BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to Chart Chat!, Information, guidelines, helpful threads...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Mar 20 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #1
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Welcome

Welcome to the UK Chart forum! We hope you enjoy your visit. This thread is to provide you with some key information, as well as helpful threads, and of course the rules and guidelines!

The UK Chart forum is to discuss all the goings-on with the Official Singles and Albums Charts, as compiled by the Official Charts Company (OCC). You will also find threads dedicated to the iTunes chart, the Spotify chart and radio station playlists, which have a huge effect on the charts here.

If you have an issue on the forum, please do not hesitate to contact a chart forum moderator (Chart Mod) via private message at any point! You can contact us through the following links:

Dan
Gezza
Jay
Joe
Joseph (also global mod)
liamk97
PeteFromLeeds
SevenSeize

You can ask any questions in this thread and someone will respond to you, don't be afraid!

Thank you and enjoy your stay!

The Chart Mods jameela.jpg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
Post #2

Rules and Guidelines

01. Please be kind and courteous to members at all times. Everyone has different views and opinions and this may cause debates but there is no point in making something personal. We ask that you report any inappropriate behaviour to a moderator. Bullying of any kind will not be tolerated and will be taken to higher board authorities.

02. Respect the moderators - we're here to help!

03. Prediction Threads - you are welcome to start a poll asking people where they think a song/album will chart, although please wait until an appropriate amount of time before release (3 months before release is no good and will not give an accurate idea). Also, make sure to link to the song so people can hear it as they make their judgement!

04. Try to keep on topic where possible, it's easy to venture off track and that's fine, but there's no point discussing the Spotify chart in the iTunes thread! tongue.gif

05. Spam of any kind is not tolerated and will be deleted.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
Post #3

Helpful Threads

Tracking the chart...
  • Friday Chart Predictions | midweek information and chat leading up to Friday's chart reveal.
  • iTunes Weekly Thread | every Friday, a new topic is made to discuss movements in the UK iTunes songs chart. This is vital for tracking how songs may do in the official chart, as revealed the following Friday.
  • iTunes Album Chart Thread | for discussing the UK iTunes album chart.
  • New Release Schedule * | new releases and impact dates, updated weekly. Courtesy of ManicKangaroo.
  • Spotify Chart Thread | to talk about the daily Spotify top 200 updates for the UK. This is also a vital tool for following the chart!

Friday's Chart
  • Buzzjack's Friday Chart Show | discuss the brand new official chart as it's revealed on BBC Radio 1 every Friday from 4 to 5:45pm!
  • Sales | a new thread each week to talk about this week's sales, provided by Music Week.
  • Top 100 Singles/Albums | a weekly topic to discuss the current UK top 100 charts.
  • Vidcapper's YTD Albums | a list of the top albums of the "year to date", with estimated sales, posted every week.

Radio and TV
  • Radio 1 Playlist | posted every Wednesday by Mango once the new Radio 1 playlist is revealed on social networking sites (archive thread link).
  • The Non-Radio 1 Playlist Thread | radio station playlists including Radio 2, Capital, Heart and Kiss.
  • UK Radio & TV Airplay Charts | posted every week by MJ2016.

Games
  • Dan's Chart Predicta | predict the following week's chart with the top 10 singles, top 5 albums and #1 single sales, plus bonus questions.
  • Top 10 Reshuffle | hosted by Dexton. Re-order the top 10 according to your taste.

Statistics and Lists
  • Midweek Chart Toppers | songs which went to #1 in the midweek chart updates but failed to hold on by the official chart (link).
  • Million Sellers ^ | a definitive list with estimated/official sales of every song that has passed 1 million "chart sales" (link).

* = pinned topic.
^ = members only.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Mar 20 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #4

The Chart Vault

The Chart Vault is the UK Charts subforum. It contains past airplay charts and YTD updates courtesy of Vidcapper, as well as lists of #2 and #3 singles amongst many other things. This is for you to use as a resource, feel free to make as much use of it as you'd like.

The Sales Vault is a subforum of the Chart Vault, and it is open to members only, so make sure to sign up if you'd like to view it! It contains old Music Week sales reports, as well as statistic threads as created by our very own members from official and estimated sales.

Finally, the UK Chart Archive is a record of all Top 75/100 threads since the forum began in 2006.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Mar 20 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #5

New thread is live, this is your one stop shop for chart forum information and questions! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Mar 25 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #6
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Members
Member No.: 2

I've only just seen this laugh.gif thanks for taking the time to compile Joseph.

+Quote Post
Borza
post Mar 27 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 15,998
   No Gallery Pics

I am one of those people that think the Singles chart is too slow these days and no longer serves part of its purpose which is to promote music to new consumers who then go onto listen/buy albums from artists. Even if that is no longer a valid reason it still isn't really a singles chart anymore but a song chart and as we know album tracks from a big release and songs from over a year ago are now clogging it up preventing artists getting any entry. In fact many weeks there are as little as three entries into the entire top 100! It also makes it difficult to compare to previous eras as so many songs now total a huge amount of weeks on the chart. This week there are 30 songs in the top 100 over 26 weeks or half a year. Can Buzzjack publish what the top 100 chart would look like if any track is removed after 26 weeks. Would this allow a greater flow to and fro and make it slightly more interesting?

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Mar 27 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #8
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

But the charts have never been about promoting new music? wacko.gif They have simply listed the most purchased tracks each week. That's why the charts became so irrelevant in the late 90s/early noughties because so many songs would get to no1 by being hyped and jump in at the top - thankfully we have gone back to a situation where songs are generally available when they are first played so the best tracks generally rise to the top through AirPlay!

+Quote Post
Borza
post Mar 27 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Mar 27 2016, 11:24 PM) *
But the charts have never been about promoting new music? wacko.gif They have simply listed the most purchased tracks each week. That's why the charts became so irrelevant in the late 90s/early noughties because so many songs would get to no1 by being hyped and jump in at the top - thankfully we have gone back to a situation where songs are generally available when they are first played so the best tracks generally rise to the top through AirPlay!

I have subscribed to Music Week for 25 years and for a large portion of that time, singles were used as a vehicle to bring music consumers to albums eventually. Singles were regularly deleted or stock not replaced in the past. "Love is all around" by Wet Wet Wet is just one famous example but it went on all the time. In the 1980's the lower end of the charts, singles were removed from the countdown, I think in the positions 75-100. So it has been done before.

In this era, there needs to be a happy medium because the general public has lost interest in the chart and who can blame them when it is so stale.

The dominance of streaming which is influenced by playlists set up by Spotify means it is not a level playing field. I know it never was but at least there was variety.

Anyway, I still think it would be interesting to see what the singles chart would look like if songs were removed once they reach 27 weeks. I don't think any of us would miss "Uptown funk" or "Thinking out loud" at this stage, it is not as if it they are actually a single anymore in the strict sense of the original concept but are now a catalogue item which hangs around forever because of the current rules.

What I am proposing would not bring "hyped" songs to No1 either!

This post has been edited by Borza: Mar 28 2016, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
danG
post Apr 4 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #10
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Borza @ Mar 27 2016, 08:37 PM) *
Can Buzzjack publish what the top 100 chart would look like if any track is removed after 26 weeks. Would this allow a greater flow to and fro and make it slightly more interesting?
Well sadly most of us don't have access to the full top 200 and those that do aren't allowed to reveal it in a public forum like this.

It would be incredibly unfair on the big sleeper hits though, 'Stitches' would have to be removed already yet that's still at #12 in the official chart.

+Quote Post
Borza
post Apr 5 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Apr 4 2016, 05:24 PM) *
Well sadly most of us don't have access to the full top 200 and those that do aren't allowed to reveal it in a public forum like this.

It would be incredibly unfair on the big sleeper hits though, 'Stitches' would have to be removed already yet that's still at #12 in the official chart.

I take your point, that would be unfair on "Stitches" at this stage. Perhaps my rule should only apply once a track leaves the top 20. I think there was a rule in the 1980's if a song had left the top 40 and had gone down for two/three weeks in a row (maybe more) it was removed. Eurovision will be coming up soon and with sales now so insignificant compared to streaming I can't see too many of the entries reaching the charts anymore. Indeed any new song reaching the top 100 is an achievement these days.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jul 2 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

didn't know where else to put it so~

The chart forum should have more regular games such as FF, Pointless, Emoji games, Catchphrase, Guess The Song and more. We've all seen the success of the recent FF so it'd be a huge boost to the forum to see it happen more often and activity levels would rise what with results happening. There'd always be something going on aside from the chart thread etc.

There are loads of new, active members at the moment as well as regulars so we should take advantage of it.

We could do it like the Lounge and have volunteers as hosts - I'm sure there'd be a lot of people up for hosting games in here.

just a suggestion but I think it'd be a HUGE boost for the Chart Forum.
soz if it's in the wrong place

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jul 2 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #13
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

Your points will be taken on board, I'm going to release the new cover game tomorrow morning, hopefully the game will generate new blood and returning members will be adding their own designs too.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 19 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #14
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Official Charts hasn't put out this week's charts yet and today's Sunday. :/

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 19 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Aug 19 2018, 07:26 PM) *
Official Charts hasn't put out this week's charts yet and today's Sunday. :/

Quite annoying really as I don’t know where else to get the Top 100.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Aug 19 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #16
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

It updated for me a few hours ago.

+Quote Post
heiheilafly
post Oct 22 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #17
New Entry
Member No.: 77,833
   No Gallery Pics

hi guys nice to meet you all! smile.gif I'm a new member & it's always good to be in touch with fellow music lovers. xx

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Oct 22 2018, 09:32 AM
Post #18
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

QUOTE(heiheilafly @ Oct 22 2018, 10:31 AM) *
hi guys nice to meet you all! smile.gif I'm a new member & it's always good to be in touch with fellow music lovers. xx

Welcome!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:15 PM