BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> George's 20 Favourite Beyonce & Child Tracks, Let's begin the countdown
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
George.keh
post 2nd April 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
After the fun I had re-exploring Ariana’s back catalogue- I thought why not get started on another fantastic artist- and in this case- artists. So I have re-listened back to all of Destiny’s Child and Beyonce’s material and explored some new gems from Kelly and Michelle- who sadly won’t be making an appearance in this list- and here are what I believe to be Beyonce, Kelly and Destiny’s Child 20 Greatest songs:

So we have the following amount of appearances per artist-

Beyonce- 13
Destiny’s Child- 4
Kelly Rowland- 3

Any guesses or hopes for that top spot- or a top ten placing!?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 2nd April 2021, 06:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
20. What A Feeling- Kelly Rowland

We open our top twenty with a gem that is SO OFTEN forgotten but is such a fantastic and optimistic summer song I couldn’t doubt it’s position in this list. The opening piano riff that continues throughout and explodes during the choruses is an immediate uplifting rush and once backed against Rowland’s powerhouse of a vocal performance they sound even more fun! The bridge with Kelly’s building vocal into the ad-libs she sings over the final choruses are POP 101 and I expected nothing less from a song with such a classic pop title! Does it reach the eighties classic with the same name by Irena Cara- not quite- is it one of the most fun and happy dance tracks of the early 2010s- ABSOLUTELY!

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 2nd April 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
19. End of Time- Beyonce

Our first visit to Beyonce’s catalogue is another fantastic dance-pop track that had me gripped from the first time I heard that extended intro. This is one of Bey’s tracks that sounds like it could have come straight off one of Destiny’s Childs albums- Destiny Fulfilled in particular. The military percussion and vocal delivery work so well with the dance production backing it and Bey’s huge vocals and iconic build-up before the final chorus as she roars over the snare drums and horns are peak Beyonce campery.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 4th April 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #4
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
18. Irreplaceable- Beyonce

Without a doubt, one of the defining 00s R&B tracks and rightfully. Her vocal delivery is delicate whilst seething with anger over the guitar accompanied drums. The amount of iconic lyrics in this song is uncountable- she possesses this cold sneer whilst singing them showing no sympathy in the matter but it’s the bridge where she sounds most defiant before heading back into the “to the left” refrain which will forever be a part of pop culture history. It’s no surprise why this song is one of her most successful as every element is quintessential Beyonce and has such perfect 2007 production.

17. Bug A Boo (H-Town Screwed Mix)- Destiny’s Child)

Another track where Beyonce, as well as the rest of the girls, sound cold as ice. The verses are essentially rapped in their quickness as the girls list off every negative trait of the said Bug A Boo. Bey’s vocals over the choruses are as usual, over the top, and brilliant for that reason. “Even if the Pope said he liked you too, I don’t give a damn cos you’re a bug-a-boo” is a perfect example of stupidly genius pop/R&B lyrics of the nineties. Shoutout of course to the Bug A Boo rollcall moment on the Beychella recordings!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 4th April 2021, 12:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Great songs to start this! What a great idea too cheer.gif

What A Feeling is an all time banger tbh I never get sick of it dance.gif Likewise for Irreplaceable which would certainly be in my Top 20 as well if not Top 10. It’s such an iconic anthem that everyone knows

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 6th April 2021, 02:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
16. Listen- Beyonce

Dreamgirls is without a doubt, in my top three movies of all time- I’ve been obsessed with sixties girlgroups as long as I can remember and the storytelling is immaculate- as well as the soundtrack. It was about time Beyonce went full Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey with a massive power-ballad and this has all the extraness of some of their greats whilst also having the added emotion that can only be felt if you are watching it as part of Dinah’s performance in the film. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it is quite honestly a carbon copy of all the huge nineties and noughties power-ballads but if it ain’t broke- and it most certainly in this because this is one of her most breath-taking vocal performances of her career.

15. Drunk In Love- Beyonce

Next up is a song that could not be more different than Listen, sensual, trap, R&B number, Drunk In Love taken from self-titled, Beyonce is one of the songs that is undeniable fantastic and everyone seemed to agree upon release I remember this hanging around in the charts for quite a while and critics being in adoration. She switches from this soaring vocal in the choruses to spitting raps in verses and down to a lower register over other parts. This was a huge moment for Bey as it felt like this was the album where the whole world fully accepted her status as one of the greatest to ever do it. Gonna try and forget that Shawn Mendes cover of this though.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 7th April 2021, 10:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
14. XO- Beyonce

This might be my first hugely unpopular opinion placing this above Drunk In Love. This is one of my favourites from her purely for her ethereal and romantically fairy-tale-like it feels in its lyrics as well as the claps and glitchy electronic production. The music video will always have a special place to me as she just comes across like she’s having the most fun and the time of her life. In a parallel universe this could have been a Lana Del Rey song as the lyrics and the melodies just have this cinematic other-worldly feel I’d love to hear again from Bey- in fact she did outdo this kind of vibe on another track that is still to come.

13. Déjà vu- Beyonce

BASE! This seems to always perform lukewarmly in the rates and eliminators which is such a shame as this is one of her most playful vocal performances and she sounds second to none over that base guitar and the horns (Beyonce and horns is just the greatest combo isn’t it?). Reading the Wikipedia page for this track is so wild- how did I not know there was a petition for this to get a new music video as fans hated the “lack of theme, wardrobe choices and sexual interactions between the pair”. This is Bey at her highest level of Tina Turner-diva and it’s a sound I’d adore to hear from her again!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 27th April 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #8
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Gonna try and forget that Shawn Mendes cover of this though.
I did not know this existed and I am at a loss

This might be my first hugely unpopular opinion placing this above Drunk In Love

Drunk In Love is a masterpiece the fact that XO is just one place above it is criminal

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 4th May 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #9
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
So,e great songs listed already really intrigued to see the rest of your list.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 4th May 2021, 02:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
12. So Good- Destiny’s Child

HOW WAS THIS NOT A SINGLE??? Them verses are so so brilliant and the chopped up guitar riff works so fantastically over the angelic harmonies and Bey’s swagger. This is such a gem and is more fun than quite a few Destiny’s Child singles so it is a shame this doesn’t get the huge love like some of the others. The runs are so beautiful towards the end over the final choruses too- go show some love to this understated, underrated banger!

11. Bills, Bills, Bills- Destiny’s Child

Now THIS was the song that made me fall in love with the group. The song is theatrical in it’s melodies and themes but cold, icy and sharp in delivery and production- contrasted against the harmonies in the choruses and Bey’s ad-libs. One of the greatest examples of the girls being such fantastic storytellers as you feel the anger and are almost routing for their revenge. Just imagine a popstar releasing a song like this in 2021- it would be adored and bigger than back upon original release- can nineties R&B-pop please make a comeback soon?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 4th May 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
So good really is so good !!!

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 4th May 2021, 03:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
So we have-

Beyonce- 7
Kelly- 2
Destiny’s Child- 1

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 7th May 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #13
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
10. Best Thing I Never Had- Beyonce

A song I will never tire of is Best Thing I Never Had. The piano instrumentation is so gorgeous throughout and I am glad the song had this rather traditional ballad production as it remains one of the songs from her that I think will be the most timeless. The bridge is for sure the highlight of the track as her vocal delivery is so delicate, angry, upset- she sings through the pain and the character she makes is remarkable! The runs on this may be all time greatest as well the final half of the song is littered with run after run each one more impressive than the last.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 7th May 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #14
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
Bills, Bills, .bills is one of my favourite Destiny’s Child songs,

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 11th May 2021, 02:02 PM
Post #15
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
9. Halo- Beyonce

From one Beyonce ballad, to the quintessential Beyonce ballad. I can’t talk about this song without saying how the slight EDM-pop production in the chorus really annoys me and I wish it wasn’t there as it’s the only part of the song that makes it feel slightly of it’s time. Everything else however is the reason it is as high as number nine. The lower register used in the first verse is something I’ve yet to seen anyone else master as well as the “darkest night” run that opens the second verse. It’s hard to argue why this has become one of- if not THE- biggest defining hits for Beyonce.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 14th May 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
8. Sweet Dreams- Beyonce

Every popstar needs a spooky-pop moment and Beyonce wasn’t immune. Although I do wish the music video version was on streaming- this song in it’s intense delivery in the chorus as well as the brooding production and the music-box like piano that backs the second verse and pre-chorus is such a fun single. The middle eight although short is a gorgeous vocal moment and takes away the intensity of the song and brings in this softly creepy moment to the song. The strings over the final choruses also deserve their recognition as what better way to increase some tension in a dark pop song than a strings section!

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 14th May 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #17
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
8. Sweet Dreams- Beyonce

Every popstar needs a spooky-pop moment and Beyonce wasn’t immune. Although I do wish the music video version was on streaming- this song in it’s intense delivery in the chorus as well as the brooding production and the music-box like piano that backs the second verse and pre-chorus is such a fun single. The middle eight although short is a gorgeous vocal moment and takes away the intensity of the song and brings in this softly creepy moment to the song. The strings over the final choruses also deserve their recognition as what better way to increase some tension in a dark pop song than a strings section!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:16 AM