BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How does everyone find their entries?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Math!
post Aug 13 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
(✿◠‿◠)
Pronouns: new york
User: 19,852
I don't really know where to try to get new entries from... I usually use some YouTube channels like The Sound You Need and Majestic Casual and occasionally Hype Machine but most of the songs only really fit a niche audience.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 13 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Usually I go hunting on YouTube channels like those and branch out. That's how I found BH this month anyway

+Quote this post
Silas
post Aug 13 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I click on related videos and find myself down a rabbit hole and usually pick up a few gems along the way.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Aug 13 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
soundcloud trails essentially, and then go from there on out to find the youtube counterpart cos it usually has a video

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Aug 13 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
I check the Dutch Itunes ph34r.gif
On a more serious note, like most I just check "related videos" or I use an amazing release from a Dutch artist nobody knows,like Hunter

This post has been edited by *Tim: Aug 13 2014, 07:18 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 13 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Since 2013:

I Will Be Strong - Google search of new music from Nadine
Fallin' In Love - can't remember
Platinum Chains - Thermo's chart, I thought he'd send it!
Colors - Popjustice
Du & Jeg - McDonald's Copenhagen
Bad Boys Cry - Russian iTunes trawl
Thou which shalt not be mentioned again - South African iTunes trawl
58 BPM - b-side of See Right Through, which I bought the EP of
Take Me To Church - some blog, can't remember which
Because Of U - Alfitude blog
Spitfire - a guy who I was on the journalism course with introduced me to it
Atemlos Durch Die Nacht - German iTunes trawl
This Is The Life - Spanish iTunes trawl
RAMelia - on the Armin Van Buuren A State of Trance album which I bought
Auf Uns - heard it a lot in Munich
I Need You - Norwegian iTunes trawl
A Grade Playa - on Sheppard's album

So a wide range of places but iTunes trawls quite often throw up gold wub.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post Aug 13 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
since 2013 as well~

Boy Is a Bottom / just randomly came across it I think. I don't remember~
Dreams / found this song on Phèdre's debut album
Bo Peep (Do U Right) / through some blog mention or a facebook repost?
t / fav ever so yeah
Romance in F major for viola and orchestra, Op. 85 / just wanted to send something out there so found this on youtube
Pyrrhic / Julianna Barwick's album highlight.
Roo / lol i sing there so yeah~
Andvekur / vk i think. then I saw it was on blogs and stuff too.
Call Me Tonight / album highlight
Meet Me In A House Of Love / album highlight
フカヨミ / saw this album on one of the blogs or pitchfork and downloaded it as it was free~
Stockholm / discovered him and his album via vk
Sissy That Walk / RUPAUL so yeah
Impossible Soul / fav from 2010 so bye
Sola Fide / album highlight
vvi+h You / vk. via a random excruciating search through dozens of songs.
Destroy Me / discovered the guy via vk. Then downloaded all of his albums and found the song.

So many album highlights.

LISTEN TO MORE ALBUMS PEOPLE!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 13 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Most of my entries last year and this year I discovered via music subs on reddit.com but it's a bit of a mixed bag when I'm unable to find anything I can fully get behind there (which has been the case for the last few months). Since the start of 2013:

'Stars' - heard on Radio 1 (this used to be where I got all of my entries from - obviously not from the playlisted parts of Radio 1 cos anything there would either be extremely cheap or extremely unsuited to BJSC)
'Pacifica' - heard a different Kito & Reija Lee song on Radio 1 but it wasn't on the Internet anywhere, this song came up when I searched for it and it was way better anyway (the song I was looking for incidentally was 'Starting Line', the later DNQ, lawl)
'Skeletons Having Sex On A Tin Roof' - a couple-years-old obscure Internet meme from ~the weird part of YouTube~ that I sent to BJSC for the lawlz
'Eden' - heard on Radio 1
'Surph' - an old song that was playlisted on Radio 1 so may have been mildly cheap at the time but it didn't exactly do anything chart-wise so I figured it'd be safe, I was a little surprised it hadn't been sent before actually
'Break A Mirrored Leg' - found on some YouTube playlist
'Lately' - was running extremely low on inspiration so I just looked if Black Butter Records had any new releases lawl
'Cry For Freedom' - similar to 'Surph' except it wasn't playlisted (IIRC), it's not cheap and I wasn't surprised that it hadn't already been entered ~ so basically not that similar, just another song I discovered via Radio 1

The others since 2013 are just from Reddit.

I'm also eternally waiting for Aesop (record label) to put out another song as I've sent 3 of their 4 releases to BJSC - entirely coincidentally but it's certainly made me keep an eye out for them.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 13 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Guess I'll join~

You Stole That Summer - Blog/Digital Spy's 10 tracks you must hear
Land of The Innocent - As above
Glockelbar - Guardian New Music blog
Gimme Sin - As above, but found it originally the year before and couldn't send at the time due to the artist being taken.
Limitless - Think it was the same again?
Feelsolow - I found a remixed version on the Guardian blog, but that led me to the original version which I much preferred sooo
We Come Running - Guardian blog again
Flyway - and again
Odyssey Part 2 (A.G Cook Remix) - saw the original on the same blog, but I thought it might be a bit too long to send so looked on Google for a different one which led me to a remix on Soundcloud.
Did You Ever See a Llama? - Was looking for a joke entry and The Llama Song came to mind!
Un Nouveau Soleil - I saw Ali & Matthias on the Digital Spy and initially sent that, but then I looked on iTunes/Youtube at the rest of the album and after one listen well, I knew which one I preferred.
SWIM - Digital Spy blog
Cut Out Your Tongue - Guardian
Melba's Call - Guardian
Colours In The Sky - Hype Machine blog remix that led me to the original.
I Didn't Believe - Heard it on Triple J radio whilst I was down under (this radio is SO essential for you all btw, they play loads of former BJSC artists, most notably Peking Duk/Nicole Miller - High, which was played quite a bit!)

So GENERALLY, my entries have all come from two blogs, but one of them has now died (Guardian only has New Band of the Week now after the new music page stopped updating randomly in May sad.gif) and the other isn't that essential, so I'm trying to find new ways of looking, have already found some beauts elsewhere though that I will keep safe.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Aug 13 2014, 07:55 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 13 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Blogs more often these days, I have a couple that I stick closely to (mainly high volume ones so there's always new stuff there) but I'm always looking for new sources. If I see an article about an obscure crazy song that may help as well. I used to do absent-minded Youtube trawls but they're getting less effective for me these days.

Only You / can't quite remember but I closely follow Katie Sky news so likely I just heard about it, then got obsessed
Pohjanmaan Tuulia / Low-profile Scandipop article (yeah, blasphemy ohmy.gif) after Ryan nicked Wasting Water from me and I had to go looking again
Sonsick / Alfitude in Dec 2012, sent it after it being a backup for Only You
Amaranthine / one of my few successful Youtube trawls for metal bands, found 'The Nexus' first, then checked out their older stuff like this and then obtained everything they'd ever made.
Peacock / Youtube search for K-Pop because I'd decided it was about time.
The Ocean / Can't quite remember but probably just Youtube
Come Together / Youtube ages before and it was quite a dry month for me
Hold Me Down / Alfitude
Ruostunut Ankkuri / Universal Music Finland channel
Exhale / Pigeons & Planes
Seven / Through Arion's channel (which I'd subscribed to after 'Lost' from UMK 2013)
Angel With A Shotgun / One of the most popular nightcore vids on Youtube yo (with an otherwise unknown song - The Cab are a great rock band but aren't huge themselves)
Megitsune / Through a sodding BUZZFEED article sad.gif - but that doesn't matter as they are Babymetal and they will slay everything you do *.*
Paradise Awaits / Alfitude
Blood / MusicNinja
Iinadukeblue / Alfitude (although I did know of them before this, he just informed me they had a new song out)
You Can't See The World In Silence / Alfitude

I need to find some new sources or possibly branch out from the few blogs I have. Alfitude is only good because he posts so many songs there's bound to be at least one good one there every month, there is lots of stuff on there I wouldn't dream of sending.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 13 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Alex Young - Government Name - Popjustice
Jolin Tsai - Youtube related videos
Helena Paparizou - Love Me Crazy - heard her GH off the back of Baby It's Over I think...
Joe Jonas - See No More - twitter or something, I remember waiting for his music to come out
Oh My! - Kicking & Screaming - blog crawl
That Girl With Dark eyes - Drop It - ditto
HyunA - Bubble Pop - I think it was Popjustice? I just it was on there but I'm not sure if I heard it before...
Nabiha - Trouble - Scandipop
The Charlies - Monster (Eat Me) - Scandipop
Dia Frampton - Billy The Kid - bought and loved her album after liking her on The Voice and had to send the standout track
Anjulie - Stand Behind The Music - Youtube related videos
Eva Simons - I Don't Like You - blog crawl
Helena Gutarra - Tongues Of Fire - Scandipop
Nova Delai - Slippering Into Sleep - ditto
Thorunn Antonia - So High - ditto
f(x) - Electric Shock - some K-Pop blog
Guy Sebastian - Battle Scars - Aussie iTunes
Britt Love - Music Makes You Lose Control - her Facebook page
Tove Lo - Evil Spawn - Scandipop
Haloo Helsinki - Huuda! - Youtube related videos
Indiana - Bound - blog crawl
Tiny Dancer - Who Am I? - Popjustice
Maria Mena - f*** you - Scandipop
Ginny Blackmore - Bones - New Zealand itunes
Cheesa Laureta ft. Charice - I'm Not Perfect - I just seeing what Charice was up to by googling and found she featured on this
Basecamp - Emmanuel - blog crawl
Spark - Take It Back - ditto
Jackie Thomas - It's Worth It - New Zealand itunes
Aura Dione - Breathe - her artist page on Spotify
Chelsea Wolfe - Feral Love - Spotify new releases page
Mia Martina - Danse - urbanmusichq new tracks page
Fefe Dobson - Celebrate - ditto
Mélat - Balance - ditto
Odysseus - Used To Be My Friend - Buzzjack

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 13 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Hello?
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 13 2014, 08:53 PM) *
I need to find some new sources or possibly branch out from the few blogs I have. Alfitude is only good because he posts so many songs there's bound to be at least one good one there every month, there is lots of stuff on there I wouldn't dream of sending.

I met the guy who writes that blog at an event and sort of put my foot in it. I hadn't heard of it before I met him and I was like 'yeah I really only write full length features or in depth articles when I do get round to posting on my blog, I mean what's the point of just posting a load of Youtube videos with two words underneath them!' That's exactly what the blog is, oops.

It's basically just a music links site, would be good if it was a bit more discerning and he just posted one or two songs a day that he LOVES and had a longer paragraph of description underneath. 'New indie' doesn't really entice me into listening...that said, when he does put more comment like 'wow this is really special', I will be more likely to click and listen. That said, he clearly gets lots of hits judging by over 1500 Facebook likes so good for him, there's obviously success to be had from being a links site!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Aug 13 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
Twenty One Pilots - Trees = Had their album.
Tito El Bambino - Dame La Ola = Actually one of the songs for my Zumba class.
Istrumental Core - Become A Legend = Found on YouTube the same time I found Protohype for UP.
Zircon - Shadows = Same, random YouTube trawl.
Style of Eye - After Dark = Actually heard it when eating breakfast on MTV Dance after already confirming a different song. laugh.gif
Charles Murdoch - Dekire = BitCandy
M-3ox - Beating Of My Heart = EDM Sauce
Emika - She Beats = BitCandy
Elizabeth Rose - The Good Life = BitCandy
I Break Horses - Faith = BitCandy
Tritonal - Now Or Never = Looking for dance music on YouTube and already considered another song of theirs.
For BDK - What I Must Find = BitCandy
Seiho - I Feel Rave = BitCandy
Kito & Reija Lee - Starting Line = MrSuicideSheep
Solomon Grey - Electric Baby = BitCandy
Tielsie - Palette = BitCandy

A lot of my music comes from BitCandy now.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 13 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?
Any idea if For BDK's album has leaked Oliver? Apparently it came out in May in Sweden and I'm amazed to have never found it anywhere. It's not on UK iTunes either...

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 13 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 13 2014, 09:17 PM) *
I met the guy who writes that blog at an event and sort of put my foot in it. I hadn't heard of it before I met him and I was like 'yeah I really only write full length features or in depth articles when I do get round to posting on my blog, I mean what's the point of just posting a load of Youtube videos with two words underneath them!' That's exactly what the blog is, oops.

It's basically just a music links site, would be good if it was a bit more discerning and he just posted one or two songs a day that he LOVES and had a longer paragraph of description underneath. 'New indie' doesn't really entice me into listening...that said, when he does put more comment like 'wow this is really special', I will be more likely to click and listen. That said, he clearly gets lots of hits judging by over 1500 Facebook likes so good for him, there's obviously success to be had from being a links site!

Agreed with pretty much all of that second paragraph, although it is good for the purposes of potential entries from there not getting much publicity as they'll be gone in a day or two. The entries I've sent from there - if I remember all had at least a couple of sentences by him on it so that enticed me to listen more carefully. Except for You Can't See The World In Silence funnily enough, that just had 'synth-pop' but that's a genre I normally like so I took the plunge and was glad I did so.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Aug 13 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 13 2014, 09:28 PM) *
Any idea if For BDK's album has leaked Oliver? Apparently it came out in May in Sweden and I'm amazed to have never found it anywhere. It's not on UK iTunes either...

I've not been able to find it anywhere either, and it doesn't even have 'What I Must Find' on! sad.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 13 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 13 2014, 08:23 PM) *
Platinum Chains - Thermo's chart, I thought he'd send it!

I would have sent it but I sent The Aston Shuffle instead as I thought it would be more contest-friendly. So of course it DNQed whilst Platinum Chains went top 5 drama.gif

I'll bandwagon jump then:

Danny Dove & Ben Preston ft Susie Ledge 'Falling' - R1 Dance Anthems w/ Scott Mills
Elena 'Disco Romancing' - YouTube scout
Radio Killer 'Don't Let The Music End' - YouTube scout/knew them off Lonely Heart
Antillas ft Fiora 'Damaged' - Armada Music YouTube channel
Christina Walls 'Carry Me To Paradise' - YouTube scout
Airsoul 'Asia' - MoS YouTube channel
Laurentiu Duta ft Andreea Banica 'Shining Heart' - YouTube scout
Oana Tache 'Take Control' - YouTube scout
Adrian Lux ft Dante 'Burning' - Ultra Music YouTube channel
Andreea Banica 'Could U' - Cat Music YouTube channel/knew her off Shining Heart
Netsky 'Love Has Gone' - MoS compilation
EDX 'Touched' - Beatport Top 100
Hardwell ft Amba Shephard 'Apollo' - Beatport Top 100
Flume ft Moon Holiday 'Insane' - His song Holdin' On was in the Australian charts, I scouted on YouTube for his other songs and found this which I preferred
The Aston Shuffle vs Tommy Trash 'Sunrise (Won't Get Lost)' - Beatport Top 100
Quintino & Alvaro 'World In Our Hands' - Spinnin' Records YouTube channel
Stone & Van Linden 'Summerbreeze' - Was on a foreign 'The Annual' compilation which I found the track listing of on YouTube. Sent it over a year after I discovered it partly due to me not having much other options but mostly due to me rediscovering it from a library shuffle
Cahill ft Kimberley Locke 'Feel the Love' - was in the iTunes dance albums top 200 as a pre-order
Kat Krazy ft elkka 'Siren' - I liked his remix of Pompeii so searched for his original stuff and found this
Tiesto, Mark Alston, Baggi Begovic & Jason Taylor feat. Teddy Geiger 'Love and Run' - Spinnin' Records YouTube channel
Arty ft Jenson Vaughan 'It's All Relative' - I follow Arty on spotify so this new song came up on my notifications list
Steve Aoki, Chris Lake, Tujamo 'Boneless' - Beatport Top 100
4 Strings ft Neev Kennedy 'This Heart Is Yours' - Spinnin' Records YouTube channel
Mar 'Man x Woman' - Majestic Casual YouTube channel
Oliver Heldens 'Gecko' - Spinnin' Records YouTube channel
Laurel 'Fire Breather (Nexity Remix)' - found Nexity from their song Jungle being #1 on Spinnin' Talent Pool chart (which I don't actually look at often so this was a good find) and followed their YouTube channel where this was uploaded
Ferreck Dawn & Redondo 'Love Too Deep' - Beatport Top 100
Tez Cadey 'Seve' - YouTube scout
BH ft Aloma Steele 'Hold On' - YouTube scout

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 13 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Hello?
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 13 2014, 09:31 PM) *
Agreed with pretty much all of that second paragraph, although it is good for the purposes of potential entries from there not getting much publicity as they'll be gone in a day or two. The entries I've sent from there - if I remember all had at least a couple of sentences by him on it so that enticed me to listen more carefully. Except for You Can't See The World In Silence funnily enough, that just had 'synth-pop' but that's a genre I normally like so I took the plunge and was glad I did so.

As I think back, I may have found Take Me To Church on there:

http://alfitude.com/2013/10/16/new-music-hozier/

I think I wanted to watch the powerful video! Just saying 'gutsy blues' doesn't do the song any justice at all though, and I personally feel like the point of a music blog is to try to get people to interact with the content by selling the song/review whatever in the description. I do keep it bookmarked just so I don't miss the odd gem though I must admit.

QUOTE(Oliver @ Aug 13 2014, 09:33 PM) *
I've not been able to find it anywhere either, and it doesn't even have 'What I Must Find' on! sad.gif

How bizarre!

+Quote this post
p a v
post Aug 13 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #19
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 14 2014, 12:28 AM) *

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Aug 13 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
of Verona - Dark in My Imagination: erm I'm not even sure! I just remember wanting to send a song by them.
Young Summer - Fever Dream: I think this was just through related videos on YouTube?
Jacob Banks - Worthy: Through 'Doing OK' and a tweet by Chris Stark talking about his solo music
Blood Orange - Champagne Coast: Through Spotify idk why
Tomas Barfod feat Nina K - Pulsing: Hype Machine I think?
Ed Thomas - Hurt: I can't remember how I found this, it wasn't because of his Chase & Status feature because I wasn't even aware until after I'd sent it and I don't think it was through blogs/Hype Machine.
PrinzeGeorge - Victor: Through related videos on YouTube I think but it might have been through Hype Machine
Halsey - New Americana: I'm sure I found this through the recommendations on Soundcloud after listening to Cash+David
Nina Yasmineh - Prophecy: A specific search through Hype Machine which led me to look at Nina's Soundcloud page where I found this.
Cash+David - Pulse: Hype Machine.
Vanic x machineheart - Circles: Found the original through Hype Machine but didn't send it because I felt it was lacking something. Saw I recognised the name on a YouTube page sometime later so took a listen!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:59 PM