeed - well done to all those who got it!

You say my Top 2 thing was not specific enough as could say they were all Top 40 but remember there was one odd one out so I thought one of the albums I didn't get had a peak of #3 or lower...

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 1st March 2021, 11:02 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Riser @ Mar 1 2021, 11:00 PM) *
Oh no! Somehow I must have convinced myself that Hounds Of Love was on the BRIT Awards' winners list, and must have overlooked Stereo MCs...no idea how that happened laugh.gif

Got the other bonuses though, so I'm liking my chances for a good score!

You're really going to kick yourself for making that mistake when you see the scores wink.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 1st March 2021, 11:07 PM
Post #52
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Yep, that's the theme I thought it was midway through the results! I hadn't twigged most of the artists were British while doing my answers, but I had noticed almost every album seemed to be a different year, with an exception in 1985 - with one of the albums indeed being Hounds Of Love - although Brothers In Arms is the other one I had, and anyway I didn't think two in a year could leave one odd one out. All makes sense now!

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 1st March 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

And the results are in!

=1 JulianT (94 points)
=1 Jade (94 points)
=1 Cremey (94 points)
=1 CJK (94 points)

=5 Riser (92 points)
=5 LewisGT (92 points)

=7 StoneDragon (91 points)
=7 Colm (91 points)
9 vibe (89 points)
10 dandy* (85 points)
11 Bjork (82 points)
=12 garyfeld (78 points)
=12 Ansel (78 points)
14 awardinary (77 points)
=15 CianS (76 points)
=15 The Hitparade (76 points)
17 chrissmith276 (75 points)
18 DalekTurret32 (67 points)
=19 n4yr (63 points)
=19 jimwatts (63 points)
21 West (59 points)
22 Chez Wombat (49 points)
23 Dot Branning (47 points)
=24 coi (43 points)
=24 PeteFromLeeds (43 points)
26 dan :: G (32 points)
27 donnahjaneymack (26 points)

Well done to JulianT, Jade, Cremey and CJK!

+Quote this post
coi
post 1st March 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Some VERY impressive scores across the board there, huge congrats to all four winners!

And thanks for hosting Mango!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st March 2021, 11:13 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Argh cheeseblock.png what kind of rebound - not even making the top 30 in the last quiz and being a joint winner of this one laugh.gif chuffed with that!

Thank you to Mango for hosting! I thoroughly enjoyed this one *.* congrats to Julian, Cremey and CJK too <3

+Quote this post
Colm
post 1st March 2021, 11:14 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

I was so close to full marks but I changed from Connected to This is My Truth. and I thought 5 albums would be guessed correctly everyone.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 1st March 2021, 11:15 PM
Post #57
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(Mangø @ Mar 1 2021, 06:02 PM) *
You're really going to kick yourself for making that mistake when you see the scores wink.gif
Eh, wasn't expecting a perfect score anyway so I'm okay with 5th laugh.gif

This was a great quiz, nice job! Congrats Julian/Jade/Cremey/CJK for winning biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 1st March 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #58
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Ah yeah, that figures, I wondered if it was a yearly one, but couldn't quite put my finger on when they were released and don't know enough about the BRITs. Starting to think these quizzes aren't quite my bag :') Good round though, I do love a hidden theme!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st March 2021, 11:19 PM
Post #59
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I managed to twig what the theme was partway through reading the results - seems like if you managed to figure that out it would make getting all of the albums somewhat trivial laugh.gif (of course I wouldn't have figured it out myself if I actually did the quiz because I would only have recognised less than half of these)

I would have let down the 100% guess rate for Blur laugh.gif but I would have got the other three that got 100% guess rates at least ~

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 1st March 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

This is only the 4th of these quizzes I’ve done and the 1st I’ve done well in. Thanks Mango for keeping me amused for much of the week and well done Jade, Cremey and CJK!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:50 AM