BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Unpopular Opinions: Spice Girls BuzzJack Edition
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Mar 14 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Totally stolen this idea from the Little Mix forum, ta Jonjo 💋

Use this thread to share your unpopular Spice Girls related opinions (i.e.you assume the majority of the fan base and/or the public would disagree with you!)

I'll start with...

I'll Be There is my least favourite "original" single by Emma 😲 (I'd only consider her covers of Crickets, Downtown and I Know Him So well to be worse singles).

I think Emma has a superior singing voice to Melanie C. Maybe not in terms of overall technical ability, but... it's far more pleasant sounding kink.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Mar 14 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I hate you already gtfo!!! nono.gif pirate.gif mad.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Mar 14 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
My unpopular opinion is I think Lullaby was actually a decent single and is underrated.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 14 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Mar 14 2019, 06:37 PM) *
I hate you already gtfo!!! nono.gif pirate.gif mad.gif

You could never hate me! angel.gif

Now share your unpopular opinions and let's see if I have reason to hate you cool2.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 14 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
Victoria has never really added anything to the group bar celebrity after she met David.

Mama has slowly over the years worked it's way up my fave list and sonically it is the 1 song that absolutely comes alive when they tour.

Mel C could just about scrape together a solid 15 tracks album from Reason, BI, TT, the sea and VOM, she is the queen of drab filler.

Emma has by far the most solid solo career quality wise.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Mar 14 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I actually really like 'Take My Breath Away' and 'Desire'.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Mar 14 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #7
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
For Once In My Life is one of the best Spice-related tracks

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 14 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Mar 14 2019, 08:03 PM) *
For Once In My Life is one of the best Spice-related tracks

It is generic as hell but it is defo top class generic. Katy Perry would have had a huge hit with it back in the day.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 14 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217
Melanie C should stop releasing albums on Red Girl and get herself a record deal so she can get better producers who actually write her some decent tunes instead of the drab she has been releasing since her This Time album.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 14 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
On the Horizon and If That Were Me are both great!!

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 14 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Victoria’s fashion designer job is even more boring than Emma working at Kit&Kin.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 14 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Song For Her issa bop!

+Quote this post
vibe
post Mar 14 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
A Girl Like Me is garbage .

+Quote this post
southernstar
post Mar 14 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 41,834
I don't like Maybe and I Turn To You (Hex Hector Mix) but I love All I Need To Know and Goin' Down

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 14 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
Headlines is not their worst single.
Wannabe and Mama are their worst songs.

I always resented the fact that they lipsinc'ed for most of their career as a group. That really didnt help their reputation as it showed them as half-arsed singers and that really dented their legacy. Perhaps they would have been taken more seriously had they put a bit more effort into that from the beginning.

Mel C might have the longest solo career (without interruptions, ah as of 2019) but her outputs haven't grown at all and creatively she seems stuck in 1999/2001.

Emma's first album was dull as f*** and if she had released Free Me back in 2001 instead, she would have had even more success.
Emma should have toured and that is part of the reason why she was never trully successful as she had the potential to be.
Emma needs to throw herself into more experimental grounds. She would have been excellent with a bit more nuanced musically. She did well with FM and LiM but she could have gone further musically and also perform at places like Jools Holland and more interesting avenues like that.

Mel B is underrated Spice. She really experimented with sounds that were not that popular for mainstream acts at the time of their release.
Her initial run of videos for her singles with Virgin was almost perfect and the most consistently good out of them all. I Want You Back + Word Up + Tell Me + Feels So Good + Lullaby were all incredibly well crafted videos. Even if they didnt get much success, you can't say they were *bad* at all.

Mel B always had the best quality overall to become a mega pop star. Shame she was held back by a lot of factors.

Geri is not a great popstar. I know people love her for her attitude, but honestly she shoudl have been a song-writer. It is not that all pop singers need to be the best vocalists and/or the best dancers. But her performances never felt quite honest/from the heart, which is the main feature of an artist. She just goes to the motions and tries to keep up, and it shows.

Victoria was never really a popstar. You could tell she was not that into it. I am glad she was a part of it, but music just wasnt for her.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Mar 14 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Geri and Victoria just wanted to be famous and they would have done anything to be famous. Emma too to some extent. The two Melanie's are the only two that were genuinely performers, although Mel B changed alot from 2007 onwards and I'd say Melanie C is the only one who truly does it because she wants to perform on stage.

+Quote this post
Eduardo
post Mar 15 2019, 12:21 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 5,804
- I love those never-ending Emma's adlibs at the end of If You Wanna Have Some Fun, I wouldn't mind another minute or two of them.
- Melanie C is great, but think of overrated;
- I preferer Life in Mono to Free Me (they're both amazing though);
- I could say how awful "A Girl Like Me" is, but seeing the previous posts, that doesn't sound like an unpopular opinion at all.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 15 2019, 12:27 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I'm not sure where this A girl like me hate is coming from, it isn't the most amazing album but What took you so long, What I am, Take my breath away, Sunshine on a rainy day, A world without you are all top notch songs.

The rest is harmless pop. There is nothing actually shit on it like Soul Boy.

+Quote this post
Piers
post Mar 15 2019, 02:15 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
I've got several unpopular opinions, but this is probably the main one.

I like every single song on the group's three studio albums and Greatest Hits.......except one. Time Goes By.

That opening keyboard sounds like the beginning of some hellish children's talent show performance. What follows just plods along. It's the only song the group's recorded that I think sounds inauthentic. I also think Mel C's ad-libs at the end are the least flattering she's ever sounded on a Spice song. Didn't like the song on first listen. It's never grown on me in more than 18 years.

I assumed this one was just cranked out by Darkchild...after he'd already given them a few single choices and was ready to take their money and get the album over with. But. No. The girls seem to really like the thing. Mel C...who would seemingly rather eat a light bulb than continue with the group at that point...even suggested it be a Christmas single. She continued to sing its praises even years after Forever crashed and burned.

I wouldn't be shocked if it even springs up at the reunion show. I'll grin and bear it.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 15 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
I kinda love the demo version of Wannabe more than the actual album/single version

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:18 AM