BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Logic - 1-800-273-8255 (feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid), Video released!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Aug 19 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Song has already been around for a few months and it's not quite as accessible as something like "Same Love" imo but the video was released a couple of days ago and I hope it helps to draw a lot more attention. Very powerful.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Aug 22 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #2
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Surprised there wasn't a thread already made for this.

The song is beautiful and incredibly powerful, some of the homophobia and racist comments is very disheartening to see though. It's so far got a peak of 47, hopefully it will climb top twenty either this week or next week in the US.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Aug 28 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
The performance of this at VMA's was so powerful, really deserves to be a huge hit.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 28 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I heard this for the first time last night with the VMAs performance as well and I was so moved! Actual tears in my eyes. The music video is really powerful as well.

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Aug 28 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
Wow the video is so powerful, makes me love the song even more cry.gif I really loved the ending with them getting married and having the baby wub.gif

I'm really glad the video is representative of people who are underrepresented in the mainstream media... I was fully expecting the video to be about another straight white girl lol.

This post has been edited by No Sleeep: Aug 28 2017, 04:23 PM

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Aug 28 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
VMAs performance

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Aug 28 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
Christ, wow. Incredibly moving performance, I wouldn't have even listened to this song because I assumed it was just another of these Lil Uzi Vert random rappers with melody-less rap tunes, I'm so glad this VMA performance has happened to draw me into listening and realising I was totally wrong. This is really really special.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 28 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
QUOTE(RobBob @ Aug 28 2017, 05:44 PM) *
Christ, wow. Incredibly moving performance, I wouldn't have even listened to this song because I assumed it was just another of these Lil Uzi Vert random rappers with melody-less rap tunes, I'm so glad this VMA performance has happened to draw me into listening and realising I was totally wrong. This is really really special.
Agreed completely! I honestly thought the number was just gonna be a rapper asking a girl "for her digits" or something haha. HOW WRONG WAS I?? Stunning.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 28 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
OH MY GOD THIS VIDEO !!!

I don't think I've cried this much as a song ever except Taylor Swift - Ronan, the combination of the song and video is so powerful. Absolute genius and needs to be massive. I am the same as Jonjo and Rob though, I stupidly avoid it for the same reasons becasue it just seems on paper like one of those hideous rap songs that sound like they were lifted from a weed dealer's soundcloud playlist laugh.gif

(also Nolan Gould in the video wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif)

+Quote this post
mdh
post Aug 31 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
This song is incredible. I loved it when it first came out but the video and the VMA's performance has gave it a whole new meaning for me. Please, please can this smash - Logic, as a person, deserves it so much, and the song is just brilliant.

It's nearly top 50 and I'm PRAYING it doesn't stall. Please be a hit.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Aug 31 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265
This song lacks any subtlety and makes the song less than what it could have been.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 31 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I'm sorry but wtf laugh.gif For a message like this it needs to be hard hitting. Why should a song be subte, it's nice to have rap that isn't about weed, hoez and money like the sort of songs we described earlier in the thread. It's not meant to be a catchy accessible hit it's supposed to put across a message and be hard hitting which it certainly is with the video an song combo. It's a song you'll hear and rememebr because the message hits you, if you didn't know it was about suicide unless you went on Genius it'd lose all impact.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 31 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #13
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Aug 31 2017, 09:02 PM) *
This song lacks any subtlety and makes the song less than what it could have been.

Which would change the point of the song entirely - it's to raise awareness of what people contemplating suicide are going through and help raise awareness that it can be prevented. Being subtle wouldn't put the message across so clearly and it'd lose its point imo. Fair enough if you're not so keen because of that but you can't argue that it's "less" because it's not subtle when it could be saving lives! One of the most important songs around at the moment IMO.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Aug 31 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yes but suicide is a deeply personal subject and I honestly do not believe the lyrics portray suicide as personal. They seem overreaching whereas I think if a rapper was talking about their own suicidal thoughts it would come across more authentic and relatable than this does.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 31 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Aug 31 2017, 09:19 PM) *
Yes but suicide is a deeply personal subject and I honestly do not believe the lyrics portray suicide as personal. They seem overreaching whereas I think if a rapper was talking about their own suicidal thoughts it would come across more authentic and relatable than this does.

Again, I think you're missing the point of what the song actually is. The ultimate aim is to show that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and it's proven by the song title which is the suicide prevention number. That's the point of the song and if it were subtle or more "authentic", I think the concept would be lost entirely.

Besides, you can see from his VMA performance how authentic his feelings towards this song are - the passion just pours out and his speech is incredibly moving. So many songs can be subtle if they want but what's the point if they don't get a message out as clearly as this?

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Aug 31 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Aug 31 2017, 09:23 PM) *
Again, I think you're missing the point of what the song actually is. The ultimate aim is to show that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and it's proven by the song title which is the suicide prevention number. That's the point of the song and if it were subtle or more "authentic", I think the concept would be lost entirely.

Besides, you can see from his VMA performance how authentic his feelings towards this song are - the passion just pours out and his speech is incredibly moving. So many songs can be subtle if they want but what's the point if they don't get a message out as clearly as this?

I think you are missing the point if you think this is the only way of raising suicide awareness. If you think the concept would be missed entirely by making the song more personable.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 31 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
He doesn't want it to be personal though.. he wants those that are having thoughts about it to seek the help they need and to let them know they're not alone and that there are people out there to help/talk to about the situation!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 31 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Aug 31 2017, 09:26 PM) *
I think you are missing the point if you think this is the only way of raising suicide awareness. If you think the concept would be missed entirely by making the song more personable.

It's not the ONLY way, no, but it's a very good way and it's proven by how positive the response to his VMAs performance was, plus its US iTunes success since then.

Like Jonjo said, it's not meant to be personable, it's not Logic talking directly about his own thoughts (for the record I know nothing about Logic's story), he's reaching out to a wider audience and showing there's hope. Being subtle would lose the point of that, and I'm sure there are so many songs out there that do talk about suicide in a more subtle way. The fact this has caught on without being remotely subtle is a triumph in itself.

+Quote this post
mdh
post Sep 8 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:14 AM