BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
32 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> On Your Radar (4th Studio Album Discussion) (Part 2), Continue the discussion!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Slick
post Nov 29 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #21
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
This album has done even worse than I thought it would. I thought they'd be able scrape through again with a 200k selling album, but it's pretty clear now that they won't. And after they've sunk to such a generic, predictable, sales-chasing sound too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 29 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #22
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
They have to think very carefully about what to do now. Like Aly says, release a fourth single and risk it bombing - which is likely given that radio ignored MHTO - in which case they would no longer even be considered a singles act and would be as good as over... or cut their losses, let Una take time out for the pregnancy, come back with a new album (a mini album maybe) over Summer and see how that does. I'd go for the latter option. If they're desperate to release Faster they can always tag it onto the mini album a la One Shot.

I disagree that the album is 'predictable, generic and sound-chasing' though. Big time.

+Quote this post
Slick
post Nov 29 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #23
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
QUOTE(jark∞ @ Nov 29 2011, 02:52 PM) *
They have to think very carefully about what to do now. Like Aly says, release a fourth single and risk it bombing - which is likely given that radio ignored MHTO - in which case they would no longer even be considered a singles act and would be as good as over... or cut their losses, let Una take time out for the pregnancy, come back with a new album (a mini album maybe) over Summer and see how that does. I'd go for the latter option. If they're desperate to release Faster they can always tag it onto the mini album a la One Shot.

I disagree that the album is 'predictable, generic and sound-chasing' though. Big time.

Well I'm going from the singles. Notorious and All Fired Up (as much as I like them) sound like any old dancey song with an anonymous singer tagged on, and rather poorly produced on top of that. It's all very Kelly Rowland-esque and she's doing even worse than they are. I need to listen to this album though because I'm seeing them in a few weeks.

+Quote this post
Encore
post Nov 29 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,877
Jesus, out of the top 40 already? sad.gif

I can't see the girls or label bothering to save this album, go ahead with a new album or Greatest Hits now. I think early next year/mid 2012 they'll just call it a day and split. I can't see another major label snapping them up either after this. I want them to succeed so much and become bigger than they are, but it seems they never will truly 'make it'. Horrible thought to think there could be no more music from them, or be able to keep up with what they're up to and see them regularly. That's one thing I love about them along with the music - how personable and down to Earth they are. It's really pathetic how much this has upset me haha. sad.gif

I don't know what they do, I can't see anything saving them. They must be so gutted about how it's playing out. At the moment they're all excited and hyped about the arena tour and that's all the girls are thinking about but after that's finished and after Christmas, I think it'll really hit them how poorly this really has done. sad.gif I can't see a 4th single salvaging anything now. They just don't connect with the wider public now... what went wrong since the Chasing Lights era?

And I know the girls are the only main/current act on Fascination currently releasing material in the UK but I think there's only so many lives Polydor/Fascination can keep handing them - they'll be starting to sit up and realise something is seriously wrong now. There's not much further they can go now. sad.gif Maybe the public just don't seem to see them having that 'spark' or presence about them for the public to sit up and take note of them.

Maybe because the girls seemingly lost the whole 'colour' theme that had an impact? It kinda made them identifiable during Chasing Lights and to a lesser extent, Headlines too - and I think that's when they performed best in terms of sales and overall chart performance. I know they want to grow and progress in style or whatever, but perhaps they should have kept the colours - and made the All Fired Up cover the album cover instead, as they still looked 'mature' but it still had the colour theme there.

This post has been edited by Encore: Nov 29 2011, 04:09 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 29 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059
They can't do ANOTHER mini album/EP. They'll be turned into a laughing stock if they go down that route again, and will only delay the inevitable.

It's up to the label I guess. Do they try AGAIN and push for one final album? Or do they give up?

+Quote this post
BrookeOlivia
post Nov 29 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Am just a girl who wishes for the world - Marilyn Monroe ♥
User: 11,449
Feel sorry for them and there hardcore fans, I really love the album, Its there best album (in my opinion) So i dont understand why its 'Flopping' so bad. sad.gif

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Nov 29 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #27
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
I blame management and promotion. Poor girls had no chance really.
I think release Faster if supported by radio (It's already had a few plays on Radio1) try and keep getting as much singles as they can.

+Quote this post
BrookeOlivia
post Nov 29 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Am just a girl who wishes for the world - Marilyn Monroe ♥
User: 11,449
They need to get a video out for 'Faster' ASAP if the album is already out the top 40, It could be out the top 100 very soon! sad.gif

+Quote this post
DoggySwami
post Nov 29 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,950
Wordshaker had one more single after it bombed so I believe this will have one too.
I also think they had their 'mini album' chance with Headlines! now there is not such a need to cut with the imagery of the current era, they just have to show people they can find poppy stuff too, the dilemma here is should they go with a classic Saturdays hit (White Lies) or with the proper evolution of their most poppy stuff (Faster)?

Random thought: would a Christmas edition help them much?

+Quote this post
Lew
post Nov 29 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #30
Group icon
we'll run where lights won't chase us.
User: 8,567
The thing with Wordshaker is that they made so much mistakes so it was kind of accepted that it did flop. With this, they did everything they didn't with Wordshaker, three singles before album (1 being a ballad) and it was actually fantastic material this time round (videos were also great). All of this makes it even sadder that's it underperfoming right now because this album is the best they have ever recorded IMO. I sometimes think with The Saturdays (as much as I love them) that they think their much bigger than they actually are, and that they can get off with hardly promoting which really isn't the case, they really need to work their arses off if they don't want this to flop big time, although I think they won't start any proper work on fixing this mess until January, once the tour is over. sad.gif

Another thing, they really need to start bloody trying to promote an album! Can't remember the last time in an interview that they actually mentioned an album, almost like they expect people just to find out about it.

+Quote this post
star.shine
post Nov 29 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #31
Group icon
swimming in the stars
User: 11,697
So disappointed, what actually made Chasing Lights such a success? I guess it's because they were fresh and interesting back then. I honestly think people are unaware that this album has been released.

In other news, I am yet to hear the album as my pre-ordered copy hasn't arrived. Major pisstake.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 29 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(IfUSeeBritney @ Nov 29 2011, 09:40 PM) *
So disappointed, what actually made Chasing Lights such a success? I guess it's because they were fresh and interesting back then. I honestly think people are unaware that this album has been released.

The Sats were actually very interesting back in late 2008/early 2009. 'Up' was a big success and it looked like the UK had found the next big girl group. Their careers went downhill the minute they agreed to do that Comic Relief single.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Nov 29 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
Having just looked, had On Your Radar been released after AFU and sold the exsact same amount it would have charted at #7 not #23 sad.gif

+Quote this post
Steve D
post Nov 30 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Nov 29 2011, 09:57 PM) *
The Sats were actually very interesting back in late 2008/early 2009. 'Up' was a big success and it looked like the UK had found the next big girl group. Their careers went downhill the minute they agreed to do that Comic Relief single.

Lol hardly, that song made their profile the biggest it has been.

+Quote this post
Lew
post Nov 30 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #35
Group icon
we'll run where lights won't chase us.
User: 8,567
It went right downhill after the release of FIO/Wordshaker. I could say 'Work' but selling 100k+ is good for a fifth single.

+Quote this post
mr. everything
post Nov 30 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,800
i understand why this album floped so hard, it's not good, it's full of fillers, they don't have hit, they don't promote, i can't see them releasing new single/album

this is too big flop

i want una to go solo

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 30 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Steve D @ Nov 30 2011, 10:41 AM) *
Lol hardly, that song made their profile the biggest it has been.

Profile, yes, but it was also when they started to mime every bloody performance and gave them the reputation of being the first Comic Relief single to miss #1. Their label thought they were far more popular than they were. It was after this release that everything just went pear shaped with Work missing the top 20 and then the Wordshaker era.

+Quote this post
Steve D
post Nov 30 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Nov 30 2011, 12:49 PM) *
Profile, yes, but it was also when they started to mime every bloody performance and gave them the reputation of being the first Comic Relief single to miss #1. Their label thought they were far more popular than they were. It was after this release that everything just went pear shaped with Work missing the top 20 and then the Wordshaker era.

They mimed performances before that, it wasn't the first comic relief song not to be number 1, Work missed the top 20 because of the late release, because of its late release it made it seem that wordshaker was rushed and it was released after a shoddy choice of lead single.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 30 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(Steve D @ Nov 30 2011, 03:53 PM) *
They mimed performances before that, it wasn't the first comic relief song not to be number 1, Work missed the top 20 because of the late release, because of its late release it made it seem that wordshaker was rushed and it was released after a shoddy choice of lead single.

I think you'll find 'Work' actually missed the top 20 the week that Michael Jackson death thing was in full swing, by rights it was a #17 hit. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 30 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,180
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Nov 30 2011, 12:49 PM) *

Disagree.

They where always miming performances. Did you not see them perform If This Is Love on 'GMTV'? Miming. So the whole "they where mining after Just Can't Get Enough" is balls.

'Just Can't Get Enough' may have been the first to miss #1, but funnily enough it sold more than the previous years Girls Aloud/Sugababes collaboration 'Walk This Way' and the following years The Wanted's 'Gold Forever' which also missed #1 and sold less.

For a 5th single 'Work' did reasonably well. It may have missed the Top 20, but at least it looks like it's sold more than My Heart Takes over which missed the Top 10, and is only looking at spending 2wks in the Top 40.

Everyone needs to stop looking for blame where "everything went wrong". They switched management after the Wordshaker fiasco and still that couldn't bring them to the sales of the Chasing Lights days. The public are bored with them. Face facts to put it bluntly. I'm a massive fan but it's getting beyond a joke.

This post has been edited by 2ndAdventure: Nov 30 2011, 04:01 PM

+Quote this post

32 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:11 PM