BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
77 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Brexit II: This Time It's Irreversible, All the trade talks and future relationship bits
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post Feb 3 2020, 12:17 AM
Post #1
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
The UK has officially left the EU as of 11pm on 31st January and we now have no representation in the EU - however we are now in the transition period (due to run until 31st December) where all the rules still apply and in effect nothing fundamentally changes.

The discussions on the future relationship/ future trade arrangements are now due to begin.

They have not started well, the UK is already blaming the EU for something that the UK has already agreed to, and thus started off the negotiations with the same acrimony that the WAB was negotiated under. I quote: 'One well-placed EU source described the Downing Street accusation that the EU had belatedly decided to insist on tougher level playing field conditions as “total bollocks”.'

Continue the discussion here, but please note this thread will be carefully monitored and users will be minded to read and follow the forum rules.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Feb 3 2020, 12:45 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
I'm glad this thread's been started as I think this is a very good post from Caxton on Digital Spy:

"Could it be that maybe the people who want to leave the EU have got it right and that those who wanted to remain got it wrong. Can we actually succeed, I believe we can.

Cast your minds back to before the last General Election when there was a overwhelming majority of people on this forum who wanted the Tories and Johnson out and even people here who thought the Tories would not win an election for years and Labour would walk it and even talk of a Lib Dem Government or a Coalition was possible, but they were proved wrong

Of course the EU will make life difficult for us, they would not want our leaving to work as it could give a few other countries who are main contributors an idea to leave too.
Maybe this will work out OK for us and the more we keep telling ourselves we will fail out of the EU, then we will. Time now is to join together, leavers and remainers alike to get together and make the most of what we have, the more we fight between us, the worst it will be. The decision has been made, we are leaving, whether we like it or not and many clearly some here do not.

Together we are strong, split, we are weak, it is worth thinking about. No amount of arguing among ourselves will improve anything and will not change the decision that has now been made, so best to make the most of getting the best deal we can, together as a nation. There is nothing more would make the Europeans happy would be to see us fail as a divided nation in our quest to recover from this situation we have put ourselves in.-

We have to make this work for us as individuals and businesses alike, rich and poor, otherwise we will sink into oblivion and that will help nobody, the poor will suffer, the rich might just survive.

Incidentally I am an OAP, and voted "Remain" but once the referendum result was made I realised it was useless to keep fighting to Remain and salvage what we could from the situation. I voted Tory as they were the only ones I could see who could salvage anything from the situation as Corbyn and Labour looked to me unable to do this."

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: Feb 3 2020, 12:47 AM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Feb 3 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
WRONG. We are not "coming together" when you denied us any say and seized 100% of the power. I doubt he's a remainer. He sounds like the, I was Labour but... trolls. Completely transparent. Look - they're trying to pass the blame onto us already for brexshit failing. You excluded us at your peril. It's all yours. Enjoy!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 3 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #4
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The UK deserves what it gets. English lefties need to take off the gloves and stop playing nice with the actual liars in government, in the media, and who are influencing their families to vote for things that are patently false.

If you become even more of a laughing stock on the world stage, at this point, that's on you. Over half of your population are chomping at the bit to become indentured slaves once again.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 3 2020, 06:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Forever European @ Feb 3 2020, 12:47 AM) *
WRONG. We are not "coming together" when you denied us any say and seized 100% of the power. I doubt he's a remainer. He sounds like the, I was Labour but... trolls. Completely transparent. Look - they're trying to pass the blame onto us already for brexshit failing. You excluded us at your peril. It's all yours. Enjoy!

The Tories 'seized' nothing - they simply won a majority at the GE - that is a FACT, not trolling.

We SHOULD be coming together, that's the point - arguing further over what is now done and dusted is futile.

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Feb 3 2020, 06:05 AM

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 3 2020, 06:08 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Jüpiter👑 @ Feb 3 2020, 02:16 AM) *
The UK deserves what it gets. English lefties need to take off the gloves and stop playing nice with the actual liars in government, in the media, and who are influencing their families to vote for things that are patently false.

You think the GE campaign was 'playing nice'? huh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 3 2020, 07:01 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox told us that there would be dozens of trade agreements ready to sign the second we leave the EU. Assuming he failed to anticipate that we would leave at 11:00 on a Friday night, I assume all these wonderful deals will be signed this morning.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Feb 3 2020, 07:08 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
It’s amazing how many people of the brexshit persuasion are lining up to say “look, see it’s all fine. We didn’t die. Dover still works. It’s all good” without proper pushback from the media of “no shit, we haven’t actually left it. We just now take the rules with no say in what those rules are”

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 3 2020, 07:26 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Silas EU Later @ Feb 3 2020, 07:08 AM) *
It’s amazing how many people of the brexshit persuasion are lining up to say “look, see it’s all fine. We didn’t die. Dover still works. It’s all good” without proper pushback from the media of “no shit, we haven’t actually left it. We just now take the rules with no say in what those rules are”

How is that any different from Remainer claims that the country would face 'Chicken Little' instant disaster the moment we left? huh.gif

In reality, both sides exaggerated to promote their cause. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Feb 3 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 3 2020, 06:00 AM) *
The Tories 'seized' nothing - they simply won a majority at the GE - that is a FACT, not trolling.

We SHOULD be coming together, that's the point - arguing further over what is now done and dusted is futile.

Nope. Sorry. It doesn't work lile that. A little compromise would have gone a LONG way x And the tories seized it on 43% of the vote thanks to a corrupt system, plus the reasons I outlined in another thread. It was 100% of the power over a split vote. They ignored and insulted us. It's their brexshit. I will have NOTHING to do with it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 3 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 3 2020, 07:26 AM) *
How is that any different from Remainer claims that the country would face 'Chicken Little' instant disaster the moment we left? huh.gif

In reality, both sides exaggerated to promote their cause. mellow.gif

The direst predictions were about what would happen if we left without a deal. That may yet happen, but it isn’t the case atm.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 3 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #12
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 3 2020, 06:08 AM) *
You think the GE campaign was 'playing nice'? huh.gif

Um, yes.

Boris Johnson lied a lot and literally no-one in the media or in the opposing parties called it for what it was.

Not misrepresentation. Not spinning of the statistics. Outright untruths, saying things that factually did not happen and will not happen. And the British people who recognized that - let him. Let him use lies to convince others. That's a sick country.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 3 2020, 09:17 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Forever European @ Feb 3 2020, 08:00 AM) *
Nope. Sorry. It doesn't work lile that. A little compromise would have gone a LONG way x And the tories seized it on 43% of the vote thanks to a corrupt system, plus the reasons I outlined in another thread. It was 100% of the power over a split vote. They ignored and insulted us. It's their brexshit. I will have NOTHING to do with it.

The Tories made compromises with the EU in order to secure the deal they have - what did you *think* they have been doing for the past few years?

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Feb 3 2020, 09:18 AM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 3 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
I think that Michael meant a compromise between those that voted for remain and those leave, I'd agree with him that a Norway/EFTA type relationship would have been a good compromise for a close result. Such an outcome would have been more likely to bring the country together and would have been justified, not to mention it would have meant less damage was likely to the UK economy.

The Tories haven't made any compromises anyway, they've merely surrendered to the original terms that the EU gave in 2017 where Northern Ireland remains IN the CU & SM and there is a border/checks in the Irish Sea.

Johnson himself said that 'no Prime Minister could ever accept such an outcome' but has pivoted and thrown the DUP/unionists under a bus (probably containing a load of lies on its outside) at the merest hint of seizing power, and similarly Farage has also pivoted from 'this isn't Brexit' to 'this is Brexit and it was all down to me' despite nothing having changed. It is actually quite funny to observe.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 3 2020, 10:31 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 3 2020, 10:18 AM) *
I think that Michael meant a compromise between those that voted for remain and those leave, I'd agree with him that a Norway/EFTA type relationship would have been a good compromise for a close result. Such an outcome would have been more likely to bring the country together and would have been justified, not to mention it would have meant less damage was likely to the UK economy.

The Tories haven't made any compromises anyway, they've merely surrendered to the original terms that the EU gave in 2017 where Northern Ireland remains IN the CU & SM and there is a border/checks in the Irish Sea.

Johnson himself said that 'no Prime Minister could ever accept such an outcome' but has pivoted and thrown the DUP/unionists under a bus (probably containing a load of lies on its outside) at the merest hint of seizing power, and similarly Farage has also pivoted from 'this isn't Brexit' to 'this is Brexit and it was all down to me' despite nothing having changed. It is actually quite funny to observe.

Well, almost all politicians *are* unscrupulous types (again, just an observation, not a criticism).

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Feb 3 2020, 04:22 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
DELETED. Youtube vid won't link

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: Feb 3 2020, 04:34 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Feb 3 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
From The Mirror

Journalists from every major national broadcaster and newspaper walked out of No 10 today after the Government tried to pick and choose which media outlets it briefed.

Broadcasters including political editors Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC, Robert Peston from ITV and Beth Rigby from Sky News were among those who left in protest.

Around a dozen journalists from organisations including the Financial Times, the Sun and the Telegraph had received an official invitation from Downing Street to attend the briefing with David Frost, Boris Johnson's Europe advisor, on the PM's post-Brexit trade plans.

But political editors from other publications - who have previously been invited to non-political briefings given by senior civil servants on government premises - also turned up.

They were granted entry into No 10 but a security official then read out a list of names for those who were allowed entry to the briefing - with those from left-of-centre outlets forced to stand on the opposite side of the entrance hall.

Those banned from the briefing, in a move reminiscent of Donald Trump's administration which has tried to exclude journalists from critical organisations, included The Daily Mirror, The i, Huffington Post and the Independent.

Mr Johnson's head of communications Lee Cain arrived and told reporters: "Those who are invited to the briefing can stay, everyone else I'm afraid will have to leave."

After journalists pointed out that briefings with civil servants - as non-political representatives of government - had always been open to the full spectrum of media outlets, he replied: "We're welcome to brief whoever we like."

The journalists then walked out of No 10, in the latest escalation of Mr Johnson's tensions with the media.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: Feb 3 2020, 05:36 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Feb 3 2020, 05:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Fascism.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Feb 3 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Good that they all supported each other and walked out in unison.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 3 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I don’t plan to ‘come together’ for this at all. My feelings on this have been ignored for four years and so I’m expecting those that wanted this to make it all work out without my support.

+Quote this post

77 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:14 PM