BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sporting Issues: Gender Equality
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 26th March 2021, 09:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

(or lack of it, in some cases)

I feel like this is definitely a sport-by-sport issue - I know when I watch the alpine skiing for example, both the men and the women get pretty much equal coverage at World Cup events and the female skiers are probably as well known as the men in some cases. Then I switch over to cycling where there basically isn't any coverage of the women's side of things, and you read about 'big wins' such as top level female cyclists getting professional licenses for the first time this year, and one team setting the minimum wage of female riders to the same as that of men. Obviously the pay gap is another massive issue, and it must go hand-in-hand with the amount of coverage each side of a sport gets - if there is less coverage then there's less interest, less sponsors and hence less money.

Feel free to share any other examples of this / ways in which it can be addressed.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th March 2021, 10:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

How the gap in prize money looked in 2014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29744400

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th March 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #3
Group icon

No snooker coverage of the women's tour on telly.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 27th March 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon

QUOTE(Mack. @ Mar 26 2021, 10:50 PM) *
How the gap in prize money looked in 2014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29744400

To be fair 30% is less than I expected - although I see that this article only includes prize money and not wages, I imagine the number would be quite a bit bigger if wages were included.

Even when the coverage is available it's not always taken advantage of - I remember in the Tour de France one year at the end of the episode they said something along the lines of 'we were going to show you La Course but the men's race was just too exciting so we didn't' mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post 30th March 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27

Rebecca Welch has been appointed as the first female referee in the EFL. Hopefully there will be a time when this becomes more common place and won't be talked about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56578350

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 31st March 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon

I think a sport where there is gender equality is horse racing, where we've seen Rachael Blackmore become the leading jockey at the Cheltenham Festival.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 31st March 2021, 08:50 PM
Post #7
Group icon

QUOTE(Flatcap @ Mar 30 2021, 05:08 PM) *
Rebecca Welch has been appointed as the first female referee in the EFL. Hopefully there will be a time when this becomes more common place and won't be talked about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56578350

Indeed - I've read a couple of books where they've referred to the 'female referee' making a crucial error etc., but it's something all refs do numerous times in their career and you wouldn't say 'the male referee made a mistake' would you? Hopefully this is the first of many steps in the right direction.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 31st March 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Mar 31 2021, 09:50 PM) *
Indeed - I've read a couple of books where they've referred to the 'female referee' making a crucial error etc., but it's something all refs do numerous times in their career and you wouldn't say 'the male referee made a mistake' would you? Hopefully this is the first of many steps in the right direction.

It would be great if they refer as the referee.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:48 AM