BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Energy costs set to increase by 54%
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DanielSwift
post 3rd February 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 119,363

Hello, I’ve decided to create a thread based on this issue. In April, 22 million households in the UK are set to have a MASSIVE energy tax increase. It is set to soar by 54% - which is an extra £57.75 a month, or £693 a year. At this current stage, energy prices are at £1,277 a year. Due to this increase, it is set to rise to £1,971. We purchase our energy from Russia, and they have increased the energy bills due to the Russia jacking the prices of their energy. The government have also introduced a package to help people with their energy bills, but people are worrying that this isn’t enough to help them with their energy bills.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you think the government should do to try and help decrease energy bills?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd February 2022, 03:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

We've been talking about this a bit in the Conservative general thread. My point of view is there is not a lot that can be done, but the Government policy seems ill-thought out and slightly rushed. People have known this will have been coming for months, but the policy looks like it was only put together over the last few days. One benefit (that Labour pointed out) of leaving the EU is we have the ability to cut VAT on energy - I'm not sure why the Government has not done this. The £200 loan in October seems needless to me - I think it could be way better targeted and it adds a lot of extra unnecessary admin to energy firms (who will front the cost and add it on to us, the consumers).

Not a pretty picture though. Points out our renewable energy sources are not anywhere near where they need to be yet.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 3rd February 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

And the Government are talking about a DISCOUNT which you havea to repay back in a few years. Unless I'm being extremely naive - whenever I buy things using a discount then the saving is mine to keep? Just more lies and spin. I'd call it more of a payment plan.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 3rd February 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

absolute joke people struggle with energy bills as it is

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 3rd February 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

The rise will cripple many families even with the measures outlined today. It is scandalous that energy companies like Shell who have announced record profits today will be giving their shareholders a rise when many families will have to make a choice between food or heating. This clearly requires further government intervention but the Tories seem too preoccupied with other issues like Brexit and dismissing partygate allegations.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 3rd February 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Feb 3 2022, 04:17 PM) *
The rise will cripple many families even with the measures outlined today. It is scandalous that energy companies like Shell who have announced record profits today will be giving their shareholders a rise when many families will have to make a choice between food or heating. This clearly requires further government intervention but the Tories seem too preoccupied with other issues like Brexit and dismissing partygate allegations.

Incompetence/preoccupation with other things is certainly a big feature of this government, yes, but isn't the main thrust idaological from these cruel bast*rds to load the pockets of their already over wealthy backers without a care in the world for the people who can't afford to live?

This post has been edited by Smint: 3rd February 2022, 04:20 PM

+Quote this post
DanielSwift
post 3rd February 2022, 04:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 119,363

It’s honestly so disgusting. Even people who have never struggled with bills before will be struggling now.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd February 2022, 04:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Yet another reason for investing more in renewables and reducing our reliance on imported energy.

Why is none of the loan being paid for out of shareholders' dividends?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd February 2022, 05:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

So, the government doing another sleight of hand really. The tax on North Sea gas price increases will essentially subsidise a gift of £200 a year to anyone paying Council tax. A bit like the 1.5% NI rise wiping out our 1.75% wage increase. That doesn;t take into account that Council tax will also go up as government subsidies have really put the boot in and costs are going up for everything.

On the plus side the announcement forced me to check my energy bills as they are Direct Debit, and I'm too busy to log on and flick through something that British gas smart meters should all work out. On the negative side, our smart electric meter turns out to be huge dumb f***er that has refused to work for 2 years and has assumed that because of a fault it developed that we had been sat in complete darkness for 2 years not watching TV, washing machines etc while still paying out £60 a month on gas. It's my own fault as I should have known from our New Council much-hyped Smarter Structures (reorganisation in Plain English) that anything which claims to be smart is a pile of dog poo invariably. So, I can look forward to a 2k bill popping up as well as an annual increase to both gas and electric. A wage cut in real terms, versus inflation of 5%, and everything costing way way more.

I'd like to say a sarcastic "Thank you" to people who voted for Brexit and the Tories, along with a smug "Told You So" and I hope all of your bills are shooting up like mine.

Hugs n kisses x

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd February 2022, 06:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 3 2022, 04:39 PM) *
Yet another reason for investing more in renewables and reducing our reliance on imported energy.

Why is none of the loan being paid for out of shareholders' dividends?

Yes, one plus will be the flawed argument about renewables being too expensive for people. Billionaires trotted onto the media to dig out this excuse will be laying low for the forseeable future and even without gov subsidies for solar and wind they will look a lot more attractive to a government now subsidising gas essentially.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 3rd February 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

The amount of comments I've read on social media (there's a big discussion about this on Reddit) with people saying they're genuinely scared for their futures.....this is a really dark time to live in the UK. I feel so, so sorry for the unemployed/poor/disabled who this will inevitably hit the hardest. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 3rd February 2022, 09:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Another thing that has happened that highlights what sort of government this Tory government is. I grew up with very little money and I don't think my parents could have handled something like this. This will really hurt people close to the brink and will push people who were previously ok to the brink. Disgusting

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 3rd February 2022, 09:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,527

The BoE boss on 32x minimum wage telling people not to ask for wage rises certainly seems like a bit of a 'f*** the workers' move.

Wages have already been rising due to Labour shortages.

The most annoying thing is a lot of this comes down to people not being able to save or grow their savings for the past 10 years because interest rates have been frozen for an unprecedented period of time. So increasing interest to fight it is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the millions who've worked their ass of for little reward for the last few years.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd February 2022, 10:07 PM
Post #14
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Chartfridays @ Feb 3 2022, 09:22 PM) *
The BoE boss on 32x minimum wage telling people not to ask for wage rises certainly seems like a bit of a 'f*** the workers' move.

Wages have already been rising due to Labour shortages.

The most annoying thing is a lot of this comes down to people not being able to save or grow their savings for the past 10 years because interest rates have been frozen for an unprecedented period of time. So increasing interest to fight it is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the millions who've worked their ass of for little reward for the last few years.

I know what he was trying to say, and he is right in the idelogy on his thinking, but like that is ever going to happen laugh.gif If your employer offers a 7% payrise, no-one is going to turn that down, and rightly so.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 4th February 2022, 01:43 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 3 2022, 05:57 PM) *
So, the government doing another sleight of hand really. The tax on North Sea gas price increases will essentially subsidise a gift of £200 a year to anyone paying Council tax. A bit like the 1.5% NI rise wiping out our 1.75% wage increase. That doesn;t take into account that Council tax will also go up as government subsidies have really put the boot in and costs are going up for everything.

On the plus side the announcement forced me to check my energy bills as they are Direct Debit, and I'm too busy to log on and flick through something that British gas smart meters should all work out. On the negative side, our smart electric meter turns out to be huge dumb f***er that has refused to work for 2 years and has assumed that because of a fault it developed that we had been sat in complete darkness for 2 years not watching TV, washing machines etc while still paying out £60 a month on gas. It's my own fault as I should have known from our New Council much-hyped Smarter Structures (reorganisation in Plain English) that anything which claims to be smart is a pile of dog poo invariably. So, I can look forward to a 2k bill popping up as well as an annual increase to both gas and electric. A wage cut in real terms, versus inflation of 5%, and everything costing way way more.

I'd like to say a sarcastic "Thank you" to people who voted for Brexit and the Tories, along with a smug "Told You So" and I hope all of your bills are shooting up like mine.

Hugs n kisses x

The current cost of living crisis isn’t solely related to Brexit or the Tory government though. The energy crisis is affecting many other countries due to the steep rise in the cost of wholesale gas. My parents live in Cyprus and their energy bills have also rocketed. It’s true that some food prices have risen due to Brexit but we have also experienced a pandemic which has impacted on the supply and demand of certain goods causing inflationary pressures. However, I certainly think the government should be doing a lot more to address the issues including stopping energy companies from raking in massive profits at a time when consumers face difficult choices and the NI rise is totally unnecessary and will add to the problems many people are facing.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: 4th February 2022, 01:43 AM

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 4th February 2022, 01:55 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

...Surely not?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th February 2022, 02:02 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

???

Every time I read more about this policy the more it baffles me. It looks more like they're just salting the earth + a little extra f*** you to people who don't own homes now but will in the next 5 years.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 4th February 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Feb 4 2022, 02:55 PM) *

...Surely not?

This gets stupider and stupider.

Is it levied on bill payer or property? What if you only become a bill payer in 2024? Will you then have 160£ extra to pay even tho you got no benefit? What if the bill payer dies in 2025? Will the state come after the rest of the 200 from their estate?

This is the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever heard. Literally only a billionaire could come up with this

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th February 2022, 08:35 PM
Post #19
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ Feb 4 2022, 02:32 PM) *
This gets stupider and stupider.
Is it levied on bill payer or property? What if you only become a bill payer in 2024? Will you then have 160£ extra to pay even tho you got no benefit? What if the bill payer dies in 2025? Will the state come after the rest of the 200 from their estate?
This is the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever heard. Literally only a billionaire could come up with this

It's a really dumb policy and one I suspect they will adjust before October. Very unfair on new bill payers (not just home owners, bill payers in general). Feel they will lose so much mony through either people moving in together due to natural progression in life and death too. Suspect all the new bill payers will be the ones who foot the bill for those.. but yeah, totally daft. I'd much rather not have the £200.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 4th February 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #20
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

This policy is a bit of a mess, it's a scam that protects the profiteering energy companies. It also doesn't go anywhere near far enough to protect those who will suffer the most, it's a bland 'cover all' offer that is very shallow.. we need something immediately more targeted and deep. Maybe, I don't know tax some of the £14 bn that Shell made in profits last year.. ??!

The volatility in the gas price is the cause, it should spur us to go even further with renewables, and yes - maybe we should consider public ownership of the energy market.

+Quote this post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 02:08 AM