BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Schizophonic', 1999 • 1st Album / 24th Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th May 2021, 04:39 AM
Post #41
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I loved You’re In A Bubble back in 1999, I think it’s aged pretty badly though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 9th June 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #42
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

22 years ago this week, Schizophonic was released! Geri's first solo album, and the first solo Spice album.

A new fanmade video about this era:

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 10th June 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I need to do a full relisten wub.gif

Cannot believe it’s been 22 years though. ohmy.gif happy.gif

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 10th June 2021, 12:53 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

I remember buying this record thinking she was going to be the next Robbie Williams. I had high expectations, she was my favorite. Then I listened to it and it was a bland version of Spice World. I cringed so much when I first heard Lift Me Up. Look At Me was clever, her voice though...
I also remember feeling offended by Geri burying Ginger Spice (now I think it was actually quite clever!)
Thank Godney, Melanie C aka Indie Spice arrived (first song I heard was Ga Ga on the radio, the DJ said this was going to be her first single. And my love for Geri died, like Ginger Spice in her video.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th October 2021, 08:01 AM
Post #45
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

From Andy Watkins' Instagram:

wub.gif Creating classics they're classics to me anyway, lol

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 11th October 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Great shots wub.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 11th October 2021, 11:46 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(dancinqueen @ Jun 10 2021, 01:53 PM) *
I remember buying this record thinking she was going to be the next Robbie Williams. I had high expectations, she was my favorite. Then I listened to it and it was a bland version of Spice World. I cringed so much when I first heard Lift Me Up. Look At Me was clever, her voice though...
I also remember feeling offended by Geri burying Ginger Spice (now I think it was actually quite clever!)
Thank Godney, Melanie C aka Indie Spice arrived (first song I heard was Ga Ga on the radio, the DJ said this was going to be her first single. And my love for Geri died, like Ginger Spice in her video.

I got this album as a present which i wasn't quiet pleased about as i wasn't a fan of Geris solo music, it was bought for me under the assumption because i liked Kylie that i would like the album happy.gif

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 11th October 2021, 03:54 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Oct 11 2021, 11:46 AM) *
I got this album as a present which i wasn't quiet pleased about as i wasn't a fan of Geris solo music, it was bought for me under the assumption because i liked Kylie that i would like the album happy.gif

Lol. How dare they!

I bought Schizophonic because of the hype. I thought this was going to be a weird pop record a la LAM. I listened to it twice or so, I couldn’t believe she left to release a bland copy of Spice World. I remember laughing my behind off when I heard LMU, those vocals still haunt me. MCL had potential if it wasn’t for the vocals. One good thing: there was a potential concept, loved the artwork, and she really knew how to market the record.

This post has been edited by dancinqueen: 11th October 2021, 03:55 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th October 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(dancinqueen @ Oct 11 2021, 04:54 PM) *
Lol. How dare they!

I bought Schizophonic because of the hype. I thought this was going to be a weird pop record a la LAM. I listened to it twice or so, I couldn’t believe she left to release a bland copy of Spice World. I remember laughing my behind off when I heard LMU, those vocals still haunt me. MCL had potential if it wasn’t for the vocals. One good thing: there was a potential concept, loved the artwork, and she really knew how to market the record.

This is exactly how I felt about it too. I wasnt very in love with Look At Me either but thought I HAD to buy it, so I did, and was so dissapointed that she was just basically copying - badly - the same sound of Spiceworld. What a shame. Even the release strategy and the singles that were released were very similar to the Spice Girls brand.

The fact she released LMU (probably her worst song to this day) and started going out with Chris Evans, blatantly for promotion to get another #1 over Emma. It was sad to witness as a fan. Then she did that awful performance at the Brits, which was basically Brexit in between two legs and some gays in their underwear. It was just cringe.

I think this is why I really stopped being a fan of hers back then and havent really supported her since. Everything was just a gimmick to her as a solo artist, and it really showed. At least the others showed some interest in their own solo music for the music, without having to sell out like she did or put a marketing strategy in front of quality.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 11th October 2021, 07:59 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Wow some of you are so harsh!

I’m not really a Geri fan but I think you are all way too harsh on her solo career. Look at me was a brilliant come back single, a bit out there, different to anything in the charts then or since a jazzy poppy weird as hell number. Mi Chico Latino is actually one of the best solo spice songs ever, and while I get the comments re her vocals it doesn’t take away from the fact it’s an excellent track. Lift me up is cheesy as hell yes but only in the same way Mama is. The lyrics are a bit cringe but the melody and music are really lovely. Bag it up is terrible for me but that’s just my taste. Walk away was a stand out for me and probably the best track on the album again up there with the best solo spice tracks. Someone’s watching over me a from the heart beautiful song with a lovely melody again. Goodnight kiss, Sometime, let me love you all good solid tracks.

Schizophonic to me is the second best debut album from the girls easily, also it is very Geri her personality is stamped all over it and was far more interesting than Emma and Victoria’s bland debut albums and Mel B’s all over the place one…those thinking it’s a watered down Spice / Spiceworld maybe need to give Geri more credit for those albums than criticising her for releasing something “unoriginal.”

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 11th October 2021, 08:01 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th October 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

No need to call us trash? Like, we are just expressing our opinions on her music and promo tactics, that's all.

The album is very bland to me, that's no surprise that I have never been a huge fan. Sometime and Someone's Watching Over Me are great songs, but that's all. Her antics to promote it might have been fun at the time for her fans and the general public. That doesnt mean the music was for everyone's tastes either?...

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 12th October 2021, 01:37 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

1999 Melanie C would love these posts talking sh*t about Geri's music.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 12th October 2021, 02:58 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

I absolutely love Schizophonic. It’s everything Forever should have been.

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 12th October 2021, 04:26 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Sideout @ Oct 12 2021, 01:37 AM) *
1999 Melanie C would love these posts talking sh*t about Geri's music.

Melanie C was also the one who publicly said she bought Schizophonic and loved MCL, she invited Geri on stage when they get their achievement award, and she said she wanted to see all 5 together when asked during her Brits solo nomination interview. There’s a difference between been harsh and being critical (“I don’t like Geri’s voice, she knows that”).

When did Geri say anything supportive or not about the girls when she left? It was all about her! She probably asked interviewers to not ask her questions about the girls.

Schizophonic is not a bad album compared to what nowadays solo acts out of girlbands release (Jesy anyone). But it was not good enough to forgive Geri certain stunts she put out.

That said, I agree - let’s give credit to Geri, Spice World is mostly her creature lyrics-wise, she’s smart, had nice ideas and she pushed the girls to get what they achieved. 🙏

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th October 2021, 06:18 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 11 2021, 11:27 PM) *
No need to call us trash? Like, we are just expressing our opinions on her music and promo tactics, that's all.

The album is very bland to me, that's no surprise that I have never been a huge fan. Sometime and Someone's Watching Over Me are great songs, but that's all. Her antics to promote it might have been fun at the time for her fans and the general public. That doesnt mean the music was for everyone's tastes either?...

When did I call anyone trash?

I said comments were harsh. That wasn’t referring to opinions on the music, more the blatant writing off of her success on her promotion antics rather than on the fact many people may have just enjoyed the music. I said above I think there was pretty strong tracks on there in my opinion so this writing as if it couldn’t possibly be that the album was decent but rather Geri and her “cringeworthy attention seeking gimmicky” promotion as ‘fact’ is too harsh.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 12th October 2021, 06:29 AM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th October 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Oct 12 2021, 07:18 AM) *
When did I call anyone trash?

I said comments were harsh. That wasn’t referring to opinions on the music, more the blatant writing off of her success on her promotion antics rather than on the fact many people may have just enjoyed the music. I said above I think there was pretty strong tracks on there in my opinion so this writing as if it couldn’t possibly be that the album was decent but rather Geri and her “cringeworthy attention seeking gimmicky” promotion as ‘fact’ is too harsh.

Sorry, I totally read 'trash' wacko.gif I was reading up on the whole Jesy/Nicki drama and then came here and might have gotten my words twisted. Sorry hun cheeseblock.png cheekkiss.gif

But no, I wasn't saying that people weren't enjoying the songs, of course they were. Just that it wasnt to my taste and I definitely did not appreciate her promo tactics.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th October 2021, 09:29 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 12 2021, 09:58 AM) *
Sorry, I totally read 'trash' wacko.gif I was reading up on the whole Jesy/Nicki drama and then came here and might have gotten my words twisted. Sorry hun cheeseblock.png cheekkiss.gif

But no, I wasn't saying that people weren't enjoying the songs, of course they were. Just that it wasnt to my taste and I definitely did not appreciate her promo tactics.

I would never call anyone trash, it's not even a word I use (way too Americanised laugh.gif ) plus name calling is just not my thing. heart.gif

I definitely appreciate different tastes will have different opinions, it's just the general tone of Geri's debut was weak it was only her cheap promo tactics that got her success rather than specific people not enjoying the era. I don't like Westlife much for example they bore me but I can appreciate they have success for a reason.

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 12th October 2021, 11:33 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Oct 12 2021, 09:29 AM) *
I would never call anyone trash, it's not even a word I use (way too Americanised laugh.gif ) plus name calling is just not my thing. heart.gif

I definitely appreciate different tastes will have different opinions, it's just the general tone of Geri's debut was weak it was only her cheap promo tactics that got her success rather than specific people not enjoying the era. I don't like Westlife much for example they bore me but I can appreciate they have success for a reason.

Westlife were 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
Stop it or I invoke 2000 era Melanie C 😬😂

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th October 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I always thought 'Lift Me Up' had the makings of a great song there, it's just her vocals on it are so... pirate.gif

Maybe sung by someone else it would have been a lot better?

+Quote this post
tommie
post 12th October 2021, 02:06 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

schizophonic is better than spice and spiceworld where you need to edit out the other girls parts to get to geri's xoxo

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:15 AM