BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midsommar, out now | director of Hereditary
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Jul 7 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

From writer/director Ari Aster (Hereditary) and starring Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, and Will Poulter.

Out now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 7 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Just came back from this and there is SO much to unpack. I adored Hereditary and while this wasn't as strong as that it is definitely more memorable and mentally scarring. THE CLIFF SCENE I am still speechless.

It's basically The Wicker Man on acid! Go watch - it's love/hate but worth it for the experience.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Jul 7 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

I didn't really like it sad.gif Was stunning visually, but it seemed overly long and became a bit pretentious towards the end. The biggest problem was that it just dragged and became a bit boring.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 15 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #4

I saw a wreath of flowers earlier and immediately thought of this film and its horrifying moments. Say what you want about the film but it's certainly memorable (for right or for wrong!). drama.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 16 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Saw it today, one of those films that just leaves you totally speechless mellow.gif There's so much to admire about it though, the cinematography, costumes and the setting was absolutely immaculate, and it's bright and daylight filming offered such a contrast to the dark themes and there was a beautifully creepy atmosphere that lingered throughout. Florence Pugh was outstanding. The horror went from utterly harrowing to almost ridiculous near the end, but it was always engrossing, I've always really liked The Wicker Man and it certainly shares a lot with that though also easily stands on its own as well.

It wasn't quite as good as Hereditary, it certainly felt padded out for what it was and while the set up was great, as it went on, I did see where it was going and the pay off wasn't the most shocking. I'm glad they didn't go the sacrifice route with Dani after the May Queen, it felt like it kept the story focused on her fulfillment and dealing with grief rather than the horror, the final shot was even darker when you think about it from that perspective

Ari Aster has shown himself as a real auteur in the genre especially with how he has dealt with mental illness in both here and Hereditary, and I'm really glad to see it, like Jordan Peele, he's making the genre much more socially relevant and show it isn't all just jump scares and killers with knives but can actually be built around our real life and the demons we face daily. I really look forward to what he does next.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jul 24 2019, 04:01 AM
Post #6
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

What in f***s name did I just watch??!

10/10

+Quote Post
p a v
post Sep 2 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #7
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

This was absolutely incredible.

The girls in the cinema who sat beside us in the same row had a couple of bouquets of FLOWERS. I don't know how they felt but we noticed it upon leaving and it was creepy as hell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:54 PM