BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Record industry considering global release day, Friday to become standard release day from July 2015?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post Aug 12 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
Very interesting article from Billboard that I'm sure everyone will be interested in!

Record Industry Considering a Standard, Global Album Release Day

The change was spurred in part by Beyonce's most recent surprise release, as well as piracy from Down Under.

The music industry is on the verge of adopting a global street date that could see all countries issuing new releases on a Friday, probably beginning a year from now, in July 2015, according to industry sources.

While some sources say its a done deal as far as the major labels and the IFPI and RIAA are concerned, other sources insist the issue has yet to be fully decided. The main reason why the industry is moving toward a global street date -- instead of letting each territory pick the day that they feel is best for their respective markets, which is the way it works now -- is to cut down on global piracy.

With Australia now having a Friday street date, digital piracy begins almost immediately around the globe, as the new release is shared across the web before fans in the U.K. (which has a Monday street date) or the U.S. (which has a Tuesday street date) have a chance to purchase the music legally.

With varying street dates in different markets, the labels are able move their artists around in order to take advantage of marketing opportunities that coincide with the changed street date. Now, labels can still do that on the week of release, but will have less opportunity to schedule a high-profile appearance on the release date itself.

While sources say that digital music service providers like the Friday street date, not all physical merchants have given the change their blessing; some indie labels and indie merchants are opposed to having the global street date on Friday. They say they like the concept of having street dates early in the week because they feel it helps sell more CDs -- devout customers of an artist will come in on Tuesday while others will come in on payday, which is usually at the end of the week. Yet, in the end, brick-and-mortar stores and indie labels may not have much say in picking which day of the week functions as the global street date.

"This global streetdate is necessary for the industry but unfortunately it will be awkward for the physical retailers to change their ways of doing business," says one label executive. "Now, they could have two-thirds of their sales in one day," which would impact retail operation.

Meanwhile, preparing for a universal street date is not without issues for all parties, which is why there is so much lead time ahead of the contemplated shift.

Among the issues that have to be addressed to accommodate the shift is that physical pipeline scheduling will have to be revamped, and discussions on whether and how to change the various music charts around the world. Beyond the music industry -- which created the notion of an industry streetdate for new releases and established Tuesday as that day in the U.S. -- other entertainment software industries have adopted Tuesday as well, first the home video industry and then the book industry. Now that the various entertainment companies have taught the U.S. consumer to go to stores on a Tuesday, will those other industries follow suit and change with the music industry?

Source

I think it makes total sense for the reasons mentioned in the article even though it will take some effort to achieve. Personally I would use Monday rather than Friday as it's the beginning of a week and less of a change for the "most important" U.S. market. Although on the other hand, our gaming industry already has a Friday release date so I guess that would make sense too. It's a tough one regarding which actual day is better but I definitely think the overall idea makes sense!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 12 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
But when Friday dawns in Australia, there is is still a lot of Thursday left in Europe and even more in the US. If digital piracy is really that big a problem then surely they need to release at the same time around the world.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Aug 12 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
Yeah that's true, but I guess a few hours difference is better than a few days. Although I'd like a standard release day just for new single release purposes so when Rihanna releases a new single for example, she'll know releasing on a Friday is beneficial for chart positions all around the world rather than just for either Australia and New Zealand or for the United States and Canada.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 12 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
How many people exactly are going to illegally download an album just because it's not available in their own country yet, but is going to be out in a few days? (Not including people who would illegally download anyway because nothing is going to stop them from doing so). This seems like a big fuss over a nonexistent problem.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Aug 13 2014, 06:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
It might even persuade record companies to take a less front-loaded approach to record promo, as 2 days sales will almost never be enough to get a song to #1 on release week.

... or maybe that's just wishful thinking... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 13 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(Vidcapper @ Aug 13 2014, 07:00 AM) *
It might even persuade record companies to take a less front-loaded approach to record promo, as 2 days sales will almost never be enough to get a song to #1 on release week.

... or maybe that's just wishful thinking... laugh.gif

I see you didn't even read the *title* of the article.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Aug 13 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #7
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
How is this a UK chart topic?

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Aug 13 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
Actually this is a good move, I guess album sales will have an extra 2 days unsure.gif until the cut off point on a Saturday at midnight.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Aug 13 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275
QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 13 2014, 01:52 PM) *

I would say we can do an exception here, more people visit this forum and more people will see this information, not to mention that this could affect the UK release dates heavily, as it is a Sunday/Monday right now.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 13 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 13 2014, 12:52 PM) *

Well it applies to the UK as well as other countries - you could always do a little cross-post in the Int Charts forum.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Aug 13 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #11
Group icon
All I See br29
QUOTE({ bré } @ Aug 13 2014, 12:56 PM) *
Well it applies to the UK as well as other countries - you could always do a little cross-post in the Int Charts forum.

And if it were in int charts it would affect about 100 countries + the UK. It makes no sense to post multi-country news in a UK-centric forum.

There's no point doing a cross-post, this thread would just hoover up all the activity anyway.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Aug 13 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 13 2014, 01:58 PM) *
And if it were in int charts it would affect about 100 countries + the UK. It makes no sense to post multi-country news in a UK-centric forum.

There's no point doing a cross-post, this thread would just hoover up all the activity anyway.

The International charts forum at that time was created because the charts from foreign countries were hard to find in the main chart forum because there were much less responses to them than to the UK charts. I would say if there are information that is worldwide but also affect the UK music industry heavily it's better to keep in the UK chart forum.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Aug 13 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #13
Group icon
All I See br29
QUOTE(*Ben* @ Aug 13 2014, 01:07 PM) *
The International charts forum at that time was created because the charts from foreign countries were hard to find in the main chart forum because there were much less responses to them than to the UK charts. I would say if there are information that is worldwide but also affect the UK music industry heavily it's better to keep in the UK chart forum.

The UK chart forum gets over 1,000 posts per week. Int charts gets 100+ and that's a recent development. There's no reason suitable threads for a smaller forum that's trying to go needs to go to the place that's fine with no effort.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Aug 13 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 13 2014, 02:15 PM) *
The UK chart forum gets over 1,000 posts per week. Int charts gets 100+ and that's a recent development. There's no reason suitable threads for a smaller forum that's trying to go needs to go to the place that's fine with no effort.

I fully understand that you try to protect your forum, but I'm afraid such threads like this will only disappear there. People go there specifically to check charts from foreign countries and as this is a UK-centric Forum (you mentioned it) people will look over it sad.gif

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Aug 13 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/music-i...illboard/059308

Courtesy of Blackjane who accidently created a duplicated thread smile.gif

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Aug 13 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
I remember there were plans to make UK release dates Friday about 10 years ago because they thought it'd increase sales.

+Quote this post
marcin
post Aug 13 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 800
Great news.
I guess it's pretty obvious that after introducing a Friday release date, the UK chart will change the tracking period as well.
Just like in many other territories it will most likely become Friday-Thursday frame.

+Quote this post
poppet15
post Aug 13 2014, 02:09 PM
Post #18
Group icon
UKs Biggest European Music fan
User: 285
The should do this with singles also.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Aug 13 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE({ bré } @ Aug 13 2014, 12:48 PM) *
I see you didn't even read the *title* of the article.

But a global release day of Friday won't necessitate a change the UK's chart compilation day.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Aug 13 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(marcin @ Aug 13 2014, 02:30 PM) *
Great news.
I guess it's pretty obvious that after introducing a Friday release date, the UK chart will change the tracking period as well.
Just like in many other territories it will most likely become Friday-Thursday frame.

So you expect the UK charts to be announced on Friday instead of Sunday then?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:51 PM