BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More goals in the knockout stages
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 2 2018, 09:40 AM
Post #1
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

There's been quite a bit of discussion on here about how, erm, dull the last two knockout matches were, both resulting in a 1-1 draw where not much else happened. I thought we could share our ideas of how to maybe improve it here.

I was thinking about this last night and had the idea that instead of the winner of Match A playing the winner of Match B etc., the winning teams could be ranked in a similar way to how teams on the same points are ranked (i.e. goal difference, then goals scored). The team at the top of that rank would then play the team at the bottom of the rank in the next round, the second highest team playing the second lowest and so on. It could give teams an incentive to score more goals because they would be less likely to end up playing one of the big names in the next round. (But then again, that could all go horribly wrong and we end up with a massively one-sided tournament)

Any other ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 2 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The two periods of extra-time have both been very poor.

If they had the penalty shoot-out before extra-time then at least one side would always have an incentive to score. Whoever lost the shoot-out would know that winning ink extra-time was their only chance of going through.

Of course, that wouldn't have helped make the last 86 minutes of normal time in Croatia v Denmark any better.

Pete's idea is an interesting one. If (as I assume is the intention) it is only used to determine the fixtures from the quarter-final onwards (i.e. the last-16 matches are still decided by group positions) it shouldn't be too lop-sided.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jul 2 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #3
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Sweden vs Switzerland on paper certainly looks like it will be the next match to go to extra time tomorrow!

This post has been edited by The Snake: Jul 2 2018, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 4 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #4
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

So using my idea, the ranking after the Round of 16 would give us:

1. Brazil (GD: 2)
2. France (GD: 1, GS: 4)
3. Belgium (GD: 1, GS: 3)
4. Uruguay (GD: 1, GS: 2)
5. Sweden (GD: 1, GS: 1)
6. Croatia (GD: 0, GS: 1, FP: 0)
7. England (GD: 0, GS: 1, FP: -2) (Resort to Group Stage performance in which England were better)
8. Russia (GD: 0, GS: 1, FP: -2) (Resort to Group Stage performance in which Russia were worse)

Which would give us:

Brazil vs Russia
France vs England
Belgium vs Croatia
Uruguay vs Sweden

Evens the teams out nicely, and sticks the teams which relied on penalties to get them through against the big teams.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:58 AM