BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dead British girl, 14, has been cryogenically frozen
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post Nov 18 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
A 14 year-old British girl who has died of cancer loved life so much that she's asked to be cryogenically frozen at a cost of £37,000 to her parents in the hope that one day they may be able to bring her back to life.

Walt Disney is also frozen I believe.

She lived in London with her mum who was separated from her dad. It required the signatures of both parents and her father refused to sign. It went to court and the judge granted permission just before she died on Oct. 17th. She's now frozen in the US.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Nov 18 2016, 10:04 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 18 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
That raises an interesting issue : would people here want to be cryogenically frozen?

Personally, I would not.

First off, it must be a million to one shot at best, so I'd rather my family inherit the money it would cost

Secondly, on the outside chance it worked, the world of the future would be so changed that it'd be virtually impossible to handle, let alone the knowledge that everyone you knew was dead...

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Nov 18 2016, 09:31 AM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 18 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Also it assumes they've found a cure for her cancer by then too.

Yes I would do it if I can afford it. I have been considering it before I read this. I remember starting a thread on DS about it. Why not? As she said in her letter to the judge, better than being buried and rotting. Just been reading about it and apparently there's an annual fee too. So who will pay that when her parents have died? Only 4 places do it, three in the US and now one in Russia. It's illegal everywhere else. Some people have just had their heads frozen.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Nov 18 2016, 10:07 AM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 18 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I think they should also allow people who are about to die to be put in to a coma and cryogenically frozen. If they have the money and it's their decision and they're certainly dying within hours/days then why not?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 18 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Common Sense @ Nov 18 2016, 09:58 AM) *
Also it assumes they've found a cure for her cancer by then too.

Yes I would do it if I can afford it. I have been considering it before I read this. I remember starting a thread on DS about it. Why not? As she said in her letter to the judge, better than being buried and rotting. Just been reading about it and apparently there's an annual fee too. So who will pay that when her parents have died? Only 4 places do it, three in the US and now one in Russia. It's illegal everywhere else.

Didn't realise it was actually illegal. ohmy.gif

Some people have just had their heads frozen.

Yes, I've encountered some of them on Usenet! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post Nov 18 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I wouldn't. Rather just live my life and know I'll be gone forever at the end of it than have false hope that I'd be able to come back (as it does seem incredibly unlikely that it'll work)

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Nov 18 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
I wouldn't bother being frozen, as mentioned, they might never find a cure and I'll be long frozen when I could be at peace in the form as ash, and being frozen isn't really ideal. Good luck to the girl (and Walt) though!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 18 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Definitely? It'd be the only way to see what continues to happen to humans after I die, so if there's a chance, I'd take it. Then I'm also one of those people who never buys the trope of immortality being a curse either.

And if it becomes a common enough thing there would be a job involving acclimatising new arrivals to ~the future~, which is a job I'd volunteer for in a heartbeat.

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Nov 18 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
I'm not sure if I'd want to do it. It would be pretty cool to see what the world is like in the future, but when it comes to time travel topics, I've always wanted to live in the past (like 1700's era). I'm much more interested in how people lived before us, without all the modern technology, than what the world would be like in the future.

I heard about this news this morning and my first thought was the South Park episode laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Nov 18 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Nov 18 2016, 11:18 AM) *
And if it becomes a common enough thing there would be a job involving acclimatising new arrivals to ~the future~, which is a job I'd volunteer for in a heartbeat.

Sounds like an episode of Black Mirror. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 18 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Nov 18 2016, 11:18 AM) *
Definitely? It'd be the only way to see what continues to happen to humans after I die, so if there's a chance, I'd take it. Then I'm also one of those people who never buys the trope of immortality being a curse either.

been watching Futurama by any chance? wink.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 18 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Not lately, although of course I have seen that - if I were thinking of anything I'd be thinking of one of the episodes of Star Trek when they find frozen 20th century people in space (that one with Khan and then that one with Picard preaching about how humans have evolved beyond such base needs as money). I know my sci-fi, is all. But it's just a logical step, if only we were waking up noblemen from the 18th century or the 14th century or whenever, then I'd love to be the one to give them a run down of what's been going on in the past hundreds of years that they've been asleep.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Nov 18 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #13
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176
I wouldn't. Like I don't believe it's as simple as 'find a cure, bring back the dead'... there's bound to be other complications. I can't believe this is actually a thing. Plus its "playing god" in that you're deciding when you want to die rather than just passing naturally when it's your time.

This post has been edited by ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ: Nov 18 2016, 04:44 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 18 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Well death is my ultimate fear so yes bring me back please. x

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to do life again with the absolute closest people to me dead. So I would maybe have to get them to agree to this too, then I'd probably do it kink.gif Very intriguing prospect~

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Nov 18 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #15
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
#IcePact

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 18 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The more I've thought about this today the more I want to do it. Imagine them waking me up in 1000 years time!!!

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Nov 18 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #17
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
#AccidentalMelting

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 18 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I would kinda love to do this (probably not at that cost though), it's the closest you get to actually having a second chance at life. That said, it depends on the age, I probably wouldn't want to do it if I died of old age/natural causes as if you DO actually wake up, you'd...still be old/close to death, although who knows what technology will be capable of then? (Different can of worms there soz)

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 20 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 18 2016, 06:37 PM) *
I would kinda love to do this (probably not at that cost though), it's the closest you get to actually having a second chance at life. That said, it depends on the age, I probably wouldn't want to do it if I died of old age/natural causes as if you DO actually wake up, you'd...still be old/close to death, although who knows what technology will be capable of then? (Different can of worms there soz)

You can just have your head frozen though. Then if they could bring it back to life it would be attached to a brand new body grown in a lab. Some people opt for head only and some for full body.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 20 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
So what happens if the power supply cuts out?

Realistically though, even if a cure is found you can't reverse death. blink.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:25 PM