BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> seven's eoy charts 2017, the year of the rooster! - DONE
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
seven.
post 7th January 2018, 03:37 AM
Post #41
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

70 Disciples On My Mind

69 Oh Wonder Ultralife

68 Arcade Fire Everything Now

67 Norma John Blackbird

66 Charly Bliss Glitter

65 The Drums Blood Under My Belt

64 Rita Ora Anywhere

63 Grizzly Bear Three Rings

62 Vince Staples Big Fish

61 Rina Sawayama Alterlife

her two singles before this had me sceptical, but to my surprise it ended up being very good, shades of Run Away With Me as a euphoric lets-get-outta-here love song

an icy cool banger, try to not get this chorus lodged in your head:

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 7th January 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #42
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Jan 6 2018, 07:37 PM) *
an icy cool banger, try to not get this chorus lodged in your head:

what the- THIS SOUNDS LIKE DJ MUSTARD

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th January 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Some nice tracks here! On My Mind is one of my favourite UK Top 40 entries this year, so glad they could get another hit after They Don't Know heart.gif

Good Morning could possibly be my favourite Grouplove track? Although I do love Ways to Go so maybe not tongue.gif

+Quote this post
seven.
post 8th January 2018, 02:19 AM
Post #44
Group icon

60 MUNA I Know A Place

59 Mura Masa feat. Christine & The Queens Second 2 None

58 Confidence Man Boyfriend (Repeat)

57 Amber Coffman No Coffee

56 Jens Lekman To Know Your Mission

55 Danny L Harle 1UL

54 St. Vincent Pills

53 Lana Del Rey Love

52 Oh Wonder My Friends

51 K.I.D feat. CupcaKke Boy

a charming pop soul tune from former Dirty Projectors girl Amber, with a highly amusing and corny video

Oh Wonder took on a brighter and fuller sound on the main singles, it's the tender ballad My Friends that hits the spot most for me though!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th January 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #45
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Sign of the Times and Anywhere!! *.*

+Quote this post
seven.
post 9th January 2018, 02:57 AM
Post #46
Group icon

50 Miley Cyrus Malibu

49 J Balvin & Willy William Mi Gente

48 Stormzy Big For Your Boots

47 Charli XCX Boys

46 Kendrick Lamar DNA.

45 ionnalee Not Human

44 Robin Bengtsson I Can't Go On

43 Fazerdaze Lucky Girl

42 Fickle Friends Hello Hello

41 Ariel Pink Time To Live

the yammy train rolls on in solo form, this thunderous track has been a high point leading up to the 2018 album:

Fickle Friends' standout single to date, it handed Trifoski a top 5 placing in BJFestivalen (let that one sink in)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th January 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #47
Group icon

Big For Your BEWTS *.* Nice to see Stormzy starting off the year in style!

Mi Gente is amazing also, great to see it go Top 5 without a celebrity feature! let's pretend the Beyoncé version doesn't exist

+Quote this post
seven.
post 11th January 2018, 03:28 AM
Post #48
Group icon

40 TR/ST Bicep

39 Jax Jones feat. RAYE You Don't Know Me

38 HMLTD To The Door

37 Sigrid Strangers

36 Lorde Green Light

35 N.E.R.D & Rihanna Lemon

34 Kesha Praying

33 Everything Everything Can't Do

32 Sir Sly High

31 alt-J 3WW

Sigrid! the young budding pop singer from Norway got off to a good start, but Strangers was when we got into Really Damn Good Tune territory. a double chorus of sorts certainly always helps

the little known Sir Sly pulled a delicious drug-induced alt. pop trick out the hat this year, it hits those euphoric highs at all the right points. Fans of Foster The People's Torches album may appreciate this one a lot

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 11th January 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

My favs:
70 Disciples On My Mind
64 Rita Ora Anywhere
50 Miley Cyrus Malibu
49 J Balvin & Willy William Mi Gente
39 Jax Jones feat. RAYE You Don't Know Me
37 Sigrid Strangers
36 Lorde Green Light

Some really great songs in this bunch and some of them among my favorites of the year! On My Mind, Mi Gente, You Don't Know Me and Strangers make me want to dance my ass off, Green Light was an amazing return for Lorde, Malibu was a nice new direction for Miley and Anywhere is among Rita's best ever!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 11th January 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #50
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Excellent to see “Green Light” and “3WW” here - both were #1s for me in 2017.

Also loving TR/ST, Sigrid, Everything Everything, Stormzy, Charli XCX, ionnalee, MUNA, Mura Masa/Christine and the Queens, Confidence Man, Lana Del Rey, Arcade Fire and Disciples. I really don't know what will be your #1 so am excited to find out. : )

+Quote this post
seven.
post 12th January 2018, 03:59 AM
Post #51
Group icon

30 St. Vincent Los Ageless

29 Django Django Tic Tac Toe

28 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard Rattlesnake

27 Danny Brown Ain't It Funny

26 Selena Gomez Bad Liar

25 Sofi Tukker Fuck They

24 The Horrors Something To Remember Me By

23 Lido feat. THEY. Not Enough

22 Dutch Uncles Oh Yeah

21 Jens Lekman What's That Perfume That You Wear?

Perhaps the craziest hip hop track in recent memory, with the thudding industrial beat and the weird blaring sax refrain that kicks it off. We got a suitably deranged yet goofy music video to firmly establish the song's message. seriously check this amazing shit out:

carrying on from Hands To Myself, Selena really found the key to doing sparse, minimal pop - use a Talking Heads melody! super sleak and irresistible, too much to ask for more of this?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 14th January 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #52
Group icon

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Jan 12 2018, 03:59 AM) *

24 The Horrors Something To Remember Me By

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Excellent to see St Vincent, Django Django, Danny Brown, Sofi Tukker and Dutch Uncles here. Strongest ten yet!

+Quote this post
seven.
post 15th January 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #53
Group icon

20 MGMT Little Dark Age

19 LINES Weekends

18 Kendrick Lamar HUMBLE.

17 Rex Orange County feat. Benny Sings Loving Is Easy

16 Carly Rae Jepsen Cut To The Feeling

BITCH BE HUMBLE

the cold winter months need some cold gloomy synthwavey pop stuff, and MGMT complied with their return single!

my favourite bjsc discovery courtesy of Cor Lupus, a raucous ode to the weekend from former winners LINES

i finally picked up on Rex Orange County once this charming slice of easy-listening soul pop landed. really like the other stuff i've heard, he's already knocked out two albums in 2017 so plenty of catching up to do!

the new Carly Slay album hasn't arrived yet but the ruthless burst of joy that is Cut To The Feeling was enough to tide me over, if this is the E•MO•TION offcuts quality when they better give us the rest!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 15th January 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #54
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Lot's of great songs, especially in your Top 40 (so far!) wub.gif

You Don't Know Me, Strangers, f*** They, Green Light, Lemon, Loving Is Easy, and of course Humble are all really great songs wub.gif I'm significantly less bothered about Carly Rae Jepsen though tongue.gif

Red Orange Country has had quite the year now hasn't he! Brilliant placing in the BBC's Sound of 2018 too, 2nd only to Sigrid who was a deserving winner. I was quite surprised to see Khalid there, considering he's had (I think) 3 Top 20 hits in 2017, two of which were Top 10 laugh.gif

Looking forward to the next 15!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th January 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Love You Don't Know Me! About on the same level as House Work for me but will certainly be high up in my EOY!

Nice to see The Horrors here as well - another song that's really memorable

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 17th January 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #56
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

• Castle On The Hill is my favourite track from his Divide album.
  • Magnolia ("In New York, I milly rock. Hide it in my sock.")
  • Wall Of Glass is a brilliant song. Have to get the etched 7" from HMV's online store someday now that I have equipped a card in my inventory.
  • Sign Of The Times is magnificent, and has a great video to accompany it (with Harry floating in the sky). Two Ghosts and Kiwi are two other great tracks.
  • Machine and Something To Remember Me By are some brilliant tracks from the brainchild of Faris Badwan in the form of The Horrors. I also loved Faris' collab with Hercules And Love Affair called "Controller", which reminded me of The Chemical Brothers a bit. I have copies of Primary Colours and Skying on CD and I have to get that Strange House vinyl with the bonus 7", as well as their new album.
  • I have Everything Now on orange 12". It's a pretty good track. I also have Funeral, Neon Bible and The Suburbs on CD and I might want to get those coloured 12" EPs that are coming on Friday (if I have enough dough).
  • Blood Under My Belt is a great song. I remember back in June 2010 when the channel VIVA (remember when we switched between 18 and 21 to see music videos) was hyping up The Drums and showing music videos for Forever And Ever Amen and Let's Go Surfing (the latter I got as an iTunes Single Of The Week back in October 2009.)
  • Night Of The Long Knives, Run For Cover, City Lights, Another Weekend, Loving Life, On My Mind, Anywhere, Pills, Big For Your Boots, DNA, Hello Hello, To The Door, Strangers, Green Light, Lemon ("Wait a minute!"), Malibu, Praying, Can't Do, 3WW, Tic Tac Toe, Los Ageless, Oh Yeah and Loving Is Easy are some other good listens.
  • Rockstar I'm not very fond of. I do quite like I Fall Apart and White Iverson though.
  • Big Fish. "I was up late night balling!". Also, in one of the verses, Staples references the chorus to Norf Norf. Did you hear about the mum that was upset by the lyrics of Norf Norf?
  • Did you know Mi Gente sampled a song by Willy William called "Voodoo Song"?
  • You Don't Know Me ("We can throw shapes together, but that doesn't mean you're in my circle." LOL)
  • High is another great alternative track. I discovered it through ARTV's Best Music Videos of 2017.
  • Rattlesnake: Flying Microtonal Banana is one of my favourites from King Gizzard. Love the microtonal sound (especially the intervals smaller than semitone)
  • Ain't It Funny: I have Atrocity Exhibition on deluxe pink vinyl. I found it in a record store in Greece and paid 36 euros for it, along with a yellow 7" of Circa Waves' Stuck In My Teeth.
  • Little Dark Age is good. I have a CD copy of Oracular Spectacular.
  • HUMBLE: "MY LEFT STROKE JUST WENT VIRAL!" Right stroke put baby in a spiral!"

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 18th January 2018, 01:13 AM
Post #57
Group icon

Great to see Rex Orange County - that has only just charted this week actually as I only discovered it from the BBC Sound of 2018 list.

Also absolutely love MGMT of course!

+Quote this post
seven.
post 18th January 2018, 03:18 AM
Post #58
Group icon

15 HAIM Little Of Your Love

14 Spoon Hot Thoughts

13 Superorganism Something For Your M.I.N.D.

12 Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug Havana

11 Bleachers Don't Take The Money

the Days Are Gone singles had a magic that would be hard to capture, they arguably managed it with the twangy ultra-loveable Little Of Your Love!

Spoon came back with ~hot thoughts~ on their mind, suitably reflected on this lead single ~~~

Something For Your MOOOOIIIIND was the first statement from Superorganism, quite an intoxicating listen with its deadpan vocals and unorthodox stop-start chorus *_._*

After Camila departed Fifth Harmony (often being touted as the 'breakout star') i was waiting to see what the deal was. And soon enough we got Havana (Ooh Na Na), with its ominous piano chimes, smooth salsa vibe and sticky hooks - the stage was officially set!

nothing but good old infectious indie pop from Bleachers dance.gif even tho i kinda miss fun. i don't mind much if Jack Antonoff and his crew are giving us stuff this good

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th January 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #59
Group icon

I did like Don't Take The Money, quite a slow burner though so never made any impact in my Personal Chart

Something For Your MIND has spent a couple of weeks in the bottom half tenth of my chart recently, there's something pretty infectious about it!

+Quote this post
seven.
post 21st January 2018, 04:56 AM
Post #60
Group icon

10 Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell, Katy Perry & Big Sean Feels

Calvin kicked off his year in a blaze of glory (with a track yet to come), and decided to take over the summer with "Feels" and its killer nu disco groove. it also brought Sir Pharrell back onto our radios which is always a good thing

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:28 AM