BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Missed Opportunities
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 23rd January 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

A lot of forums have this thread at the moment, but what songs by Girls Aloud (or from their solo albums) do you think were missed opportunities for single releases?

Girl Overboard is surely the biggest one, three singles felt like way too little for an album as amazing as Tangled Up, surely they could've at least put this out as the fourth single and it would've gone top 10! On the Metro is another biggie, such a huge fan favourite and why it was snubbed for a single release over Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me is beyond me.

Chemistry is surely the ALBUM of missed opportunities??? Its single choices were quite dodgy IMO. Biology was obviously a perfect single as it's a GA classic, and I think Whole Lotta History was a good choice also, but snubbing Swinging London Town, Watch Me Go, Wild Horses and Models for Long Hot Summer and especially See the Day? sad.gif

Solo-wise, Screw You sticks out to me for Cheryl, it always screamed single release and it charted in the top 100 upon the release of the album too. Of course it's clear to see why A Million Lights got shelved as quickly as it did, as the GA reunion was happening around when single 3 should've impacted, but it's still a shame. Only Human is looking to have several missed opportunities too it would seem, the title track and Stars mainly sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 23rd January 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

Girls Aloud being stupid:
- Graffiti My Soul
- Models
- Wild Horses
- Watch Me Go
- Close To Love
- Girl Overboard
- Control Of The Knife
- Fling (but then the whole 'Tangled Up' album could've been a single laugh.gif)
- Love Is The Key
- Miss You Bow Wow
- On The Metro

(What a fucking fab album this would make!)

Cheryl being stupid:
- Rain On Me
- Yeah Yeah
- Only Human
- Stars (we can but hope for these last two!)

Nadine being stupid:
- Put Your Hands Up
- Red Light (As fabulous as 'Insatiable' is either of these two would've done SO MUCH better chart wise. May even have shifted some more albums too!)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd January 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon

Love Is the Key would've made a fantastic fourth single from Out of Control sad.gif And their top 10 streak had been broken by then so that mattered less. Ughhh GA had so many missed opportunities, it's quite annoying really, they could and should have milked each album laugh.gif

The first half of Nadine's album is all a missed opportunity I think, each of those tracks is fabulous, but especially the two you mentioned. She was sadly never gonna go anywhere solo when she had the Tesco deal though sad.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 23rd January 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon

For Nadine I would've handled the campaign as such:

Single 1: Red Light (July 2010) - The most 'Girls Aloud' single on their would've been a great debut for Nadine.
Single 2: Put Your Hands Up (October 2010) - This ANTHEM OF OUR GENERATION to lead the album. Complete with X Factor perf with camera on Cheryl at all times.
---Album---
Single 3: Runnin' (February 2011)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd January 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon

I'd agree with that and chuck Unsayshuhbul on at the end for single 4. And all of this without Tesco's involvement so she can actually spread her wings and achieve that platinum album x

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd January 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Jan 23 2015, 04:10 PM) *
Complete with X Factor perf with camera on Cheryl at all times.

!

At the beginning of the performance:

When the crowd applauds:

(She had a outfit/hair change while the performance was happening x)

(This was just an excuse to post Cheryl gifs)

+Quote this post
London
post 23rd January 2015, 11:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
London Boy
User: 21,053

I could never understand why 'girl overboard' was never released as a single. I absolutely loved that track and I think it would have done well.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 24th January 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #8
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

Watch Me Go, Money, Girl Overboard, Love Is the Key and On the Metro all screamed for release sad.gif

This post has been edited by ♡ Heezus Froot ♡: 24th January 2015, 12:32 AM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 24th January 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

GIRL. OVERBOARD.

Thinking about it, that might actually be my second fave GA song behind Biology ohmy.gif It's certainly top 5 (it's tight)! Also:

Girls Aloud:
Models
Swingin' London Town
Wild Horses
Fling
On The Metro

Cheryl:
Yeah Yeah
Screw You (as has been said though, I understand this one being skipped for the GA reunion, I'd have released this over Under The Sun though even if I do love that song)
Waiting For Lightning (maybe not, as of course OH is the huge obvious choice and two ballads might not make sense but this would be good too)
Only Human

Nadine:
Put Your Hands Up (such an anthem)
Runnin' (I do like Insatiable, but either of these two would have been a way better lead)

+Quote this post
post 24th January 2015, 01:42 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

They have some fantastic album tracks on WWTNS and Chemistry and I much prefer the likes of Wild Horses, Graffiti, Swinging London Town etc to the singles like See The Day, Long Hot Summer, I'll Stand By You.. but I think they chose the most marketable singles from those albums - don't think the remaining album tracks would have worked as singles commercially - amazing as they are.

Girl Overboard should have been a single. At first I was annoyed at the choice of Can't Speak French but that was a pretty big hit for them in the end and if I remember correctly it helped the album LOADS. Sexy! No No No... Is one of my favourite Girls Aloud tracks but, dare I say it, it didn't really connect with the public. Maybe Girl Overboard>Call The Shots>Can't Speak French would have been wiser in hindsight?

Off Out Of Control, I think they chose wisely. I just wish they'd done just one promo bit for Uncotuchable on its release week and gotten it into the top 10!

This post has been edited by Joe.: 24th January 2015, 01:44 AM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 24th January 2015, 08:47 AM
Post #11
Group icon

'Chemistry' is an interesting one to talk about! Don't mind me, I've gone to town with this post. blush.gif The singles chosen from it weren't very representative of the album, bar 'Biology' of course, so I would have made some changes. Firstly, here are my thoughts on the singles they did choose:

I think 'Long Hot Summer' is probably the most "unnecessary" single from the album. I actually love it, but clearly it wasn't very popular at the time, what with it becoming their first single to miss the Top 5. Quite a disaster considering it was a brand new single. So they probably could have avoided releasing that and it wouldn't have been the greatest loss from their singles discography.

'Biology' was the perfect choice of single, nothing else needs to be said!

'See The Day' is a difficult one because it could be argued that it actually benefited 'Chemistry'. The single obviously didn't perform too well in its own right, but it was released two weeks after 'Chemistry'. In the week 'See The Day' entered at #9, 'Chemistry' shifted just under 100,000 copies - their highest weekly sales total for an album so far... so perhaps its existence as a single was actually driving album sales. Hmm. When it comes to personal taste I would rather it hadn't been a single though, plus less cover singles the better.

I would definitely still have gone with a 'Whole Lotta History' release, but only if it had been the sole ballad to be released from the album. It just got an "oh, another ballad... yawn." reaction when it was chosen as a single, directly following 'See The Day'. It's a fantastic song though and I really think it deserved to be released. It was always ~a moment~ on their tours. It just wasn't released at the right time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have gone with these releases instead (with some very specific release dates included x).

31st October 2005 - 'Biology' (1st Single) *
14th November 2005 - 'Chemistry' (Album)
12th December 2005 - 'Whole Lotta History' (2nd Single)
20th February 2006 - 'Wild Horses' (3rd Single) §
15th May 2006 - 'Models'/'Waiting' (4th Single)
22nd May 2006 - 'Chemistry: The Platinum Edition' (Album Re-release)
31st July 2006 - 'Watch Me Go' (5th Single) #

* 'Biology' potentially would have reached #2 in the charts in this week. The actual #2 from this week only sold 22,986, whereas two weeks later 'Biology' charted at #4 with 25,917 sales. That's assuming it would have sold the same, of course.

† This release date (three weeks earlier than in reality) could have been beneficial for 'Chemistry', in terms of chart position. It charted at #11 with 81,962 copies on 11th Dec '05. The 20th Nov '05 chart only required 36,920 for #10, so I think it's safe to say the album would have charted within the Top 10 in this week, even if it hadn't sold as many copies as almost 82k.

‡ Like I said, if they were going to release one ballad from the album then it only needed to be this one. I know it's not a particularly Christmas-sounding ballad, but I don't think it had to be anyway. I would have released it a week earlier than they released 'See The Day'. Less than 14k was needed for Top 10 in this week, and only 20k for #5. The following week 'See The Day' had to sell 20k to only achieve #9.

§ I think GA could have safely released this rather "out there" single in the not too competitive month of February 2006 and got a decent sized hit out of it. It also would have been a nice 18th birthday present for me. x

‖ The tour single, released a week prior to the tour's opening night, so they had opportunity to promote. 'Models' would have also benefited due to having been used as the theme for their TV documentary series 'Off The Record' - the series finale aired on 16th May. This Double A Side single would include 'Waiting', but this would have been the lesser pushed track out of the two; the girls would have mainly promoted 'Models'.

¶ A new version of 'Chemistry', to capitalise on the tour. This version would be a bit of a cash-in, including these tracks on a 10-track bonus disc: 'Nobody But You', 'I Don't Really Hate You', 'Crazy Fool', studio versions of 'Teenage Dirtbag' & 'I Predict A Riot', and dance remixes of the five songs released as singles up to this point. 'The Platinum Edition' would have been stylised as this symbol on the artwork, in keeping with the 'Chemistry' theme.

# 'Watch Me Go' would be my ideal final choice from the album. Maybe 5 singles would have been pushing it, but this is just a fantasy!

By the way, every single from 'Whole Lotta History' onwards would have a single mix, for there to be a bit of incentive for fans to buy the singles.

Congrats if anyone read all of that. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 24th January 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Jay I demand you go back in time and get a job on their management team.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 24th January 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #13
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Models & On The Metro.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th January 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Jay that plan sounds amazing tbh, I think we all need to go and get a job managing music artists as we know exactly what to do

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 24th January 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Stand Up, Sexy Den A Mutha, Rain On Me, Only Human and On The Metro as far as I know

+Quote this post
Mike Sugafan
post 24th January 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 945

Girls Aloud: Graffiti My Soul, Swinging London Town, Girl Overboard, Love Is Pain, On The Metro
Cheryl: Rain On Me, Yeah Yeah, Everyone, Mechanics Of The Heart, Waiting For Lightning
Nicola: Porcelain Heart wub.gif

+Quote this post
inyourroom
post 21st September 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,272

QUOTE(Jay ジ @ Jan 24 2015, 10:47 AM) *
'Chemistry' is an interesting one to talk about! Don't mind me, I've gone to town with this post. blush.gif The singles chosen from it weren't very representative of the album, bar 'Biology' of course, so I would have made some changes. Firstly, here are my thoughts on the singles they did choose:

I think 'Long Hot Summer' is probably the most "unnecessary" single from the album. I actually love it, but clearly it wasn't very popular at the time, what with it becoming their first single to miss the Top 5. Quite a disaster considering it was a brand new single. So they probably could have avoided releasing that and it wouldn't have been the greatest loss from their singles discography.

'Biology' was the perfect choice of single, nothing else needs to be said!

'See The Day' is a difficult one because it could be argued that it actually benefited 'Chemistry'. The single obviously didn't perform too well in its own right, but it was released two weeks after 'Chemistry'. In the week 'See The Day' entered at #9, 'Chemistry' shifted just under 100,000 copies - their highest weekly sales total for an album so far... so perhaps its existence as a single was actually driving album sales. Hmm. When it comes to personal taste I would rather it hadn't been a single though, plus less cover singles the better.

I would definitely still have gone with a 'Whole Lotta History' release, but only if it had been the sole ballad to be released from the album. It just got an "oh, another ballad... yawn." reaction when it was chosen as a single, directly following 'See The Day'. It's a fantastic song though and I really think it deserved to be released. It was always ~a moment~ on their tours. It just wasn't released at the right time.

I would have gone with these releases instead (with some very specific release dates included x).

31st October 2005 - 'Biology' (1st Single) *
14th November 2005 - 'Chemistry' (Album)
12th December 2005 - 'Whole Lotta History' (2nd Single)
20th February 2006 - 'Wild Horses' (3rd Single) §
15th May 2006 - 'Models'/'Waiting' (4th Single)
22nd May 2006 - 'Chemistry: The Platinum Edition' (Album Re-release)
31st July 2006 - 'Watch Me Go' (5th Single) #

* 'Biology' potentially would have reached #2 in the charts in this week. The actual #2 from this week only sold 22,986, whereas two weeks later 'Biology' charted at #4 with 25,917 sales. That's assuming it would have sold the same, of course.

† This release date (three weeks earlier than in reality) could have been beneficial for 'Chemistry', in terms of chart position. It charted at #11 with 81,962 copies on 11th Dec '05. The 20th Nov '05 chart only required 36,920 for #10, so I think it's safe to say the album would have charted within the Top 10 in this week, even if it hadn't sold as many copies as almost 82k.

‡ Like I said, if they were going to release one ballad from the album then it only needed to be this one. I know it's not a particularly Christmas-sounding ballad, but I don't think it had to be anyway. I would have released it a week earlier than they released 'See The Day'. Less than 14k was needed for Top 10 in this week, and only 20k for #5. The following week 'See The Day' had to sell 20k to only achieve #9.

§ I think GA could have safely released this rather "out there" single in the not too competitive month of February 2006 and got a decent sized hit out of it. It also would have been a nice 18th birthday present for me. x

‖ The tour single, released a week prior to the tour's opening night, so they had opportunity to promote. 'Models' would have also benefited due to having been used as the theme for their TV documentary series 'Off The Record' - the series finale aired on 16th May. This Double A Side single would include 'Waiting', but this would have been the lesser pushed track out of the two; the girls would have mainly promoted 'Models'.

¶ A new version of 'Chemistry', to capitalise on the tour. This version would be a bit of a cash-in, including these tracks on a 10-track bonus disc: 'Nobody But You', 'I Don't Really Hate You', 'Crazy Fool', studio versions of 'Teenage Dirtbag' & 'I Predict A Riot', and dance remixes of the five songs released as singles up to this point. 'The Platinum Edition' would have been stylised as this symbol on the artwork, in keeping with the 'Chemistry' theme.

# 'Watch Me Go' would be my ideal final choice from the album. Maybe 5 singles would have been pushing it, but this is just a fantasy!

By the way, every single from 'Whole Lotta History' onwards would have a single mix, for there to be a bit of incentive for fans to buy the singles.

Congrats if anyone read all of that. laugh.gif

WARNING: this is going to be long.

I enjoyed reading this very well worked out "fantasy Chemistry-era" a lot, and I was toying with the idea of presenting an alternative perspective on it, a kind of "why it didn't happen like this" (so if you're familiar with what was going on with the Girls at the time, I'll be stating the obvious quite a bit here), then I forgot about it, and now I was reminded by another topic. Anyway, here it is:

Long Hot Summer
This wasn't really chosen as a single: they had the opportunity to do a song for a movie, which is always a good way to reach a new audience (and Jump worked really well for them earlier), so they took it. I even think if they weren't such a single-orientated band, it wouldn't necessairly have made the album.

Biology
After almost 10 years, still brilliant. Enough said.

See The Day
Putting this on the album is pretty much pointless, unless it's a single. If they just wanted to have another slow one besides Whole Lotta History, Nobody But You (which is actually my favourite ballad from them) would have done perfectly. Also, it seems to me that they felt some pressure to do covers at the time. Their singles weren't played to death on the radio, and programmers are slightly less reluctant to put stuff on their playlists that's already familiar to their audience. I think after finishing the Greatest Hits Tour, they re-thought some things: they kind of gave up making it outside the UK, and with a best-selling compilation album and 2 arena tours behind them, plus a record breaking top 10 run still going, they felt big enough to do whatever they wanted to, and care less about expectations, so they pretty much stopped doing covers and ballads (well, for 6 years at least) on albums.
On another note, I don't really think the song helped the album that much: it was released on the week leading up to Christmas, when sales are always higher than usual, and the album was only out for two weeks, which they were heavily promoting. I'm not saying it didn't help at all, but it doesn't seem like the actual song made the difference (unlike Can't Speak French, which pushed a 4 months old album back almost to the top 10).

Whole Lotta History
It was quite a band favourite, it completed the "science-trilogy" with the dictionary definition on the promo sleeve after Biology and Chemisrty, and probably the least debated single of the era bar Biology, so it's OK.

In fantasy world, skipping Long Hot Summer makes perfect sense, but releasing nothing between February (when Wake Me Up came out) and the very end of October seems a bit too long.

Releasing the album a bit earlier seems like a good idea, though I don't really mind that their chart record is not perfect, it shows that their releases didn't automatically ended up in the top 10, they worked really hard to achieve that. Also I find it somewhat funny, that the only 2 proper releases (I don't count Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me as such) to miss the top 10 are Chemistry and Untouchable, both much more memorable than some that did better on the charts, and both peaked at #11, just 1 tiny step away from the goal.

A single release in February is yet another thing that looks good on paper, but they were actually launching the album in Australia at the time, so it had to be March to support it properly.

If we move on to May, releasing a single right before the tour is something that they've never done, and that's not accidental: they are too busy in rehearsals and putting together the production for the tour around that time, and on top of that in that particular year, Cheryl was also about to get married, so it doesn't seem possible to add anything more to the schedule.

I like the idea of "Chemistry: The Platinum Edition", but only if we lose the Christmas Edition (which wouldn't be such a tragic loss), releasing 3 versions of the same album within 6 months seems a bit overkill.

Single #5 depends very much on how well the previous singles did, and also, as mentioned earlier, Cheryl had a wedding (plus a World Cup) to attend during the summer, and they had a few festival dates (and probably some recording sessions for the upcoming compilation album) in August already, so there wasn't much space to change things.

I thoroughly agree with Wild Horses, Models, Waiting and Watch Me Go being all single-worthy material (and better choices than Long Hot Summer or See The Day), though for some reason I think Wild Horses would have been too good for the general public (but then I remember, so was Biology, and they got that, so what the hell do I know?), and lyrically, Watch Me Go doesn't seem like a good fit for morning programmes and kids TV (which they relied on quite heavily at the time).

To sum up, I think it's great fun to dive into their history, looking at these little details or even coming up with "what would have been" scenarios, just as much as I like being reminded that bands don't exist in a vacuum, things don't always go according to plan (however great the plan might be), and these imperfections give us even more to talk about smile.gif

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 22nd September 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

They should have actually promoted Untouchable.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 22nd September 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #19
Group icon

That was a shame for sure, just one performance. sad.gif

I'm glad you liked what I wrote inyourroom! biggrin.gif <3

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd July 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #20
Group icon

A post on Popjustice (regarding whether Untouchable was the right choice for third single) got me thinking about potential missed opportunities from Out of Control. Honestly I don't think they were spoiled for choice when it came to strong single choices from this album.

I feel like Love Is the Key could have done okay, a radio edit of the Thriller Jill Mix version?

My favourite album track from the album is Miss You Bow Wow, but I don't think it would have worked as a single at all!

I remember Rolling Back the Rivers in Time was a rumoured single choice, but I can't imagine that would have been particularly well received (I like it, but I think it's firmly album track material).

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:46 PM