BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> John's 1980 charts, ska, disco, new romantic, and long-term unemployment
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jul 13 2019, 11:14 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
2nd September 1980

OK, it's been a rather shocking 3 years since I added to my 1980 charts, and following a request from Snakey I thought I'd restart them, about time too! No more youtube links though they slow my laptop down to a crawl when I try to reopen the thread!

It's 2 weeks on top for Bowie's classic Ashes To Ashes, and that fab Steve Strange-featuring video, while Gazza Numan shoots up to 4 for a 4th top 5 with I Die You Die, The Clash get their first-ever top 5 with Bankrobber, and Split-Enz go top 10 with the brilliant I Got You, 7 years ahead of topping my charts as Crowded House (more or less) and 39 years ahead of Neil Finn standing in for the much-missed Lindsay Buckingham for Fleetwood Mac's 2019 tour. I didn't buy a ticket this time.

Big leaps for The Beat, and The Skids, into the top 20, joined by 10-year-old Paranoid for Ozzy & crew, and new entry It's Only Love lower down also of that vintage for the still fairly-recently-late Elvis as RCA worked that back catalogue of UK flops. Highest new entry is from Genesis, Misunderstanding at 22, in those days charting higher than later in their career, by and large, in my charts - the other way round in the UK charts.

Into the 40, The Selecter keeping the big ska acts going, Shaky gets his first top 40 with Marie Marie, Peter Gabriel gets political with Biko, and The Korgis get a 3rd with the forgotten lovely If It's Alright With You Baby. Newies: The Hee Bee Gee Bees taking the piss out of The Bee Gees to their not-surprising displeasure (it was unfair criticism, but it was the start of the anti-disco anti-Bee Gees backlash following World Domination). The man behind Meaningless Songs (Philip Pope) starred in minor roles in various UK comedy shows, and was also behind Spitting Image songs, and inflicted The Chicken Song on an unsuspecting world, for which he deserves a methaphorical slap. I know it was supposed to annoy with it's banality, Philip, but you didn't have to release it and become the thing it was mocking!

Randy Crawford enters with the fab cool One Day I'll Fly Away and kicks her solo jazz-soul career off a year since The Crusaders hit, Streetlife, Shalamar return for a 3rd year of chart hits and still ahead of their big phase - I Owe You One, guys; Ian Dury wants to be straight, 2 years on from What A Waste, and finally Irene Cara is heading for Fame, the title song from Alan Parker's good movie about wannabe stars at an academy. Quality, but it took 2 years and a watered-down soap TV series based on the film to top the UK charts.

What was on TV that week? Well I was still worshipping Star Trek, as I hadn't overdosed on the episodes in those days - repeats tended to be years later, once only, and we didn't have video-recorders - but actually dad bought an expensive VHS Phillips2000 around this time, one of the first things I recorded on my own £20 tape (an absolute fortune then) was the TOTP top 10 rundown leading down to Ashes To Ashes on top with the full video. The other thing I recorded were episodes of Star Trek, watched them more, then erased them as I didnt have the space to keep all but the best. US sitcoms were strong, Doctor Who still popped in, Buck Rogers was fluff, I was and am into science stuff with Arthur C. Clarke (a hero of mine) and Sky At Night with Patrick Moore, and errr Chopper Squad, the Aussie adventure rescue show. Let's just say it was an early version of Baywatch, only not quite as trashy, and people didn't watch for the plots. I was unemployed. That's my excuse!

1 ( 1 ) ASHES TO ASHES David Bowie
2 ( 2 ) THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Abba
3 ( 3 ) MAGIC Olivia Newton-John
4 ( 32 ) I DIE YOU DIE Gary Numan
5 ( 12 ) BANKROBBER The Clash
6 ( 6 ) IT’S STILL ROCK ‘N’ ROLL TO ME Billy Joel
7 ( 11 ) I GOT YOU Split-Enz
8 ( 5 ) TOM HARK The Piranhas
9 ( 9 ) SUNSHINE OF YOUR SMILE Mike Berry
10 ( 4 ) ALL OVER THE WORLD E.L.O.

11 ( 14 ) START The Jam
12 ( 13 ) MODERN GIRL Sheena Easton
13 ( 8 ) XANADU Olivia Newton-John & The Electric Light Orchestra
14 ( 7 ) FEELS LIKE I’M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
15 ( 59 ) BEST FRIEND The Beat
16 ( 74 ) CIRCUS GAMES The Skids
17 ( 10 ) UPSIDE DOWN Diana Ross
18 ( 18 ) DREAMING Cliff Richard
19 ( 24 ) SLEEPWALKING Ultravox
20 ( 40 ) PARANOID Black Sabbath

21 ( 20 ) GIVE ME THE NIGHT George Benson
22 ( NEW ) MISUNDERSTANDING Genesis
23 ( 15 ) MARIANA The Gibson Brothers
24 ( 27 ) A WALK IN THE PARK Nick Straker Band
25 ( 36 ) SARTORIAL ELOQUENCE Elton John
26 ( 33 ) EIGHTH DAY Hazel O’Connor
27 ( 30 ) SUMMER FUN The Barracudas
28 ( 16 ) OH YEAH Roxy Music
29 ( 17 ) PRIVATE LIFE Grace Jones
30 ( 22 ) BABOOSHKA Kate Bush

31 ( 23 ) FUNKIN’ FOR JAMAICA Tom Browne
32 ( 19 ) THERE THERE MY DEAR Dexy’s Midnight Runners
33 ( 53 ) THE WHISPER The Selecter
34 ( 21 ) SANCTUARY New Musik
35 ( 25 ) C30 C60 C90 GO Bow Wow Wow
36 ( 26 ) YOU GOTTA BE A HUSTLER Sue Wilkinson
37 ( 42 ) MARIE MARIE Shakin’ Stevens
38 ( 75 ) BIKO Peter Gabriel
39 ( 37 ) MORE THAN I CAN SAY Leo Sayer
40 ( 51 ) IF IT’S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY The Korgis

41 ( 28 ) LIP UP FATTY Bad Manners
42 ( 38 ) WATERFALLS Paul McCartney
43 ( 43 ) MESSAGES Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
44 ( 31 ) COULD YOU BE LOVED Bob Marley And The Wailers
45 ( 34 ) A LOVER’S HOLIDAY Change
46 ( 39 ) REST OF YOUR LIFE Racey
47 ( 29 ) ME MYSELF I Joan Armatrading
48 ( 48 ) CRYING Don McLean
49 ( 57 ) LATE IN THE EVENING Paul Simon
50 ( 41 ) SANTA ANA WINDS The Beach Boys

51 ( 35 ) OOPS UPSIDE YOUR HEAD The Gap Band
52 ( 46 ) 747 (STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT) Saxon
53 ( NEW ) MEANINGLESS SONGS The Hee Bee Gee Bees
54 ( 54 ) NO DOUBT ABOUT IT Hot Chocolate
55 ( 55 ) MONKEES EP (LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE/ I’M A BELIEVER/ A LITTLE BIT ME A LITTLE BIT YOU/ DAYDREAM BELIEVER) The Monkees
56 ( 61 ) DON'T BRING ME DOWN E.L.O.
57 ( 62 ) GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME Gerry Rafferty
58 ( NEW ) ONE DAY I’LL FLY AWAY Randy Crawford
59 ( 45 ) USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT Odyssey
60 ( 65 ) SOUND OF CONFUSION Secret Affair

61 ( 44 ) SINCE I DON’T HAVE YOU Don McLean
62 ( 49 ) CAN’T STOP THE MUSIC The Village People
63 ( 60 ) RUNNING FROM PARADISE Daryl Hall & John Oates
64 ( NEW ) IT’S ONLY LOVE Elvis Presley
65 ( 52 ) WEDNESDAY WEEK The Undertones
66 ( 56 ) JUMP TO THE BEAT Stacey Lattisaw
67 ( 50 ) FREE ME Roger Daltrey
68 ( NEW ) I OWE YOU ONE Shalamar
69 ( 47 ) 9 TO 5 (MY BABY TAKES THE MORNING TRAIN) Sheena Easton
70 ( NEW ) FAME Irene Cara

71 ( 58 ) THEME FROM INVADERS Yellow Magic Orchestra
72 ( 69 ) BACK TOGETHER AGAIN Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway
73 ( 68 ) CHRISTINE Siouxsie And The Banshees
74 ( 67 ) BED’S TOO BIG WITHOUT YOU (6 PACK) The Police
75 ( NEW ) I WANT TO BE STRAIGHT Ian Dury

TV Aug 30th to 5th Sept

1 Star Trek: Patterns Of Force
2 Soap
3 The New Avengers
4 Rhoda
5 The Mary Tyler Moore Show
6 Top Of The Pops
7 Goodbye Gutenberg
8 Mork And Mindy
9 The Morecambe & Wise Show
10 The Outer Limits
11 Chopper Squad
12 Doctor Who
13 Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
14 Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious World
15 The Sky At Night
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 13 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Yay. Looking forward to these early 80s personal charts.

Just looked back at the last page: 'Coming Up' by Paul McCartney did well in your personal chart, I really liked it and its weird vocal effect from when I first discovered it a few years ago, it's my favourite Paul McCartney solo song (that I have heard anyway).

Other tracks from earlier in 1980 I like are New Musik - This World Of Water (a bit of a groundbreaker I think as its one of the first charting pop songs to have electronically pitched vocals in them - and pitched vocals have been everywhere in the charts this decade). John Foxx - Underpass is brilliant (and perhaps influential on later dance music) with its euphoric synths.

As for this chart, 'C30 C60 C90 GO' is a good mix of punk and hop hop. 'Paranoid' is great, definitively one of the best rock songs ever I think. 'Feels Like I'm In Love' - what a classic, great fun, and it sounds like a real precursor to the brief Hi-NRG trend in 1984.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: Jul 13 2019, 06:49 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 13 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 13 2019, 07:47 PM) *
Yay. Looking forward to these early 80s personal charts.

Just looked back at the last page: 'Coming Up' by Paul McCartney did well in your personal chart, I really liked it and its weird vocal effect from when I first discovered it a few years ago, it's my favourite Paul McCartney solo song (that I have heard anyway).

Other tracks from earlier in 1980 I like are New Musik - This World Of Water (a bit of a groundbreaker I think as its one of the first charting pop songs to have electronically pitched vocals in them - and pitched vocals have been everywhere in the charts this decade). John Foxx - Underpass is brilliant (and perhaps influential on later dance music) with its euphoric synths.

As for this chart, 'C30 C60 C90 GO' is a good mix of punk and hop hop. 'Paranoid' is great, definitively one of the best rock songs ever I think. 'Feels Like I'm In Love' - what a classic, great fun, and it sounds like a real precursor to the brief Hi-NRG trend in 1984.

Thanks Snakey, I was shocked to see it'd been 3 years nearly since I last did a 1980 chart ohmy.gif I really enjoy revisiting 1980 too, it's a great year for music! Coming Up was terrific, macca totally moving into the 80's with joy in his step. The US went for a poor live version though, they hadnt embraced the oncoming synth storm yet - and it topped the charts. Go figure!

Now you mention it yes This World Of Water did do pitched vocals and I can't offhand think of any previous example, very underrated band New Musik, that album was terrific. Underpass I affectionately sang along to back then as "UNDERPANTS". Just because. laugh.gif

Kelly Marie should have covered another Mungo Jerry song as follow-up, a hiNRG Baby Jump would have sounded fab - they could have done a combo together and called themselves Mungo Kelly. It would have been better than the actual follow-up at any rate... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jul 13 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
There are so many classic songs here. I was 15 in 1980 and bought my first transistor radio with my pocket money so I was able to listen to all these songs in my bedroom on Radio 1 or Radio Luxembourg.

Tom Hark by the Piranhas is currently one of the songs being played every day at the Cricket World Cup after a wicket falls or a boundary is scored (a few seconds of it anyway). It was also the Arsenal fans' chant for Thierry Henry when he was at the club as it has the right number of notes to fit his name.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 14 2019, 09:33 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jul 13 2019, 08:12 PM) *
There are so many classic songs here. I was 15 in 1980 and bought my first transistor radio with my pocket money so I was able to listen to all these songs in my bedroom on Radio 1 or Radio Luxembourg.

Tom Hark by the Piranhas is currently one of the songs being played every day at the Cricket World Cup after a wicket falls or a boundary is scored (a few seconds of it anyway). It was also the Arsenal fans' chant for Thierry Henry when he was at the club as it has the right number of notes to fit his name.

Hi Rollo,

ah memories of having a tranny under the bedsheets at night with Luxey on Tuesday night chartshows - albeit 7 years earlier for me. Those days mobile phone playlists equivalents I suppose smile.gif

Tom Hark was great fun, a song from mum & dad's teen years back for my early 20's watching it on TOTP together with my finger hovering over video-record...

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 26 2019, 04:09 PM
Post #46
Group icon
You have 'new romantic' in the title but that was more prevalent in 1981-1982 than 1980 I thought. It is however a difficult thing to define and those bands which have been defined as 'new romantic' seem to have been a mix of genres with Brit-funk, disco and synthpop influences.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: Jul 26 2019, 06:59 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 27 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 26 2019, 05:09 PM) *
You have 'new romantic' in the title but that was more prevalent in 1981-1982 than 1980 I thought. It is however a difficult thing to define and those bands which have been defined as 'new romantic' seem to have been a mix of genres with Brit-funk, disco and synthpop influences.

hi Snakey yes the new romantic explosion was 1981 but it's generally thought to be ashes to ashes that kicked it off though actual new acts it was Spandau and visage as the new year approached. Some might argue ultravox with midge ure joining human league Adam and the ants were also pseudo new romantic from this point on. Steve strange and the blitz kids were really the core though I think smile.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jul 28 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Ashes to Ashes! wub.gif Definitely one of the very best 80s songs.

I've cut out loads that I do quite like but these are all particularly great...

11 ( 14 ) START The Jam

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 28 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(dandy* @ Jul 28 2019, 11:50 AM) *
Ashes to Ashes! wub.gif Definitely one of the very best 80s songs.

I've cut out loads that I do quite like but these are all particularly great...

11 ( 14 ) START The Jam

Ashes To Ashes is one of the greatest 80's tracks, too right, and it'll feature in my all-time top 600 pretty much at some point smile.gif

Just when I complimented you on your cheese-free taste, you go and prove you are a little bit partial to a slice after all, now and again - Kelly Marie & Sheena Easton being a couple of best cheddar examples. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 29 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #50
Group icon
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 27 2019, 07:31 PM) *
hi Snakey yes the new romantic explosion was 1981 but it's generally thought to be ashes to ashes that kicked it off though actual new acts it was Spandau and visage as the new year approached. Some might argue ultravox with midge ure joining human league Adam and the ants were also pseudo new romantic from this point on. Steve strange and the blitz kids were really the core though I think smile.gif

I didn't know it was 'Ashes to Ashes' that was considered to have kicked it off. Roxy Music, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army and Sparks possibly all inspired it too though!

I like Visage and I generally prefer Spandau's output pre -1983 to after it I think (with the exception of the classic 'Gold' of course). And speaking of new romantics, I am looking forward to seeing how my recent BJSC Legends entry does in your chart once you reach 1982!

I also think Adam and the Ants also owed a lot to glam rock back in the early 70s too though (especially 'Antmusic')!

This post has been edited by TheSnake: Jul 29 2019, 06:56 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 30 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 29 2019, 07:20 PM) *
I didn't know it was 'Ashes to Ashes' that was considered to have kicked it off. Roxy Music, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army and Sparks possibly all inspired it too though!

I like Visage and I generally prefer Spandau's output pre -1983 to after it I think (with the exception of the classic 'Gold' of course). And speaking of new romantics, I am looking forward to seeing how my recent BJSC Legends entry does in your chart once you reach 1982!

I also think Adam and the Ants also owed a lot to glam rock back in the early 70s too though (especially 'Antmusic')!

Oh yes lots of synth inspirations like those you mention - Bowie went to the Blitz and met Steve Strange I think, and was directly influenced by the new movement on the video to Ashes To Ashes, and follow-up fashion. I also prefer pre-83 Spandau - I'd go so far as the say I prefer I Don't Need This Pressure On-era Spandau (Chant No 1) and everything that followed wasn't as good laugh.gif

Ooh I didnt look at the Legends entries, must find out what it was....! Pretty much all the New Romantics/synth bands of the 80's were big into Glam Rock, especially T.Rex and Bowie, and Adam had a tribal feel that was almost Glitter-esque, the most drum-based of all the glam rockers.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 30 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #52
Group icon
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 30 2019, 01:01 PM) *
Oh yes lots of synth inspirations like those you mention - Bowie went to the Blitz and met Steve Strange I think, and was directly influenced by the new movement on the video to Ashes To Ashes, and follow-up fashion. I also prefer pre-83 Spandau - I'd go so far as the say I prefer I Don't Need This Pressure On-era Spandau (Chant No 1) and everything that followed wasn't as good laugh.gif

Ooh I didnt look at the Legends entries, must find out what it was....! Pretty much all the New Romantics/synth bands of the 80's were big into Glam Rock, especially T.Rex and Bowie, and Adam had a tribal feel that was almost Glitter-esque, the most drum-based of all the glam rockers.

'I Don't Need This Pressure On' is good - very disco/funk influenced too I think. 'Instinction' is still good, 'Communication' is probably when they started to become too middle of the road for my liking, and definitively 'True', although 'Gold' I very much like.

My Legends entry was 'Is It A Dream' of course, also a very much disco influenced new romantic track.

The guitar solo in Adam's 'Antmusic' in particular is very 70s glam rock in style I think! I do like Adam and the Ants, good fun - the dandy* highwayman!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 31 2019, 06:55 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 30 2019, 07:15 PM) *
'I Don't Need This Pressure On' is good - very disco/funk influenced too I think. 'Instinction' is still good, 'Communication' is probably when they started to become too middle of the road for my liking, and definitively 'True', although 'Gold' I very much like.

My Legends entry was 'Is It A Dream' of course, also a very much disco influenced new romantic track.

The guitar solo in Adam's 'Antmusic' in particular is very 70s glam rock in style I think! I do like Adam and the Ants, good fun - the dandy* highwayman!

Ah Classix Nouveau, good choice - still sounds pretty good that one smile.gif Instinction and Gold I rate as in amongst their better singles, True I really rated at the time, but am so sick of hearing it now I groan every time I accidentally catch it - but it did at least inspire Set Adrift On Memory Bliss which I still love. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 20 2019, 06:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
9th September 1980

It's 2 weeks on top for the fab Ashes To Ashes as Randy Crawford flies up the chart in 7 days, not one, that'll be a fine 53 spots to 5 and a debut top 10 for her. The Jam are well into their peak era, Start-ing as they mean to go on - for 2 years at any rate, up to 7 and their 2nd top 10 in a row. Black Sabbath keep the spirit of 1970 alive, getting Paranoid at 8, and Elvis does the same, even though he's not keeping his own spirit alive, as It's Only Love shoots up to 23. The Beat also get a top 10 with Best Friend making it 2 in a row too for the ska lads.

Highest new entry is Queen going all Chic in the rhythm section, Another One Bites The Dust being an incredible change of style that was totally unexpected - John Deacon starting to affect hit singles now, and not just Freddie & Brian. In at 26, and fab. Irene Cara not only reaches the heights of Fame at 27, her touching ballad from the movie also enters at 60. It's quite possible I saw the film around this time! Shalamar get a second time around, and owe me one - or actually 3 under the name, or 2 with the hit-era lineup of Jeffrey, Howard & Jody.

Paul McCartney damages his own chances of a follow-up to the follow-up hit off his latest album, as the very quirky Temporary Secretary was released as a 25000 limited-edition 12" - a shame as it's very upbeat electro-pop and not what you'd expect from a Beatle at this stage in his career. In at 62 as my own "sales" charts are not limited-editions. The Cars are back again with a fourth hit, and it's Touch And Go. Literally. Judas Priest are United. I'm usually united in not rating Judas Priest, but there you go in at 69. Joan Armatrading is still all Me Myself I as she goes all the way to America at 73, leaving bottom rung a quiet early entry for a new track from Barbra Streisand, written by Barry Gibb, and called A Woman In Love. It drops out next week - but it'll be back once it gets some airplay....

Meanwhile on TV, cos I was unemployed and had time to watch lots of TV, and then rate it, Soap is the top show of the week, cos it was mad, irreverent and a huge piss-take, and enormously funny. I needed cheering up. I'm shocked to see how high I rated Laverne & Shirley! Then again their brand of amiable slapstick set in the 50's was adorable at times. Think French & Saunders in a US sitcom setting of dumb-but-loveable characters. TISWAS is at 4: back when Chris Tarrant took the pee out of kids, and was funny, and Lenny Henry did impressions and was funny, and pop stars turned up to get custard pies in the face and join in the fun. Abba and Marc Bolan had specials, TOTP wasn't as hugh-up as you might think, and Arthur C. Clarke analyses various phenomena (doot-doooo-de-do-do, Mah Na Mah Na...etc). I'm reading Dr Brian Cox at the mo, still a huge interest in the universe.

3 ( 4 ) I DIE YOU DIE Gary Numan
4 ( 3 ) MAGIC Olivia Newton-John
5 ( 58 ) ONE DAY I’LL FLY AWAY Randy Crawford
6 ( 9 ) SUNSHINE OF YOUR SMILE Mike Berry
7 ( 11 ) START The Jam
8 ( 20 ) PARANOID Black Sabbath
9 ( 15 ) BEST FRIEND The Beat
10 ( 7 ) I GOT YOU Split-Enz

11 ( 8 ) TOM HARK The Piranhas
12 ( 6 ) IT’S STILL ROCK ‘N’ ROLL TO ME Billy Joel
13 ( 18 ) DREAMING Cliff Richard
14 ( 10 ) ALL OVER THE WORLD E.L.O.
15 ( 5 ) BANKROBBER The Clash
16 ( 16 ) CIRCUS GAMES The Skids
17 ( 12 ) MODERN GIRL Sheena Easton
18 ( 24 ) A WALK IN THE PARK Nick Straker Band
19 ( 22 ) MISUNDERSTANDING Genesis
20 ( 26 ) EIGHTH DAY Hazel O’Connor

21 ( 13 ) XANADU Olivia Newton-John & The Electric Light Orchestra
22 ( 17 ) UPSIDE DOWN Diana Ross
23 ( 64 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE Elvis Presley
24 ( 25 ) SARTORIAL ELOQUENCE Elton John
25 ( 14 ) FEELS LIKE I’M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
26 ( NEW ) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST Queen
27 ( 70 ) FAME Irene Cara
28 ( 19 ) SLEEPWALKING Ultravox
29 ( 21 ) GIVE ME THE NIGHT George Benson
30 ( 23 ) MARIANA The Gibson Brothers

31 ( 33 ) THE WHISPER The Selecter
32 ( 27 ) SUMMER FUN The Barracudas
33 ( 40 ) IF IT’S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY The Korgis
34 ( 37 ) MARIE MARIE Shakin’ Stevens
35 ( 68 ) I OWE YOU ONE Shalamar
36 ( 28 ) OH YEAH Roxy Music
37 ( 31 ) FUNKIN’ FOR JAMAICA Tom Browne
38 ( 30 ) BABOOSHKA Kate Bush
39 ( 39 ) MORE THAN I CAN SAY Leo Sayer
40 ( 29 ) PRIVATE LIFE Grace Jones

41 ( 53 ) MEANINGLESS SONGS The Hee Bee Gee Bees
42 ( 34 ) SANCTUARY New Musik
43 ( 32 ) THERE THERE MY DEAR Dexy’s Midnight Runners
44 ( 60 ) SOUND OF CONFUSION Secret Affair
45 ( 42 ) WATERFALLS Paul McCartney
46 ( 49 ) LATE IN THE EVENING Paul Simon
47 ( 38 ) BIKO Peter Gabriel
48 ( 43 ) MESSAGES Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
49 ( 48 ) CRYING Don McLean
50 ( 36 ) YOU GOTTA BE A HUSTLER Sue Wilkinson

51 ( 46 ) REST OF YOUR LIFE Racey
52 ( 50 ) SANTA ANA WINDS The Beach Boys
53 ( 45 ) A LOVER’S HOLIDAY Change
54 ( 44 ) COULD YOU BE LOVED Bob Marley And The Wailers
55 ( 55 ) MONKEES EP (LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE/ I’M A BELIEVER/ A LITTLE BIT ME A LITTLE BIT YOU/ DAYDREAM BELIEVER) The Monkees
56 ( 56 ) DON'T BRING ME DOWN E.L.O.
57 ( 57 ) GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME Gerry Rafferty
58 ( 54 ) NO DOUBT ABOUT IT Hot Chocolate
59 ( 35 ) C30 C60 C90 GO Bow Wow Wow
60 ( NEW ) OUT HERE ON MY OWN Irene Cara

61 ( 52 ) 747 (STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT) Saxon
62 ( NEW ) TEMPORARY SECRETARY Paul McCartney
63 ( 51 ) OOPS UPSIDE YOUR HEAD The Gap Band
64 ( 75 ) I WANT TO BE STRAIGHT Ian Dury
65 ( 47 ) ME MYSELF I Joan Armatrading
66 ( NEW ) TOUCH AND GO The Cars
67 ( 59 ) USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT Odyssey
68 ( 63 ) RUNNING FROM PARADISE Daryl Hall & John Oates
69 ( NEW ) UNITED Judas Priest
70 ( 66 ) JUMP TO THE BEAT Stacey Lattisaw

71 ( 62 ) CAN’T STOP THE MUSIC The Village People
72 ( 69 ) 9 TO 5 (MY BABY TAKES THE MORNING TRAIN) Sheena Easton
73 ( NEW ) ALL THE WAY FROM AMERICA Joan Armatrading
74 ( 41 ) LIP UP FATTY Bad Manners
75 ( NEW ) A WOMAN IN LOVE Barbra Streisand

fave TV Sept 5-12th
1 Soap
2 Star Trek: The Immunity Syndrome
3 Laverne & Shirley
4 TISWAS
5 Rhoda
6 Abba In Concert
7 The New Avengers
8 M*A*S*H
9 Top Of The Pops
10 Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious Worlds

11 Best Of Not The 9 O’Clock News
12 The Spikes Gang
13 Butterflies
14 Hong Kong Beat
15 Morecambe & Wise
16 WKRP In Cincinatti
17 The Rockford Files
18 Best Of Marc (Bolan’s TV Show)
19 Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
20 Doctor Who

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 10 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
16th September 1980

It's 4 weeks on top for David Bowie's Ashes To Ashes as his admirer Gary Numan is up to 2 with I Die You Die, the highest chart position since his Tubeway Army topped with Are 'Friends' Electric in 1979. Elvis hits the top 10 with his 1970 flop, It's Only Love being somewhat better than his various cover versions that were big hits in 1970, and Queen have a bit of a revival in my chart, and their first top 10 since Fat Bottomed Girls 2 years earlier, with the funky Chic-tastic Another One Bites The Dust at 10.

Highest new entry comes from a revitalised debut from Stevie Wonder at 19, going all Bob Marley with Masterblaster (Jammin') as the man himself gets his last chart entry during his lifetime at 75, with the sweet Three Little Birds. Close behind Stevie comes The Police and also the lead single from the forthcoming album, Don't Stand So Close To Me making it 7 top 20's in a row. Paul McCartney gets a big jump with his unusual flop (limited edition) Temporary Secretary, up to 26. In at 37 it's Madness' 5th chart entry with the wacky and wonderfully British Baggy Trousers.

XTC also debut top 40 with Generals & Majors, their first since the brilliant Making Plans For Nigel in 1979, and a host of new entries dot around the lower end, Gladys Knight having the taste of bitter love at 42, but the sweet taste of 8 years of chart entries; Roberta Flack & the late Donny Hathaway bring Don't Make Me Wait Too Long back 8 years after the gorgeous Where Is The Love went top 3, and weeks after Back Together Again gave them a big second top 10.

Splodgenessabounds take the Michael out of Rolf's Two Little Boys, a version radio can still play but chooses not to, Diana Ross' second Chic single debuts with My Old Piano at 48, Gilbert O'Sullivan returns after a gap of 5 years with What's In A Kiss, extending his run to a decade, Odyssey are looking for a way out, Buzzcocks are everything, both of them 2 years into their runs, and Chnage also return with a guest vocal from future star Luther Vandross, though not his first appearance as he'd done backing vocals on Bowie's Young Americans.

The Dooleys make it 3 years of singles as they start to fizzle out with Body language, The Lambrettas get a follow-up entry, Dr. Hook continue the pleasant MOR housewife-appealing hits with Years From Now 8 years on from the quirky and cooler Sylvia's Mother, AC/DC have a new Geordie vocalist to replace the late Bon Scott, so that's 2 years of entries for the band, and 8 years for Brian Johnson. Meanwhile, on TV this week, the best film was the Oscar-winning Paper Moon, giving it black & white 1930's depression-era nostalgia starring Ryan O'Neal, outgunned by his young daughter Tatum. Bear in mind how long ago it seemed in the 70's to people who weren't born then - and then realise the equivalent would be a film set in the late 1970's now....oops!

2 ( 3 ) I DIE YOU DIE Gary Numan
3 ( 2 ) THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Abba
4 ( 8 ) PARANOID Black Sabbath
5 ( 5 ) ONE DAY I’LL FLY AWAY Randy Crawford
6 ( 4 ) MAGIC Olivia Newton-John
7 ( 10 ) I GOT YOU Split-Enz
8 ( 7 ) START The Jam
9 ( 23 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE Elvis Presley
10 ( 26 ) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST Queen

11 ( 9 ) BEST FRIEND The Beat
12 ( 13 ) DREAMING Cliff Richard
13 ( 6 ) SUNSHINE OF YOUR SMILE Mike Berry
14 ( 18 ) A WALK IN THE PARK Nick Straker Band
15 ( 27 ) FAME Irene Cara
16 ( 19 ) MISUNDERSTANDING Genesis
17 ( 11 ) TOM HARK The Piranhas
18 ( 12 ) IT’S STILL ROCK ‘N’ ROLL TO ME Billy Joel
19 ( NEW ) MASTERBLASTER (JAMMIN’) Stevie Wonder
20 ( NEW ) DON’T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME The Police

21 ( 16 ) CIRCUS GAMES The Skids
22 ( 25 ) FEELS LIKE I’M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
23 ( 14 ) ALL OVER THE WORLD E.L.O.
24 ( 17 ) MODERN GIRL Sheena Easton
25 ( 20 ) EIGHTH DAY Hazel O’Connor
26 ( 62 ) TEMPORARY SECRETARY Paul McCartney
27 ( 22 ) UPSIDE DOWN Diana Ross
28 ( 21 ) XANADU Olivia Newton-John & The Electric Light Orchestra
29 ( 35 ) I OWE YOU ONE Shalamar
30 ( 31 ) THE WHISPER The Selecter

31 ( 15 ) BANKROBBER The Clash
32 ( 24 ) SARTORIAL ELOQUENCE Elton John
33 ( 33 ) IF IT’S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY The Korgis
34 ( 34 ) MARIE MARIE Shakin’ Stevens
35 ( 32 ) SUMMER FUN The Barracudas
36 ( 41 ) MEANINGLESS SONGS The Hee Bee Gee Bees
37 ( NEW ) BAGGY TROUSERS Madness
38 ( 29 ) GIVE ME THE NIGHT George Benson
39 ( NEW ) GENERALS & MAJORS XTC
40 ( 46 ) LATE IN THE EVENING Paul Simon

41 ( 30 ) MARIANA The Gibson Brothers
42 ( NEW ) TASTE OF BITTER LOVE Gladys Knight
43 ( 38 ) BABOOSHKA Kate Bush
44 ( NEW ) DON’T MAKE ME WAIT TOO LONG Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
45 ( 45 ) WATERFALLS Paul McCartney
46 ( 39 ) MORE THAN I CAN SAY Leo Sayer
47 ( NEW ) TWO LITTLE BOYS Splodgenessabounds
48 ( NEW ) MY OLD PIANO Diana Ross
49 ( 49 ) CRYING Don McLean
50 ( 48 ) MESSAGES Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark

51 ( 36 ) OH YEAH Roxy Music
52 ( 40 ) PRIVATE LIFE Grace Jones
53 ( NEW ) WHAT’S IN A KISS Gilbert O’Sullivan
54 ( 55 ) MONKEES EP (LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE/ I’M A BELIEVER/ A LITTLE BIT ME A LITTLE BIT YOU/ DAYDREAM BELIEVER) The Monkees
55 ( 66 ) TOUCH AND GO The Cars
56 ( 69 ) UNITED Judas Priest
57 ( 57 ) GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME Gerry Rafferty
58 ( 56 ) DON'T BRING ME DOWN E.L.O.
59 ( 58 ) NO DOUBT ABOUT IT Hot Chocolate
60 ( 28 ) SLEEPWALKING Ultravox

61 ( 64 ) I WANT TO BE STRAIGHT Ian Dury
62 ( 51 ) REST OF YOUR LIFE Racey
63 ( 52 ) SANTA ANA WINDS The Beach Boys
64 ( NEW ) IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT Odyssey
65 ( 42 ) SANCTUARY New Musik
66 ( NEW ) ARE EVERYTHING Buzzcocks
67 ( 37 ) FUNKIN’ FOR JAMAICA Tom Browne
68 ( NEW ) SEARCHING Change featuring Luther Vandross
69 ( 43 ) THERE THERE MY DEAR Dexy’s Midnight Runners
70 ( NEW ) BODY LANGUAGE The Dooleys

71 ( NEW ) ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER GIRL The Lambrettas
72 ( NEW ) YEARS FROM NOW Dr. Hook
73 ( NEW ) YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG AC/DC
74 ( 44 ) SOUND OF CONFUSION Secret Affair
75 ( NEW ) THREE LITTLE BIRDS Bob Marley And The Wailers

My TV faves 13th-19th Sept 1980

1 “Paper Moon”
2 Soap
3 Star Trek: The Omega Glory
4 Butterflies
5 Top Of The Pops
6 25 Years Of Not The 9 0'Clock News
7 “Return Of The Pink Panther”
8 Mork And Mindy
9 Rhoda
10 The Outer Limits

11 Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious World
12 M*A*S*H
13 Best of Marc (Bolan’s TV Show)
14 Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
15 Doctor Who
16 Panorama
17 Cooke & Co
18 Morecambe & Wise
19 Horizon
20 Where Are They Now

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post Dec 10 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #56
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
Sue Wilkinson wub.gif She released only 5 singles and all were my # 1s.

"You Gotta Be A Hustler If You Wanna Get On" is the one from only 4 songs, which spent 10 or more weeks at # 1 in my chart.

Sadly she died too young. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: Dec 10 2020, 08:10 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 12 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Dec 10 2020, 08:04 PM) *
Sue Wilkinson wub.gif She released only 5 singles and all were my # 1s.

"You Gotta Be A Hustler If You Wanna Get On" is the one from only 4 songs, which spent 10 or more weeks at # 1 in my chart.

Sadly she died too young. sad.gif

Hi Alex, yes I recall you liking her a lot! I didn't know she'd died young though, very sad. I just checked and only 9 tracks have done 10 weeks or more on top of my charts, all of them dating from the 60's and 70's (or 12 if you count one of them as 3 songs released on one CD).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 12 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
23rd September 1980

It's a first week on top for the 4th chart-topper from The Police, Don't Stand So Close To Me. As a former school-teacher Sting knew what he was talking about, and this was peak Police (in the UK) as Sting was pin-up of the day. He was on my Uni wall at any rate. Queen get a first top 3 since Somebody To Love in 1976, and Stevie Wonder a first top 5 since 1977, while Madness make it 4 top 10's in a row as Baggy Trousers sprints to 9.

Diana Ross tinkles her piano up 33 places to 15, as Gary Glitter brings his debut instrumental back at 16, Rock & Roll Part 2 last heard in Joker, but it was fine to see it as an anthem in 1980. XTC get a second top 20, yes Sir! Generals & Majors. In at 24 Air Supply get a second instant top 40, following the fab Lost In Love with what they call a dollop of Soft Rock these days, for the Aussie band I was partial to.

Supertramp mine another Breakfast In America single, Take The Long Way Home in at 31, and the fab Johnny & Mary debuts at 36 for Robert Palmer, his 3rd chart entry in 3 years. Change, AC/DC & Bob Marley all rocket into the 40 in a very volatile week for climbers and fallers. At 56, William De Vaughan decides to re-record his 1974 minor soul classic, Be Thankful For What You've Got still sounding good anyway (I usually am not too fussed about re-recordings), and future biggie Woman In Love bounces back after a brief week in the chart for Barbra Streisand.

The Vapors return, Darts' run of hits starts to fade with Peaches scraping in (they never got over Den Hegarty buggering off, really), and Hall & Oates take on The Righteous Brothers classic - and lose. I mean, I love Hall & Oates, I love Cilla (who had a massive hit cover) but just NO. There is only one version, it will never be improved on so just don't even bother! It is, though, better than the Telly Savalas version from 1975. Who Loves Ya Baby? Not music fans! (Mid-70's Kojak topical reference for the over 60's)

1 ( 20 ) DON’T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME The Police
2 ( 1 ) ASHES TO ASHES David Bowie
3 ( 10 ) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST Queen
4 ( 9 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE Elvis Presley
5 ( 19 ) MASTERBLASTER (JAMMIN’) Stevie Wonder
6 ( 2 ) I DIE YOU DIE Gary Numan
7 ( 3 ) THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Abba
8 ( 7 ) I GOT YOU Split-Enz
9 ( 37 ) BAGGY TROUSERS Madness
10 ( 4 ) PARANOID Black Sabbath

11 ( 5 ) ONE DAY I’LL FLY AWAY Randy Crawford
12 ( 8 ) START The Jam
13 ( 6 ) MAGIC Olivia Newton-John
14 ( 16 ) MISUNDERSTANDING Genesis
15 ( 48 ) MY OLD PIANO Diana Ross
16 ( NEW ) ROCK AND ROLL PART 2 Gary Glitter
17 ( 11 ) BEST FRIEND The Beat
18 ( 14 ) A WALK IN THE PARK Nick Straker Band
19 ( 17 ) TOM HARK The Piranhas
20 ( 39 ) GENERALS & MAJORS XTC

21 ( 12 ) DREAMING Cliff Richard
22 ( 15 ) FAME Irene Cara
23 ( 13 ) SUNSHINE OF YOUR SMILE Mike Berry
24 ( NEW ) ALL OUT OF LOVE Air Supply
25 ( 22 ) FEELS LIKE I’M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
26 ( 26 ) TEMPORARY SECRETARY Paul McCartney
27 ( 24 ) MODERN GIRL Sheena Easton
28 ( 29 ) I OWE YOU ONE Shalamar
29 ( 68 ) SEARCHING Change featuring Luther Vandross
30 ( 36 ) MEANINGLESS SONGS The Hee Bee Gee Bees

31 ( NEW ) TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME Supertramp
32 ( 18 ) IT’S STILL ROCK ‘N’ ROLL TO ME Billy Joel
33 ( 25 ) EIGHTH DAY Hazel O’Connor
34 ( 28 ) XANADU Olivia Newton-John & The Electric Light Orchestra
35 ( 27 ) UPSIDE DOWN Diana Ross
36 ( NEW ) JOHNNY AND MARY Robert Palmer
37 ( 73 ) YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG AC/DC
38 ( 21 ) CIRCUS GAMES The Skids
39 ( 75 ) THREE LITTLE BIRDS Bob Marley And The Wailers
40 ( 42 ) TASTE OF BITTER LOVE Gladys Knight

41 ( 64 ) IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT Odyssey
42 ( 23 ) ALL OVER THE WORLD E.L.O.
43 ( 31 ) BANKROBBER The Clash
44 ( 44 ) DON’T MAKE ME WAIT TOO LONG Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
45 ( 34 ) MARIE MARIE Shakin’ Stevens
46 ( 32 ) SARTORIAL ELOQUENCE Elton John
47 ( 47 ) TWO LITTLE BOYS Splodgenessabounds
48 ( 45 ) WATERFALLS Paul McCartney
49 ( 38 ) GIVE ME THE NIGHT George Benson
50 ( 53 ) WHAT’S IN A KISS Gilbert O’Sullivan

51 ( 33 ) IF IT’S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY The Korgis
52 ( 55 ) TOUCH AND GO The Cars
53 ( 54 ) MONKEES EP (LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE/ I’M A BELIEVER/ A LITTLE BIT ME A LITTLE BIT YOU/ DAYDREAM BELIEVER) The Monkees
54 ( 57 ) GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME Gerry Rafferty
55 ( 58 ) DON'T BRING ME DOWN E.L.O.
56 ( NEW ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU’VE GOT (1980 VERSION) William De Vaughan
57 ( 49 ) CRYING Don McLean
58 ( 50 ) MESSAGES Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
59 ( 43 ) BABOOSHKA Kate Bush
60 ( 59 ) NO DOUBT ABOUT IT Hot Chocolate

61 ( 40 ) LATE IN THE EVENING Paul Simon
62 ( 30 ) THE WHISPER The Selecter
63 ( 35 ) SUMMER FUN The Barracudas
64 ( 46 ) MORE THAN I CAN SAY Leo Sayer
65 ( 66 ) ARE EVERYTHING Buzzcocks
66 ( 41 ) MARIANA The Gibson Brothers
67 ( 70 ) BODY LANGUAGE The Dooleys
68 ( RE ) A WOMAN IN LOVE Barbra Streisand
69 ( 63 ) SANTA ANA WINDS The Beach Boys
70 ( 62 ) REST OF YOUR LIFE Racey

71 ( 56 ) UNITED Judas Priest
72 ( NEW ) WAITING FOR THE WEEKEND The Vapors
73 ( NEW ) PEACHES Darts
74 ( NEW ) YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVIN’ FEELIN’ Daryl Hall & John Oates
75 ( NEW ) THE QUARTER MOON The V.I.P.’s

TV 20th-26th Sept
1 Star Trek: A Piece Of The Action
2 “The Sugarland Express”
3 Soap
4 The Worst Of It’ll Be Alright On The Night
5 Parkinson (Wed)
6 Top Of The Pops
7 Not The Lot Of The 9 O’Clock News
8 M*A*S*H
9 The New Avengers
10 Rhoda
11 The Outer Limits
12 Film ’80
13 Butterflies
14 Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious World
15 Best Of Marc (Bolan’s TV Show)

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post Dec 12 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #59
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Dec 12 2020, 07:19 PM) *
I just checked and only 9 tracks have done 10 weeks or more on top of my charts, all of them dating from the 60's and 70's (or 12 if you count one of them as 3 songs released on one CD).

Honestly I don't know any triple singles from 60s or 70s.

Most weeks at # 1 in my chart :
14 weeks : Anmary - Beautiful Song (2012)
11 weeks : YVA - Brunetes Blondines (2007)
10 weeks : Sue Wilkinson - You Gotta Be A Hustler If You Wanna Get On (1980)
10 weeks : Sinead Quinn - I Can't Break Down (2003)
9 weeks : Blondie - Sunday Girl (1979)
9 weeks : Bucks Fizz - The Land Of Make Believe (1981)
9 weeks : Britney Spears - Lucky (2000)
9 weeks : Steps - It's The Way You Make Me Feel (2001)

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: Dec 12 2020, 05:37 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Dec 20 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #60
Group icon
I like Masterblaster Jammin, one of Stevie Wonder's best songs, the cover in 2000 by DJ Luck and MC Neat I like too.

XTC in the chart, I only know the excellent 'Senses Working Overtime' by them.

All Out Of Love is a very good ballad, there was a rather cheesy eurodance cover of it in 2003 which I quite like too but it only just made top 40.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:16 PM