BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Yes Minister
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post May 28 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
I've just been re-watching my DVD's of this, and even though it was made 30+ years ago, it's amazing how much resonance it still has with today's politics.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post May 28 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Basically 80% of my posts on the News & Politics page are clips from Yes (Prime) Minister, so you can tell I'm a big fan of it.

The entire series was put on Netflix last month (well, all but the 2013 remake, but we don't count that for obvious reasons), and I've loved binge watching it again. Like you say, quite a lot of it is still incredibly relevant and applicable to the present day, even if the names and situations are different (the big one of course being the Soviet Union, which collapsed not long after the final episode). My favourite episode is probably the one with the hospital without patients (which no-one who runs the hospitals seems to have a problem with, as it's the most efficient and clean hospital in the country), and the episode where they get around an alcohol ban on a trip in an Islamic country by setting up a private control room in the next room with a fully stocked drinks cabinet (which amazingly, was based on a real-life incident).

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 28 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Yes, apart from things like those references to the Soviet Union, the scripts do remain remarkably relevant, Watching it, the only thing that dates it are the production values such s the fixed cameras. That and the fact that some of the cast are no longer with us sad.gif It just goes to show how difficult it can be to get any real change in British politics when a near 40-year-old show still has such relevance.

I also have to agree that the 2013 remake is best forgotten.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 28 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Recently got into political satire a lot more (due to growing up and being more interested in politics in the first place as well as obviousy the current state of the political world!) so will hopefully give this a watch at some point!

Just recently watched The Thick of It (often compared to as a modern Yes Minister!) as it was excellent! Really brilliant cast and so many hilarious moments.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post May 28 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Whilst The Thick of It definitely has its moments, and has seeped into popular culture in the past few years, it doesn't have the same appeal to me as Yes Minister, mainly because whilst both are satirical, it is only YM that I find to be consistently, genuinely funny.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post May 29 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 28 2017, 09:20 PM) *
Yes, apart from things like those references to the Soviet Union, the scripts do remain remarkably relevant, Watching it, the only thing that dates it are the production values such s the fixed cameras. That and the fact that some of the cast are no longer with us sad.gif It just goes to show how difficult it can be to get any real change in British politics when a near 40-year-old show still has such relevance.

I also have to agree that the 2013 remake is best forgotten.

I find nowadays that the extreme bureaucracy parts wind me up more than they did at the time, though.

I did record the 2013 version, but can't find the DVD.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:34 AM