BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, 26 May 2017 | Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Javier Bardem, Geoffrey Rush
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 6th February 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Still can't say I've ever seen a Pirates of the Caribbean film but I'm going to have to marathon them before this comes out because this looks fantastic ohmy.gif The only thing turning me off is Johnny Depp but in such an iconic role, I'm sure he'll be fine and not over do it.

This post has been edited by ~josh~: 29th April 2017, 07:40 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 6th February 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

You're in for a surprise if you think Jack Sparrow isn't over the top! tongue.gif However, its what the character is about and its his defining role really so it does suit it! How have you never seen any of the films though ohmy.gif

It'll be so interesting to see how this does financially. The others have obviously been HUGE successes which I'm sure Disney were thankful for considering they're the most expensive films in history! That means I'm sure this one is just the same in terms of expense BUT I'm really not sure it will do as well.

There's so many factors against it, the length of time that has taken to come out and people being tired of the Jack Sparrow character as well as the franchise. There's also the backlash against Johnny Depp as well as a now overcrowded blockbuster market. Previously, it was one of the standout blockbuster films of the year but now there's so much competition (mainly even from Disney itself!!) that a few big films are going to falter and underperform each year. We've already seen a few sequels to massive films flop e.g. Alice Through the Looking Glass and Ice Age 5 last year.

My personal prediction is that it be more middle of the road and do $500-600m.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 6th February 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #3
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

It looks so good! Can't wait. For some reason it's being released as 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge' in the UK and a few other countries.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 6th February 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #4
Group icon
c:

I don't mind Johnny Depp sometimes if he's actually putting thought into the acting, it was him as The Mad Hatter especially that put me off as he couldn't say a line without a random pitch change or eyebrow furrow all in an effort to be quirky. I just wanted to scream 'STOOOOPPP IT' through the screen at him laugh.gif

I also have a little feeling this is going to be just as big as the last couple (maybe a slight decline), it seems to be getting the loads of buzz in comparison to other recent trailers and I think they've knocked it out the park with the marketing so far. I think there may a bit of Johnny Depp fatigue but I think the return of Bloom and addition of Bardem may counteract that maybe ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 6th February 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

The last one with Penelope Cruz was awful, I've watched them all so far, I just hope this is the last in the POTC franchise, they seem to be outdated now. Paul McCartney makes a cameo appearance in this *.*

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd March 2017, 02:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:

Disney really seem to like their CGI younger-versions of famous people at the moment (Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr, Carrie Fisher and now this laugh.gif). This looks really great though, how badass does Javier Bardem look as the villain *-*

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 29th April 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #7
Group icon
c:

The teaser before Guardians has me so hyped for this now. Zombie sharks, pirates running on water, Javier Bardem's floating hair... ALL such cool visuals *-*

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 29th May 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #8
Group icon
c:

Yaaaay, I had loads of fun watching this. Still haven't seen any of the previous films but it was easy enough to jump into the storyline. My favourite character was Javier Bardem's villain, he just looked so cool, that insane grin when he was running towards Jack on the water! I really liked Johnny Depp too, it shows he's still got it when he's in the right role. It did take a bit too long to get to the climax which didn't have a massive pay-off, considering the trident has all this power and they just shattered it to pieces with one hit of a sword :/ laugh.gif. Still was an engagin storyline and Barbossa's ending was sad too.

The title change to Salazar's Revenge for certain countries was odd though. Especially at the beginning when Salazar goes 'dead men tell no tales' in the big moment when the title card appears, doesn't really work seeing as it doesn't have that title here laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th June 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

The weakest of the series I thought, Bardem is a great villain, but the plot just gets messy. Basically a running series of gags strung together loosely with a plot. Everyone wise-cracking as they face imminent (and multiple actual) death gets tiresome, as it's a comedy with no emotional substance - even adventure romps need a bit of audience-identification to get the love going.

I would call it a failed comedy rather than a failed adventure romp. Effects at the end are great though, and the set pieces out of context work fine (like the ghost sharks) but it all just seemed a bit forced.... 5/10

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:15 AM