BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'FRIENDS' · general discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
p a v
post Feb 2 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #121
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Lol Friends is as mainstream as you can get. Absolutely nothing in common with Arrested Development which is a completely different humour and style.

For people who didn't grow up watching Friends it's not as iconic but it is weird to see newer generations say Friends is offensive or not funny all of a sudden. It's been only like a few years. Has the world changed so much?!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Feb 7 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #122
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Feb 1 2018, 11:11 PM) *
Yeah I find Seinfeld a bit too trying to be funny by being loud annoying characters. I've only seen a few episodes when I've been in America though, don't think it ever really took off in the UK.

Seinfeld would be more popular here if it'd aired on Channel 4 and had a decent timeslot. The BBC did it no favours whatsoever... sleep.gif

QUOTE(Dexton @ Feb 2 2018, 02:22 AM) *
^^^^
The Big Bang Theory is godawful I can't believe it's gone on for so long when the jokes are unfunny and the characters are cringy. HIMYM started off really great but soon spiraled out of control in the later seasons, much like most tv shows do, but thankfully ended before it could get any worse. At least in HIMYM the characters were mostly lovable, albeit that was probably more to do with the actors playing them than the characters themselves. Friends is kind of similar but is genuinely funny for the most part, and only goes downhill towards the last few seasons in terms of comedy (which was still strong right up to the end tbh, even if it was less than it began) but in my opinion the story arcs improve. Babies, jobs, marriages, relationships, etc. all seem to get a bit more exciting towards the end ("Dude wheres my car?" "They're in a car????"). Maybe i just have a soft spot for Friends since I was grown up watching it from 5-6pm while sat on the couch eating chicken kievs laugh.gif

Seinfeld remains an all-time favourite of those live audience sitcom types of shows. It's an acquired taste for sure, but so are all of my favs tongue.gif (It's Always Sunny.. & Arrested Development I'm looking at you).

Yeah, TBBT is f***ing shit. The only good thing about it is Kaley Cuoco.

Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. I think only Frasier and The Simpsons in their peak give it a run for its money.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 8 2018, 12:35 AM
Post #123
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
I dunno how funny Friends is but it's cute and has it's moments. It starts off with not many characters that are inherently funny so you just have wacky Phoebe, sarcastic Chandler and fish out of water Rachel playing against three normal people for the first few seasons before they make Joey really thick and Monica OCD and an ex-fat person.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Feb 8 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #124
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
QUOTE(ionderella @ Feb 2 2018, 03:36 PM) *
Lol Friends is as mainstream as you can get. Absolutely nothing in common with Arrested Development which is a completely different humour and style.

For people who didn't grow up watching Friends it's not as iconic but it is weird to see newer generations say Friends is offensive or not funny all of a sudden. It's been only like a few years. Has the world changed so much?!

Friends is mainstream, but I was talking about Seinfeld in that part tongue.gif Reffering it’s aquired taste to that of Arrested Development. Although AD is more of a “you either get it or you don’t” sort of comedy.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Aug 23 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #125
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Friends is coming back to UK TV with Channel 5 airing a double bill weekdays at 4pm from September. This comes after it was revealed to be the most streamed show in the UK!

It’s the show that never dies! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 23 2018, 07:49 AM
Post #126
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Well when its only competition is the god awful, loud, obnoxious, ego driven Seinfield for people with no sense of humour and the even WORSE BBT/ cheesy cheap rip off HIMYM with the most unbelievable character ever, Barnie, plus its rife sexism, it's no surprise it godstomps.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 23 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #127
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
So the switch to Comedy Central didn't ramp up the viewers for them?

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Aug 23 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #128
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Comedy Central and Channel 5 are both owned by Viacom so probably just a case of programme sharing to fill gaps (like CBB airing on MTV)!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Aug 23 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #129
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
I must say I am as a big a Friends fanatic as they come and can quote most episodes word for word, so it returning to terrestial TV is great news. Part of it's appeal was that it had such heart at the centre of it, but also great comedy moments as well, and everyone recognised a bit of themselves in each of the characters.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 23 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #130
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Jüpiter @ Feb 8 2018, 01:35 AM) *
I dunno how funny Friends is but it's cute and has it's moments. It starts off with not many characters that are inherently funny so you just have wacky Phoebe, sarcastic Chandler and fish out of water Rachel playing against three normal people for the first few seasons before they make Joey really thick and Monica OCD and an ex-fat person.

Monica was always ocd.

They played on funny situations in the first few seasons but changed it to funny characters later. They stretched the reality of situations to the limit at the wedding - take, you, Rachel - and from there moved to emphasis on t characters.

This is gonna be a ratins winner for 5!

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Aug 23 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #131
Group icon
QUOTE(YOUSHALLNOTPEEN! @ Aug 23 2018, 08:49 AM) *
Well when its only competition is the god awful, loud, obnoxious, ego driven Seinfield for people with no sense of humour and the even WORSE BBT/ cheesy cheap rip off HIMYM with the most unbelievable character ever, Barnie, plus its rife sexism, it's no surprise it godstomps.

Just because Jerry has "an ego", that doesn't stop Seinfeld from being the best sitcom of all time. Friends does the soapy bits well, but from a comedic perspective, it isn't in the same league as Seinfeld! cool.gif

In footballing terms - Seinfeld is like Manchester City and Friends is more like Bristol City laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Seinfeld: Aug 23 2018, 08:39 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 23 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #132
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Aug 23 2018, 09:22 PM) *
Just because Jerry has "an ego", that doesn't stop Seinfeld from being the best sitcom of all time. Friends does the soapy bits well, but from a comedic perspective, it isn't in the same league as Seinfeld! cool.gif

In footballing terms - Seinfeld is like Manchester City and Friends is more like Bristol City laugh.gif

What? There's no ball! There's no football, except in Friends! Seinfield haan't got a single joke in the whole series

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #133
Group icon
User: 13,007
Don't really want to get caught in this never-ending arguement but I don't get how you can love Friends but hate Seinfeld when Seinfeld did what Friends did FIRST and arguably better in parts. I love both shows and think I prefer Friends but both are brilliant. Stop the hate D:

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Aug 23 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #134
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
I've never actually seen Seinfield D:

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 23 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #135
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Good!

Saved you some time

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Aug 23 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #136
Group icon
QUOTE(YOUSHALLNOTPEEN! @ Aug 23 2018, 09:54 PM) *
What? There's no ball! There's no football, except in Friends! Seinfield haan't got a single joke in the whole series

I honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

QUOTE(Botchia @ Aug 23 2018, 10:29 PM) *

Michael! hasn't seen Seinfeld either, but he's trolling again as usual.

You have to watch it though, it really makes you appreciate good comedy.

QUOTE(YOUSHALLNOTPEEN! @ Aug 23 2018, 10:33 PM) *
Good!

Saved you some time

STOP TROLLING ALL THE TIME.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #137
Group icon
User: 13,007
QUOTE(Botchia @ Aug 23 2018, 10:29 PM) *

You could do worse than it! It's very eccentric and absurd at times and the concept is 'mundane everyday events turned up to the extreme/on their head' but it's hilarious and witty and very smart with its humour. It also lends itself to a fair few ideas that appear in Friends.

Not the most loveable of casts but that's the point! They are everymen, people next door; flawed, useless, deranged at times - VERY relatable.

A wittier, more eccentric and 'alternate' Friends.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Aug 24 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #138
Group icon
Friends was good at times, but it really was atrocious towards the end. Joey trying to speak French is possibly the worst episode on any TV show.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 24 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #139
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Aug 24 2018, 11:30 PM) *
Friends was good at times, but it really was atrocious towards the end. Joey trying to speak French is possibly the worst episode on any TV show.

That was a terrible episode I'll give you that

I just skip it

But you have big bang theory which has even worse episodes

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Aug 24 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #140
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
QUOTE(YOUSHALLNOTPEEN! @ Aug 23 2018, 08:49 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Never have I seen anyone else more perfectly sum up my thoughts on these two TV shows.

I also don't get a lot of the references in Seinfeld tbh idk if it's due to them being old or due to not being American. It also feels like a straight person show :/ if u know what I mean

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:54 PM