BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> john's 1990 charts, Madchester, raves. Apparently.....
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jul 14 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #61
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 13 2019, 09:00 PM) *
A lot of classics here,

'Tom's Diner' is very nice. It has those 'lounge vibes' to it! 'Where Are You Baby' and 'Groove is In The Heart' are cheesy but both fun disco influenced tunes. Betty Boo's put-on voice in the middle part of 'Doin the Do' does remind me a bit of a bit early 10s Nicki Minaj so Mrs Boo might have been ahead of her time! 'Show Me Heaven', another one of those rather cheesy synthpop love ballads that apparently were a trend in the late 80s and early 90s. I do think it's one of the better of them though. Elton's Sacrifice I have a soft spot for as I used to hear it played a few times at my local cafe when i was younger (they must have had it on their playlist). Very nice song , I like the synths in it. 'What Time Is Love' is very good, I only discovered The KLF a year or so ago when reading the 90s dance number 1s thread on Buzzjack. My favorite KLF song is 'Last train to Trancentral' which was featured recently in BJSC Legends. 'Rockin Over The Beat' further up the page is easily my favourite Technotronic song, it has a bit more emotion to it I think than their other singles. 'Life's What You Make It' is another good track from Talk Talk, I like the guitar in it particularly. And finally, 'I've Been Thinking About You' just entering your chart lower down! It's a very charming song. It does remind me of Fine Young Cannibals, the Londonbeat singer does sound a bit like their vocalist I think.

I see earlier in this thread that the 49ers Touch me was a big #2 hit for you, great tune, with one of the best uses of pitched vocals in a dance song, there have been some awful uses of pitched vocals in chart dance songs this decade! Their follow up 'Don't You Love Me' is great too.

Hi Snakey, smile.gif

yes I love Tom's Diner, the DNA version is way better than the original acapella. Betty was a bit of fun, ditto Deee-Lite and their retro60's vibes mashed-up in 90's. Betty was originally based on the comic character Betty Boop but she had to drop the "p" for legal reasons - I think Universal owned it - the theme park in Spain Portaventura still sells the merchandise and has the sub-Disney costumed-staff strolling about laugh.gif

Sacrifice topped my chart in 1989 when Elton couldn't sell records to save his life - even though he was doing great stuff. By the time it became a monster hit and topped my charts again I entered an OD-on-it phase that I haven't come out of yet laugh.gif It's still nice though. KLF were my top dance act of 1992, no question, just fab. Check out the early very un-KLF Kylie Said To Jason which is tuneful and hilarious, I loved it smile.gif

Londonbeat's Jimmy Helms had a terrific vocal range - you can hear it on his 1973 hit Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse. The song's a bit average these days, but he hits those notes! Agree about vocal pitching, it's quite the cliche these days and I turn off most songs that do it. I love originality in music, and new sounds, but when everyone jumps on the bandwagon it's time to kill it off....!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 14 2019, 09:26 AM
Post #62
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 14 2019, 12:14 AM) *
I remember the Craig DAvid one as I was into him at the time.

Playing it now out of curiosity, it's sounds vaguely familiar and mildly pleasant but I remember his earlier chart-topper for me (Walkin' Away) and later chart-topper (Hot Stuff) much better. I think it was the jazz-vibe warbling that put me off laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 02:57 AM