BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How would YOU change the Chart Show?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tangela
post 28th March 2018, 06:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

In an ideal world, how would the chart show be hosted? What features would you have? Jingles? Host(s)? Time allocations? Etc.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post 28th March 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645

I’d like to see a return of how it was done 15-20 years ago:-

- Top 40 in full
- Top 10 albums rundown
- A quick look at the new releases of the week
- Hosted by a presenter who keeps their opinion to themselves. I hate this slagging the records off that some of the presenters did just because for example they weren’t Urban enough in the case of Reggie Yates or in the case of Wes not Radio 1 friendly. I don’t think Gregg does in fairness, but I don’t often get to hear him on the show anymore as I’m working myself so can only comment on the handful of times I’ve heard him prsssbt the chart.
- Also it needs hosted by someone who knows their facts and gives relevant information on the artists and tracks in the chart that week. Yes we all make mistakes, but there have been presenters who have just read liners already prepared for them and read the same script every week along with making obvious mistakes all the time! People should be able to tune in and get some quick stats along with the chart. The Top 40 is produced by the worlds biggest and best broadcasting company so I don’t get why they make such a shoddy effort with the chart nowadays! They wouldn’t let something on Radio 4 go out with so many factual errors so why should it be different for Radio 1?

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 28th March 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Top 40 in full would take at least 3 hours, meaning the majority of people would only the around to listen to segments of the show rather than the entire thing

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 28th March 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Tangelic

QUOTE(Dexton @ Mar 28 2018, 11:29 AM) *
Top 40 in full would take at least 3 hours, meaning the majority of people would only the around to listen to segments of the show rather than the entire thing

The chart used to air from 4pm to 7pm on a Sunday with all 40 played in full. It is doable!

+Quote this post
danG
post 28th March 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

To solve the problem of the top 40 being rather stale most of the time which makes for a boring chart show it should be extended to a countdown of the top 100 and be given a three hour/forty songs slot again. Just the highlights from 11-100 followed by the top 10 in its entirety. To keep it consistent, 15 songs from 41-100 and 15 songs from 11-40. Of course this will probably never happen as the OCC won't give the BBC the licence for the top 100 willingly but the OCC should consider it to stop the slow killing of the chart show that Radio 1 have been doing. Also I would change the slot from 4-5.45 to 1-4 so Scott Mills can have it and R1 can still keep their Newsbeat feature which I think by law they have to have.

It's ridiculous that R1 still insist on playing 'New Rules' on the show every other week, they should rebrand the chart show as a showcase of fresh new music, not a mix of mostly long running hits, but there's not much they can do when they only have the top 40 to go by (though playing songs fresher than New Rules would be a start).

Here's what R1 could've played last week for example alongside the top ten.

11 09 08 Justin Timberlake ~ Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton)
12 20 08 Bebe Rexha ~ Meant To Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)
13 19 04 Sigala and Paloma Faith ~ Lullaby
14 11 09 Mabel ~ Fine Line (feat. Not3s)
15 14 11 B Young ~ Jumanji
16 NE 01 Lil Dicky ~ Freaky Friday (feat. Chris Brown)
18 18 06 BlocBoy JB ~ Look Alive (feat. Drake)
22 21 07 Bazzi ~ Mine
23 27 08 M.O, Lotto Boyzz and Mr Eazi ~ Bad Vibe
24 30 05 Khalid and Normani ~ Love Lies
25 22 02 Ziv Zaifman, Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams ~ A Million Dreams
27 26 07 Kojo Funds ~ Check (feat. RAYE)
28 24 02 Loren Allred ~ Never Enough
30 25 02 Years & Years ~ Sanctify
33 36 03 MoStack ~ What I Wanna

45 NE 01 Yxng Bane ~ Vroom
47 NE 01 Yungen ~ Mind On It (feat. Jess Glynne)
51 NE 01 Charlie Puth ~ Done For Me (feat. Kehlani)
58 RE 90 Christina Perri ~ A Thousand Years
63 71 05 Sean Paul and David Guetta ~ Mad Love (feat. Becky G)
65 NE 01 Louisa ~ YES (feat. 2 Chainz)
69 NE 01 Kygo ~ Remind Me To Forget (feat. Miguel)
70 NE 01 Banx & Ranx and Ella Eyre ~ Answerphone (feat. Yxng Bane)
71 82 02 Not3s ~ Sit Back Down (feat. Maleek Berry)
77 83 03 Meghan Trainor ~ No Excuses
80 RE 06 Migos ~ Walk It Talk It (feat. Drake)
81 NE 01 The Chainsmokers ~ Everybody Hates Me
83 88 03 David Guetta, Martin Garrix and Brooks ~ Like I Do
87 NE 01 Taylor Swift ~ Delicate
100 NE 01 Shakka ~ Man Down (feat. AlunaGeorge)

(climbers/new entries from XXXTENTACION and Rich The Kid not included as not suitable for daytime broadcast, ATY obviously isn't fresh but worth playing as a prominent re-entry)

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 28th March 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Tangelic

I like your format idea there Dan; though I wouldn't restrict it to 15 in region A and 15 in region B - more to 30 in region 100-11 as the flow of the chart changes from week to week. This would enable the freshest or most relevant 30 tracks to be played before the top 10 in full.

I also agree with Gavin re: presenters who actually give a damn and aren't biased. I do think Greg is good to be fair, but it's all still a far cry from Mark Goodier tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Gambo
post 28th March 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106

Although I still purchase singles, most of them stay well-away from the Top 100 nowadays as they're not hip-hop/R&B/rap/urban, and I'm far-too-old to be listening to the Top 40 countdowns now anyway! But, if I were a more relevant, regular listener, I would endorse some of the ideas put forward above, as although they are challenging the current, limited and stale format, they accept the chart as-is by broadening its scope and cherry-picking the more interesting moves within it, while keeping the show's "young people interactive" format, which many of us older chart fans hate but must concede is probably more in-tune with modern listening preferences than a more formal, stricter countdown that presents solid facts and figures, as was more the case pre-2000. Extending its time to accommodate a Top 100 would be a really interesting way of rejuvenating it; not that the average typical kid just cares about the size or positioning of the chart rundown - probably they care all-too-little about the finer details - but it would sound good when seeking to rebrand it. They could call it "The Chart Show", but why not make more merry of it and brand it "The Hit 100" or some such catchy line?

Despite all these good ideas however, there is one which to my mind would restore a fair bit of interest in the show, and not least listener share compared to its competitors, and that is simply MOVE IT BACK TO SUNDAY AFTERNOON! I haven't seen the latest RAJARs, but I'm guessing that despite its lack of 'official' status, ILR's "Vodafone Big Top 40" now commands a far-superior audience than its once-all-conquering Radio 1 equivalent, not because it's inherently a great format all-round, but mostly because they stuck with the Sunday slot as being the more conducive to the bulk of live listeners than moving to a Friday early evening. Even those who like the latest R1 format are often stymied because they are at school or working when it is aired. If you move back to Sunday, you immediately allow much more of a splash to be made by it, with more time, a longer chart length, and picking the new/climbing titles outside of the full Top 10 or 20. Stick to a single presenter - Greg James will do although I agree with the comment that "he's no Mark Goodier" (neither might I add is Scott Mills!) - and keep it simple. No fuss with competitions and texts; just as dynamic a playlist as the chart in its slow-moving state will allow across the published 'compressed' Top 100 positions. Some might baulk at this given the official chart is now released two days earlier, but then in an era of midweeks and constant digital updates of so many different charts, OCC and otherwise, does that really matter that much? The R1 Sunday show that began in September 1967 was a whole week behind until October '87! Better-still, my response to that criticism would be "move the official chart frame back to Sunday-to-Saturday, in closer alignment with the actual calendar week"! The Big Top 40 seems happy to run on that traditional, sensible frame despite the 'New Music Friday' release date initiative, and still seems fresher than its official counterpart aired two days earlier because it can include some new titles issued that Friday, albeit with just their first two days of sales/streaming action. Given that as much music seems to be released on other days of the week anyway, has the slavish adherence to a weird Friday-to-Thursday frame since July '15 really worked, and is it time to revert? If the official countdown did so, it'd be on a far-more level playing field with its Big Top 40 competition, and that magic of being the official listing - for all its current perceived faults - might help put it back to the fore, in tandem with a more creative, focused format of presentation.

Oh, and while they're at it, they could do a brief resume of songs that have been 'starred-out' of the official positions owing to the stupid "more than three tracks per act" exclusion rule. Okay, that's probably one for the more dedicated chart geeks, but it'd be helpful to know what's missed-out only because of the present chart rules despite accruing enough consumption of both types to have landed within the 'uncompressed' rankings.

+Quote this post
danG
post 28th March 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

I would love a move back to Sunday afternoon but only if the chart itself is compiled Sunday-Saturday, as there is no point today in listening to a chart show when all the positions have already been revealed two days earlier.

I wish the OCC never changed the tracking week but they probably had label pressure forcing their hand so that they could continue to attempt to get good first week chart positions into the streaming era (which doesn't happen now unless you're a huge name, so it was pointless anyway). It would make the chart more interesting to see how high a song could make it based off 2-3 days of sales. Currently some acts release on Thursday but they have no hope because Thursday streams don't count for anything - Shawn Mendes nearly made it top 20 on sales last week from one day's sales but missed the overall top 100 due to this.

As for the section restrictions they don't have to be enforced strictly that was just to help me pick out songs for the example.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 28th March 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I remember a similar thread being posted around 2016, basically what I thought would be a good idea then is (albeit slightly messy) the format they're using now. A rundown of the newies in the Top 100 could work but only as a build-up show or something before 4PM.

And, of course, a presenter who doesn't think it's the shock of the century when a song falls from #1 to #3.

+Quote this post
zenon
post 28th March 2018, 03:55 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

QUOTE(Midge @ Mar 28 2018, 12:31 PM) *
The chart used to air from 4pm to 7pm on a Sunday with all 40 played in full. It is doable!

But it wouldn't work nowadays due to the charts being slow.

+Quote this post
soundseekerz
post 28th March 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,878

They should play ALL of the new entries in the top 100 as well as the highest climbers. That way it gives people the full view of what is popular as well as a glance at future hits

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 28th March 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Not that I really listen to it much these days, but I always thought that looking outside the top 40 and promoting less mainstream music is always what should be something they focus on as well as the upper tier of the chart and any significant movements in the top 40. It could promote a wider range of artists which surely should be the point of New Music Fridays! The charts are too slow moving to warrant just the top 40 these days, and it doesn't help that the genres that typically do well are extremely limited (and even the artists).

+Quote this post
deepinside
post 28th March 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 23,606

QUOTE(danG @ Mar 28 2018, 08:31 PM) *
I would love a move back to Sunday afternoon but only if the chart itself is compiled Sunday-Saturday, as there is no point today in listening to a chart show when all the positions have already been revealed two days earlier.

Or OCC continue to compiled the chart on Friday - Thursday basis but only revealed the chart on Sunday for several reasons:
1) We all know Sunday afternoon was tradition for R1 chart show for decades.
2) This might not relevant with the chart show, but I think OCC will have enough time to compiled the Thursday streaming data accurately.

+Quote this post
danG
post 28th March 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Well sadly it seems like us chart watchers are the only people who actually know or care about the lack of Thursday streaming data. The OCC refuse to admit this is an issue because it would make them look bad.

If the OCC did Fri-Thu and revealed the chart on Sunday (or even Saturday) that would solve the issue, but to the OCC it is a non-issue. They'd rather the chart be a little bit inaccurate than have the chart revealed 2-3 days after the end of the tracking week.

Aside, I won't be able to listen to the official chart this Friday but I would love to know how Greg James is going to explain Drake falling out of the top ten from #1. The answer probably (sadly) is that he won't. Or he'll pin it on 'people getting bored with Drake being at #1' as if that explains him falling so much.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 28th March 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

QUOTE(Midge @ Mar 28 2018, 12:31 PM) *

In fact they used to manage it between 4.30 and 7 in the early 90s, just had to shorten some of the songs.

However, I disagree they should go back to playing the full top 40 because that would be dull dull dull. The chart would need to speed up first.

I think they've got the show format much right now, though I think Scott does it better than Greg.

This post has been edited by AcerBen: 28th March 2018, 05:34 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th March 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #16
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I think the chart show is pretty fine as it is now but in my dream world we'd have Jameela Jamil hosting again jameela.jpg

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 28th March 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(deepinside @ Mar 28 2018, 05:37 PM) *
Or OCC continue to compiled the chart on Friday - Thursday basis but only revealed the chart on Sunday for several reasons:
1) We all know Sunday afternoon was tradition for R1 chart show for decades.
2) This might not relevant with the chart show, but I think OCC will have enough time to compiled the Thursday streaming data accurately.

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188729

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 29th March 2018, 12:34 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

I think they should play the top 40 in full and having it 4-7PM on the Friday or movie it back to a Sunday

+Quote this post
Hadji
post 29th March 2018, 01:14 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386

Easy. Move it back to Sunday

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 29th March 2018, 06:52 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

the chart week tracking Fri-Thu is not gonna change anytime soon since it's a global thing,
so having the chart on Fri makes sense, no sense in having it 2 days later on Sunday

I like the current format, a bit longer would be better but 3 hours can be tedious

I wish they 'd play oldies like New rules or Ed less often but I guess they do it for the casual listeners that wanna hear hits rather than newies

What I actually like the least about the show right now is Greg, I think he doesn't have enough knowledge + he doesn't care enough, I agree bring back Jameela!!!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:36 AM