BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joseph's rank of the Lost characters, 4 8 15 16 23 42
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 29th June 2022, 06:25 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

23 Richard Alpert
Played by: Néstor Carbonell
Recurring: Seasons 3-5
Main: Season 6

The never-ageing Richard first appears in season 3, during Juliet's flashback episode, interviewing her to join a research company that, of course, ultimately ends up being the island. Richard is one of "the Others", a group led by Ben living at the houses initially inhabited by the Dharma Initiative. Richard is the person who brings Locke's father to the island for him to kill, and suggests to Ben that Sawyer should kill him instead (knowing he was the man who caused the chain of events that led to him losing his parents as a young kid). Later, before Ben begins the process of moving the island, he lets Richard know that Locke will be their new leader and he warmly welcomes Locke into the group. It's through season 5's mind-warping flashbacks where we learn of Richard's ability to not grow old. He is present in the 1970s looking nearly identical, explained in season 6 through Richard's first and only flashback episode as being a deal he made with Jacob after being the only survivor of a shipwreck that he was a prisoner on. Though his immortality was something he craved after losing his wife, he grew tired of it and believed his long life had no purpose. In the finale, we see that Richard's grown a grey hair - a sign that perhaps his wish to return to a normal life had been granted - and he leaves the island on the plane flown by Frank.

Richard's one of the most interesting mysteries of the later Lost seasons. I was definitely intrigued by his agelessness throughout season 5 and it was obvious he had a much bigger part to play in the history of the island than we initially were led to believe. His flashback episode is strong, too - it does a great job and fleshing out a newly-promoted show regular in a way that the likes of Frank and Ilana never got - and I loved his little arc of achieving a mortal life after realising immortality wasn't all it had cracked up to be. Richard's best scene, though, was his reunion with his wife via Hurley's ability to communicate with the dead. It was a touching moment made all the more emotional by the journey of his flashback episode. As a character within the action, I can give or take Richard and there are plenty of others who tugged at my heart more over their run on the show, but Richard definitely provided some memorable moments and had a cute ending as the cherry on top of his journey on the show.

Two more characters to be revealed before we hit the top 20 - who do you hope to see missing out? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 29th June 2022, 07:28 PM
Post #42
Group icon
User: 13,007

OK Richard doesn't age and that's great for him, but Frank ages BACKWARDS so Frank wins x

'Ab Aeterno' is one of the most fascinating episodes in the whole show! It goes as far back as the 1800s and is brought right back to modern day, all brilliantly acted by the lead. It was great to finally have answers about the Black Rock ship and Richard's eternal life amongst other great scenes.

Definitely one of the most enigmatic characters; I'm pretty much bound to be totally engrossed in any scene he features in!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th June 2022, 07:46 PM
Post #43
Group icon

QUOTE(HausEatsGrandma @ Jun 29 2022, 08:28 PM) *
OK Richard doesn't age and that's great for him, but Frank ages BACKWARDS so Frank wins x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th June 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #44
Group icon

22 Charlotte Lewis
Played by: Rebecca Mader
Main: Seasons 4-5
Guest: Season 6

Introduced in the second episode of season 4, Charlotte is one of the freighter team, arriving on the island alongside Frank, Faraday and Miles. She is captured by Locke's team of survivors and held hostage, even being shot by Ben (a failed plan due to a bulletproof vest) as he is aware that Charlotte and her team are looking for him. Kate and Sayid swap Charlotte for Miles to reunite her with Faraday. Together, they are initially met with hesitation from the group, especially after sneaking off to the Tempest station to neutralise poison gas without prior explanation, though her ability to understand and speak Korean is useful when speaking to Jin, who tells her to ensure Sun gets off the island on the freighter due to her pregnancy (and that he'll hurt Faraday if she doesn't). She does this, though stays behind when Faraday ferries survivors to and from the freighter as she believes the island is where she was born. Despite this, she struggles to cope with the side effects of the island jumping through time, experiencing nosebleeds and headaches before collapsing and dying in Faraday's arms. We see a younger Charlotte later in season 5, who Faraday tells not to return to the island once she leaves.

Of the three main newbies we meet in season 4, Charlotte was the one who got the least time and development and therefore she has to be the lowest of the three, but I liked what I saw of her character in the little time she had on screen. Her death felt premature, too, especially with the building of her relationship with Faraday (who definitely brought out the softer side to what could sometimes be a tough, hard-faced character), but I enjoyed their chemistry on screen regardless and it would've been interesting to see where they ended up together after the time jump. Either way, she had a nice story arc and I enjoyed the intrigue surrounding her island backstory through season 4, and Rebecca Mader sold the role perfectly with the little she sometimes had to work with.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 30th June 2022, 05:09 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

All these filler characters with their own filler episodes (Exposé) seem kind of refreshing when TV series today tend to have fewer episodes but with more action and more storylines in them. In practice I'm not sure I'd have the patience but it's cool that the creators of Lost were able to just shove in an episode about how Jack got his tattoos.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 30th June 2022, 06:30 PM
Post #46
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I didn’t really warm to the whole Freighter storyline, maybe I do need to rewatch to appreciate it more but it was one of the worst parts of the series for me and so I never really gelled with the characters either.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th June 2022, 07:22 PM
Post #47
Group icon

Charlotte was a nice addition to the roster. Her and Daniel's love storyline was cute and obviously tragic as her temporal displacement ate away at her :'( although her death was more upsetting because we know how much Daniel cared for her, as opposed to actually having an emotional connection her kink.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 30th June 2022, 07:44 PM
Post #48
Group icon

21 Walt Lloyd
Played by: Malcolm David Kelley
Main: Seasons 1-2
Guest: Seasons 3-5

When Flight 815 crashes onto the island, Walt barely knows his father. At the time, he's by far the youngest survivor and his only family member present is father Michael, who he's had barely any contact with for most of his life. However, with the death of his mother, Michael receives custody of his son. It's immediately clear through season 1 that they have a fractured relationship, particularly as Michael disapproves of Walt talking to Locke, much to Walt's anger. Walt runs away after a furious Michael finds him with Locke and Boone, and Michael and Locke have to work together to rescue him from a polar bear. Walt also sets fire to the initial raft Michael builds, keen not to leave the island, but later joins Michael on the finished one, which he is kidnapped from by the Others. We see Walt sporadically after that - Michael eventually rescues him and takes him off the island, where he once again loses contact with his father - but he occasionally appears to other characters as a mysterious premonition that's ultimately never explained.

I've got a lot to say about Michael when he appears (a LOT, trust me!), but Walt obviously plays a gigantic part of his story and without his presence (or lack thereof in season 2), the show would undoubtedly have been very different. He's part of some of the show's most touching scenes in the first season, especially as far as Vincent is concerned (honestly Vincent's the honorary winner of this thing x), and the driving force behind some of the most shocking and difficult-to-watch scenes in season 2. I'd have loved to have seen Walt's journey continue, though I understand the real life difficulties of a young actor like Malcolm David Kelly in a TV show where time wasn't moving as fast as his ageing...! (not ageing backwards like Frank amirite) I definitely wish they'd explored what Walt's powers were meant to be, too. They were one of the most interesting aspects of his character and we never got to know why! Nevertheless, Walt was one of the cutest, most heartwarming parts of season 1 and he's a big part of the emotional heart we see in the beginning of the show.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 30th June 2022, 07:46 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Don’t you mean “WAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!”

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 30th June 2022, 07:48 PM
Post #50
Group icon

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jun 30 2022, 08:46 PM) *
Don’t you mean “WAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!”

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 30th June 2022, 10:17 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

I didn't mind Ana Lucia that much the first time I watched but on my last rewatch she really got on my nerves most of the time. Maybe I just can't forgive her for Shannon lol.

I like Charlotte and her relationship with Faraday but she was unfortunately underdeveloped. I think she was meant to get a flashback episode in season 4 but it got scrapped when they had to cut the amount of episodes. I guess that would probably have provided a bit more detail on her childhood on the island.

How is Michael with his three lines ("They took my son", "have you seen my boy" and of course "WAAAAAALT") still in the running lmao? laugh.gif As for Walt himself, he's an interesting character in the beginning but I do find his special abilities and entire character being swept under the carpet a bit disappointing. I get why they had to write him out by the end of Season 2 but if they'd wanted to there was surely room to reintroduce him in a larger role in the last couple of seasons when the timeline had moved forward several years.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 1st July 2022, 08:04 PM
Post #52
Group icon

WWAAAAAAAAAÀAAÁÆÆAAAAÃaÂĄĂAAAªÄÅAAAAAAAAAAAAAĹĹLŁLĽLLĻTŤTTŢŢȚ

Michael needs to be out soon I agree dry.gif Walt lower than him mad.gif I know Walt is in it much less but Michael's descent from heroic dad to painfully insufferable annoyance is too much to forgive x

Walt in Season 1 is genuinely one of the most fascinating characters for me. I was transfixed with him and Locke whenever they were together hunting in the jungle and the genuine mystery about his "powers"/connection with animals etc was one of the show's great mysteries. Obviously the actor going through puberty and growing at an insane rate meant he was written out in a way that left a lot of viewers short-changed but it remains an unanswered mystery that I can accept because it keeps fans discussing the true nature of it all. I think as a young actor, Malcolm David Kelley is a shining star of the early seasons. He's such a talent at such a young age. I wish his story arch didn't go the way it did but I still get goosebumps thinking about his involvement in the first season and his connection/relationship with Locke, who is the dad he always wished he had instead of Michael. (The early rivalry between Michael and Locke is also brilliant as a result of this / the jealousy). Massive fan of Walt <3

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st July 2022, 08:07 PM
Post #53
Group icon

^ summed up so well! The mystery around Walt is certainly something that keeps you thinking, that's why I don't mind the final episode myself even if I get why people were frustrated at how many questions were left unanswered.

Lots to say on Michael later, I promise!! (with hopefully a good justification on why he's placed where he is x)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st July 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #54
Group icon

20 Boone Carlyle
Played by: Ian Somerhalder
Main: Season 1
Guest: Seasons 2-3, 6

One of the survivors of Flight 815, we meet Boone and his sister Shannon in the first season. Immediately, Boone is helpful and throws himself into helping Jack where needed whilst also being very protective of Shannon (almost too protective at times). This is seen when Boone tries to discourage Sayid from acting on his shared feelings with Shannon - needless to say, it doesn't work. Their relationship is explored in their flashback episode Hearts and Minds, where it's revealed the step-siblings have a romantic history between them. Boone rescued Shannon from several abusive relationships, including one in Sydney, which were revealed to be a scam for money, a plan that fails when Shannon's boyfriend runs away with her money and Shannon gets Flight 815 back to the US with Boone. On the island, Boone forms a strong bond with John Locke, becoming Locke's apprentice, though this ultimately gets Boone killed when he's hurt after investigating the crashed Beechcraft plane.

Boone's a character I have mixed feelings on. At times he is overprotective and unnecessarily rude towards Shannon and her disassociating from the action on the island, but I appreciated the context given in Hearts and Minds to their relationship that showed exactly what Shannon had done to provoke such a reaction from Boone. It's not the most riveting storyline in season 1 and the idea of them having romantic feelings for each other felt unnecessary and slightly gross (even if "only" step-siblings), but it felt well developed nonetheless and whether I liked or disliked Boone in any moment, his intentions felt clear and justified (to him at least). His relationship with Locke was a riveting one - Ian Somerhalder and Terry O'Quinn clearly had great chemistry - and his death, being the first major death of the show, naturally struck a chord with the wonderful juxtaposition of Boone's death and Aaron's birth. It was expertly done and really provoked an emotional response from both me and the characters.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 2nd July 2022, 06:09 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

oh surprised Boone is gone, really thought he would be higher, even top 10
definitely prefer him to Shannon or Michael

more than anything, it was frustrating his character died so early and like the first big one to die

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 2nd July 2022, 12:36 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Awww Boone, loved him!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd July 2022, 12:53 PM
Post #57
Group icon

Duration is something that works against Boone really, he wasn't in it for long enough to feature above characters that shaped a more significant period of the show!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 3rd July 2022, 07:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Oh Boone, he majorly had my heart. One of my first crushes blush.gif but let me try not to focus on that~

As a character, I think he's one of the most relatable going. Over-protective, naive, wants to prove himself but ultimately a bit of a spare part. His mentor/novice relationship with Locke is brilliant and although Locke effectively uses him for his own gain on learning more about the island, it's what leads to the major plot points in the first season so it's seen as worthwhile in the end. I am not totally won over by the Hearts and Minds flashbacks - it's a bit of a tangled web sort of affair but it does go to show even moreso that every character was flawed in their flashbacks and so "needed" the island to prove themselves.

The Beechcraft is the location of some insane scenes too: Locke's visions, the radio transmissions to Bernard in the tail section, Eko and Locke discovering the Pearl station and more. Also, as mentioned in your commentary too, the death of Boone vs the birth of Aaron is a brilliant touch.

I really like Boone but can see why he's so low. I can imagine if he was to hang around for longer, he'd be much higher because he was on his way to really proving himself as a positive presence amongst the islanders and someone who just wanted to do good.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd July 2022, 07:29 PM
Post #59
Group icon

19 Miles Straume
Played by: Ken Leung
Main: Seasons 4-6

One of the freighter islanders introduced in season 4, Miles is initially hot-headed and standoffish when we meet him. At first, he reunites with Faraday, meeting the survivors of Flight 815, but Kate and Sayid switch him for Charlotte, making him Locke's hostage. He makes a bargain with Ben to protect himself, knowing Ben is the person Charles Widmore organised the freighter to locate, though when the barracks are raided, Miles leaves with Sawyer, Claire and Aaron to go to the beach. Through season 5, Miles integrates further with the survivors as the island flashes through time and he becomes stranded in the 1970s, alongside a younger version of himself living on the island with his dad, Dr Chang. Initially, he resists speaking to him, but eventually does, finding out Miles is his son when they instruct him to evacuate the island before the hydrogen bomb is detonated. In season 6, Miles uses his gift to help Ilana find out how Jacob died, and he later teams up with Ben and Richard in a bid to destroy the Ajira plane to stop "Locke" escaping the island, though ends up boarding the plane and escaping the island.

I don't find Miles the most essential character in the show. In fact, in season 4, I found him mostly useless other than being the more "difficult" member of the freighter crew compared to the likeable Faraday, and Charlotte who was almost always on Faraday's side. Based on that alone, I'd have put him much lower - below Charlotte at least. He redeems himself in smaller scenes through season 5 though, especially after the time jump when he's been part of the group with Sawyer, Juliet and the others for a few years. He's calmer, more of a team-player and his chemistry with Sawyer makes for some really watchable scenes. I enjoyed his season 5 centric episode Some Like It Hoth to explain his powers, too, though I'm not sure enough was really done with them through the course of the show. Nevertheless, Miles is a solid character and one with some good progression, though I wish they'd utilised him more towards the end!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 3rd July 2022, 09:18 PM
Post #60
Group icon

Miles is hilarious at times! Some of his one-liners give even Sawyers a run for their money rotf.gif I think he probably could've been used more especially with his powers but where it is used it's intriguing. He's great in the flashes scenes and obvious Dr Chang and himself is a twist I'm sure I completely forgot about each time I've watched the show! About right in terms of rankings for me too possibly~

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:22 PM