BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Madonna covers British Vogue
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 4th May 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 4th May 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

When it comes to genuine icons who sit at the crossroads of fashion and music, this month’s cover star has outlasted them all. In a career straddling two centuries, Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone has surfed every genre, set trend after trend, and been loved, loathed and debated like no woman before her. Yet what amazes me most about the Queen of Pop is that she never stops moving forward.

The highest-selling female artist of all time, she has, of course, been showered with adulation. But, boy, does she divide opinion. From Sex, her seminal 1992 book of S&M-infused photography, to her current battles with the media that refuse to allow her to age on her own terms, at 60, Madonna continues to dominate the conversation.

I believe it’s important that we pay a little respect: for much of her life, she was probably the most high-profile feminist on the planet. In a pre-social-media world, her ceaseless stream of hits, from “Express Yourself” to “What it Feels Like for a Girl”, pushed the discussion of female empowerment into corners of the world only music can touch – especially when coupled with a series of radical fashion statements.

Like most of you, I remain fascinated by Madonna the style chameleon. It is never just about her look – it is about her commitment. She truly lives each of her reincarnations, even when the cameras are off: English aristo, hip-hop diva, country-music maven, corporate warrior, earth mother, disco yogi, Marilyn, Eva, lace gloves and Gaultier corsetry. She has done it all.

This month, she collaborated with photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, and fashion editor Benjamin Bruno, on a series of images influenced by leading feminists of the mid-20th century, whose legacy Madonna not only admires but relates to. As she releases her 14th studio album, she has plenty to say to a new generation, too. On typically unabashed form, she tells interviewer Decca Aitkenhead, “I hope they appreciate it.”

The beat can be heard through the rest of the June issue – from the sizzle and snap of the perfect summer wardrobe on our Trends pages, to previously unpublished photographs by Steven Meisel of the late, great Whitney Houston. Meanwhile, musician Kelsey Lu models the work of this year’s BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund finalists. This project, which we run annually in collaboration with the British Fashion Council, is so important to me. Last year’s winner, Molly Goddard, has gone on to do great things with her label, and I am excited to reveal the recipient of this year’s award. As our society continues to evolve at breakneck speed, it is ever more crucial to support the talents of tomorrow. In fashion – as in music – the beat goes on.
When Decca Aitkenhead meets Madonna for the June cover interview of Vogue, she is not sure which iteration of the pop powerhouse will receive her – and the impeccable Georgian façade of her central London townhouse betrays no clue. The mother of reinvention, Madonna has variously been a singer, actor, dancer, filmmaker, activist, author and philanthropist. She has been a Kabbalah spiritualist, a punk club kid, an English country lady, a dominatrix; she has played Eva Perón and Breathless Mahoney, and channelled Marilyn Monroe. But, even now, aged 60, and with her 14th studio album, Madame X, due for release on June 14, her career still feels like a battle.

“People have always been trying to silence me for one reason or another, whether it’s that I’m not pretty enough, I don’t sing well enough, I’m not talented enough, I’m not married enough, and now it’s that I’m not young enough,” she tells Aitkenhead. “So they just keep trying to find a hook to hang their beef about me being alive on. Now I’m fighting ageism, now I’m being punished for turning 60.”

She’s motivated by the thought of paving the way for women to come, but Madonna’s duty of care to younger generations is often overlooked by the celebrity gossip narrative. “People got very excited about [the thought of Lady Gaga and myself as] enemies, when we never were enemies,” she sighs of society’s tendency to pit women against each other.

That said, Madonna has not felt particularly supported by women throughout her career. She is grateful for the artists who worked against all odds and defied convention before her, such as Frida Kahlo. “There are no living role models for me,” she concedes. “Because nobody does what I do. And that’s kind of scary. I can look back at women who I think were great and amazing – freedom fighters, like Simone de Beauvoir or Angela Davis – but they didn’t have kids. Being a single parent of six children, I continue to be creative and be an artist and be politically active, to have a voice, to do all the things that I do. So I mean, there isn’t anybody in my position.”

When most families expand, the parents tend to relax their rules, but Madonna says she feels the need to protect her children more than ever. She hasn’t allowed her 13-year-old son David to have a phone yet. “I’m going to stick that one out for as long as possible, because I made a mistake when I gave my older children phones when they were 13,” she shares. “It ended my relationship with them, really. Not completely, but it became a very, very big part of their lives. They became too inundated with imagery and started to compare themselves to other people, and that’s really bad for self-growth.”

She sees her own work ethic most reflected in David. “What he has more than anything is focus and determination,” Madonna continues. “I’m pretty sure he got it from me. He’s the one I have the most in common with. I feel like he gets me; he has more of my DNA than any of my children so far. Let’s see what happens – it’s still early days for everyone.”

Her daughter Lola, she goes on, “is insanely talented. I’m green with envy because she’s incredible at everything she does – she’s an incredible dancer, she’s a great actress, she plays the piano beautifully, she’s way better than me in the talent department. But she doesn’t have the same drive, and again, I feel social media plagues her and makes her feel like, ‘People are going to give me things because I’m her daughter.’ I try to give her examples of other children of celebrities like Zoë Kravitz, for instance, who have to work through that ‘Oh yeah, you’re the daughter of…’ – and then eventually you are taken seriously for what you do. You just have to keep going. But does she have the same drive that I have? No. But she also has a mother, and I didn’t. She grew up with money, and I didn’t. So everything is going to be different. But what can I do? I can’t fixate on it. I just have to do my best.”

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th May 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007

I am in absolute love with this photoshoot. I wish the Madame X era followed this vibe fully! The cover in particular is stunning.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 4th May 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Yeah these photos are incredible! Her hair looks so good like that, gives me 1989 vibes. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2019, 06:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Damn, these Vogue photoshoots are up there with my favourite Madonna looks! wub.gif She should bite the bullet and cut and style her hair like this for real; Madonna and blonde will always be her signature look but this is so different for her and she looks incredible!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2019, 06:08 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread